1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog lights not working after 2018 headlight upgrade

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Sas, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Sep 8, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    Sas

Sas [OP] Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    Relay just came in, got it installed and voilà!

Finally, closure.

2. Sep 8, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Looks sick man

Sas[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 8, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I like happy endings! Did you do the anytime fog mod? Must have if you haven’t.

4. Sep 8, 2018 at 1:20 PM
    Sas

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Lost track after #1.
    No, not quite sure what that does TBH. When I initially heard that I was thinking they were turning on w/the headlights. I don't want that. If there's no precipitation/fog outside that'll get you a ticket in this state.

5. Sep 8, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Oh wow. They are that strict over there? The anytime fog mod let’s you turn your fogs on or off with just the park lamps on. It does not automatically turn them on. It also keeps the fogs on when using high beams.

6. Sep 8, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    Sas

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Lost track after #1.
    That seems useful. I'll have to look that one up, thanks!

7. Sep 8, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    Sas

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Lost track after #1.
    And yeah, it's actually even a little more restrictive than that.

§47-12-217. Auxiliary, fog, and off-road lamps.
    A. As used in this article:
    1. “Auxiliary driving lamp” means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle;
    2. "Daytime running lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle that will assist to identify its presence to other vehicles and pedestrians at times other than those specified in subsection B of Section 12-201 of this title;
    3. “Front fog lamp” means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the front of a motor vehicle during conditions of rain, snow, fog, dust, or other atmospheric disturbances;
    4. "Rear fog lamp" means a lamp mounted to provide illumination to the rear of a motor vehicle during conditions of rain, snow, fog, dust, or other atmospheric disturbances;
    5. "Off-road lamp" means any lamp designed and manufactured solely for off-road use; and
    6. “Spot lamp” means a movable lamp which emits a brilliant light with a focused beam for examining objects, street address numbers, and other things alongside the road.
    B. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps which shall not be used in substitution of headlamps.
    C. The operator of any motor vehicle:
    1. Which has in use a spot lamp shall, upon the approach of another vehicle from any direction within one thousand (1,000) feet, immediately turn said spot lamp off;
    2. Shall not use or turn on a spot lamp when approaching or following another motor vehicle within one thousand (1,000) feet; and
    3. Shall not use or turn on a spot lamp to cause a vehicle to yield right-of-way or stop.
    The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to operators of authorized emergency vehicles.
    D. 1. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two front fog lamps or two rear fog lamps which shall only be used when visibility, as described in paragraphs 3 and 4 of subsection A of this section, is limited to one-half (1/2) mile or less.
    2. Front fog lamps shall be mounted on the same level on opposite sides of the front of the vehicle at or below the level of the headlamps. Front fog lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps. Front fog lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps, when headlamps are required.
    E. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted at a height of more than forty-two (42) inches from the ground. The auxiliary driving lamps may be used with lower beam headlamps or switch controlled in conjunction with the headlamps and may be used, at the discretion of the driver, with either low or high beam headlamps.
    F. Every fog lamp or auxiliary driving lamp used upon a motor vehicle shall be so adjusted and aimed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam shall, at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet, rise above the horizontal plane passing through the center of the lamp.
    G. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with off-road lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off of a highway. The lamps shall be:
    1. Mounted at a height of not less than forty-two (42) inches from the ground;
    2. Wired independently of all other lighting; and
    3. Turned off whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway.
    H. 1. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two daytime running lamps which conform to 49 C.F.R., Section 571.108, S5.5.11.
    2. Daytime running lamps shall not be used in substitution of headlamps.
    3. Daytime running lamps shall be mounted on the front of a motor vehicle and shall be wired to be:
    a. automatically activated when the vehicle is started, and
    b. automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any "on" position.

Technically it's illegal for us to drive around and have the NSV bar's DRLs on because they don't turn off when the headlamps turn on, and they also don't qualify as auxiliary lights because they are more than 42" from the ground.

8. Sep 8, 2018 at 3:00 PM
    wigsplitter

wigsplitter New Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TSS Crew Max
    Looks great!! My first base in Air Force was Altus. I had a small Nissan pickup truck and was driving when I saw the red and blues flashing behind me. I pulled over the first place I could and before I knew it I had guns drawn on me. I got pulled over for having my fogs on during the evening with no "inclement weather"! I was like WTF?! Guns for fogs on...wow!!!

What is that on your hood? Bug defector? I've never seen one like that before...

9. Sep 8, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    Sas

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    Lost track after #1.
    Thanks!

Lol, those fogs could've been harboring laser beams powerful enough to cut metal though - totally justified! I got a ticket for them being on in Tulsa way back when I was a teen. Been mindful of them ever since. Such a dumb thing to get a ticket for.

It's a Tough Guard shield. It does a fair job of deflecting bugs, but isn't really a true bug deflector. More like a debris and bad ass looking shield lol. This is the one I have. They also have a smooth one if you wanted to paint it.
    https://www.formfithoodprotectors.com/product/toyota-tundra-2014-up-textured-tough-guard/

wigsplitter[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Nov 7, 2018 at 10:41 PM
    RLHULK

RLHULK Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    Interesting, I have never had a issue.

11. Dec 16, 2020 at 5:49 AM
    Motor71

Motor71 teufel hunden

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra platinum
    TRD sway bar, matching mirror cover, 20% tint, esp aluminum box, Line-X premium, Undercover Flex tonneau cover, led interior lights, winjet smoked tail lights. Road armor rear bumper w/ road armor shackles, go rhino front bumper.
    Have the same issue, after installing the nsv light bar my fog lights and taillights are not working. I changed the relay under the hood, still doesnt work. I checked the fuse under the driver side dash and its good, any other possible cause to the problem? How many fuses are there for the fog lights?

Products Discussed in

To Top