1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do You Feel Your S-Mode Shifts Backwards? Fix Inside!

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Wynnded, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Aug 27, 2019 at 6:59 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    :rofl:

TruckyTruck[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 27, 2019 at 7:04 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
  3. Aug 27, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    ....and we're pushing the passenger vehicle throttle away from our body to go faster. Operational standardization of machine controls? There just isn't an agreed upon one for this particular function (S-Mode motion). :notsure:

TruckyTruck likes this.
  4. Aug 27, 2019 at 7:22 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    :burnrubber::goingcrazy:

Wynnded[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 28, 2019 at 10:02 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways

I had this from someone who had posted it a while back. This shows the ECU and the green and tan wires for shift up/down. Just thought I'd repost this here in case someone wanted to attempt this at the shifter.

Screenshot_20190414-225449~2.jpg

6. Aug 28, 2019 at 10:14 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    That's where I was doing my looking. The AJ2 connector is the one that's behind the kick panel and that I show is disconnected in my first photo. As mentioned, I tried this at the shifter (one the transmission tunnel actually, that's where the connector is located) and was put off by the lack of room to work. There's the additional plastic that has to be disassembled as well, but if you happen to be in the area, give it a go. I didn't see any information in my set of diagrams that give the location and connector reference number, but it's on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel.

Thanks for adding that diagram!

7. Aug 28, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    How dare Toyota make the shift pattern the same as every other automatic transmission on the planet. You know, you shift from neutral into drive. If you want a lower gear you shift further away from neutral. (PRND21). Seriously, if if bothers you then change it. But I would make sure to change it back when you sell it. If you have more than one vehicle either change them all or none.

One of the things that bugs me is my wife's '13 Rav4 has the delayed wiper knob opposite as my 07 Tundra. If looking at the end of the lever on hers as you turn the knob clockwise the delay get shorter. On my Tundra it increases the delay. My mind likes thing standard. No, I will not be doing this mod.

landphil, CMB and TruckyTruck like this.
  8. Aug 28, 2019 at 10:40 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    No prob!

9. Aug 28, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    b1458a20591ab1724fff2e2a067c0d0e.gif

GAknight, landphil and Wynnded[OP] like this.
  10. Aug 28, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    Mmm, ham! :drool:

11. Aug 28, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Sure, as I mentioned, standardization. I might speculate that the Rav4 is available in other markets on other continents and the wiper knobs were engineered with that market in mind and Toyota wasn't interested in changing that for the North American market, but the Tundra is for the NA market. With that said, that idea wouldn't hold water for the Land Cruiser.

Well, it bothered me, so I changed it and offered that freedom to do so to others who felt the same. Think of it like pizza. I personally might apply your logic to a veggie pizza that comes with green peppers, how dare they make a veggie pizza with vegetables, like soooo many others. I may not like green peppers, but that's the way it came and that's okay, I'll eat it that way rather than modify that pizza to my preference, which I would be free to do, by picking out the green peppers. No, I will not be picking the green bell pepper from my pizza, I'm going to keep it standard.

Bo-Hunter and TruckyTruck like this.
  12. Aug 28, 2019 at 7:48 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Would that apply to green eggs and ham vs regular old eggs and pink ham?

landphil likes this.
  13. Aug 28, 2019 at 7:51 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I'm eating every last morsel of that, no matter the color!:cookiemonster:

landphil and TruckyTruck[QUOTED] like this.
  14. Aug 28, 2019 at 9:10 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    I love this, and I'm def goin to check this out on my 3rd gen.
    Thanks @Wynnded for posting!!!

