1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did the dealer lie to me about changing my brake rotors?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Agitated1, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Nov 29, 2016 at 9:04 AM
    Agitated1

Agitated1 [OP] Newish Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4 Quicksand
    TRD Pro Grill King Coilovers with compression adjuster Tint 5% Rear, 30% front and 70% windshield Husky X-Act Floor liners BA Muffler 8in standard system Truck Covers USA retractable bed cover Yakima bed rails
    Update:

I ended up writing a long letter (with pictures) to the Used car Director, Service Manager and the President of the dealership last night. I got a response from the Service manager early this morning apologizing about the same issue with my brakes. He confirmed by looking at the pictures I sent him the rotors are not new. After some investigation he said brakes and rotors were not changed and he is embarrassed by this incident. He said this should have been taken care of and he'll make this right if I still want to do business with his dealership. He asked me if I was "done with the truck?" He said hes not in used car but maybe they can get you into something else and I should talk to the used car director about this.

Do you guys think they can get me into another truck? Maybe a new one? lol

thumper7799 and FlashCulprit like this.
  2. Nov 29, 2016 at 9:19 AM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Hybrid TRD Pro
    With the right side step, that should help you into any new truck. :hattip:

I crack myself up.

Glad they quickly admitted fault, vs trying to pass along the blame. I'm sure both parities will come to a mutual agreement. :cheers:

thumper7799 and Agitated1[OP] like this.
  3. Nov 29, 2016 at 11:32 AM
    Crewmax Chris

Crewmax Chris Paper Airplane Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 DoubleCab
    I'm addicted to that new car smell...

thumper7799 and Agitated1[OP] like this.
  4. Nov 29, 2016 at 2:29 PM
    Agitated1

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro Grill King Coilovers with compression adjuster Tint 5% Rear, 30% front and 70% windshield Husky X-Act Floor liners BA Muffler 8in standard system Truck Covers USA retractable bed cover Yakima bed rails
    Update:

Ive been speaking to the Service manager and he has offered to pick up my truck from my work and give me a rental car while my rotors and pads are being changed. I agreed to that at this point. I put out a call to Toyota Corporate and let them know the situation and they said guest relations from the dealership will get back to me within 48hrs. They asked me what I wanted and I told them I wanted them to take the truck back and ill buy a brand new one.
    I also spoke to the Used car Director and I tried to get him to take the truck back so I can get a brand new one. He wouldn't budge. lol. He did offer to give me a TRD exhaust for free and free installation to make up for their mistake. I did tell him I made a call to Toyota Corporate and I want to see what they say.

5. Nov 29, 2016 at 5:00 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Sounds like the dealer is trying to make it right. Toyota put me in two used trucks (non-Toyota) before. Both trucks had issues. They squashed both deals like it never happened and made it right...back then I had a 2009 Tacoma...I've been hooked every since.

ColoradoTJ and Agitated1[OP] like this.
  6. Nov 29, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    thumper7799

thumper7799 Bad Girls Drive Bad Toys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erika
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Nautical blue Tundra SR5 duel exhaust
    @Agitated1, I throat punched them for ya...I knew it would work! Hopefully, you get a new truck; thanks for the updates.

7. Nov 29, 2016 at 6:02 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    I'd let them have a second go with new brakes, and if you want the TRD exhaust, sounds like a good deal. Spending MORE money there at this time seems counterintuitive to me, unless other issues turn up in the near future. Tell them you want a month to love it or leave it.

8. Nov 29, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    FlashCulprit

FlashCulprit ColoradoTJ's whipping boy/Gino's illegitimate son.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White SR5 TRD 5.7 4x4
    :drool:

thumper7799[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 29, 2016 at 6:09 PM
    FlashCulprit

FlashCulprit ColoradoTJ's whipping boy/Gino's illegitimate son.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White SR5 TRD 5.7 4x4
    I'm with Phil on this. Get everything you can in writing too. :evil:

thumper7799 likes this.
  10. Nov 29, 2016 at 6:13 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    And demand for another dealership to run an inspection. Obviously, if they didn't even check the brakes or the 4wd, they probably didn't do a very thorough inspection. Especially it being a certified used truck. And then if everything else checks out fine, then accept the TRD exhaust and make them throw in aftermarket leather. Make sure they know that they've lost your trust and they need to regain it.

