1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cali is terrible.. where would you go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NoRcptn, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:35 AM
    Steve89gt

Steve89gt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited CM
    De-badged, De-chromed, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100s, Fuel 18 x 9 wheels, BFG KO2s 275/70/18, ESP Underseat Storage
    Upstate NY

2. Oct 16, 2019 at 6:35 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn [OP] Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    Cambria is pretty awesome. Well, the whole view from SB to Carmel is ridiculous. I still need to stop and have some lunch at Nepenthe's some time.

Niceguy[QUOTED] and Voyagermike like this.
  3. Oct 16, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    McMason

McMason New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDOR CM Cement
    Since I'm pretty new here and things can easily get misconstrued on the internet, I'll start with saying that I mean this respectfully and say these things for discussion; not to try and sound right or make anyone else sound wrong:
    I think this is a completely accurate statement. My only follow up would be: Why is that inherently bad? I don't think the problem is people with differing views. I think the problem is people who are convinced that their views (regardless of what they are) are the only possible correct ones, and loudly, rudely, and occasionally violently voice their intolerance for the views of others. Those people come from everywhere.

I don't think coincidence is the best word, but I do find it incredibly hard to believe that enough voters from one political party moved from one state to another, outnumbered the existing voting pool enough to tip the scales, then voted the same way in every single election. Could it be a contributing factor? Sure. Is it as much of a factor as the generational change in voting that seems to be reflected in age-specific polling? Not in my opinion. The overall influx of people to Colorado may play a bigger part. As in Idaho, people are coming in from all over. Colorado is a beautiful place; I can understand why. To use California as a pinpoint for all of this change seems like scapegoating.

It always seemed to me that the state of Florida went out of its way to attract NY retirees. Even if that's not the case, why decide to lump them all together and hate them? There are assholes everywhere; NY, FL, ID, CA, everywhere. I've come to think that the only good way to deal with them is to either be kind and hope someday they find a way to improve themselves as human beings, or ignore/avoid them and hope the same.

Anyway, that's just for discussion. We are all human beings and my opinions don't mean any more or less than yours. Cheers :cheers:

4. Oct 16, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum

HA! Yeah that's why I wrote in the original post it's not a political diatribe. But, hey I like hearing the discussion and peoples opinions.
    If you do the right research you'll see many places advertising and promoting tourism, jobs, industry, and relocation. Any tax haven state does that. Sparks, NV has been recruiting for decades.

Anyway, THANK YOU ALL for your input and opinions. If anything I have some new areas to go visit on vacation and enjoy the local faire, people, beer, and beauty that you all love about your home area. I may even bring some Avocado toast and paper straws to share.
    If you're ever in the Auburn or Tahoe area, I'll show you around or at least give you some advice on my favorite local spots.
    -Cheers

5. Oct 16, 2019 at 8:27 AM
    Wiscdave

Wiscdave New Member

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra Sport
    Old ride 13 RW BA budget, 3/2 lift JL W7
    Just please don't bring your Cali politics here..LOL

6. Oct 16, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    TomC843

TomC843 The wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16, 4X4, 4U3, Katzkins, Flowmaster, ARE MX, Swing cases, TRD skid plate, Volant CAI....
    Sounds like you be happy in the upstate over Charleston but to vist we are #1.
    "For the very first time, readers of Travel + Leisure have voted Charleston the No. 1 City in the World! Charleston is the first domestic destination to earn the coveted No. 1 City in the World ranking. This is the fourth consecutive year Charleston is ranked the No. 1 City in the United States and Canada. We are both honored and humbled, and we extend a sincere thank you to everyone who voted."

7. Oct 16, 2019 at 8:45 AM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    Yelp...there goes Charleston.

TomC843[QUOTED] and Trooper2 like this.
  8. Oct 16, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    TomC843

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    16, 4X4, 4U3, Katzkins, Flowmaster, ARE MX, Swing cases, TRD skid plate, Volant CAI....
    We love tourist $$$.

9. Oct 16, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Good point.

Bingo. This was the case with a lot of the New Yorkers I met. I never understood why they wanted to make Florida like New York. It was frustrating to say the least.

Also a good point. I'm sure there are lot of reasons why CO has swung left.

