1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you like where you live?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Muleycrazy13, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:10 AM
    greatlakes

greatlakes New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    West Michigan
    I like it. It's not too big nor too small, people are generally friendly, and the cost of living is not horrendous like some cities.
    It's about 30 minutes to Lake Michigan and half-way between Detroit and Chicago if you want to spend a weekend in the "big city".

The roads suck, though...

2. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I must say the kindness and consideration of the folks in your area rival those on the island of Moloka'i.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    To answer the original question in a different way, I can think of a lot of places in Canada, the US and the rest of the world I'd like to visit but nowhere that I would realistically want to live (at least with my current life situation).

SprinterAE86 and Dr Doobie like this.
  4. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Oklahoma here, it's alright. Everywhere has problems. Nice to be centrally located. Can drive to almost everywhere fairly quickly. Love me some Arizona, Mississippi, Maine, Georgia, South Dakota, and Wyoming.

szabo101 and Dr Doobie like this.
  5. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    motoryder

motoryder ^^ I probably crashed after that pic

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Vehicle:
    2500HD AT4
    "Do you like where you live?"

I'm in CA. So......no.

6. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:29 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    What part? We're both remote and if I get granted permission to relocate outside of TX we were thinking of moving to Edmond. My wife was born in OK and most of her family live in OK.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  7. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:34 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    North Moore/South OKC. Right on the line. Come on with it! Not too bad here.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  8. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    While I love the Alabama Gulf Coast, I could do without the extreme humidity that makes hot temps feel hotter and cold temps feel colder. Seriously, I was at the National Training Center for Army exercises (right next to Death Valley) many years ago and was quite comfortable working outside in 110 deg temps - I just had to drink lots of water. And when I go skiing in Colorado or Utah, I'm fine skiing with a t-shirt and a light jacket in 30+ degree weather. But let it get above 85 or below 55 here on the coast and I have to significantly adjust my wardrobe for comfort.

I also like the ecological diversity here - the local Five Rivers Delta is the most ecologically diverse area in the country, with more different species represented than anywhere else on the continent.

And don't read too much into those reports that Alabama is one of the lowest educated places in the country. I know quite a few people with minimal educations that are EXTREMELY successful. Succeeding in a somewhat free, capitalist society does not require higher education if you're willing to work hard and learn from others' mistakes. I have four college degrees and a professional license, but a couple of good friends barely have a high school diploma but have literally 10-20 times my income. They are just good people, with a passion for what they do, that others are willing to pay for.

9. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:53 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    So true.

10. Oct 18, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    I can not handle humidity anymore. Just suffocating.

glowblue and jewsNbrews like this.
  11. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:00 AM
    Alphagunner

Alphagunner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 crewmax. White
    Leather seats. 3/1 ready lift. 17in vision wheels wrapped in 285/75/17 Yokohama mt
    Oklahoma here. Only other state I would consider is Arkansas

12. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    Hell no! I live in southern california and we are in the early stages of moving out of state. The traffic, the heat, the prices, the lack of freedoms, homeless, crime, its all bad. Lived here my whole life and every morning on the freeway i dream of leaving. The wife and I have decided on northern Wyoming and will be pulling the trigger in about a year and a half at most. Just need to get some finances and such together and we are out of here.

13. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    NyCSnEaK

NyCSnEaK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yaq
    Vehicle:
    Tundra AG CM TRD
    I’m from NW NJ and love it here. I have all you can ask for near me. Mountains, lakes, farms, big cities, and tons of beaches. Only thing that keeps me from calling it perfect, are the high taxes.

0D8FF443-2DA2-4C51-A2CA-7DD286806717.jpg C9D46218-33F2-4C0A-808F-55AB11C40401.jpg

D0DA79A6-154A-4257-87F5-E353EEE011EB.jpg

14. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:31 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    Montana is about the best Tax Haven evidently in the USA and you can set up an LLC to take part in it easily online in a 1/2 hour from what I am told too.
    I have worked on 10 million dollar Log Cabins in Big Sky where the local tradespeople live in the woods around the town wherever they can camp. They grew up on the slopes that are now owned by rich out of towners who are there a few weeks a year and they can not afford to live anywhere where there are new crowds anymore?
    Beautiful on one hand and sucks at the same time!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  15. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:37 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    What trail is that in the middle photo?

jewsNbrews likes this.
  16. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    I'm from Oregon and I love the state itself. Other than that, I am bound by the rules and regulations of Tundras.com and am not able to share any other feelings.

17. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    as a close neighbor state of yours, i hear you loud and clear brother and agree!

18. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    Man I feel you there... In multiple points... L.A. born and raised I can say I've lived in both Nor Cal Bay area and So Cal A.V., L.A., San Diego and I.V. as a civilian and military and it has been on a downward spiral on both spectrums.... I mean skid row has spread out to the entire city.... and the state.... high registration fees and taxes, yet roads only get paved just prior to certain locality events, and its not entertainment.... I've been plotting my escape out again, I was able to leave for a short time and experience AZ, OK and Northern NV.. If I had my pick I'd return and stay in Northern NV, although it was turning when I moved so I would have to research.

