1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering modifications...not sure where to start.

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by mgh-pa, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    mgh-pa

mgh-pa [OP] Perpetually a New Member.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    So I think my ability to maintain restraint is waning, and I'm considering breaking my own "rules" and may start to modify my Tundra. I have really convinced myself to not let this turn into a money pit as I have a family, and I'm big on saving for a new home/land as well as retirement. At the same time, I know saving everything and not enjoying the now isn't anyway to live. Have to find a balance.

Now with that being said, I'm a little torn as to where to start or with what.

I'm working with a '16 DC SR5 (4wd) with Safety and Convenience, as well as NAV. I've added a bed mat, Tri-fold, Husky contours (front and rear), Iron Cross steps, and a Center console organizer. That's it.

This is my daily driver (~40 miles roundtrip daily for ~182 days of the year as I'm a teacher). I really love how it rides now, so I'm a bit hesitant to go the level/tires route for fear of the mileage decrease and noise.

Things I would like to improve or dislike currently not having it:

• Spray-in liner
    • Heated Seats
    • Leather (possibly)
    • Change the wheels (I loathe the stock SR5 wheels...in fact it's the number 1 aesthetic item that makes me cringe when I look at it)
    • Get a better tire for all seasons
    • Level (most likely just Bilsteins up front on .87).
    • Remote start
    • TRD Pro Full Front Swap (Bulge, Grille, End Caps, Lights)
    I'm not doing it all at once. Just a list of items I would like to accomplish for now. I'm torn as to start with the comfort items first since they're what I will notice the most spending as much time as I do in the truck, or the aesthetics first. My tires are still in good shape, but are terrible on everything but pavement.

Budget is flexible, but I'm not sure the wife would be happy with a splurge all at once, but I'm not pinching pennies right now, either.

So, thoughts? Just want some opinions, honestly. Maybe some will look at this from a different perspective and shine some light on things I should prioritize that I'm not seeing.

Thanks!

khunk, ColoradoTJ and Law323 like this.
  2. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:36 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    I'll add that I no longer offroad. I use the truck on the road 90% of the time. The other 10%, I'm offroad hunting, cutting firewood, camping, etc., but never hardcore offroading...nothing you couldn't do stock. I do haul in the bed regularly.

3. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:43 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I would say do the useful mods first like bedliner / remote start but since you hate the rims maybe you should start looking into what rims you might want. Once you select a rim (and a tire size) that will tell you what suspension mods you will need and if you can get by with just new rims for now or if you need to go ahead and add new tires at the same time.

Use classifieds + craigslist as much as you can to look for good deals. I didn't really have any specific order for my mods I just added whatever was on sale or whatever I found a good deal on at the time until I had the look I was going for. Now I'm finishing off the useful mods such as remote start, sway bar, etc.

Law323 likes this.
  4. Oct 28, 2016 at 10:48 AM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Thanks. If I upgrade the wheels, I'm upgrading the tires. The tires are as weak looking as the wheels :)

If I go wheels, I think I would go with the KMC Skitches as they're a rare 8" wheel at +35mm. I like Borla's truck over on TT with this setup. However, if I go down this rabbit hole, I know I want tires. But a highway tread tire is going to look odd on these wheels. I like the KO2s, but I feel like my mileage will drop fast (I'm currently average 15 mpgs). See the conundrum? :)

5. Oct 28, 2016 at 11:28 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    There's a guy on here selling a set of leather covers (oem) off of his tundra. I think they were grey and appeared to be a reasonable price. Check the marketplace on this forum. I thought about buying them, but my wife thinks leather seats are too hot based on our experience with our other car.

6. Oct 28, 2016 at 11:48 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    What I like to do (which keeps the wife from beating you in your sleep and keeps saving on point for a plot, retirement, etc) is set a monthly allowance and if there's something you really want, save up for it or if you get a nice bonus or income tax, talk about it and agree on a percentage of what you'll take and what goes towards whatever else.

