1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying Decked drawer system

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by tyr0981, Jul 2, 2024.

1. Jul 2, 2024 at 7:18 PM
    tyr0981

tyr0981 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tundra 5.7
    Head unit, sub's , components, front / back camera's, too many lights to mention, dual battery, winch / bumper, TRS projector headlights, roof nest hard-shell, integrated backup spot lights, vault, all aluminum radiator / water pump, tailgate storage, plenty of dents and scratches
    Hello anybody with a Decked drawer system on here? I'm about to pull the trigger:spending: but i have only found 2.5 & 3rd gen Tundra's with the drawers installed, anybody have one with media to share? thanks a whole bunch!

2. Jul 2, 2024 at 7:45 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    Terndrerrr and tyr0981[OP] like this.
  3. Jul 2, 2024 at 8:13 PM
    LILTRD

LILTRD New Member

Member:
    East Bay, California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB
    Hidden Winch Lighting Suspension/Air bags Wheels/Tires Audio Center Console swap
  4. Jul 2, 2024 at 8:54 PM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    I had one for a few years. Short answer: it was worth it 110%.

Longer answer: It worked great and met all my expectations as well as holding up to the MFG’s claims of weather resistance, durability, strength, etc. I had it open to the weather, then under a tonneau, then under a camper shell. Contents stayed dried in snow and rain. I threw all sorts of stuff on top of it, including a full pallet of compressed logs. It never complained.

Decked also has great customer service. Really great customer service, actually. Sometimes they take a day or two to respond, but they always treated me respectfully and politely, and did everything they could to help. I outgrew the Decked system and switched over to a full extension CargoGlide, which is also made by Decked. I had a few issues with my CargoGlide and they went WAY above and beyond to rectify the problem. I honestly didn’t demand that they ‘fix it now or else’ or have to twist anybodies arm for help; I simply presented them with the issues in a polite manner and ask for some help finding a few small parts. They jumped through hoops and went way beyond the minimum effort needed to make it right. Seriously, as a company I have not dealt with many that are better.

The product itself is pricey, but quality. And we’ll worth it, IMO. Also made in USA, which is a huge plus in my book. My only gripe was the drawer shape and amount of extension on the original Decked system. They listened to their customer base and I believe they have improved both of those with the revised version that was just released a few months ago.

Install is simple and straightforward. It helps to have an extra pair of hands for a few steps but a capable person can easily install solo. Hardware is quality and instructions easy to follow.

Now that they acquired CargoGlide a few years back, they can integrate the 1000 lb slide on to the decked system so you can stack the glide on top of the decked drawers. I found that out about a month after I got rid of the decked drawers, else I might have both in the truck.

BTW, my truck is ‘13, so Gen 2. I’m sure I’ve got some pics somewhere.

tyr0981[OP] and RobertD like this.
  5. Jul 2, 2024 at 8:54 PM
    tyr0981

tyr0981 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tundra 5.7
    Head unit, sub's , components, front / back camera's, too many lights to mention, dual battery, winch / bumper, TRS projector headlights, roof nest hard-shell, integrated backup spot lights, vault, all aluminum radiator / water pump, tailgate storage, plenty of dents and scratches
  6. Jul 4, 2024 at 7:24 AM
    tyr0981

tyr0981 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tundra 5.7
    I appreciate the feedback, i see no media in your bio good sir!

https://www.tundras.com/media/users/blenton.80740/

7. Jul 4, 2024 at 7:57 AM
    BoysandHisToys

BoysandHisToys New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited
    12” Bulletproof Lift, AFE CAI, AFE Exhaust, rock lights, Fas-Top tonneau and soft topper, Dasaita 10.2” radio, light bar, ditch lights, LED headlights and fog lights, LED interior lights, Amp Research rear bumper step, dashcam, BT ODBII reader and Torque app on radio
    I have one in my 2013 Crew Max Short Bed. I picked it up on Craigslist a couple years ago and love it. I have the FasTop traveler tonneau/soft top combo as well and all works/fits fine.

