1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy a 21 or wait for the 22?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jb04, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Feb 28, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 / TRD / Cement
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    Turbos being how they work are a perfect appication for diesels as the diesel power generation is mass torque at low rpm compared to gas fed engines.
    My comment was that small cubic inch gas engines need force feeding to generate decent amounts of torque / horse power.
    This will always put a reliability issue on this type of application and above all, reliability is a must for trucks that are used for their intended purpose.

2. Feb 28, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    I'm here in CA., the smog nazi state and what I'm seeing is a sharp increase in EVs with power stations going up all over the place. As this happens, the price of gas will go down, not up.
    My son even has an order in for that new cyber truck from Tesla. Don't ask me what I think about all electric trucks but, If some manufacture that we all love would come out with and electric diesel pick up, well they probably couldn't build them fast enough for this country.
    Think boys, what type of powerplant is the standard in the world for freight trains?
    Great economy / perfect power delivery. A small diesel supplying a few decent size electric motors?

3. Feb 28, 2021 at 7:03 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Gas prices are going up already. Priced one those commercial use only freight train engines several thousand hp lately? Not a great comparison to a Prius. Electricity costs will surely rise as more EV's hit the road which is happening of course. Lot's of things to factor in.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. Feb 28, 2021 at 9:05 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I feel like Musk is trolling everyone with the design of the cyber truck. "I bet these hipster millennial yokels will buy our electric truck even if we make it ridiculously ugly and impractical."

5. Feb 28, 2021 at 8:00 PM
    jb04

jb04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited double cab
    Well I found the perfect truck and pulled the trigger on it today.2019 limited 19000 miles,TRD off road,magnetic gray and all the bells and whistles I wanted.Want to say thanks to all the input from you all as it really helped make my decision.Now I can drive this for a few years and see what the 22’s and 23’s are before jumping in.Also the I agree with the guy about turbos on Cummins,they are made by Holset and super reliable.ps any suggestions on tire sizes for this truck with what looks to me to be a 2/1 leveling kit?Like to go bigger but nov fill up the wheel well and also not adverse to going to a 3/2 if needed.5EC0ABAB-9471-4C2F-955A-31F08B8181CF.jpg

batman900 and Terndrerrr like this.
  6. Feb 28, 2021 at 10:12 PM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    Congrats on the new truck! Looks great!
    It does appear to be lifted/levelled in the front. You'd probably be able to get away with a 275/70 or 285/70 with no issues, but check this thread for a general guide on what fits what.
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/largest-tire-you-can-run-stock-for-all-generations.9762/

Boerseun likes this.
  7. Feb 28, 2021 at 10:21 PM
    jb04

jb04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited double cab
    Thank you,I appreciate it.

8. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:22 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    Like comparing apples to wingnuts, doesn't make sense.
    If you look at miles / operational hours per mile, the diesel electric kills the Prius in efficiency. This thread is about trucks and effective powerplants for trucks.
    Bringing in a Prius into the convo is bizarre at best.
    For towing effectivness, electric / diesel is by far the most effective.
    I'll be waiting to see who comes out with the first Diesel / Electric hybrid for trucks, they'll seel a million of them.
    Petrol fuel whether anyone likes it or not is going to be around for a long long time.
    If someone wants to focus on carbon emissions, just focus on China and India as they product 80 percent of the world's carbon emissions.
    The US has more than met they're requirements.

MaxMB likes this.
  9. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    TRDPro21

TRDPro21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro
    I ordered a 21 Pro. I wanted the V8, proven reliability, and proven resale value of the 21. I shopped around for a couple of months, and finally had to order a Pro and pay full sticker to get it (they are in very high demand in my area, and most dealers are marking them up over MSRP if they even have one). I currently have a 19 F250 Diesel. I'm going to sell it when my Tundra arrives in a couple of weeks. I had a 17 F250 Diesel before this 19, and while I never had "major" issues out of either one, I have had 2-4k in warranty work done on each, and several recalls. I just can't justify driving them out of warranty, because even minor issues on them are expensive fixes. I'm getting the Tundra because I also have a 2015 Limited 4Runner, and in 6 years and 90k miles I have never had a single issue with it.

Black Wolf likes this.
  10. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:56 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Like I said. Lots of things to factor in. Of course diesel electric would be great for the obvious reasons. A decent gas hybrid Tundra would sell like hotcakes. Doubt Toyota will ever introduce the diesel hybrid here though. Anything is possible. The Prius is a four wheeled EV that exists. Yota doesn't sell an EV or hybrid truck here yet. What's bizarre is that there is no indication of Yota doing so in regards to a diesel hybrid. Will be interesting to see the Tundra lineup.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  11. Mar 1, 2021 at 6:57 AM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    I’m waiting for my 21 tundra pro. I don’t want the 22. Also I tried to talk wife in to keep the 4runner Pro and she could have that. She said no. She likes her smaller Acura RDX. She said the 4runner is to big. So it looks like I need to trade it if I want a tundra Pro.

TundraTeddy and Black Wolf like this.
  12. Mar 1, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    RusPro21

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Thank Thor!! I don’t have a car max close to me. When I traded my 17 4runner pro in I did the Kelly blue book to sell it that way. I had 3 dealers give me offers for it. After that I went to my local dealership where I deal and told my salesman who I bought more than one truck from. Told him what I wanted for my trade for this to happen with my 2020 AG pro. He went to his sales manager and came back with what I wanted. Basically for me it’s all about numbers and my salesman knows it. My 17 pro had 12,000 miles on it and I owned it. Just like my 2020 pro. Has less than 8000 miles on it and I own it. I don’t need to trade it in if I don’t like the tundra. I’m going to drive it and see what happens. Lol. I would try car max but I feel I’m doing really well going off what values I’m finding. Thank for the info Thor!! Appreciate!!

THOR's likes this.
  13. Mar 1, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    RusPro21

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    Hey Thor, I did check my area. Did not think there was one close. Not to close. But I think I will call them later and see if I can get some numbers.

14. Mar 1, 2021 at 10:07 AM
    RusPro21

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    I agree!!

15. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    LFOD Matt

LFOD Matt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra 1794
    I'm really glad I stumbled across this thread. I was close to trading my 2019 (my second Tundra) in on a RAM 1500 eco diesel. I should have known when the local Toyota shop was willing to give me top dollar to purchase my truck outright that I was making the wrong move. Not to mention the RAM folks made the process difficult at best.

The MPG was my original motivator. My 2019 has 51k in its first 24 months. After reading through this and several other Tundra threads, I am going to look at the MPG difference as the price I pay to have a rig that runs/tows when I need it to. My thinking now is to wait on the 2023's.

16. Mar 18, 2021 at 8:25 AM
    Pineapplehead

Pineapplehead New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    New Meadows, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White Tundra DC
    I'd wait 'til '23 as well. Even from Toyota, the first year of a major design change will have some issues. I only wish Toyota would come out with a heavy duty (3/4 or 1-ton) truck...now that would be a major design change.

Products Discussed in

To Top