1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drop bracket mid travel

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Basemodel07, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Nov 26, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    Rubberdown

Rubberdown Spilling my guts here.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Just buy an old Benz if you want reliable. My SL starts every time if I keep it on a battery tender. And that’s only because I never drive it. And noooooo ethanol gas!

2. Dec 20, 2021 at 10:31 PM
    Sequoia4trails

Sequoia4trails New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle:
    07 sequoia
    Ome 3” rear springs cheap 30” shocks rancho’s in the front (for now) poly bushing upper arms 35’s on stock wheels 2” wheel spacers all the way around my brand winch bumper and rear carrier .. air tank rear pull out tools lights bla bla bla
    I’m offering some advice for anyone reading this far in 2021 take it with a grain of salt…or ten What I find most interesting about this thread after reading all most all of it .. no one talks about track width. Can you wheel with long travel.. sure… kinda.. depends on your definition of “wheeling” Can a properly shocked bumped strapped mid travel truck keep up with a long travel truck through high speed stuff …sure.. kinda , can a properly built drop bracket kit and big 40” tires wheel.. yep I know a few drop bracket guys with 40’s nice shocks and upper control arms that would make a truck on 35’s or 37’ lt or not look silly.. given the right obstacles.. the trick to all this stuff is being honest with your self on a few points.. what am I going to do with it:
    Can a tundra on 37’s make it up the rubicon yep (the real black pearl) but expect dents possible winch work better have a serous spotter that knows you and your trucks abilities skid plates bla bla it’s not what you buy it’s how you build it most important part of that build: what you do with the space between the steering wheel and the driver seat. What are your expected ventures going to be? have others wheeled said places in a similar truck and if so how did they do? What lines did they take was it easy or did they struggle and why what was their build.. don’t be afraid to ask these guys questions we are all in this together.. Small tight tree infested or switch back crazy bolder ridden trails probably not doing those in a fiberglass fender/bedside long travel equipped 0 offset wheel having full-size truck. Big open trail yeah why not. A stock tundra has a wide track width in my opinion I own a 2011 crew max trd 4x4 given most of the trails I wheel add offset wheels or a 2.5-3+ bla bla long travel kit and the grove you used to take in a stock width truck is no longer possible ..that rock you used to miss or ledges and drop offs you missed now your going to hit them. If you have a stock truck or haven’t wheeled bla bla bla areas.. find a 4wd club (most states even have tundra groups) and ask to go out to those areas with them on a run. Be honest with your self on the real $$$. If you have fab skills do it your self just don’t skimp on the material and parts you use sure you can save some coin but in the end you’ll save yourself a major headache and set backs that will cost you later anyway.. you can’t fab.. expect to get ripped off (oops did I type that out loud) by people who can so factor that in your budget.. would I spend 11k on a lsk lt race kit.. and still have to spend another 7-10k on the rear suspension.. nope I sure wouldn’t but I’m a cheap ass and can make my own stuff am I making fun of someone spending their hard earned money on something they want absolutely not. Spend away my friends spend away you only live once ..I’m lazy and would love for someone else to wrench on my stuff so I don’t have to.. but my wife is hot and as a result I have 5 kids so my cheapness and lack of coin over rides my laziness. Build it or buy it but most importantly have fun film all that you do and post it for others to learn from and enjoy life is too short for all the stupid bs ok I’ve said enough have a good day

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  3. Jan 13, 2022 at 7:00 AM
    KevinK

KevinK SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    That was an entertaining read.

And for what it’s worth, we stayed mid travel instead of long travel for the very reasons you mentioned. We built the mid travel to go as fast as possible, so we can do like 90% the speed on 90% the trails of LT, but also still just narrow enough to fit on smaller trails.

We did however do 0 offset wheels and front glass, so we’re a little wider than stock, but not too bad.

2807B0C8-DA4B-4240-ABB9-70DA3B514F1F.jpg

80B12765-AD59-48A9-9B9E-FD23D4A8388B.jpg

4. Jan 13, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    Sequoia4trails

Sequoia4trails New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Vehicle:
    07 sequoia
    Ome 3” rear springs cheap 30” shocks rancho’s in the front (for now) poly bushing upper arms 35’s on stock wheels 2” wheel spacers all the way around my brand winch bumper and rear carrier .. air tank rear pull out tools lights bla bla bla
    Thanks I aim to please. All joking aside when I first bought the 2011 tundra I have I did research looking for people who wheeled their tundras but other than a very few “public builds” there is not much out there..tundra guys so far seem to be very private back then the truck changed direction became my wife’s daily and has served as a tow rig..now 3 years later after taking the tundra along with my sequoia 4000+ miles across the country my wife has decided that I should leave the sequoia (give it to my son)build the tundra as a double duty tow/trail rig and that’s what brought me here.. searching again for what people run and why. I’ve seen videos.. black pearl .. Pluto bla bla and some of yours actually after being referred to them and this very forum. I have only seen some overland style builds around town and got to see the “flatbedtundra40” in person and talk with the owner at coffee and crawlers last month but I have never seen any tundra out on any trails I’ve taken mine but only a handful of times and now I’m starting to build it .. kinda lol I’ve learned that tundra stuff is stupid expensive and some of it is not well thought out.. $1500 for traction bars that hang below the leaf springs.. sure they will help your 1200 leaf springs live longer but I can build a traction bar for less than 200 bucks using heims and dom that works with articulation and does not hang lower than the drive shaft or leaf springs. I get it people need to make money but some of it is a little silly if you ask me. Any way I’m in Mesa area again for a month or two maybe I’ll see you around I’m going to try and get to the “tundrastosedona” thing but we will see. I’d love to see your truck in person some time and better yet see you wheel it so let me know if your taking it out somewhere
    Have a great day.

5. Jan 14, 2022 at 8:58 PM
    KevinK

KevinK SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    oh man that’s awesome you’re in AZ. And Mesa is just down the street from us in Ahwatukee.
    Hop onto the Facebook if you want to meet and wheel with more tundras out here. I’m barely active on the forums anymore. I hate Facebook, but it’s where all the Tundra activity is now, so that’s where I keep up with who’s going on what trails when.

Arizona Tundras Group #AZTG seems like the big one for the Phoenix area. I’m Kevin Kavanagh if you find me there send a DM and I’ll let you know when we hit the trails next.

6. Mar 19, 2022 at 8:35 AM
    azTony

azTony member since sept, 2017 and over 1,600 messages

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Sun Lakes, AZ
    Vehicle:
    *** OV Tune Order #4481 *** ECU 0CN21 ***
    2018 Tundra Platinum with Icon Stage 9 w/3.0 and billet UCA, Harrop Elockers, 5.29 on 37’s

I do not see many if any invites to wheeling on AzTundras Facebook but you see a lot of pics afterwards

7. Mar 19, 2022 at 9:07 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Lot of wheeling groups/clicks so to speak. There are a few posted in the events tab.

Products Discussed in

To Top