1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reversing S-Mode Shift Pattern

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by iliketurtles, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Feb 24, 2019 at 8:34 PM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Tundra
    Hi! I’m new to the forum but done a fair bit of reading here over the last few years. I’ve been digging to see if this question has been answered before but didn’t have any luck.

I had a ‘17 and just jumped to a ‘19 a couple of months ago. Both had the center console option.

So here is my question, is there anyway to reverse the shift pattern in S-Mode? Basically, upshift by pulling back, downshift by pressing forward. My brain refuses to accept pushing forward while I am accelerating or pulling back under braking. I know this is how most street cars are set up but it still makes no sense to me.

It seems like it could be as simple as switching a couple of wires in the shifter assembly. Has anyone here made the switch?

ATHiker and theraven like this.
  2. Feb 24, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    Good luck with that! :D

Rex Kramer likes this.
  3. Feb 24, 2019 at 9:15 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Funny, I was curious about this myself. I had a "slap shifter" in a race truck and it was intuitive to pull back to upshift... Paddle shifters are also a pull to upshift. I have to talk to myself while driving this truck to make sure I "push forward" and not downshift @5800 rpms!!!
    To me, our trucks are backwards, would be cool to be able to switch that.

4. Feb 24, 2019 at 10:00 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    possibly by un pinning and repinning the two wires for the control.. not 100% sure. but heres the section of the wiring diagram (i believe)
    [​IMG]

the *s are
    2 floor shift
    3 column shift

Toyotoholic and 15whtrd like this.
  5. Feb 25, 2019 at 12:07 PM
    iliketurtles

iliketurtles [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Tundra
    Thanks for that! It is definitely above my pay grade to start digging around in there and experimenting. I’d just love to have the option to select gears without shifting backwards!

Toyotoholic likes this.
  6. Feb 25, 2019 at 12:43 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I tried to do this one evening on my 2011 by switching a couple connectors. I was tired, didn't have enough light and was cutting up my hand getting it into the small space. I gave up and haven't tried since. Maybe I'd have another go at it when I have everything apart for the audio upgrade.

7. Feb 25, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    I may mess with it in my Avalon one day. It’s the same kinda setup, if I do I’ll post results

Toyotoholic likes this.
  8. Sep 15, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Can I integrate this into the thread I made where I have information on how to do this on prior year models?

Products Discussed in

To Top