I grew up in straight shifts where you used both up and down directions to go up in gears and back down in gears.
    I think the inclination that the factory set up is "backwards" is that the main development in sequential gears came from racing where going up in the gears is done by pulling back on the lever. Down shifting is by pushing forward in the lever.
    Perhaps more so than that, I rationalize it by thinking about the initial/basic sequence of the old straight shifts I mentioned....
    When starting in 1st, what was the first move to the next (higher) gear???
    Pulling down into 2nd.
    Vice versa, when going back to 1st???
    Pushed up....back into the lower gear.
    Although I've got use to driving by Toyotas design for the most part, I sometimes catch myself trying to shift the 'right way'.
    Hopefully this will work and free my mind's inner race car driver.
    :burnrubber:

Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  15. Aug 29, 2019 at 2:24 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    Darn, even my boat throttle is wrong. To go faster you push it away from you, to slow down, you pull it back...what were they thinking!:rolleyes::D

louscrw and Wynnded[OP] like this.
  16. Aug 29, 2019 at 6:33 AM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    In boats, planes; the throttle is correct.
    The truck's throttle is also correct....you push it forward to give it gas.

It's the gear shift that's wrong...
    :D

Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  17. Aug 29, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    YOUR gear shift is wrong, mine's right:devil:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  18. Sep 5, 2019 at 6:13 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    This is great! But pretty sure I don't have the patience to jiggle those little pins. :sawzall:

Has anyone tried to swap the little +/- on the shifter? That would make this go from great to ultimate

Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  19. Sep 5, 2019 at 6:21 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I'd have to rationalize to myself an additional reason to have that part of the truck apart before having a go at the indicators. See shift boot mod.

20. Sep 13, 2019 at 8:44 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    Just went to do this and my 2015 kick panel wires look nothing like the pics. Where could I find the wire colors for 2015?

21. Sep 14, 2019 at 5:11 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    So I made an error in referencing what years my wiring diagrams cover, I will go back and correct this. Meanwhile, for you, I went in to the 2015 diagram that I have and discovered that there are some differences. To get you going though I will say that you're looking for the same Green and Beige wires and to switch their positions in the connector. Rather than the numbers locations specified originally, the Green and Beige wires should be located in slots 17 and 18. Again, they will be the same colors and they will be adjacent to one another. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and please let me know what you find!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    roy2015[QUOTED] and TruckyTruck like this.
  22. Sep 14, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    Thanks for the help @Wynnded ! I’ll report back. If I can get this done and hopefully Mat sends my tune today... I’ll be set!

Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  23. Sep 14, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Can I ask where you collected this from? My reason is that it is showing connector, AJ2 that in all of my diagrams are indicated as being AJ4. My diagrams also show that AJ4 is white as shown in the pictures. When I reference my diagrams, they're saying that the connector AJ2 is in the same region of the the truck, but is colored grey and when I look at the photo I posted in the OP, I don't see any grey connectors. My quote of myself is inaccurate in reference to the AJ2 connector.

Thanks!

Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Sep 14, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    I've added a little update to the OP. It was brought to my attention by @roy2015 that his 2015 was different. The beige and green wires are on in locations 6 and 7 on his truck. My wiring diagram for 2015 shows that they're the same colors, but in slots 17 and 18. Toyota.....:smack:

Thanks!

TruckyTruck likes this.
  25. Sep 14, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    It came from here:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/reversing-s-mode-shift-pattern.40862/

Funny, you're on there too...

Wynnded[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  26. Sep 15, 2019 at 6:36 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Toyotoholic[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Sep 15, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    CBA283C5-7B90-41A8-968E-2DB39AE3D54A.jpg E62B1AD7-5A05-4D78-B9F5-6BD46D460556.jpg 85D100BB-580A-4601-867E-0D8BF47F433B.jpg
    Done! Thanks for your help @Wynnded ! Instead of pulling the wires and re-pinning, I cut and crimped quick connectors. It’ll be easy to swap back if there’s ever a need. Headed to take the kids to Candytopia then gonna see what I can do about deleting the +/-

Attached Files:

Wynnded[OP] likes this.
  28. Sep 15, 2019 at 3:41 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Awesome! You're welcome!

roy2015 likes this.
  29. Sep 16, 2019 at 4:49 PM
    roy2015

roy2015 Waterproof

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    Super White = Super Fast
    Now my OCD brain can rest!249C9BA0-0AC3-4CEE-9DE3-8953A9D0E46D.jpg

GAknight and Wynnded[OP] like this.
  30. Sep 16, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded [OP] What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Mine is different, I don't even know what yours looked like before. Where you able to just use a Sharpie?;)

Products Discussed in

To Top