1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drop bracket mid travel

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Basemodel07, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Sep 5, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    papasmurf

papasmurf Savage Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    OH..... well well well what do we have here....do I sense a thread full of bull shit with unsubstantiated claims ? why yes yes I do.

where oh where do we start... well first and foremost @osidepunker is 100% correct.

secondly whatever this assumed magic that a BDS kit will provide some newfound abilities is a load of horse crap. A bracket lift is nothing more than an oversized spacer lift.

Pro's of a bracket lift is a higher truck, all this nonsense about approach and departure angles is hooey, you may gain an inch or two of hight but your cross member is actually lower than stock so is that hight as beneficial, no it's not. What it does do for you on clearance is nothing more than false hope. Your cross members hang lower than stock, and your lower control arms are still in the same place. That's the issue. Sure you can run 37's (which you can do on MT) and larger. At what cost, weight, having to re-gear, adding hundreds of lbs of unsprung and sprung weight to your suspension, decreasing performance and braking capabilities. Increased stress on steering, suspension components, and driveline. Yes, you can overcome all these factors with the added cost of power adder's, bigger or better brakes, and more maintenance and complications.

But let's get to the heart of the issue. Bracket lifts are bolt on, made of mild steel (for the spindles, already pointed out by Alex) and the rest is not nearly as strong as parts made by other manufacturers and/or Toyota. I owned a BDS kit this comes from experience. It's a nice kit, works really well and is good. I have one for sale speak of... but don't think somehow a BDS and some coil overs will be better than a full MT setup. It won't. Let me know when you constantly have alignment problems and bent spindles along with the myriad of issues I've already discussed.

Now if you want to go with a BDS kit or the likes, by all means, go for it, your money and time. Not a single person will stop you. But trying to pass it off as some magic formula no one has thought about or done is bull crap. Not to mention saying it will outperform because of misunderstood benefits is also crap. There is a reason every rock crawler, ultra4, trophy truck etc doesn't run bracket lifts or the like, they run low CoG, high travel #s with lots of flex. None of those can be achieved with a bracket lift.

I think this sums it up..

[​IMG]

2. Sep 5, 2018 at 10:33 AM
    zackbremer

zackbremer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Da Z
    sounds like you answered your own question..if youre not going to really wheel it...get coilovers and UCA because then itll ride like a cadddy not a lifted jeep and youll gain some offroadability(my word dont take it) and build a jeep or w.e to crawl with

osidepunker and dcsleeper408 like this.
  3. Sep 5, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    Basemodel07

Basemodel07 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    Front bumper Leveling kit
    I'm not attempting to build a trophy truck that is not what I want. I see your point of the front x-member being lower now I hadn't thought of that. Solid axles are my stuff, not ifs. Anyway I'm not claiming this is some magic combo no one has ever thought of I started out by asking why no one was doing it. Also this wasn't about just the bds lift it was the bds plus custom coilovers and uca's. The thought process was a taller mid travel

Darkness and papasmurf[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Sep 5, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    When I first bought the truck I said I wasnt going to wheel it, I thought it was obvious that my plans to wheel it changed when I said I wanted to wheel with rubuicons

5. Sep 5, 2018 at 10:46 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    07 Silver Sky 4x4 | Total Chaos LT | 2.5 King Coil overs & Bypasses | Camburg Bed Cage | 3.0 King Bypasses | 2.0 King Bumps | Custom Deavers | Nitro 4.88's | ARB Locker | Demello Sliders | 17" Double Standards | BFGKO2 37's |
    Not directed at you specifically, so don't think I was coming down on you. I get it, I ran a BDS kit w 37's and 2.5 coil overs and UCA's. It was ok, I went for rides in full MT setups and LT trucks and it is night and day better than the BDS setup, hence me ditching it for LT. I've done far more in my LT and I've seen guys do in full MT than I would have done in the BDS setup. The risk was way too high of breaking something (which I did) or outright crashing...

6. Sep 5, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    If you are trying to wheel like the jeeps, SAS with coil overs and be done, it will ride great if done correctly and outperform any IFS truck for that purpose. If that's not an option start with MT setup and go from there

ColoradoTJ, KevinK, 831Tun and 3 others like this.
  7. Sep 5, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    zackbremer

zackbremer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Da Z
    also pretty sure doing a full SAS swap on a tundra is going to run the cost of a full LT build

8. Sep 5, 2018 at 10:55 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    yeah it would, but for rock crawling it would be better.

KevinK and dcsleeper408 like this.
  9. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:12 AM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    Dont have the time or money currently to sas I suppose at the moment m/t is the route to start at and see how I like it

Sunnier and KevinK like this.
  10. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    Nah with the low price of super duty axles I'm sure I could do it for 5-6k

OBXTundra and dcsleeper408 like this.
  11. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    KevinK

KevinK SGU - High Speed Overlander

Member:
    Back in Arizona. Again.
    Vehicle:
    SGU - Speed Glampers Uberfahrt
    Tundras to Sedona
    I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, except to point out that OP has a regular cab short bed according to his profile - which is an excellent platform contender for rock crawling as far as Tundras go.

We're lifted 2/1 with 37s on mid travel (stock front and rear bumpers even, with just a little trim on the front to clear the 37s). We're one of the ones @osidepunker mentioned he wheels with that's MT.

