1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cattle Dog attacked 2nd time. He's fine Things I learned.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Tierhog, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Apr 28, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog [OP] SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    So wife and I are on a peaceful stroll early on Mother's day last year. Homeowners garage door is open, fire door propped by boxes. We walk by and a pit bull zips out like a missle snarling. We literally start a circle dance as my pup is on a 6 ft lead off a collar. Pits jaws are snapping. Owner finally comes out due to the commotion, we file a police report and go about our business.

Last week. Same thing happens except it's 8pm and we are across the street walking the opposite direction. Pit zips across street. Owner is clueless. We do the circle dance , I pull a knife and suddenly the owner decides she wants to intervene. 911 call placed and the cavalry arrive in seconds. Nobody injured except a grazing blow to pit. Police report filed.

What I learned.

1. Most owners can't control their animals off lead.
    2. Alot of dogs have aggressive tendencies beyond their property line.
    3. A harness can protect your dog.
    4. When lack of traffic allows, let your cattle dog outrun him ( they'll never leave you)
    5. Pits don't like long benchmade knives (bear spray on order)
    6. Pick another route, lightening can strike in the same spot.
    7. Always file a report and request contact.
    8. Always sue for damages (vet on call)
    9. Realize parks have houses surrounding them that contain dangerous animals of any breed.
    10. Always distance yourself from open garage doors.

Good luck folks, it's a jungle out there.

20201127_133203.jpg

2. Apr 28, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    eick

eick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax TRD Off Road
    I have a pit and the only way she'd zip across the yard to anyone is if you were shaking a box of milkbones at her. She thinks she weighs 2 pounds and wants to cuddle with everyone ( she weighs 65), the kids in the neighborhood are around her all the time and she just laps it up.

Sucks to see bad pet owners out there, for ANY breed.

We keep our dogs inside the house, fence, or on a leash. Never without some form of our control except at the dog park.

3. Apr 28, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    I don't have any use for dogs like that. If it's acting aggressive like that towards your dog walking past it's house, there is no reason it won't do the same to child that is out playing in the street.

MaxMB, Voss, equin and 3 others like this.
  4. Apr 28, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    IndianaGeologist

IndianaGeologist New Member

Member:
    I've had similar experiences, but not with dogs hurting ours, but the other way around. We'll be walking our dog on leash and a neighbors unleashed dog (mostly small dogs under 20 lbs) will come running to pick a fight. To prevent their dog from getting killed I just pick our heeler up and walk away... would be a different story if the attacking dog was bigger though.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  5. Apr 28, 2021 at 8:57 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog [OP] SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I've seen all kinds of dogs get aggressive, and the blame is squarely on the owners, but if he would have latched on to me, the knife would have been the least of his problems. We weren't justified in firearm use YET, but it got awfully close. Crazy times we live in.

Dwarven1 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  6. Apr 28, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    bsktball55

bsktball55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra TRD Pro
    Bakflip MX4 Toneau cover Esp storage Audio system (Helix speakers, JL audio amp and sub) Front windows and windshield tinted LED interior and bed lights
    Nope as soon as that dog charges you and is snarling and snapping at you, you are justified. If you wait until it gets ahold of you or your wife or dog, it's too late. I would make it very clear to the neighbor that the next time it comes charging at you, it will be the last time. Not sure how California see those things, but here in Missouri, you would be very much in your right to protect yourself.

Skey44 likes this.
  7. Apr 28, 2021 at 9:11 AM
    SoCalTundy

SoCalTundy Member since 2017

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    I woulda shot it but that’s just me. Love the look of a pit, but they are head cases in my book. Heard of too many attacks on other dogs and children by the breed.

bdpeelgren, Voss, Kn4x2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Apr 28, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    CavBluTundra

CavBluTundra CavBluisdabomb

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road Limited
    Similar thing happened to me. Walking my Yorkie, about 9 lbs at the time. Black German Shepard comes out from open garage, barking, snarling, and snapping at my dog. First kick was to the shepard's chest while pulling my dog harness/leash as quick as I could while turning away from the attack. Didn't slow the dog down, keeps coming now into my circle away. Kicked him a second time in the left ribcage. Knocked him off balance only for a second. By this time, my dog was in my arms, me still turning and the shepard is still after my dog. Owner finally comes running out of his garage and grabs the dog by the choke collar. Never says sorry, f*** you, nothing. I am so pissed I am shaking and actually forgot that I had my .380 in my pocket. Muttered something to him about keeping his dog in check, mf'er. Kept on walking. That same afternoon wife and I were driving by the same house, dog charges out at a young lady walking on sidewalk and she almost jumped into my lane of traffic. Scared the crap out of her. The owner is a piece of crap that doesn't give a shit about neighbors or his dog. Needless to say, we don't walk that route anymore. All breeds can be dangerous if not trained or treated properly. I'm a dog lover from birth, but you have to put time into the animal.

