1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you like where you live?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Muleycrazy13, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Nov 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM
    Fish River Tundra

Fish River Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Platinum
    My sister and husband lived in cave springs for a few years. Very pretty up there when we stopped by to visit.

NewImprovedRon and jewsNbrews like this.
  2. Nov 3, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    I recently relocated from the pride of east san diego county Lakesyyyyyde!!!!! To a little slice of God's country in Fayetteville Georgia
    Let's see where do I start...God,guns,bbq,TRUCK GANG, and its in the South... NO 'rhymes with task' required..MURICA!!:oldglory::oldglory:

WILLINH, Bikeric, ATV25 and 2 others like this.
  3. Nov 16, 2021 at 10:43 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    Grew up 2 hours south of KC, and moved to Houston TX area for work. lol

I think the Bentonville to Fayetteville AR area is nice, and always thought Springfield MO could be cool with easy access to the Ozarks. We lived just east of Indianapolis for a while, and aside from winter we liked Indiana - probably because it wasn't much different than rural KS where we grew up. Well, most areas not in the NW corner anyway. If you want to go further east, my wife worked in Columbus OH for a while and it seemed like a nice enough area.

4. Nov 16, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    Bprose

Bprose Old member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra CM TRD
    It’s pretty in N VA, crowded, used to like trees, well still like trees, hate leaves. I’ll go back west to AZ, NV, UT, or So Cal as soon as I can. Sunsets over mountains are weird, desert sunrises are the best.

5. Nov 16, 2021 at 11:17 AM
    Bikeric

Bikeric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC 5.7
    Blown Engine.....
    My apologies in advance, but Omaha, NE?? Why?? I drove through there on my way back from South Dakota. Nebraska must use heavy salt in the winter because I got passed on the highway by a guy and I could literally see his legs and body through the holes in the door. Nebraska is on my list of States "Not To Buy Cars From" along with Michigan, Ohio and the Dakotas.
    I've never been to Huntsville, AL.
    You can't go wrong with Fayetteville and Bentonville area of AR.

Jernik and jewsNbrews like this.
  6. Nov 16, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    Depends on how you define 'like.' Granted, it's not quite as purty in the Ozarks as it might be in, say, Bellingham or what have you...

...but I paid for my house in 2008 about what one would pay for a 2022 Tundra CM 4x4 Limited, and it wasn't trash. My monthly mortgage is not much more than a monthly payment for a truck - and that's considering I'm paying off a 15-year loan.

So yes, I like it here. :D

7. Nov 16, 2021 at 2:28 PM
    Roborob70

Roborob70 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    18 Toyota Tundra TRD
    Yeah, hear you about the taxes last year 1600 and change this year 3100 and change I'm like WTF, my house went up in value, but not double.... it's only going down the shitter from here!!!

jewsNbrews and Oey12[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Nov 16, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    LuvCRVs

LuvCRVs New Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    Hard Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, OEM Bed Mat, OEM All Weather Floor Mats
    I like our area (San Antonio) for the most part. Much better than where we use to live in the Quad Cities. We have learned to deal with the traffic and never ending construction. My primary hobby is Golf and I also like fishing. We can golf year round here, and while the fishing is tough, the local creeks can give up a 10+ lb largemouth on occasion. And North Padre is less than three hours away to try our luck fishing in the surf or channels. The area provided tremendous opportunity for our kids as they made their way through the teenage years. My wife, and RN, can pretty much find any shift/unit she wants given the number of hospitals in this area. Prices are reasonable....so far. But no place is perfect. It can get beyond hot at times, and one always has to be on guard for things that want to bite you. I realized many decades ago a person really needs a summer and winter home to live without compromise.

jewsNbrews, NWPirate and Jernik like this.
  9. Nov 16, 2021 at 5:04 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Agreed. But where to go is the question.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Nov 16, 2021 at 5:47 PM
    Gunship Guy

Gunship Guy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Besides 6 years in the military I’ve been in Omaha over 50 years. The winters are tough and like previous comments we too can’t wait to load up the streets with salt, sand, sodium chloride and brine at the first hint of snow. We even have a brine dispenser built into the intersection of 90th & West Dodge. Still clean air, decent jobs but housing is short and prices have jumped a ton in less than 2 years. Did I mention the winters? They are tougher to take when the Huskers (football) have been irrelevant for almost 20 years. Great zoo, College World Series and some good dining options. Not bbq but KC is about 3 hours down I-29.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2021
    IA_Tundra and Melikeymy beer like this.
  11. Nov 16, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Lots of options depending on what you like out of life.

For us:

-Quality of life and personal values.

-Retirement tax/state tax/property tax. Our next home will be paid in full upon completion and then put in my oldest daughters name by the time we are 60.

-Real Estate costs. As you well know, Colorado is fast tracking the middle class out. Right now, a combined household of 90.00 per hour is not living the dream.

-Weather. I don’t mind snow, but the wife hates it. This could be an issue on locations.

So far: UT/WY/TN/GA/Carolinas.

jewsNbrews and BTBAKER[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Nov 16, 2021 at 7:32 PM
    THinTX

THinTX New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM DC 4X4
    FLW as in Fort Leonard Wood?

13. Nov 16, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Check the property tax laws where you end up before putting the house completely in your daughter's name. My mom hasn't had to pay ANY property taxes in almost 20 years, since she turned 60. That's in Mississippi. You can add her, but don't make her the sole owner.

14. Nov 16, 2021 at 8:59 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I would put my daughter as the sole owner due to what I have seen happen to many others if someone should get sick and need long term care. The state takes everything.

Cock-A-Doddle-Do and jewsNbrews like this.
  15. Nov 17, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    Bakershack

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    You might want to ask about just adding her to the deed with Rights of Survivorship. The state won't touch it if there is even a single surviving owner. Of course it won't matter either way if you don't get the property tax benefit.

ColoradoTJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 17, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    Cock-A-Doddle-Do

Cock-A-Doddle-Do New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Cypress, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road CM -Super White
    ^^THIS^^

17. Nov 17, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    It's kinda low on the list but I have heard good schools, low cost of living, not far from family in KC.

IA_Tundra likes this.
  18. Nov 17, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    I've only lived in SATX for 2 summers but this most recent was so much more mild than the previous. It'd be great if it was like this last year.

19. Dec 2, 2021 at 2:39 PM
    Sirfive

Sirfive Master Procrastinator

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
  20. Dec 2, 2021 at 4:05 PM
    Bakershack

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    That's just wrong! Don't ruin THAT state!

21. Dec 2, 2021 at 4:07 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    Yeah I might be moving to Edmond next year, don't send em over there please .

jewsNbrews likes this.
  22. Dec 2, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    When I lived in Edmond, the population was just a hair under 6000. Our house was on a dirt street, as were most. The "super market" was around the corner. It was just another house, where they sold bread, dairy products and some canned goods and toiletries. And of course, candy and bubble gum. It was called "Floosie's." I loved going to the Saturday movies at the Bronco Theater, and had many fun days playing in my grandpa's feed store and grain elevator. Those days are long gone. But they live on in memories of my childhood.

Now it's a big city, almost 100k, with 2 large universities. OKC keeps trying to annex Edmond, but they continue to resist.

I've been in all 50 states, and lived in 12 of them. Every area of the country has it's own beauty, but where I live now is sheer heaven. The Texas Hill Country about a hundred miles west of Austin, 20 miles west of the nearest town of 10,000. If you can't guess, I'm gettin' pretty old, so peace and quiet is all I crave. I love my 20 acres in the middle of nowhere. I will live out what's left of my life right here.

23. Dec 2, 2021 at 4:55 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    Excellent map.

Dr Doobie and jewsNbrews like this.
  24. Dec 2, 2021 at 5:10 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    When people from east of Manitoba ask about the best parts of Alberta to move to, we tell them "anywhere in the red area on this map"

upload_2021-12-2_18-9-46.jpg

25. Dec 2, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    NCTundra18

NCTundra18 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Candler, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Limited Crewmax
    TRD dual exhaust, Rough Country lift kit and too much money spent.
    I've lived here in western NC all my life. Growing up and driving down dirt roads on the back of my dad's pickup and not worrying about anything. We have some very beautiful places here that people like to come and see. I'm ok with that, as long as they leave. So many people are moving here and destroying our beautiful mountains. So do I like living here. Yes and no. We just have way too many people here and Asheville is getting to be a joke.

Burdturger and jewsNbrews like this.
  26. Dec 2, 2021 at 5:32 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    I generally like where I currently live in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I am not native to the area and relocated for my current career.

People are friendly, traffic is non existent for the most part, drivers are pretty courteous for the most part. You can probably still leave your house and vehicles unlocked here accidentally and no one will bother your property.

Weather is hot and dry in the summer, and cold and dry in the winter. We don’t get a ton of snow in the town I live in but get outside the protective ring of low mountains around town, and it can turn into a literal white out blizzard. We get a lot of hail storms in late spring and late summer. I’m in the process of getting a contract wrapped up for the 2nd roof I’ve had to have replaced in 5 years. Not screwing around this time and putting on F-Wave roofing, but it’s gonna smart a bit shelling out over $11K out of pocket after insurance pays their part. Unless you plan to put on a no bullshit hail proof roof for $20K plus you can enjoy paying a deductible every 3-5 years and having your insurance premium get raised all the time.

No state income tax is nice, and property taxes are still somewhat reasonable despite that.

Lots of wildlife. In the past two weeks or so I’ve seen two species of deer, plenty of elk, antelope, eagles, bison, big horn sheep, and even caught a glimpse of a mountain lion two nights ago.

8A33AB52-4180-472B-BA0F-016D4F17B18B.jpg 6300E2F6-95BA-4677-8766-477F9141852A.jpg

27. Jan 28, 2022 at 8:27 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    What are your thoughts on Edmond? We are about 70% committed to moving there. Good schools, better housing availability and closer to family is the plus. But man no income taxes and no grocery taxes in TX. But it's becoming ridiculous to find a house. And I'm not spending 600k on a 3bed ranch house.

28. Jan 28, 2022 at 3:02 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    I only have a couple relatives left living there. Like I said, I was a small farming community when I lived there back in the early '50s. Changed a lot now, but I haven't been back very often. Big city, two large universities. It's not a bad town, I don't think. Has a lot to offer. But just like OKC, its very spread out. One thing my dad hated about it though, when he moved back there for a while after retiring from IBM in the '80s ..... he absolutely HATED the tax structure. OK has a personal property tax on top of everything else. At least they did at the time. Mom and Dad moved back down here to the Hill Country after a few years.

I do think housing is a little bit cheaper.

YardBird likes this.
  29. Jan 28, 2022 at 6:12 PM
    Bappa

Bappa Off the grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Bo
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMax
    Coil overs (3”) and 295 tires, ESP storage, grab bar; RCI skids; tinted windows; rear air bags
    30 yrs in Ohio. Not bad but too much rain and too much humidity. 20 yrs in CA. Beautiful State but politics ruined it, so we left 20 yrs ago. Last 20 years in AZ - love it. It’s sliding downhill because of all the CA jerks moving here, but we have 80 acres up in the mountains - off grid. Absolutely love it up here.

Terndrerrr likes this.
  30. Jan 28, 2022 at 6:31 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    Shit sounds like California might become cheap in a few years

Terndrerrr likes this.