thumper7799 and FlashCulprit like this.
  11. Nov 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Supercharger. Go big or go home lulz

12. Nov 30, 2016 at 5:49 AM
    cdkenne

cdkenne Toyota Master Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    KS
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 TRD Offroad
    285/70R17, '15 4Run Trail Wheels, Westin Shopping Cart Basher, SnapOn license plate cover that adds >50 HP
    The RO says they repaired the transfer case and the parts back that up. The Certified Inspection is thorough but sometimes things actually do break after the fact. Also, its impossible to drive a vehicle in every condition. Can't control the weather...20161130_074745.jpg

ColoradoTJ and Crewmax Chris like this.
  13. Dec 1, 2016 at 9:39 PM
    Agitated1

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Update:
    As of 11/30 my truck is now at the Dealer for service but in the one day I had my truck there were a few more problems that came up.
    1) battery died and the truck needed to be jump started.
    2) the heater is not blowing hot air
    3) the air volume on max ac/heater the air volume in minimal. Feels like the 1 or 2 setting on my Prius.
    4) when the air is off and the recirculating button is on it automatically turns off in a few minutes.
    5) the auxiliary power in the front and rear stay on even when the car is off with the doors locked and alarmed.
    I received a call from another service manager today and he wanted to give me an update. He said the new problems are being checked out. Regarding the rotors/pads he said the front has been replaced and the problem has been fixed. I then inform him the used car director assured me that all four rotors/pads would be changed. He said he would need to confirm this with the director but he was off today.

I don't know but they must think I'm an idiot or something. They keep trying to pull a fast one on me. I shouldn't be the middle man between service and used car. I shouldn't have to be the one telling Service what needs to be done when I had a conversation with the used car director about that. There is definitely lack of communication between service and used car.

At this point I hope they take the truck back because I'm tired of their BS.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  14. Dec 2, 2016 at 3:59 AM
    thumper7799

thumper7799 Bad Girls Drive Bad Toys!

Member:
    First Name:
    Erika
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Nautical blue Tundra SR5 duel exhaust
    @Agitated1, that is unbelievable! Sorry you are going through all of this.

Agitated1[OP] likes this.
  15. Dec 2, 2016 at 4:06 AM
    Zharris

Zharris Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White 4x4 Crewmax
    That's my biggest issue with dealerships. Had similar problems with a mustang I had. Bought it certified preowned, took it up there for the first oil change and they charged me for an air filter. I quickly pulled out that paper the service manager signed saying it had been changed before I bought it. Got that oil change for free. Haha then everything else that broke they blsmed on my aftermarket parts, which were sbout the only things on there right.

Anyway, I hope they take the truck back for you. I wouldn't buy anything else from them. Take your business elsewhere.

16. Dec 2, 2016 at 6:00 AM
    cdkenne

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    KS
    Vehicle:
    285/70R17, '15 4Run Trail Wheels, Westin Shopping Cart Basher, SnapOn license plate cover that adds >50 HP
    If you have auto HVAC this is normal in cold conditions. The truck will turn off recirc and redirect airflow to the defogger to keep the windows clear. It will do this with no user input.

Do you have any aftermarket wiring? Alarm? Remote start? etc...

17. Dec 2, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    Agitated1

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    I do not have auto HVAC but it was turning off every 2 minutes. I don't think that's normal
    Everything is stock as far as I know. no aftermarket wiring, alarm, or remote start. I did buy this used so I do not know for sure what was done to the truck by the previous owner.

18. Dec 2, 2016 at 6:26 AM
    cdkenne

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    KS
    Vehicle:
    Has the battery been replaced or allowed to charge since it died? Do you know what the charging system voltage is while running?

