1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Compass/temp not working

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by tookustundra, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Oct 17, 2020 at 9:28 PM
    tookustundra

tookustundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC ltd
    My overhead compass and temp display is not showing up. I know there is power going there because the homelink button is lit up. Also, I have used a voltmeter to check all of the truck's fuses.

2. Oct 22, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    shifty`

shifty` "that guy"

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited 4WD + LSD & TOW PKG
    I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but because the compass uses an embedded unit and the temp comes from a separate sensor elsewhere in the car, if both are not working, it's likely a problem with how power and/or the LCD display is being fed because the likelihood of two separate systems failing is almost zilch.

I would immediately suspect the harness has an issue like a fried power pin, or more likely the PCB or circuitry pushing power is fried. With you having a DC, I could see a number of things such as a sunroof leak could short the unit or other things.

First thing I would do after checking both sides of the harness for burnt pins, assuming a DMM shows constant and ACC power is there as you said, is pop the unit down and trace how power gets to the circuit board and then to the LCD. Maybe the LCD cable is not fixed or soldered, so you can unplug to unseat/reseat to see if that helps? I'd look for for burnt spots on or around any circuitry you see, check for evidence of water leaks around the area and corrosion.

Best bet is probably hitting up the junkyard and buying a replacement assembly. Most of the pull-a-part lots in my are charge $20-40 for consoles like this.

3. Oct 22, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    tookustundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC ltd
    That's a great answer! Thank you.

SO I have pulled the whole unit down, taken the circuit board out and re-soldered everything that looked suspicious(nothing really looked broken) I also cleaned up the wires. Some wires (green,black, and white) come off a big harness and go towards the two map lights. Other wires go to a smaller harness which plugs into the compass/temp Circuit board. As I was putting it back up for the night, two bare wires (green and black) kinda sparked, they go to map lights( and back to board), and the display lit up, showed accurate temp and direction.
    Because of this, I think that I have no power getting to the board, or maybe something is wrong with the ground wire.
    Also to note: The homelink garage door button doesn't have a constant light anymore.

On top of this, my map lights only turn on when the doors are open, and the back dome light is turned to "DOOR". My doors were open when the two bare wires connected and the display worked.

I have not seen any burnt pins in the harnesses.

4. Oct 23, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Is there a seperate fuse for that?

5. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    tookustundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC ltd
    I am unsure. I have checked all of the fuse boxes that I could find in the manual.

Products Discussed in

To Top