Jackstraw and jewsNbrews like this.
  19. Oct 18, 2021 at 8:58 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Our fellow californians have not left much in the country that is unspoiled. I was thinking Colorado (now ruined), AZ (now ruined), Washington (ruined first), Montana (very close to ruined), Idaho (on the way to ruined). That left me with Alaska, which was my first choice but my wife wasnt having it, and Wyoming, which is what we decided on and I have to say it is pretty much everything i could have asked for.

20. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:04 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    Unfortunately I do fully agree... I went to school in L.A. and recently college in the Bay are and can see how the school system is eroding everything around through entitlement among other things...

21. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:08 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    In a sick way, i am looking forward to watching the world burn from my secluded castle in Wyoming.

22. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    CTundraForMe

CTundraForMe New Member

Member:
    I'm originally from PA. I'm so glad I'm out of there.

In southern AZ now in the mountain plains, for about 6 years now. Loving the climate. Phoenix and Tuscon have issues. What big cities don't? Haven't figured out why big cities go insane.

Haven't given up on AZ. There's still hope.

If things go bad, will probably flee to a northern state like Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana.

jewsNbrews, NWPirate and 2mchfun like this.
  23. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:29 AM
    TexAirUh

TexAirUh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tundra Limited TRD O/R
    Yes and the older I get, the more I appreciate it. I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania but have had the luxury of essentially living up and down the eastern border of PA the last 10 years. After college, I moved down to the Philadelphia area - got to live the city life for 6 years and then bounced. I lived and worked on the "Main Line" which is an area of legacy wealth and I just lost my appetite to "keep up with the Jones’s". I then moved back to central eastern part of the state that was essentially between Philadelphia and rural norther areas. I Started a family + an influx of New Yorkers (I was born in NY, btw) essentially helped us make the choice to move even more north to a much more suburban life. I really appreciate the variety of people and experiences I've had. I am still only 2hrs from NY, an hour and change from Philly, 2hrs from a beach, and have mountains in my backyard. There are political extremist of all varieties throughout the state but I feel confident that I am in the right place for my family. Also appreciate getting to experience all 4 seasons although I feel like Spring and Fall are getting shorter.

jewsNbrews, NWPirate and NyCSnEaK like this.
  24. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:35 AM
    NyCSnEaK

NyCSnEaK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yaq
    Vehicle:
    Tundra AG CM TRD
    Hey bud. That is from Mahlon Dickerson Reservation. It’s the yellow/teal trail. Pretty decent trail being so close to my home.

jewsNbrews and Oey12[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    Looks like excellent single track! I have heard of it but never rode it thanks.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  26. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    Fiesta346

Fiesta346 New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rock Warrior
    Southwestern PA is where I call home. I am within 20 min from the ski hill, world class whitewater rivers, and mountain biking.

Trout fishing, Hunting, Camping, Great Allegheny Passage 5 min bike ride from the driveway.

People travel from all over to enjoy the outdoor activities in my backyard. Obviously there's better places to do all these activities if i could choose Id live in AK or B.C.

G0412417.jpg IMG_4731.jpg Kayaker.jpg

27. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:56 AM
    gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Wyoming

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd silver tundra
    6" lift, bumper and winch.
    I love where I live. Been here almost 30 years. I came to fish, ski and camp. Lots of challenges living here but no better place to raise kids IMO1F376173-F87D-44FC-8965-492DDFAFCD2E.jpg

28. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:57 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Reminds me of SF… There are entire herds of fully employed people living out of small trailers and campers in the bay area. They squat in a warehouse parking lot until the city tells them to move so they can come in and clean it up. Again, fully employed people! They just can’t afford $3k/month for a 300sq ft apartment.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  29. Oct 18, 2021 at 9:58 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    I grew up in southwestern British Columbia, near Vancouver. Everyone always says how great that area is to live. I hated it with every fiber of my being. Hated the people, hated the traffic, hated the cost of living, hated the weather, hated the politics, hated the lack of good paying work. As soon as I was able to, I packed up my 1994 Toyota pickup and headed north.

Now I live in Grande Prairie, Alberta. It's a city of around 70,000 people. Big enough to have everything you need, small enough you can get across town in under 15 minutes. The parks and path systems are abundant and well maintained. The city itself is generally clean, safe and friendly. Work is abundant, real estate is reasonable and other than property taxes the rest of the cost of living is good. We get 4 very distinct seasons and over 300 days per year of sunshine. We're pretty far north, so winters can be harsh. You learn to dress for them and learn to have fun in the cold. Ice fishing, snowmobiling, snow shoeing etc. The upside is that summers are incredible. Fall is absolutely glorious. Spring is dirty, but full of blossoming life. I have wide open prairie to the east, rugged mountains to the south, foothills to the west. It's common to see moose, deer, bear, elk, coyote and other critters on my commute. If I had to complain about one thing it's that the fishing is mediocre, at least by British Columbia standards. Small price to pay I suppose.

Would I rather live in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah or another State where my beliefs and values are actually respected? Hell yes. But since I'm stuck in Canuckistan for now, this isn't a bad part to be in. Lots of Canuckistanis love to hate on Grande Prairie. I like that. It keeps them out of my town. The fewer big city people we have moving here, the better.

30. Oct 18, 2021 at 10:03 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I think I was told a while back that most US corporations are officially headquartered in Delaware because of the tax laws but maybe that's changed.

Products Discussed in

To Top