1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Detailing Project: 1995 Chevy 1500 w/t

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Jul 29, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Thank you very much. Means alot coming from a guy with so much detailing experience and knowledge

2. Jul 29, 2019 at 9:52 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I have to say the pics don't do it justice. It looks much better in person, and looked much worse in person when it was dropped off. It was a great experience for me and I learned a lot.

3. Jul 29, 2019 at 10:14 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Optimum actually recommends using an HVLP gun....

https://youtu.be/LI9HLpeJZdg

4. Jul 29, 2019 at 10:44 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    I'd be proud to have made that truck look the way you did

5. Jul 29, 2019 at 10:46 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Same here.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 29, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks fellas

Omohundro likes this.
  7. Jul 31, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Well my bro and SIL came to pick up the truck today and they were overwhelmed with how good it looked. SIL was nearly in tears saying her grandpa would be proud and she hasn't seen it look this good since he was driving it 15 years ago. They plan to make room in the barn for it this weekend. I sent off a small bottle of ech2o mixed to a quick detailer ratio, a bottle of megs ceramic spray wax and a few MF towels for maintenance washes, but asked if anything major needs to be done to bring it by. I will see it again in Oct/Nov for fluid film application so I'll likely do a quick hydro2 treatment and optimum tire coating to add some protection thru winter. I'm really happy with how it came out and learned a lot in the process.

Watt maker likes this.
  8. Jul 31, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Oh and I added some LED headlights yesterday because the stockers were so bad, they are stamped DOT but idk, these are ridiculously bright and need to be adjusted down, but my brother can take care of that, it rarely gets driven but still needs to be safe and not blind oncoming traffic. I sent him a link on how to adjust them so he will do that one night soon.

20190730_170552.jpg
    20190730_170615.jpg
    20190730_211157.jpg
    20190730_211200.jpg

War Machine and Watt maker like this.
  9. Aug 12, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    My brother took the truck to a concert to do some tailgating. He said dozens of people came up and complemented him on the truck. And 2 guys asked if he would sell it. the police/event parking even gave him a nice spot near the gate and away from the riff raff for no charge. He gave my number to one of the officers who asked him who detailed the truck. So maybe I have a potential customer now lol.

10. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Steve. That was before I even tried the 105. I read a great article on detailedimage about being able to get a lot of cut from 205 by saturating your pad which keeps it from getting clogged with clearcoat. It actually worked very well, but in the interest of time and product I did end up doing a full 2 step with 105, then 205, testing various pads as I went.
    I found the lake country wool cutting disc was best with 105, lots of cutting power, then the hdo yellow, followed by buff and shine urofiber, and lastly the mega MF cutting discs. Then I used 205 with the urofiber and LC hdo orange pads which did a nice job finishing down. I tried some areas with a black bad but didnt find it made enough of a difference to go over the truck again.

Watt maker and SouthBoundSteve like this.
  11. Aug 13, 2019 at 10:26 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I have to say, I surprised myself. I still have a long ways to go but this was a nice learning project for sure.

SouthBoundSteve likes this.
  12. Aug 23, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Drove over to the sugar shack earlier. The truck still looks good and is slick and shiny. It's been driven a few times in the rain and stored outdoors. It could use a wash but everything still looks great.

20190823_161256.jpg

13. Aug 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    What a great looking truck. Fun project for sure. Just curious, have you checked under that drop in liner? I only ask because there was a thread recently where people were chiming in about bed rot under those. Would hate to see that happen with this one.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  14. Aug 23, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I have and there is quite a bot of surface rust but nothing too bad, BUT until a couple years ago it has always been stored inside and had a cap on it. The plan is to pull the liner and spray the bed with fluid film, as well as the frame, suspension, undercarriage, and the back side of all the accessible body panels this fall. I will be trying to talk my brother into investing in getting a spray in bed liner but I'm not sure he is willing to invest. If not I'll get fluid filmed and the drop in put back in place.

15. Aug 23, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Good deal. I'd just try to buff or sand that rust first. Fluid Film will be a good choice if he's too cheap to pay for the spray on bedliner.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Sep 10, 2019 at 7:05 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    @Pudge Any mid-term feedback on those headlights? I just picked up a 1988 E350 with square lamps &.... well 1988 tech.:(
    and did it require any wiring updates or were they plug & play?
    Thanks.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  17. Sep 10, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    They were plug and play. They are ridiculously bright and blinding so I wouldn't recommend them if you drive much at night, this truck is very rarely out past dusk. I was able to aim the down enough to be driveable.
    As far as I know they are still working fine, I did not notice any condensation issues in them when I saw the truck last week and it's been sitting out in all the rain we have had.
    I did notice when i was installing them that one went dim for a little while then "warmed up" or something and went full brightness. I added some dielectric grease to the plug after that little issue and didn't notice it since then. I'll check in with my brother tomorrow ,and go take a look at the truck tomorrow when I'm in the area getting my daughter from school and I'll update you.
    Maybe I'll even take it for a ride to my house after I drop her off, and give it a fluid film treatment and wash. Hmmm yeah i think I'll do that, i have tomorrow off from work.

NUDRAT[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top