1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Detailing Project: 1995 Chevy 1500 w/t

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Jul 22, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Any hopes of a group buy to kick off the promo code? All Pudge's talk is making me want to try more of their stuff other than wise guys.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  2. Jul 22, 2019 at 8:29 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    That would be really cool

3. Jul 22, 2019 at 8:51 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    I've heard of using a spritz of detail spray or water to moisten a dry pad before any compound is applied. Afterwards, and continuously during the process, no, never found it necessary.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 22, 2019 at 9:54 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I am still contemplating what I will use for LSP. I have a lot of options but can't decide.
    My list in order of my preference
    1. jescar powerlock x 2 coats, maybe with collinite topper, not sure
    2. DPC shield ceramic topped with reload
    3. optimum opti seal
    4. hydro2 topped with beadmaker

I have never used powerlock buy this seems like the perfect opportunity to try it out. I have read great things about it and spoke with Jason about it and this is the front runner.

The DPC shield is an unknown at this point with DPC claiming 12 months of protection from a single coat but this is yet to be proven as it is a newer product and 1 year is not much better than powerlock.

I am wondering if I can just go ahead and use the DPC shield and top it with powelock after it cures for a few days? Or maybe I should just skip the ceramic all together and go with powerlock or the other sio2 sealants that I have become accustomed to.

The truck will be washed regularly after I am done and I will send it home with a bottle of something to be used every few months to maintain the protection and gloss. It will likely be an OTC product my brother can buy locally like the new megs or mothers ceramic sprays, or aquawax duragloss.

NUDRAT and War Machine like this.
  5. Jul 23, 2019 at 6:18 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Not sure how it would work, since it’d be a big variety of products, but I can ask. Maybe see if he would throw some samples in with the first order for anyone using the code?

NUDRAT likes this.
  6. Jul 23, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I’d go with Powerlock since you haven’t tried it yet. It’s a little more work to apply, but it does last a good while. I did my coworker’s truck with it on April 11th. Just Powerlock, nothing on top. I sprayed it with a hose this morning and it’s still holding up. Not 100%, but still doing its job. That’s one good thing about doing other people’s vehicles: I get to see how long stuff lasts since I don’t tamper with it.

Watt maker and Pudge[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  7. Jul 23, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Maybe a bigger discount if we get a bunch of people to buy a certain amount of product.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 23, 2019 at 9:41 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I think I'll go with the powerlock. The truck has pretty simple lines and very few intricate areas so laying out down with a pad will be a snap with the da. From what I have read it wipes off really easy, I will likely do 2 coats just to be sure I got it all really well.

This truck will also be my Guinea pig tester for my new spray kit i got for flood film, i have only used aerosol cans until now

9. Jul 23, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Soooooooo my friends at detailed image are having a 20% coating sale. Few questions for @driverdog and @SouthBoundSteve
    Should I seriously consider cquartz for this truck? Seems like a viable option after all this paint correction. I would get a bottle of reload to hand off with the truck for maintenance washes.
    Would you recommend the CqUK version? Or plain Cq? Also how much product is needed to coat a truck? How much do you use for a tundra? This Chevy has far less paint than my tundra but was thinking maybe if I got a 50ml I could either do 2 coats or maybe have enough to do the Chevy and my tundra next year or this fall?
    Thanks in advance.

10. Jul 23, 2019 at 6:24 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Is 2 coats the recommendation?

11. Jul 23, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    What kinda of protection times are Are you noticing? Years?

12. Jul 23, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    Looks great Op. Never had any luck with m105 always dusted like crazy. M205 is good stuff. Job well done.

13. Jul 23, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    :hattip:

14. Jul 23, 2019 at 7:41 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I will figure out something. Not so sure in wanna do Cquartz but I know I should and definitely want to use it on my tundra at some point. I have DPC shield ceramic here which I could use. I really wanna try powerlock too so I have some decisions to make. I'm not sure if I could use powelock over the DPC shield once its cured, not sure it would bond correctly

15. Jul 23, 2019 at 8:21 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Reality check...I have plenty of stuff in my garage to get this job done and have no good reason to spend any more money on products at this point. So I will carry on with my previous plan and use powerlock x 2 coats.

War Machine and NUDRAT like this.
  16. Jul 24, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    When I painted my old 4Runner in 2005?, a friend was using Finesse-It II in his hobby garage. I found that I could finish sand with 1500 grit paper to remove orange peel and other defects, then use the Finesse-It II to polish out the 1500 grit sand scratches. 3M also makes a finer polish, but I found the benefit wasn't worth the additional labor...the shine could not be obviously improved with another polishing step.

It's not a product to be used unless the paint really needs correction. My old 4Runner lived outside with no protection. When I prepared it for sale in 2017, my beautiful paint job had deteriorated to a perfect FLAT RED on the top, hood, and the top portion of the side panels. I honestly thought the paint was history. On the top and hood, it took two or three finish sanding/polishing passes to bring it back. :eek: (Do not try this at home...a definite No-No. I didn't have anything to lose, and I had applied three coats of urethane clear, two of them wet.)

With the 1500 grit, I used Finesse-It II, yellow (orange?) LC pads, and a PC7424. (Yes, a rotary buffer would have been faster, but more dangerous in my hands). It wasn't perfect; it had some sap divots down to the primer on the top, but it looked pretty good.

