1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol-Free vs. Premium?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by 53flattie, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Oct 11, 2019 at 9:37 AM
    Yodder J

Yodder J New Member

Member:
    Northwest Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tundra SR5 4WD DC
    DAP Tune, Truxedo ProX15 bed cover, WildPeak AT3s
    Also I use BG 44k fuel system cleaner which is nothing more than jet fuel that cleans out your injectors and fuel system by heating up the combustion and basically burning everything out the tail pipe. It's expensive stuff, approximately $25 for 11oz can but it works pretty good and you can get it just about anywhere.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. Oct 11, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Because E0 has more energy (BTUs) per the identical fluid measure than E10. Think of E0 as pure 100% Mountain Dew and E10 as 90% Mountain Dew and 10% urine.

danno266 likes this.
  3. Oct 11, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    Octane is a rating assigned to gasoline to rate it's ability to resist compression before it ignites on its own. If you compress an air/gas mixture enough it will explode before the spark plug fires. It's what creates ping and knock, and blows holes thru the tops of pistons and bends rods.

Maybe it's my ignorance here but I don't understand how a tune can create the need for a higher octane rating. What is a tune doing to the engine to increase the pressures inside the combustion chamber that is creating a risk for pre-ignition? There is nothing about high octane fuel that creates "more power".

If I were you I wouldn't worry about ethanol vs non-ethanol. 10% isn't much of a blend and it doesn't require a FFV. FFV means it can run on E85, which is 85% ethanol. If you want to be extremely technical about it, ethanol free gasoline will have the most energy potential in your truck but I doubt you'd notice it anywhere other than on a dyno. I could be wrong. Run a few tanks of each. Do a few 0-60 runs and track your MPG.

4. Oct 11, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    A tune can, and often does, change the timing.

5. Oct 11, 2019 at 10:00 AM
    jtaco11

jtaco11 New Member

Member:
    gas is gas pump the cheapest 87 Costco/arco save $$$ for mods

6. Oct 11, 2019 at 10:07 AM
    19TurdPro

19TurdPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    Ah yes, advancing the timing. Slipped my mind.

7. Oct 11, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    KtootY

KtootY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Inferno Orange 4x4
    Stock as yet. New to me!
    https://www.pure-gas.org/

Might be surprised how many stations near you sell ethanol free fuel. I’m lucky in my tiny town of Elizabethton, TN.

8. Oct 11, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    They have a phone app too (iOS and Android).

KtootY[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 11, 2019 at 10:44 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Better for your pocketbook to just run 87. As far as the engine goes I see no difference. You are just blowing dollar bills out the tailpipe. I ran 93 in my modded Mercury outboard with milled heads and about 20-25% higher compression than stock but in the Tundra it is not necessary. Modern engines are designed to handle a little bit of corn juice. The only problem you might run in to is if the vehicle is not driven regularly. My boat can handle 10% ethanol but I use ethanol free only because of usage and a 95 gallon tank.

Products Discussed in

To Top