1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Turbine, Generator rewinding

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ColoradoTJ, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Mar 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    We just run NG. I have heard some pretty good reasons not to run anything else.

2. Mar 8, 2017 at 11:11 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Hsd ( high sulfer diesel) leaves a carbon build up behind till you reach tot in normal range. I'm assuming your tot is around 750f or 850f?

Where ng leaves nothing behind no residue.

3. Mar 8, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    We don't use dual fuel.

@FirstGenTundra

4. Mar 8, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    That's why your (hot section) looks nice and clean ng only very smart they are.

5. Mar 8, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Muleycrazy13

Muleycrazy13 New Member

Member:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 Crewmax
    Toyota spray in bed liner/ 30" LED Lightbar/ Pro Comp Pro Runner SS @ 2.5"/ Husky Xact fronts/ Weathertech rear/ NFAB steps/ 275/70R18 BFG KO2's/ LED interior from GTR lighting/ Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer brake Controller
    Pretty cool thread i also work with combustion turbines,hrsgs steam turbines etc. For a big utility company in Az. @ColoradoTJ already knew that tho! We just had a big uh oh at my plant yesterday. We have 3 units thats are comb. Turbine generator and steam turbine all on the same shaft. They have little hrsgs on them. Supposedly only 11 left in the world and we have 3 of them. Anyway the gas turbine side uses Fryquel (hydraulic fluid) while the steam turbine has its own lube oil system which runs a turbine oil 32.. well we were just about done with this outage when we realized we have an oil leak. Come to find out one of the fryquel line runs inside of a larger pipe which also has a steam turbine lube oil line running thru it. For those of you whom dont know they double wall the pipes so that in the event of an leak it would be contained and drain back to the oil sump or tank. Well that particular fryquel line never got tested because the limit switch which tells the turbine conttrol valves to dump the control oil in the event of an trip had been held in the tripped position. One of our fine operators found this and reset it as it should be. Well that fryquel line had a leak and not just a little one it dumped almost 400 gallons of fryquel into our steam turbine lube oil sump and overflowed it luckily it has a nice big containment. So now i am sitting here pumping oil with sump pumps so we can identify the leak and make repairs. Also the steam turbine lube oil is now trash we are talking about 1500 gallons of oil maybe more. Plus we had to refill the gas turbine side with fryquel which is a cool $51.00 a gallon!!

6. Mar 8, 2017 at 12:53 PM
    BillE

BillE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra Platinum
    None so far
    Thats pretty jacked. Look at the bright side, at least you'll run again. I remember back in my submarine days, I had to dive full oil bildges and clean that out by hand and a wetvac. Also, a couple of our sister plants have "corn cobbed" their turbines, and another sister plant out by Boron had it's A & B cells of their cooling tower completely collapse while there were contractors running out, which was the final straw to just shut down the entire plant. Luckily you had secondary containment, if our LO sumps overflowed it would go straight into the rocks/dirt which would be an environmental nightmare.

Muleycrazy13 and ColoradoTJ[OP] like this.
  7. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:07 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Ah, I get what your saying now. :thumbsup:

Those are new Turbine buckets, and why they look so clean.

8. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:17 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    OUCH!!!! I was wondering how your outage was going.....sounds like mine bud.

We are looking at some off-road trails in your area for some fall fun. The Rubicon and Johnson Valley trip is not happening now. (Two of us would need non-commercial CDL licenses to enter that state with our loads) Might have to get a tour.

Muleycrazy13[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    What kind of turbines where they? There is a PAC case out on Frame 7 GE turbines where R0 blades are liberating. It damn near happened to us, and we had no indication this was happening.

Here is the interesting part. For some of the people that don't know, some utilities purchase Long Term Service Agreements with the manufacturer. Each contract is differently set up. Back in 2010 our management decided to re-negotiated our LTSA for cheaper service agreements. Guess what equipment they decided to leave out? Yep....our Generators. LMFAO

Now for some reason our upper management wants to get rid of our LTSA all together. Just to put this in perspective, the LTSA gives us the people, parts, and service when stuff like this happens. Last year GE gave us a 750k dollar upgrade to our operating system to serve us better. These LTSA contracts also usually do 24/7 online monitoring of our turbines.

It might get a little sporty at this Utility company. 7 more years, 4 months, 15 days.....