Hate is probably a strong word. We disliked them because they are rude and obnoxious. I don't really have a probably stating that as truth.

McMason[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Oct 16, 2019 at 9:34 AM
    PJR202

PJR202 New Member

Member:

Sound to me like you wanna live in Tennessee.

NoRcptn[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Oct 16, 2019 at 11:07 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Yer killing me Ron....noooooooo noooooooo! It’s terrible here, this should be the last place you consider. Too many people already we are full. Stay where you are. ;)
    We are still free here and want it to remain that way. :oldglory:

aperezsh likes this.
  12. Oct 16, 2019 at 11:10 AM
    HBdirtbag

HBdirtbag New Member

Member:
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 limited cm

I went from Los Angeles, to NC, back to San Francisco. NC was cool, just wasn't for me, but could be for others. I fucking hate the bay area.

13. Oct 16, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    Patriot

Patriot Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Sorry Steve nope....SAFE ACT.

14. Oct 16, 2019 at 12:27 PM
    bobwalk2002

bobwalk2002 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra SR5 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4x4
    None yet.
    Unfortunately, Prop 13 only helps you if you have been currently living in your home for a while. When you purchase a home in CA they re-calculate the tax rate based on the purchase price, ie: $600K home = approx $7,200 in annual property tax. Then you have to calculate the extremely high car reg tax, gas tax, sales tax and income tax.

15. Oct 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    duece292

duece292 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Green Bay, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 CM TRD 5.7 4X4
    This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Frank and Estelle move to Del Boca Vista :rofl:they-dont-want-us-there-so-were-going-seinfeld-theshowerhead-14577730.jpg

16. Oct 16, 2019 at 12:45 PM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    The number one city in the world that is now full of every angry New Yorker and Jersey Shore northern aggressor clogging up 26/526 and 17 day and night while bitching about the lack of deli’s and bagel shops and all da bugz and da heat and how much better their home city is. Hmmmm?

1RONMAN81 and TomC843[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Oct 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, 1Up Racks, Yakima Bars, Garbage Weston Steps
    People leaving Cali need to go to a re-education camp so they don't Cali the places they move to... See CO for details. That said, Cali needs to stay Cali! It's what make my country of Canada look sane by comparison. Although just...

18. Oct 16, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    I sure do enjoy this site, as it’s void of political banter. Each and every one of our United States should be respected as we aren’t much individually, but together we’re 50 of the most bad ass places in the world that combine to make a force the world is yet to reckon with. OP your title sucks and it’s disrespectful to those that aren’t consumed by b.s. politics.

bmcdds and SoCalTundy like this.
  19. Oct 16, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    TomC843

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    I took it more as a cost of living thing, the Tundra FB groups have a post a day of some pic showing over $4.50 for reg gas. The show Flip or Flop that I watch for some reason sells 1400sqft homes for over $600k every week. I am guessing everybody in Ca dosnt make $250k a year.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  20. Oct 16, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    Just remember who did that to California. Don’t take it to other states.

Tundra14Platinum and jewsNbrews like this.
  21. Oct 16, 2019 at 2:27 PM
    SoCalTundy

SoCalTundy Member since 2017

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    California is junk blah blah blah, yet most of your after market mods are from companies that started or are headquartered here lol.

The problem is that national media outlets try really hard to paint a terrible picture about the state. So people assume that because one dude in lingerie in California robbed a house (this was on Fox News yesterday), the whole state is like that dude. This is so far from the truth. Every state has its issues, but your issues aren’t brought to light like our issues are. For the record, I’m a conservative and I love it here. Life is good. As one commenter posted before, if you don’t like it, “bye Felicia”

22. Oct 16, 2019 at 2:33 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    The funny thing is, I bet most guys on here bashing it have never stepped foot in the state. People sure do love to be told who and what to hate these days. I remember the good old days of hating something because it actually wronged you in some way.