076.jpg

17. Jul 24, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    Skip the second later of Powerlock...one is all you will need. I recently tried the Powerlock/Colorlock combo and was very very happy with the results. Colorlock gave me a better depth of color than the Powerlock alone.

War Machine likes this.
  18. Jul 25, 2019 at 7:19 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Here's a spot that was pretty bad, not through the clear coat though like some other areas.
    I hit this with m105 on yellow LC cutting pad, then buffed with m205 on an orange LC pad. It's pretty much invisible to the eye now. I got one bedside done today and it's looking pretty good

Screenshot_20190725-221148_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190725-221201_Gallery.jpg

19. Jul 25, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    20190726_002337.jpg 20190726_002402.jpg 20190726_003445.jpg Heard something out in the driveway so I went to look. Was just a deer roaming towards my garden. Anyway I check out the truck and I have to say I surprised myself. Never would I have ever thought I could do this. Thanks so much to everyone here who has helped guide me on how to take care of a vehicle's paint, especially @SouthBoundSteve

Tomorrow I hope to finish up the passenger side of the truck. Bedside and hood are done. Door and fender tomorrow. Maybe more if o have extra time.
    Here's the door I haven't done yet and the bedside that is done but has no protection on it yet.

20190726_002337.jpg

20190726_003445.jpg

ColoradoTJ, Newm, NUDRAT and 4 others like this.
  20. Jul 25, 2019 at 10:53 PM
    rallypanam

rallypanam New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Doublecab Limited 4x4
    Looks great. I didn’t even know people did this!

I barely wash my truck. Maybe if it gets a lot of mud, but otherwise meh, it I’ll rain within 6 months or so.

Boerseun, Ynot_tonY and NUDRAT like this.
  21. Jul 26, 2019 at 4:25 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Damn @Pudge you’re killing it!

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  22. Jul 26, 2019 at 5:23 AM
    JohnLakeman

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    What happens when it's time to turn this beautiful work of art back to your Sis-In-Law? Will hate take root in your heart as your labor of love and devotion is trampled by thousands of abusive "dump and beach runs"? You'll probably have to buy the truck from them to protect it, but I'm sure it'll be "priceless" now...a family legacy. :eek::D

Pudge[OP] and War Machine like this.
  23. Jul 26, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    Omohundro

Omohundro 2018 Not a Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jody
    McMinnville TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Bak Revolver, BedRug, Undercover Swingcase, PopLock, Bilstein 5160(rear), Firestone RideRite, TRD rear sway bar, Coachbuilder +2 rear shackles, Andersen 5” aluminum adjustable hitch, TRD dual exhaust, VLEDS interior leds including the footwell kit, TundraTex FRAC mod, VLEDS LPR backup tag mount led, Husky X-Act mats, Color matched cup holder bezel (silver), Ceramic 20% tint all around, 50% Ceramic windshield, Color Matched door handles & mirror caps, The “Stubby” antenna, AMP Research steps, VLEDS 6”step lights, ToyTec/5100 Bilstein coil overs, 700lbs red ToyTec springs (2.75” lift), 20x9 +18 Method 306 custom painted and custom fit center caps, Gorilla spline lugs, Bridgestone Revo 3s 285/60R20, TRD skid plate, RaptorLiner “Red” tow hooks, 19 Pro black LED headlights, VLEDS Triton V6 turns, Rigid SAE D series fog lamps, 19 TRD hood scoop, 2019 TRD Pro grille, Coachbuilder bumper shims, X-Pel protect under mud guards, Opti Coat Ceramic, Opti Coat Sealed. And some snakes and sparklers, because they are my favorite!
  24. Jul 26, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    Awesome work...can not wait to see the finished product. How did you find M105 as far as dusting?

NUDRAT likes this.
  25. Jul 26, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Once I figured out to use less of the 105 I found the dusting was a bit better but its still quite a bit. Kind of annoying but I'm working outside so I can just sweep or blow it off.
    I can only compare it to carpro clear cut which barely dusts at all. It dusts more than the 205 buy not so bad that I wouldn't recommend using it.

booyaa likes this.
  26. Jul 26, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    booyaa

booyaa New Member

Member:
    u see what u guys have done to this guy? look what u have created...

now youll have noone asking you shit anymore.. theyll all be asking him

hahaha

good shit my man.. very very dope

driverdog and Pudge[OP] like this.
  27. Jul 26, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Coming along nicely. Takesforever, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong lol.
    Quick note..M205 has some beading and sheeting abilities

20190726_175300.jpg
    20190726_181430.jpg

28. Jul 26, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Giving the roof some love

20190726_185129.jpg

29. Jul 26, 2019 at 7:44 PM
    NUDRAT

NUDRAT 6 lug life

Member:
    SW CT
    Vehicle:
    off-brand 1st Gen
    Dang. Looks awesome. I'm almost motivated to wash my truck this weekend. maybe...

Ynot_tonY and Pudge[OP] like this.
  30. Jul 26, 2019 at 7:47 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    This paint and clear coat is a dream to work with. It seems hard and thick, ummmm giggity, anyway there's a ton of clear to work with so you can get out some serious scratches with the compound. Tomorrow I should be gone with paint correction. Then I can work on detailing and cleaning it up. Maybe I'll even get a coat of powerlock on tomorrow. That would be nice

ColoradoTJ and booyaa like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top