You do lose bed depth and there’s not much room with the tonneau cover on, but it’s great for organizing and keeping locked if you have those. I can’t speak for weather because of the tonneau cover.

It is pricey, which is why I went used, but if it meets your needs I’d say it’s worth the price.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
  8. Jul 4, 2024 at 9:45 AM
    tyr0981

tyr0981 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tundra 5.7
    Everyone is saying "it's pricey" but I don't see anything similar for less or even close to the same price range, if I made one out of plywood it's just hillbilly engineering... not strong or quality.

Anyone have a lesser price range, similar quality?

9. Jul 4, 2024 at 9:51 AM
    BoysandHisToys

BoysandHisToys New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited
    12” Bulletproof Lift, AFE CAI, AFE Exhaust, rock lights, Fas-Top tonneau and soft topper, Dasaita 10.2” radio, light bar, ditch lights, LED headlights and fog lights, LED interior lights, Amp Research rear bumper step, dashcam, BT ODBII reader and Torque app on radio
    Not saying it’s pricey comparing it to other options on the market. But because $1,500+ is a lot of money when storage bins will do a lot of this for most peoples needs.

lalakai and tyr0981[OP] like this.
  10. Jul 4, 2024 at 10:34 AM
    40man

40man New Member

Member:
    I think the price is more than fair in today's $. They made a lot of improvements on the new versions that just came out.

My buddy has an original, and it feels like the space could be better. I have a truck vault that sits lower but can store a lot more. However, the Truck Vault is very expensive comparatively.

tyr0981[OP] likes this.
  11. Jul 4, 2024 at 11:03 AM
    tyr0981

tyr0981 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tundra 5.7
    WHOA! Purdy!
    [​IMG]

12. Jul 4, 2024 at 11:05 AM
    40man

40man New Member

Member:
    They also have a weatherproof version which is what I run:
    upload_2024-7-4_11-4-52.png

tyr0981[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 4, 2024 at 11:55 AM
    blenton

blenton New Member

Member:
    This is true. Honestly, the full extension bed slide I have is more expensive the entire decked drawer system. And other drawer systems I've seen are $1000+ a drawer. So expensive is relative. Compared to a few home depot bins, ya, it's expensive. But so much more functional and convenient. I joke to my wife that the storage bins in the garage are just convenient totes for thieves to go shopping. So I might mislabel them on purpose.. but I digress.

I may be wrong about the truck vault, but I seem to recall seeing people having issues loading heavy gear on top of the it and either binding drawers, bending panels, or even cracking the top piece. I put a full 2000 lb pallet on the Decked system and the drawers opened up like there wasn't anything loaded on top of it. I'd agree 100% on the less optimized storage space on the 1st gen Decked drawer system. I had one of their fitted storage bins for the drawers and should have utilized them better. However, I was still able to stash a ton of junk in the drawers after reorganizing thing a little bit, so I never felt limited by it, or like I had too much stuff stacked on too much stuff to rummage through.

Also, because the top deck of the drawers is above the wheel wells, you now have a 5' x 6.5' bed floor to set things instead of the 4 x 6.5' bed floor with some awkward corners around the wheel wells. So I had plenty of storage space that was better organized. The more permanent stuff rode in the drawers and I didn't have to worry about taking it out to haul anything, or having it get wet from the weather. That is one concession I had to make with the drawer slide - it's harder to keep my gear in the truck and run to the lumber yard. I usually have to unload a few things and rearrange a few packout boxes. Whereas with the Decked system I could keep everything in the truck, out of sight, away from prying eyes (and hands with the tailgate locked) and still use the truck bed as a truck bed without worrying about breaking or damaging the drawer system.

Jackstraw and tyr0981[OP] like this.
  14. Jul 4, 2024 at 12:38 PM
    40man

40man New Member

Member:
    Not sure about older models, but the Truck Vault and Decked both have a 2000 lb top load capacity, more than the Tundra will hold, taking into account the weight of the boxes.