Muleycrazy13 likes this.
  10. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    Muleycrazy13

Muleycrazy13 New Member

Member:
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM TRD 4x4 Crewmax
    Toyota spray in bed liner/ 30" LED Lightbar/ Pro Comp Pro Runner SS @ 2.5"/ Husky Xact fronts/ Weathertech rear/ NFAB steps/ 275/70R18 BFG KO2's/ LED interior from GTR lighting/ Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer brake Controller
    Ha ha this outage was supposed to be over dang it ha ha. But like mentioned above at least they are fixing it all. Our big 2x1 should be good to go some time nest week. That unit had a crack in the main steam stop valve housing kinda scary they are fixing it up but one area ill be steering clear of ha ha!

11. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:39 PM
    BillE

BillE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    None so far
    We had an LTSA for about 10 years then dumped them. Very expensive and GE parts are very expensive, for example our R0 blades were quoted by GE to be I want to say over 2 mill, and Alstom jumped in and offered an aftermarket set compatible with the GE 7FA's for like 700k. We took the Alstom ones and haven't had any problems. Ironically, however, I'm pretty sure GE owns Alstom now, lol.

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  12. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Lol..

I have been around the orenda gas turbines in banks of 9 each and 8 banks. they where for stand by power.

13. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh, that should give a warm and fuzzy. So is this MS stop valve on the ST or ?

14. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:43 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    That must have been pretty sweet! Got any pics of that Mike?

15. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    I wasn't allowed to do security reasons. :-( they took our phones and secured them for us. Assholes.

Edit tho I did get to watch a start-up and go-to max power and go full power grid.The ground was moving all I will say.

16. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh I know they are expensive, but if you are a small utility company without Turbine mechanics/engineers/tooling it can be dissasterous. Bigger utility companies with the resources can pull away from those contracts easy.

Do you guys have Autotune and do your own monitoring or still contract that out?

With our R0 blade replacement, it was 600k.

You are correct. GE purchased Alstom. Kinda funny because they are very separate still. Kind of weird when they are both on site. Should be interesting come this fall when both are back together.

17. Mar 8, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Well I can understand that. I bet it was a cool experience.

What were you doing for them? I guess that I really don't know a whole lot about you Mike, but figured you were definitely an engineer. I do know you made some cool shit with a printer though. :cool:

18. Mar 8, 2017 at 2:09 PM
    BillE

BillE New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vehicle:
    None so far
    Well we still use GE for tuning on a per job basis amongst other things, but after running the numbers, it was not worth having the LTSA, yes they are convenient, and are a huge help, but not completely necessary from what we've seen. It ended up just being much cheaper to source our own work as needed.

19. Mar 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    We had to borrow some of there land they where cool enough to show few of us around screwed them up when I said wait that's a orenda turbine there mouths went open and showed me everything...lol

My work ugh if I can quit working road I would man. Doing strange stuff all I can say :). But I am the boss so. But I'm cool I respect everyone but don't screw up I'm your nightmare.

My printing work is nothing. Made some cool stuff for people with it. But I'm a perfectionist on stuff with the engineering part.

20. Mar 8, 2017 at 2:15 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh yeah, I get you still source out the work. Hell you can do a lot better like you said than an LTSA. I'm all for getting away from them, but not in the way we are going about it. Our management wants to do all Turbine work with our own Turbine team we build (full time employees of our company).

21. Mar 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    Thegr8punkin

Thegr8punkin A G.D.M/Sofa King Cool/COTJ's dreamboat

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    And I'm sitting over here building wind turbine blades :wave:

22. Mar 8, 2017 at 3:58 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    What do you do for Vestas? (Welding etc)

23. Mar 8, 2017 at 4:03 PM
    Thegr8punkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    Welding? Lol the blades are all fiberglass and resin. I'm just a lowly ant on the production floor

24. Mar 8, 2017 at 4:15 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh, is that all they make there then?

25. Mar 8, 2017 at 4:18 PM
    Thegr8punkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    Yup only the blades in Windsor. The othe components are built throughout CO

26. Mar 8, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Ah cool. Learned something new. I figured it was a one stop shop.

27. Mar 8, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    Thegr8punkin

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers
    Nope. There is another blade plant in brighten as well as the Nacell plant there and then the tower plant is in grand junction or pueblo, I forget exactly

Black Wolf and ColoradoTJ[OP] like this.
  28. Mar 8, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    That's cool as shit. When I worked for SoCal Edison's cal lab, next door to our building was SCE's armature refurb group. Some were from dam generators and from SCE San Onofre nuke plant. Freaking huge. Just like your pics. Freaking amazing.

29. Mar 8, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way

Where I work...Vestas is one of our biggest clients. We recently picked up Windsor facility. Already have been calibrating Brighton and Pueblo units test equipment. Extra paperwork bs for Vestas is a PITA. Great contract tho....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  30. Mar 8, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Pueblo.

Thegr8punkin[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top