Voss, equin, jewsNbrews and 3 others like this.
  9. Apr 28, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    gdiep

gdiep I like cookies

Member:
    Syracuse, New York
    Vehicle:
    2014 Red Tundra CM SR5
    We had a similar experience recently. My young daughter walking her 6 month old puppy was attacked by a pair of 7 lb ish dogs that weren't leashed or fenced. Our puppy cowered and cried and my daughter picked him up. The 2 yippy dogs jumped on my daughter to get to our puppy. One of them nipped at my daughter's legs. My daughter quickly walked back towards home while holding her pup. Finally, the owner called to the two yip dogs and they retreated home. When I learned about this, I went to the house, asked to speak to the father and told him what had happened. I told him that should it happen again, I have instructed my kids to not allow themselves to be bitten. Rather, they will punt those dogs like they kick soccer balls. I gave the owner fair warning that his dogs will suffer due to his incompetence and irresponsibility. No one wants to see animals get hurt, but I will not allow my kids or puppy to be attacked when they are innocently walking down the street. It's also why we never let our dog off leash unless it is in our fenced in back yard. Because we are ultimately responsible for our animals and we wouldn't want anyone hurt by our pup.

Voss and GODZILLA like this.
  10. Apr 28, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    bwh

bwh New Member

Member:
    One of the many reasons to not live in a neighborhood, but I know I may be in the minority on that.

I've always had tiny little 20-30# dogs come charging after my lab. I don't understand why people let their dogs out to do their business in their front yard without even an electric fence (or an actual fence). Almost saw a little heel biter get run over trying to run after me and lab.

Most dog owners, like most car owners, are barely capable of what they're doing and do not think through the repercussions of their actions until too late. Accidents happen, but often due to negligence and stupidity/laziness.

11. Apr 28, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    IndianaGeologist

IndianaGeologist New Member

Member:
    Most of us live where the jobs are and don't want to drive 2 hours to get to work, or else wed all be out in the country and then there wouldn't be much country left....but I get your point.

Tierhog[OP] and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  12. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:16 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I know what my dog is capable of. Knowing that moving forward I take action to ensure nothing like this happens...ever. I’m not getting sued for damages or losing a pet due to them feeling it was justified to shoot (which outside my property and out of control they are). Have you priced a German Shepherd puppy lately? 4-5500.00 for excellent bloodlines.

DA36EE89-F4BB-488C-A1F6-E6D2BBC0A076.jpg

From left to right:

Training collar. This is used in many positive ways and not just discipline. Walks in high dog traffic areas, the collar is on.

Pinch control collar. This is used when walking, two finger control is easily obtainable. If fitted correctly and not used harshly (this can injure a dog), very effective. If my dog doesn’t stop with a quick snap of this collar, I switch to the training collar. This hasn’t happened yet.

I also use this collar flipped around if he is left outside for the day. This helps protect his throat from something that might want to bite in this location.

The muzzle is for when off leash and other dogs are around. This is usually during Jeeping for the first hour. He gets acquainted with the other dogs, get the pecking order humping completed, he is fine.

13. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:29 AM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    A lady was attacked by two Pits about 2 miles north of where I live. They had escaped the yard and saw here as an easy target. She had to have someone feed her at first due to the injuries to her arms, and she spent six months in rehab after that. A friend and I each bought one of these. I've used mine a couple of times to get strays out of my yard, and my friend used his to scare away a Pit that was making the wrong kind of advances one evening when he was walking. I carry a gun when I walk, but I don't want the hassle of dealing with the police if I have to use it. The sound from the cane seems to make dogs think twice about getting close. If there were a need to touch the dog with it, I'm sure it would make a lasting impression.

https://fashionablecanes.com/products/zap-cane-stun-gun-rechargeable-cane-with-led-flashlight

14. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:31 AM
    TaquitoBandito

TaquitoBandito SSEM #91, KitKat Aficionado, A Dancer for Money Exotic Dancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro Crewmax
    Retrax Pro XR, Desert Eagle Plate, Seat Jackers, Kenwood DMX1037S
    We had a military working flunky dog German Shepherd. Strong as hell but had no aggression unless you were a tennis ball (which is why he flunked). He literally had no training and was about 2 when the Air Force gave him to us. I had to feed him from my hand for the first 3 months so he knew that he needed me (which gave him a weird fetish for my hands)... Anyways, I had him on a pinch collar and pretty much leashed to me for those first months so he learned boundaries. Point is that they make the pinch collars breed specific based on their hair thickness (I believe) so you don't accidentally hurt your pup.