Oh yeah, spend some on your wife. Nothing wrong with a little butter every now and again LOL

gosolo and NewImprovedRon like this.
  7. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:07 PM
    DevilSquid91

DevilSquid91 New Member

Member:
    This is the Tundras.com version of "JUST THE TIP"!

8. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:12 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    If you're cringing everytime you see your wheels, you better start with that. Wheels, tires, lift/level. Then bed liner. Then grille. TRD sway bar?

9. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:24 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    bed liner is a good investment and brings value to the truck as well. I'm partial to Line-X :)

10. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:25 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    also the Viper alarm system is great. It has remote start too. My friend has it and I keep drooling over it..lol

11. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM
    TTU19

TTU19 Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    I went with all the small convenient stuff first, although i did have the dealership add leather prior to signing the papers. From there it's been sub $200 stuff. ESP storage (which you don't need in a DC), floor liners, tint, LEDs, decals, USB port, Raptor lights, plastidip bumpers... I'm buying the TRD Grill today though, ha. Deciding if the wife will kill me if I pull the trigger on the Retro Headlights.. ha

NewImprovedRon and Law323 like this.
  12. Oct 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    the interior LEDs is cheap and nice feature to have.

rockjockey and Law323 like this.
  13. Oct 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM
    mgh-pa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra DC SR5
    Thanks, everyone. Definitely some great points made.

Sent from my Turbo 2.

Law323 likes this.
  14. Oct 28, 2016 at 5:43 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    A nice simple mod that costs nothing and adds significantly to available space on your DC is the rear seat back fold down mod. Allows you to get to and use the room behind your rear seat.

joonbug likes this.
  15. Oct 28, 2016 at 6:13 PM
    lehminh

lehminh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L 2WD Front Bench Seats
    Save $$, just get heated seat pads. $25 for a pair. Works great!

16. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:11 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Sometimes it's necessary to ask for forgiveness rather than permission lo l:crapstorm:

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  17. Oct 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    ToyotaTundraMike is right, IMO, to look for deals, sales, craigslist and FB Tundra classifieds etc. I found a great deal on my TRD dual exhaust and Fox shocks through these media. The deals kinda dictated the order of the mods. Best of luck.

18. Oct 29, 2016 at 5:08 AM
    Mannishboy

Mannishboy New Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Limited, Blue Ribbon Metallic.
    TRD exhaust, TRD cai, TRD rear sway bar, TRD shift knob, Sequoia front sway bar, bed extender, bed step, Weathertech floor mats and window vents, spray in bed liner, Morimoto fogs, Access tonneau bed cover.
    If you do mostly street/highway driving like I do, the rear sway bar is something you'll notice and love right away. Maybe after new wheels and tires? (I'm a teacher too)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  19. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:45 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
  20. Dec 16, 2016 at 6:57 AM
    scurdyness

scurdyness One thing is sure, uncertainty is certain

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Fort Smith, AR
    Vehicle:
    2017 MBM Platinum_BlackOps
    TRD CAI, TRD Dual Exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, TRD shift knob, T-Rex Sport grilles upper and lower, full window tint and brow, de-chromed, powder coat OEM wheels, blue LED interior, Winjet Tails, Retrofit headlights
    I got a great deal on my trade so I was able to get the bigger mods done very quickly. Once the dust settles, I will see what's up next. Good luck brother!

21. Dec 16, 2016 at 8:43 AM
    Motor71

Motor71 teufel hunden

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra platinum
    TRD sway bar, matching mirror cover, 20% tint, esp aluminum box, Line-X premium, Undercover Flex tonneau cover, led interior lights, winjet smoked tail lights. Road armor rear bumper w/ road armor shackles, go rhino front bumper.
    so many mods, so little money....story of my life.

T-Rex266, scurdyness and aperezsh like this.
  22. Dec 16, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    aperezsh

aperezsh Blessed are the peacemakers

Member:
    First Name:
    Ali
    cal-exit landed in GA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crew Max Magnetic Gray Metallic
    A little this and that...Broke now
    Yup! I came in like a boss..new rims,tires,steps,weather techs, esp, viper alarm..now I'm ballin' on a budget...thank God for pay pal

Products Discussed in

To Top