The rollers in the Truck Vault are underneath the drawers and go all the way front to back. Really slick, no chance of catching or binding. I've had a very heavy safe loaded on top of mine with no issues, but have not maxed out capacity. It is really well built. The Truck Vault Platform also is flat above the wheel wells and goes all the way to the edges, although you can have them custom built with slides, fridges, etc. Part of the reason they are more expensive is the customization. The side storage is fully accessible, so storing more and larger items is possible. In my opinion, the Truck Vault is a better product, but Decked provides a great value for the price. Truck Vault has had insane price increases year over year going on two years now. They were a couple grand two years ago and are close to double that now. Crazy.

Their customer service is amazing. I spoke with them multiple times over a period of weeks customizing what I wanted. And they were very supportive the entire time (I felt bad as I was going back and forth on options).

blenton[QUOTED] and tyr0981[OP] like this.
  15. Jul 4, 2024 at 1:55 PM
    AZTundraMan

AZTundraMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 Crewmax Limited, White, 4x4, Short bed.
    I have one and I love it.

tyr0981[OP] likes this.
  16. Jul 4, 2024 at 2:05 PM
    tyr0981

tyr0981 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tundra 5.7
    I really like the input everyone, any pictures or videos of good, bad, or WTF?

17. Jul 4, 2024 at 3:02 PM
    Jackstraw

Jackstraw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD Off Road
    I live in Benson and am concerned about my cordless tools, and batteries in particular, getting hot in the drawers. Do you have any idea about the heat factor?

18. Jul 4, 2024 at 3:46 PM
    AZTundraMan

AZTundraMan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 Crewmax Limited, White, 4x4, Short bed.
    1000000769.jpg PXL_20240704_222602701.jpg I haven't had any problems with the batteries at all. I'm in Phoenix.

PXL_20240704_222554794.jpg
    PXL_20240704_222546092.MP.jpg

Jackstraw and tyr0981[OP] like this.
  19. Jul 4, 2024 at 5:13 PM
    Jackstraw

Jackstraw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD Off Road
    Thank you! Phoenix is definitely hotter, so that’s good to know. Looks like you’re a tradesman, and it gets old having lock your tools inside when you run to Home Depot etc.
    Thanks again.

20. Jul 4, 2024 at 8:41 PM
    40man

40man New Member

Member:
    The side large sections come out for full access. The doors slide out almost completely out, giving easy access to everything (I understand the Decked 2.0 drawers pull out farther than gen 1.0). Check out the blue circles in the Decked pic attached, all of these areas take away a lot of otherwise usable space. The top hatches are small and leave little access.

One of the biggest things is the height difference. The Decked system comes up to the outlet plug.(see pasted pic) it is tall. Many people hate how coolers and other tall items stick out of the bed with the Decked. The height was the key differentiator for me, especially with a camper shell, the few extra inches makes a big difference getting in the bed.

I will say, because the Decked assembles, it would be much easier for one person to install. The Truck Vault is almost fully assembled (side mount pieces screw in and takes a few minutes). So if you have help to lift it in you are basically done).

upload_2024-7-4_20-38-56.png

20240704_173441.jpg
    20240704_173415.jpg
    Screenshot_20240704_203808_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240704_142327_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
  21. Jul 11, 2024 at 8:48 PM
    40man

40man New Member

Member:
    FWIW, I was speaking with the owner of the shop I purchased my camper shell from during my shell install. He is also an autohrized reseller of Decked and Truck Vaults. He said he really loves the Truck Vaults and has never had any issues reported with them from any of his customers. He also said the same thing about V1 Decked Systems. He said the V2 Decked systems are lighter, but much less sturdy. He has had a lot of issues with broken handles and other repairs. I know they had V1s at decent discounts, may be a better way to go.

Products Discussed in

To Top