TheBlackPearl likes this.
  15. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:35 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    This is why I always carry both a knife and a gun when I walk our dogs. If there is a dog attack going on they will likely be moving so fast I'd risk shooting my own dog so that's where the knife comes into play. I pray I never have to stab a dog though.

Voss, Hi06silver and TheBlackPearl like this.
  16. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    TheBlackPearl

TheBlackPearl Newish member

Member:
    La Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TSS Crewmax 4x4
    FWIW...I appreciate owners like you. I wish more people were that responsible. I grew up with German Shepherds and have always been a “big dog” person. We have been Akita owners now for the past 20+ years (with some boxers in between) and have always tried to be as responsible as possible. The prong collar works for us and we always use it when out and about on leash.

MoonRock2021 likes this.
  17. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:38 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    E-collar is an absolute must. So many conveniences. BUT you have to get a good one. My dogs each have one and the amount of control you have while inflicting no pain is amazing. When the collars go on the dogs know they are about to have a lot of fun

18. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    Kicking works. Had a situation with a dog charging mine. I told mine to stay and I punted that dog in the chest. He whimpered a bit and then ran home. I felt terrible for a month but no way am I allowing my dog to get hurt

19. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    You can't feel bad. It's huge when your dog is on a leash and an unleashed dog is charging. #1 your dog is already at a disadvantage and #2 it's probably more worried about you than you are about it. You should be proud that you were able to stop the attack.

The bad thing is when unleashed dogs pack up. A neighbor in our old subdivision was walking his very large black mouth cur and was attacked by a pitbull, a lab, and another large dog. They went after him and his dog. It was a long time ago but I want to say his dog needed surgery and he needed stitches. Big dude too but they were attacking from every direction. After that, he walked with a metal baseball bat.

MoonRock2021 and ColoradoTJ like this.
  20. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Oh man, do I have a story about this. Later on though. I gots shit to do.

Lake.Life24 likes this.
  21. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:51 AM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya! It is crazy. I have an 80 something yr old neighbor who walks his husky 6 miles a day. He carries a metal cane. I asked why because he personally doesnt need one and he mentioned dog attacks. He whacked the hell out of a yellow lab one day. That dog was an asshole

22. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:51 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Good point. Still not a bad idea to have a knife though. Good to have a plan B.

23. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:57 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog [OP] SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Good Lord, I had no idea how widespread this problem is. Good to hear all these different situations and perceptions.

24. Apr 28, 2021 at 10:58 AM
    Tierhog

Tierhog [OP] SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    California would have labeled it a reckless discharge unless I could articulate the imminent threat perception. Be lucky you live elsewhere.

Dwarven1 and MoonRock2021 like this.
  25. Apr 28, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    Toyokuhl

Toyokuhl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cav Blue CM OR
    I just do not trust a pit. Our CD is really really well trained but timid around other dogs. Would not defend himself! I would though :)

26. Apr 28, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    Damie Street

Damie Street New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edsel
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM CrewMax SR5 TRD OffRoad
    Good looking Blue Heeler. Great dogs. My boy is 12.

FrenchToasty and Tierhog[OP] like this.
  27. Apr 28, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    TaquitoBandito

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel (AKA Bif)
    Vehicle:
    I never trusted any dog but my own. When I was in 6th Grade, I was petting a friends chocolate lab with my right hand. I reached over to pet her with my left and she bit me. One of her canines slit my hand open between my pinky and my ring finger. That scar is my lifelong reminder to never trust another person's dog.

28. Apr 28, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    Our little Rottweiler mix "Martha" got attacked a few months ago at the dog park. It wasn't anything serious and was 100% the other dogs fault (ours was just running across and it bit her on the back leg/butt, the momentum opened up a nice wound), but it's one of the reasons I take her on leashed runs now instead of the Dog Park. I stay fit and she gets a daily 5k run in the forest.

I think a lot of the recent dog issues and behavioral issues are caused by "Covid Dog Owners", as I call them. People who got a dog due to being bored during the Pandemic.

This took a while to heal and she gets super slinky when we see that dog now. I talked to the owner and we are all good, his dog is old and he offered to pay the vet bills (if there were any). I didn't hold any hard feelings towards him or his dog, but it still sucked to have happened.

original_f22546c7-1d8f-4c32-b084-b7a86c3841db_PXL_20201222_233620611.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  29. Apr 28, 2021 at 1:04 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    One of my good friends was walking his dogs and had this happen. One is a good pound rescue and the other is a Cane Corso.D408F11E-BF7E-499F-AA62-94A4EF9C6CB6.jpg

His fiancé let her Cane Corso go, and he went to work on that dog. He didn’t even have the chance to draw his weapon before his woman’s dog wounded that dog bad. He left it were it laid.

30. Apr 28, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    That makes mine look like a kiss on the cheek.

Ouch! Poor doggie.

Products Discussed in

To Top