23. Oct 16, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    LOL! I was gonna say, we could use some independent, freedom loving Americans up here to help get this country back on track. :)

Rica25, aperezsh and Grumpy Uncle like this.
  24. Oct 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    Niceguy

Niceguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 Cement Limited
    Exactly, thank you! The state is too large to be one thing. It literally has areas that service people from all backgrounds and viewpoints. Take a drive through the Bay Area and then the State of Jefferson to see what I mean. The state is the size of half the Eastern Seaboard. To tell everyone from CA that wants to relocate to “keep your views to yourself” is just asinine. Also, I have several Fox News watching family and friends who say, over and over, year after year, that CA is going down the toilet and that they’re going to move. Guess what, they still live here. Must be something keeping them around. In fact, I know a few folks that left for other states that have admitted they miss it, despite the high cost of living. Point is, grass isn’t always greener and don’t extrapolate a few anecdotal stories to an entire population. Watching a story about something crazy in CA and assuming that applies to the whole state is like saying you saw a story about some crazy guy in FL so therefore NC is terrible. It doesn’t make sense. Okay, off my soapbox now

Edit: Yes I understand that things like state taxes and vehicle registration are ubiquitous and expensive throughout the state. But there are plenty low cost of living areas in the state. It’s just that areas like LA, OC, and the Bay Area are what make headlines. I’m just tired of the generalizing “you’re welcome to move here, just leave the crazy in CA” comments towards the OP. OP just wanted some advice, not a political diatribe. Okay now I’m off the soap box

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  25. Oct 16, 2019 at 2:53 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Telling someone they’re not welcome because of their political beliefs is about as un-american as it gets (we’re a democracy); no matter how many American flag decals you have plastered on your truck...

26. Oct 16, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    TomC843

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Question, are the $800-$1000 truck tax deals we see posted a city/county thing or is that statewide? I have been to CA, worked on a ship in the Oakland area shipyard, enjoyed my time, loved San Fran. I give two sh*t about another area's politics but the non-stop FB posts I see about the cost of everything being triple should be fair game for discussion.
    EDIT- oh yeah also went to LA/Hollywood in 2010 for the Judge Judy show but that is another story. lol

Rica25 and Niceguy[QUOTED] like this.
  27. Oct 16, 2019 at 3:14 PM
    Niceguy

Niceguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 Cement Limited
    That is definitely a fair point and yes, vehicle registration fees in CA do suck. My new 2019 I purchased in Sep had $717 in vehicle registration fees to the DMV. Now that does drop a fair amount every year. I’m basing that on the last new vehicle we purchased about 5 years ago which did drop every year. I think it does vary slightly depending on which county you live in, but I could be wrong. At least it’s a tax write off :facepalm:

28. Oct 16, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    Niceguy

Niceguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    19 Cement Limited
    I know you mentioned a few other areas as well, but it always bums me out when someone comes to CA and just visits Hollywood. I lived in SoCal for about 6 years, only went to LA / Hollywood on a few occasions, and it sounds like you understand why...

Rica25 and McMason like this.
  29. Oct 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    My bad! You are right! NC sucks! :bowdown:

Patriot[QUOTED], Rica25 and Pinay like this.
  30. Oct 16, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    NoRcptn

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    Geez you guys. The problem with written word is it's very hard to interpret inflection. I'll expand a little bit to see if that makes it more clear.

The title isn't intended to be disrespectful at all. The opening was to stem the tide of "Crazy California Politics", "expensive"," liberal snowflakes" or whatever else comments would get thrown at me and that I knew I was going to get inundated with.

Maybe read OP in another light. Imagine me IRL throwing up my hands, and saying the DMV is terrible! That's what I meant. Although, I'd probably get more love for that one.

Now my situation is MY situation only. I'm just planning for the future for my wife and kids to see if there is anywhere, outside of moving to Mexico, where we could stretch our dollar on a fixed income and still enjoy some of the things we do. Maybe there is... maybe there isn't a place. Maybe where I'm at is the best i'll get and I'll work through that when it happens.

However, if you look back through the posts. I never brought up politics and stated as much on my first post.

I was really hoping to hear what people love about their hometown. What makes it great? Maybe connect about some places with people that share common interests in some places I've never heard of. Maybe some input on the original places I was looking at.

That's really it.

I can't control the bashing or other peoples comments. I didn't call anyone out for it and am not upset about it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And in a few minutes I'll be playing ball with the kids, drinking a beer, and later on scrolling the audio video post for some learning on what system to buy from tech12volts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top