Here is a local AZ first gen tundra illustrating how to rock crawl in a low-slung, big tire rig. To be fair, his frame is shortened and he choaded the bed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnPO87FH9Mc/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=16e5ehj1o5iye

And here's us on a 2" front lift and 1" rear on 37s, doing what I consider pretty technical stuff. I'm not sure exactly what your terrain is like, but if it's similar to this, skip the bracket. You could do even more than us if you went 3.5" front and 2-3" rear and 37s.

Oh, and we're still open/open. No lockers yet.

https://youtu.be/y_IgGOXngZo

not even aired down here

https://youtu.be/ga7uss_2Rkc

shortened for the IG format

https://instagram.com/p/BmpUP6inCcF/

and we can still go pretty fast

https://youtu.be/2jL6UfNdF7Y

https://youtu.be/_iIDwC8c3Vk

12. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:16 AM
    papasmurf

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 Tundra
    The axles are not the expensive part, the coilovers are whats gonna get you...

13. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
    You're telling me! I always look at my pics/vids and they pale in comparison to how the trail actually was

Especially with your shorter wheelbase, get some quality MT coilovers and progressive leaf packs, high clearance bumpers, sliders, skids, and 37s. You will be amazed at the type of trails you can tackle

14. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:23 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    would you be doing your own fab work with this budget?
    coils will run up the that bill real fast. also T case/gears and lockers. I got quoted for my 1st gen tacoma was 10k and me sourcing my own axles.

15. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    osidepunker

osidepunker OsidePunker

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 4x4
    Full LT, full armor, fully self contained Speed Glamper
  16. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    Leaf springs look better everyday haha

OBXTundra and dcsleeper408 like this.
  17. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    that'll save you some coin especially if you run blocks. Custom packs front and rear will be pricey-ish depending where you go.

GodlessPro likes this.
  18. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    Yes all my own fab work, timing is bad because I recently (this semester) enrolled in college full time again to try and get into a better career.

End of last year I wanted to build a 1st gen sas tundra truggy and had most of it planned out and that budget was around 10k so yea I'm probably a little light on 5-6 probably 8 at cheapest

19. Sep 5, 2018 at 11:36 AM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    Nah no blocks in the front and vs coilovers I could have custom front and rear leafs vs just the coilovers for the front.

But even still sas is not in the plans currently though it would be awesome

dcsleeper408[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    n2deep

n2deep Pavement Princess

Member:
    To be honest - a proper MT build will do everything you have the balls and ability to do - even Rock crawling. It will do everything that a BDS drop bracket equipped truck can do and almost everything a LT truck can do - well you will still be able to do it but it would just be slower :) I really don't See a SAS on the Tundra making a huge difference in wheeling it. Length -break over point is a bigger problem. I got stuck once due to that as I was sitting on the frame and bracket lift would not have helped because the suspension droop was more than any extra height of a drop bracket. Only thing that would have helped would have been the angle at which I took the hill - Low COG comes into play at that point.

21. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:13 PM
    dcsleeper408

dcsleeper408 BASTRDS

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO
    Yeah SAS tundra isn't ideal, I'd rather invest that money into something else. 1st gen tacoma/4runner or solid MT setup for the tundra.

22. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    Dood, you got almost the whole speed glampers group here, take their advice. I have kings, simple MT setup and I can go fast off-road which is really fun(I bent one cheap ass pro comp wheel now I’m back to stocks). Wheel travel matters, not the height of the lift. As mentioned before you can stuff 37’s with no lift, but some trimming is required, then it’s up to you if you want to re-gear or not. Some have, some didn’t even with 37’s. Be real about your needs and most importantly your budget, your credit card balance is not money you have....that’s borrowed :spending:

23. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    lol wasn't out here to stir up the "glampers" I hear ya on fast offroading I just don't have many places to go fast. least invasive first probably start with a mt on 35s or so see how it goes.

KevinK and papasmurf like this.
  24. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:44 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Your RCSB with MT and 35's and maybe a rear locker will be a pretty capable crawler.

25. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:50 PM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    not sure what will be first MT or a rear locker. locker will be cheaper.

Sunnier and joonbug[QUOTED] like this.
  26. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM
    trayday

trayday New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited CM 5.7
    7" BDS, ADS front and rear, Total Chaos UCA's, CB tie rods
    Bracket lifts can be beneficial, depending on what the person is trying to do. Some of the washed out roads and tank traps where I like to take my truck hunting would need a lifted vehicle to get to, if not the front end of the truck would be driven into the ground and good luck backing out after the front end is in, especially with open diffs.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  27. Sep 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM
    n2deep

n2deep Pavement Princess

Member:
    Been wheeling the Tundra for 8yrs without a locker and have only had to take the strap once when I high centered. Your brain is the best tool off-road and lose the ego before you go. That will keep ya out of a lot of issues. My vote is lift/tires before locker

28. Sep 5, 2018 at 1:07 PM
    zackbremer

zackbremer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Da Z
    what oside wont tell is all those videos of him going fast are because he's rushing to go post on forums about bracket lifts..the laptop is outside the frame of the camera:rofl::rofl:

29. Sep 5, 2018 at 1:08 PM
    Spolar

Spolar Going broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Seal Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5
    Interesting thread. I say do an 8” bracket lift on 47” tires or something and show all the morons in here chiming in what’s up

KevinK, joonbug, papasmurf and 2 others like this.
  30. Sep 5, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    Basemodel07

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    2007 rcsb base
    finally some encouragement! thanks lol

Products Discussed in

To Top