1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cattle Dog attacked 2nd time. He's fine Things I learned.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Tierhog, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Apr 29, 2021 at 9:55 AM
    Skey44

Skey44 GreenvilleOverland

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    Lift, tires, wheels, roof rack
    There are many dogs that want to kill cyclists around here. I’ve wasted many liters of hydration to their faces. These dogs and their owners need to be more accountable for their inappropriate interactions with the public. I have called the cops on the dogs before and they just don’t care unless something actually happens. And I’m not willing to get bit to prove a point.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  2. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:00 AM
    Skey44

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
    Also another unfortunate event that split friends. One guy had a sweet on leash pit and a friends girl friend’s dog not on leash at a college football tailgate in public area. The smaller off leash dog attacked the bigger on leash dog and was latched onto by the bigger dog. Pit owner had medical bills from where the small dog bit through his hand and caused an awful infection and copious blood loss. Smaller dog was heavily injured. Girlfriend of friend never forgave or accepted the incident was her and her dogs fault (her dog was considered acceptably aggressive since it was so small in her mind) Girlfriend never cared that other dog owner was badly injured in incident apparently thought her dogs injuries were more important than human injury. It is a me world out there. Created a rift in many relationships.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  3. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:11 AM
    B33

B33 New Member

Member:
    The wIfe had the same thing happen to her 2 times , same dog a GS first time the Owner got there in time . I told her next time don't get between them Daisy our dog is extremely obedient and not a small dog she is 65Lbs Red nose pitbull so the second time the owner was not fast enough to get his dog and when the GS Lunged ad my wife and dag Daisy went in to protect more and graded the GS and went to town shaking him like a rag doll the wife gave her the command to stop and she did then gave her the watch command witch she did. cops and animal control were called by the Neighbor for my dog being a pit and some how she Attacked hid GS once the Animal control guy found out the GS was off leash he told us to have a nice day there a re some real bad dog owners out there

4. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    Skey44

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 GX 460
  5. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    German Shepherd

Skey44 likes this.
  6. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    TaquitoBandito

TaquitoBandito SSEM #91, KitKat Aficionado, A Dancer for Money Exotic Dancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro Crewmax
    Retrax Pro XR, Desert Eagle Plate, Seat Jackers, Kenwood DMX1037S
    I had an awesome whippet/shepherd mix and a rescue black lab (English stye with the big paws) that I used to have off-leash in our front yard because they never left me and listened. If somebody was walking by, they'd sit up or down and watch.

My special needs brother-in-law and his mother moved next door to us. He had my black lab in his house and I was in my front yard. A dude was walking by with his dog on a leash and the dog was aggressively pulling towards me (I was probably 25 ft away). My brother-in-law opened his door and Thunder, my lab, tore out of there and charged towards the guys dog. I yelled at her to stop and she did but that was the last time she was ever allowed off leash in my front yard or to go to my brother-in-laws without me.

I felt bad because I knew she was just protecting me but it could have been really horrible if she got a hold of that dog.

7. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    1. My wife's fear of this is the reason we have a $1500 purebred instead of a rescue as I originally advocated for. I'm not a huge fan of supporting breeders, though the one we bought from turned out to be a friend of my aunt. My wife's family has had rescue dogs attack other dogs of theirs with no warning. (We also need something that doesn't shed for my wife's allergies.)

2. Our dog suddenly started getting really agressive at his doggy day care and was asked to leave. I'm thinking he was attacked by another dog when no one was watching.

8. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:55 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    The Canada Goose is going to be our secret weapon against @TaquitoBandito 's invasion.

Leo's first and TaquitoBandito like this.
  9. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    MoonRock2021

MoonRock2021 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro Crewmax Lunar Rock 2021 4Runner Nightshade
    There are 2 types of breeders.

1. Backyard breeders who are in it for the money not caring where the dog ends up or what becomes of it.

2. Responsible Breeders that try and maintain the genetics of the Breed Standard. These ones become like family and will help in any way to make sure that the pup is well taken care of and it's actually hard to buy pups from these kind of breeders due to their application processes.

10. Apr 29, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    My dog showed her teeth to me once... I bit her. She never did it again. She’s a sweetheart red nosed pit. I still watch her like a hawk. I trust her with my family and my life. But not yours! She does not allow roughhousing between humans (my fault because I encouraged it so she would protect my girls). She also breaks up fights between other dogs at the dog park, standing between them. I still don’t 100% trust her. If someone falls, she barks at them. I’m always worried she might get too mama bear on a kid. She didn’t start getting this way until she had a stroke (she’s 13). Now she’s super sensitive. She’s still a great dog and very even tempered. I’m still going to keep my eye and control over her.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  11. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:19 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    Are you sure you want to unleash the geese? I planned on bringing bbq...

12. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Oh, well if you're bringing Texas BBQ, come on up. I'll just run to the store for some beer and whisky.

13. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    I thought you'd come around.
    :)

14. Apr 29, 2021 at 1:57 PM
    Notachickmagnet

Notachickmagnet New Member

Member:
    I have seen my neighbors dogs... jump fences, bust out of doors, be let out doors, chase cars, people, and run the mailman down. I have heard their dogs fighting.
    Only one neighbor can walk her dog, all of the others are out of control. Every neighbor knows, any of their dogs come charging my dogs...they will taste my boot.

15. Apr 30, 2021 at 9:41 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    I'll add my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Dogs are a pack animal, meaning the organize themselves into hierarchies. As dog owners our primary responsibility should be to establish ourselves as the pack leader, making them submissive, laidback and happy go lucky. If you as a dog owner do not establish the pack leader, your dog will do it for you leading to the altercations described in this thread. I would guess 95% or more of dog attacks come from dogs who have taken on the pack leader role and are attacking in a act of defending it's pack. Knowing this I think really helps when defending yourself in a dog attack.

Steps I take when encountering an aggressive dog:

1. Do not be timid or fearful (hardest step) weak energy will only add to the dogs aggression. Instead be as calm and assertive as possible. Good breathing techniques can really help.

2. Do not ignore, run from or keep away the target of the aggressive dog. This will only empower it or feed it's pray drive. Instead stare it down, approach it in a calm, direct and dominant manner.

3. If the dog is charging, get between it and it's target and follow steps 1 & 2. Biggest obstacle to overcome with a charging dog is gaining it's attention. For this you can scream, wave, kick, punch, but what I've found to be the most effective a strong 4 finger poke to the ribs and neck. Biggest mistake I see people make in this regard is they pick one way of distracting the dog and stick with it even when it's not working, if what your doing isn't getting the dogs attention try something else.

4. After gaining the dogs attention keep direct eye contact, stand over said dog and do not back down until they do (this might require you to physically walk into the dog forcing it to back away).

5. If you are unable to gain the attacking dogs attention, pin it to the ground by it's neck. This is what dogs do naturally to establish dominance over others. With it pinned stand over it with direct eye contact and remain calm (use good breathing techniques). Keep it pinned until it's owners show up or it's heart beat slows.

Please take this as a suggestion, and know every situation is different. This is just things I have picked up and found effective.
    My girl:
    IMG_1784[1].jpg

16. Apr 30, 2021 at 10:13 AM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Here, let me derail that for you

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    Most breeders are just in it to make a buck. For those I agree with you and that is by far the majority. There are a few breeders who are actually trying to make better dogs, healthier dogs, better tempered dogs, dogs that don't get cancer. These people deserve to be paid for the work. Most people have not idea or plan on how to do that. They are few and far between. If you are going to spend money on a dog, do it with these people.

https://youtu.be/4ieKl8k_DE0

17. Apr 30, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    MoonRock2021

MoonRock2021 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    On the other hand. Rescues are by far a larger money maker then any "reputable" breeder. 75% of these non profits actually profit a ton on rescues. Not by rehoming the animal with their $400+ fee but by accepting "donations" and using this money to "Foster" the dog out instead of giving up to a family that actually want the dog. I've tried to rescue a few in the past, the most recent being just yesterday and myself being a dog trainer pretty much disqualified me from being a candidate. After I had a friend in Ga reach out and they wasn't willing to ship the dog to her either even though it was all expenses paid. Yet they asked for a Donation.

18. Apr 30, 2021 at 11:39 AM
    MoonRock2021

MoonRock2021 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I deal with some of the top breeders in the world as well as trainers. The dogs I deal with are mainly for Military, K9 services including bomb detection and prospects for IGP/IPO Sports. All Breedings are carefully handpicked.

19. Apr 30, 2021 at 11:40 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 CM
    I don't know anything about animal rescue financials, but I can say Carol Baskin is a POS!

