1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust recommendations

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Itsxthebk14, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Sep 8, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    Itsxthebk14

Itsxthebk14 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra sr5 crew cab 4.7L V8
    None
    Hi first time posting and first time doing custom/aftermarket add ons to a vehicle was wondering what exhausts systems are compatible with my Tundra does it have to be a specific make and model or can be any style, I'm interested in maganflow maybe flowmaster, I want a deep throaty quality sound not excessively loud but maybe moderately aggressive I know when I search my year tundra a few options from different brands pop up but was wondering am I limited to those options or any exhaust system pretty much. Thanks, posting from Schenectady NY

2. Sep 8, 2022 at 12:20 PM
    shifty`

shifty` One great big festering neon distraction

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Since you really won't gain any real-world performance out of these trucks by changing the exhaust unless you get crazy with long tubes (and even then, minimal gain) you may as well just slap a new Magnaflow muffler on it and call it a day.

Don't bother with aftermarket intakes either. Dyno testing has proven the OEM airbox with paper filter generates more horsepower than K&N and other oiled filters.

Toyota really has the engines buttoned up, optimized about as far as they can go, you'll hear that over and over again...

10TundraSR5 and Riverdale21 like this.
  3. Sep 8, 2022 at 12:21 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
  4. Sep 8, 2022 at 12:28 PM
    Itsxthebk14

Itsxthebk14 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra sr5 crew cab 4.7L V8
    None
    I want to get an exhaust for the sound like I described not for performance and I'm not doing any intake or anything like that just wheels tires lift and exhaust for now

5. Sep 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Cool story, click the link I posted and listen away bud. Find what sounds good to you and the rest is wallet. :D

Kimosabe and MNtundra like this.
  6. Sep 9, 2022 at 3:58 AM
    Riverdale21

Riverdale21 Speed seeker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    OTP ATL
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 Tundra TRD Off Road
    Dirt Deeds injectors, Addco rear sway, AEM dry flow air filter, last ever set of Stan's Try-Y headers, Borla full custom exhaust, front level, wheel spacers, and lots of electronics.
    I was after similar specs. Start cheap by deleting your center resonator. That will give you an increase in average sound a throttle growl. See if that will suit your wants for starters.

If that's not enough what you're looking for is a 2.5" system, WITH a resonator. A lot of aftermarket stuff doesn't come with one.

I went full custom 2.5" single exit Borla. Can't even tell there's an exhaust at cruising speeds but dip into the throttle and you get a deep rumble. And wide open it has a good sporty sound at reasonable volume.

It's hard to convey the sound of an exhaust in a video. You can get the tone but hard to tell the bass of it.

shifty` likes this.
  7. Sep 9, 2022 at 4:41 AM
    10TundraSR5

10TundraSR5 Happy Tundra owner

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tundra SR5
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!
    This pretty much sums it up BUT you can't go wrong with @dirtydeeds and TRD exhaust systems. Keith over at Dirty Deeds is a top notch guy and knows these trucks inside and out. Great to talk to as well! Those two and Magnaflow would be my recommendations. I went TRD and threw in a TRD air filter as well then called it a day. I have no complaints.

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 9, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Dunno about the 2nd gens, but I've heard some complaints of drone between 50-65mph / 1900-2200 rpm on 1st gen trucks using the DD setup. Granted, so do dozens of other setups, so it's not like this is something specific to DD, they make great stuff.

If OP never drives highway speeds, it's a moot point. But for someone that does a lot of highway miles, it can be maddening.

FrenchToasty and shoe07 like this.
  9. Sep 12, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my 50 series Delta Flow Flowmaster muffler on my 1GT 4.7L. It’s been on there for 15 years or so. At times I wish it was just a bit louder. At times I wish it was just a bit quieter. Probably right in the sweet spot. Sound is great. Nice start up growl and a deep throaty Flowmaster sound. I had them remove the stock muffler, weld the Flowmaster in and do dual turn downs I’ve rather axle.

10. Sep 12, 2022 at 7:35 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    F8412EB0-EA08-4697-9C2E-611A6E98FDCA.jpg

bmf4069 and shifty` like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top