For peace of mind, I would suggest looking under that dash on the driver's side to see if there is any wiring that appears out of place. The aux outlets shouldn't be on with the vehicle off. Shorts or incorrect wiring with an aftermarket alarm/remote start can easily cause this as they tie into the accessory position of the ignition switch. (as well as the other positions)

These are the first things I would look at with list of concerns like this. I would confirm that battery voltage and charging voltage are correct, then check for aftermarket wiring. There's only so much I can do sitting behind a computer screen though.

Now, to finish this stereo update on this Highlander...

NewImprovedRon and ColoradoTJ like this.
  19. Dec 2, 2016 at 6:31 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Well this kinda sucks man. Dealing with other people's problems is never fun.

I purchase new in some cases and others the better bet is buying used.

The Lexus that was purchased for my commuter has had little issues so far:

- weird smell with AC on. Fixed it by pulling out the mouse nest and dead mice.

-windshield washer pump is weak. I have purchased a pump, just not installed it yet.

Gasoline powered vehicles I have no problem buying used. Diesel, new off the lot with under 25 miles is my limit.

20. Dec 2, 2016 at 7:37 AM
    Oper8r

Oper8r New Member

Member:
    Stuttgart
    Vehicle:
    Sold my 2016 TRD PRO - Currently in BMW 535d Wagon
    Any more input from Toyota Corporate?

If they come back with unsatisfactory answers to the other issues that have arisen, I'd be trying to find a way to annul this deal with this dealership, and find out if corporate will help get you a deal on a new one with a different dealer.

21. Dec 2, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    If they don't take it back, I'm sure you can live with it. And hopefully everything gets fixed and you won't have more problems in the future. But that's being pretty optimistic and you shouldn't have to take the risk. I would try everything possible to get your money back. Maybe start hinting legal action. Like I said before I don't think they did a legit inspection. On top of that they tried to scam you with the brakes, they've proven they cannot be trusted. And it looks like this may be one of those rare Tundra lemons. If this many problems arrised in 3 weeks, imagine how many more next few years. Good luck buddy, keep us posted.

22. Dec 2, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    Agitated1

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    You guys are gonna love this update:

When I got home last night I wrote another email to the President of the dealership, service manager, used car director, and guest relations director. I explained how unhappy I am and I feel that I was sold a lemon. I pointed out the fact that I have owned this truck for 26 days and it has been in their service department for 13 days with even more problems now.

This morning when I checked my email I got a response from the used car director stating, "I think this guy is just working us now. I had a long conversation with him before we picked up the truck . I already explained to him that he probably wouldn't hear from HR since we had agreed upon a solution which was giving him the free component and free labor for installing it." I told him I wanted to hear from guest relations before I agreed to anything.

I emailed him back stating, THIS GUY IS NOT WORKING YOU!!!! I had the truck for one day after it was with your service department for 11 days and these new problems came up. I also told him I think it is very unprofessional for him to email me back and call me "THIS GUY" and accusing me of trying to work them.

At this point I just want them to take the truck back.

23. Dec 2, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    cdkenne

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    KS
    Vehicle:
    I would forward that to Toyota.

24. Dec 2, 2016 at 11:23 AM
    Agitated1

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Update:
    I just received an email from the president of the dealership and he said he completely agrees with me and he apologizes for how the team has handled this so far. He also said if I want he can switch me into a new car.

thumper7799 and TheBeast like this.
  25. Dec 2, 2016 at 11:25 AM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Yeah, tell him if you had the money to buy a new car, you wouldn't have bought that lemon from him. So he better give you one hell of a deal!!

26. Dec 2, 2016 at 11:29 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    great ! at that point you are not happy with the truck they sold you. Get a different one. Is there a 30 days period when you can return it or something without penalties ? make sure they don't drag your issues past that date

27. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:35 PM
    Agitated1

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Update.
    I'm at the dealership right now and they're trying to get me into a 2017 Quicksand Tundra TRD 4x4. Theyre offering $500 under invoice.

NewImprovedRon and thumper7799 like this.
  28. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    not bad IMO. I love quicksand color.

29. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:37 PM
    cdkenne

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    KS
    Vehicle:
    There is a real love/hate going around with that color. Make sure you'll like it tomorrow before you sign. Otherwise, do it!

30. Dec 2, 2016 at 5:38 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC

Products Discussed in

To Top