20. Apr 30, 2021 at 11:52 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    @ColoradoTJ that table is rad.

I got a German Shepherd mix in a headlock once in a similar situation. I guess it was more like a half nelson if we have any 80s wwf fans. In my early 20s my at-the-time-girlfriend and I were walking her poodle and a dog jumped a 4 foot fence and came at it. Girlfriend picked up the poodle but the dog wasn't deterred, he stood up trying to attack. So I grabbed it the only way I could and realized I was stuck holding it from behind. Luckily owners came out pretty quick and got him, they were apologetic.

I don't think I would try that again 20 years later, I'm not nearly as quick now. I got pretty scraped up but nothing serious.

I wouldn't blame the breed, any dog can act that way. It is important to be cautious at all times around dogs and never ever think the owner of the other dog has control.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  21. Apr 30, 2021 at 1:03 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:

22. Apr 30, 2021 at 1:05 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    This technique will work on male dogs also...

Skey44, jewsNbrews and MoonRock2021 like this.
  23. Apr 30, 2021 at 1:08 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    Seriously, that's some scary shit. I've been fortunate enough in my life that in the few times I've had encounters with aggressive dogs, they charge and then stop. I have a pretty loud and deep voice and that may have been the contributing factor. Or I smell horrible. Or maybe the combination of both.

24. Apr 30, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    I can't speak to a lot of Dog Rescues but we've done websites for a few in Texas and they are pretty damn legit. A lot of the money goes towards treating the puppies that come in with parvo or some other medical emergency and for obedience training. As far as them holding on to the dogs - the ones I know of (Austin Dog Rescue & Golden Retriever Rescue of Houston) only hold onto a dog until they find a good home for them. They are run by volunteers (the fosters) who have full-time jobs and they can get flooded with apps for a particular pup. That's usually the delay in getting the dog into a good home.

25. Apr 30, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Completely agree with you on this, at least in Southern California. After months of trying to adopt a dog through several agencies I ended that search with the impression that most (hopefully not all) of these agencies are just businesses. From what I gather they rescue dogs from shelters that they know would be adopted, then sell them for upwards of $300 to approved candidates. Thats for older dogs, if you want 2 years or younger its $450 and up, puppy is $600 and up. From the consumer side you may as well hit a breeder at that point, which is what I ended up doing for much less money.

The tell that I started picking up on was where these places were located. Malibu, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Santa Barbara, etc. Not places where its cheap to operate.

When I was a kid you just went to the pound and got a dog for around $50. I tried County run shelters but they didn't have smaller dogs and wouldn't allow meeting dogs at the time (Covids fault, not theirs).

26. Apr 30, 2021 at 1:52 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    You all need to come to Austin - get some BBQ and a dog.

27. Apr 30, 2021 at 1:59 PM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I went to San Diego and my dog came from Tijuana, I didn't know that going in but it worked out well. He's healthy and happy.

Texas brisket always sounds good to me. No matter where I get it here it isn't as good.

28. Apr 30, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    Brimaster

Brimaster New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Metallic DC TRD
    Same thing happened years ago to my wife when she was out walking with our Lab. A pitbull came out from a yard at them across the street and attacked the our dog and wife. After about 10 minutes the someone came out and finally got the dog off and went back into the house and left my wife and our dog just sit there. So wife and dog limped back home and called the police and then took dog to vet and her to ER. After a bunch of BS the attacking dog was taking by animal control. No records on shots or any stuff as owners never got any for the dog so the dog was put down. It was a nightmare.

Sorry but that breed of dog has a history of stuff like this and why most people own them for "protection". Owners need to take more responsibility for their animals as well.

Now we ALWAYS have something with for cases like this and if it ever happens again the dog will loose...

TaquitoBandito likes this.
  29. Apr 30, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    Rubberdown

Rubberdown Spilling my guts here.

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Get the aggressors rear end up by the back legs and start kicking them in the gut. That’ll stop about any dog. Been there done that with everything from pits to you name it. Not advocating it but if you’re going to get involved get in quick and stop it. Don’t get between them.

TaquitoBandito likes this.
  30. Apr 30, 2021 at 3:17 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    We had a Mickelthwaits BBQ open up a restaurant three blocks away from us - they were considered one of the top BBQ food trucks in Texas. They only lasted a year but buying brisket there on Sundays was my weekly ritual - it was my church. I was never much of a brisket fan but, damn, they had good stuff. Anyways, they shut down and I was going through withdrawal so I bought a RecTeq RT-700 and read Aaron Franklins book on BBQ. He lays it all out in his book and I dare say that my brisket has been as good or better than Mickelthwaits (and a hell of a lot cheaper). Salt & Pepper and a little love is all you need for some amazing Central Texas style brisket.

Products Discussed in

To Top