1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY oil change 5.7

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Pudge, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Oct 24, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    Jpneely

Jpneely New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 5.7
    funny, I just took over doing the oil changes on my wifes T4R and ran into the same problems. the dealershit apparently uses an impact driver to reinstall the filter housing and the drain pan bolt. I had to use the ol breaker bar on both of them. this was after finding out that all the bolts holding the skid plate on were crossthreaded in. finally got everything changed, but was NOT a happy camper. I don't know how these people continue to do this kind of work without killing their business. I guess selling the cars keeps the maintenance side afloat?

138thBatista, TILLY and 915tundra like this.
  2. Oct 24, 2019 at 9:24 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    I feel your pain, and have witnessed the absolute disregard for customers cars when i worked as a tech for Mazda. Dealerships don't care about your vehicle or happiness, all they care about is profit. If you're unhappy with the work and bring it back, they will still find a way to pay themselves under warranty, even if it was their fault. I have 2 free oil changes on my new truck, but can't trust them as far as i can throw them, I'll do it myself.

Inquiringone and BTBAKER like this.
  3. Oct 25, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    138thBatista

138thBatista New Member

Member:
    Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    That's crazy, I've never even heard of that before coming here, I used to work at the Toyota dealership here in Tulsa and we always just hand tightened the filter housing with a socket wrench and used a tq. wrench on the drain plug. I can't imagine seeing someone with a impact hammering someone's oil filter back in, even a 1/4 drive.

4. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    Jpneely

Jpneely New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 5.7
    since I didn't actually see it happen, who knows if it was an impact or not. (I hope not) but holy crap they had those babies on there tight. I was almost sliding across the ground trying to break them loose.

im not the only person I know whos had problems with this dealership though. theres a few of us.

Inquiringone likes this.
  5. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:25 PM
    138thBatista

138thBatista New Member

Member:
    Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I think the shop manager would stroke out if he found out the lube techs were using impacts on either of those, still pretty crazy. I switched dealerships this past week, techs at the previous didn't give me back my old tire that I needed back for a warranty and they left my TPMS sensor on the tire machine.

6. Oct 25, 2019 at 8:26 PM
    Jpneely

Jpneely New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 5.7
    :pout: I wish we had enough dealerships close to us to switch up...

7. Oct 26, 2019 at 4:49 PM
    SMK Shoe

SMK Shoe Not New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Central North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD DC
    Step Bars, Rear Swaybar, 2,000 Watt Amp, 2-10" Subs, new door speakers, De-Badged, Hondo vent mounts, Calipers, 6112/5100 shocks, SPC UCA's, Front bumper, Bed Bars, bed rack, Fuel Rims
    I had delivered a couple weeks ago the quickjack rated at 7,000 lbs. I got it to do routine maintenance on a older Porsche, but went with the 7,000 lb model so I can use them on the tundra. GET A SET. if you have to spend the family X-mas money. They are outstanding. Stable, quick to set up, and rock solid when lifted. Wish I would have gotten them sooner when I was doing all my mods to the truck.

138thBatista[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 26, 2019 at 9:06 PM
    138thBatista

138thBatista New Member

Member:
    Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Planning on it! Especially since I'm working on getting a lift soon. The days of one wheel at a time are soon over!

Products Discussed in

To Top