1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy a 21 or wait for the 22?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jb04, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Feb 24, 2021 at 6:53 AM
    camron1039

camron1039 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camron
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Platinum
    These were my exact thoughts. I may like the new one, but I don’t want the first model year. I bought a 21 platinum over last weekend. If you want(need) it now, I’d buy a 21. They hold their value so well that when/if you want a 2023, you won’t take much of a bath on the 2021.

2. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    jb04

jb04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited double cab
    I think I’m going to order the 21 on Friday.They already told me it would be May at the earliest July at the latest so at least I’ll have one reserved.It is unreal that you can buy one of these and not lose 10000 driving off the lot let alone keeping most of their value.I wouldn’t have believed it until I started shopping for one but it is real after looking not only locally but on the internet as well and these dealers will barely budge on price.

bkdelux and Jernik like this.
  3. Feb 24, 2021 at 6:41 PM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I don't think you'll have any regrets. I'm almost a year into my '20 and don't really care what they do in '22... I like the way this Tundra drives. The 5.7 and 6spd seem to be tuned/paired better than most anything I've driven lately. It just feels "right" to me. And dated or not, I like the styling inside and out. It's still a damn nice truck.

Also, I agree with what everyone said about skipping first year production. Even Toyota can have issues. Go read a Tacoma forum and see what they said about the first year of the 3.5 v6. Yikes!

Boerseun, szabo101, BTBAKER and 6 others like this.
  4. Feb 24, 2021 at 6:50 PM
    jb04

jb04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’ve drove some used ones and loved them and they are the sharpest looking trucks hands down no matter how old the styling is and it almost looks to me that Chevy copied to some extent the body lines.Also my father-in-law bought a brand new Silverado in 2018 and the thing feels 15 years old and the interior is falling apart.Glad to hear all the people on here that love their truck,I can definitely see why the resale is so amazing.

Boerseun, Cpl_Punishment and Jernik like this.
  5. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    POWDR

POWDR New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD DC 6.5
    I had a 3/4 ton diesel prior to my 21 Tundra. I no longer needed that much rig. I went Toyota for reliability and resale. I figured I would sell the Tundra in about 5 years for a new gen Tundra if it was that appealing to me. Along with Toyota’s renowned resale, I figured the last year of the V8 would hold more value for the right buyer. There are plenty of Tundra buyers where I live. I also got the extended warranty for an excellent price which is transferrable to a new Toyota or they will buy back the remaining years at a prorated price- also added value.

The main things I miss from my diesel are the torque, overall power and better fuel economy. That thing was a beast. In return I get better reliability, a smoother ride, oh and a brand new rig.

I was thinking about waiting for the 22, but the first year of a full overhaul had me a bit nervous. Even though I believe Toyota will get it right, they are still going to swing for the fences and some bugs may come with that in the first year or two.

Just my useless .02

Boerseun, Tundra2 and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  6. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:08 PM
    jb04

jb04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree,I also will miss my diesel and will probably regret selling it someday but like you I just don’t need it anymore and as you know there is nothing on those trucks inexpensive to fix not to mention lots of busted knuckles.

7. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:11 PM
    Henry716

Henry716 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 Black 1794
    Spent the last several weeks lurking here trying to figure out whether to buy a 21 Tundra, wait for 22 or buy another brand.

I pulled the trigger on a 21 today at a dealer about an hour from my house so I had a nice drive to get aquatinted with the new truck, and did not disappoint.

The civil, but open and honest discussion on tundras.com was very helpful in making my decision, so Thank You to everyone.

Bottom line is the reliability of the existing model weighed heavily in my personal decision making process, I wanted and believe I have a truck that will answer the bell when needed, I'll gladly give up a few bells and whistles, or MPGs to get that.

IMHO the people who are reluctant to buy a new model, even from Toyota, are being wise. In the past I've bought new models and while I've never had a horrible experience, I've head more days in the shop than average. Some folks are fine with that, which is great, someone needs to work the bugs out.

8. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    POWDR

POWDR New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 TRD DC 6.5
    Exactly, even doing the work myself, the parts are pricey. Of course, anytime I did something I would have to upgrade. Diesel is so easy to squeeze more power out of and it is addicting. I have an 05 Duramax. The engine is great, but everything else was starting to go. Chevy front end...ugh!

I still have it and just cant bring myself to sell it yet. That thing screams. It has to go though. Tundy from here on out for me

9. Feb 24, 2021 at 7:26 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    I know two guys at work that bought Tundras (one a ‘15 and one a ‘17) and later traded them in to move up to “big boy trucks” (lifted 1-ton diesels to tow their massive boats). Both of them had similar stories - they got trade-in valued on their Tundras (both had done some upgrades but nothing crazy) only ~$3k under what they had paid for the trucks two years prior. That’s like having only a $125/month lease payment on truck!

I remember talking with a guy around 2014 that had just bought a 2008 exactly like mine (I bought mine in Jan ‘09). He had paid more for his SR5 DC in ‘14 with 110k on the clock than I paid for mine in ‘09 with 13k on the clock.

BTBAKER likes this.
  10. Feb 24, 2021 at 8:28 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Can't go wrong if you buy now or wait. I agree with not buying a new design. I waited a year and bought my 08, which I will be driving till the 5th generation tundra comes out:D haha.

RainMan_PNW and Tundra2 like this.
  11. Feb 24, 2021 at 8:53 PM
    RusPro21

RusPro21 Pro is gone! But I’m still here.

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Pa.
    2021 Pro!! Nitto’s Tyger blades, Arc audio!
    The 4runner is old school just like the tundra. I love my 2020 4runner pro. Everything works great with my big screen Apple car play. The only reason I’m trading for a tundra Pro my wife and I don’t need 2 SUV’s. And she is not going back to a car. So it makes sense for me to go back to a truck. So I will take the old school reliability over the 22 maybe until Toyota has all the bugs worked out. When I bought my 15 Tacoma sport I chose that over the new 3rd Gen 2016. Best move. Kept it 2 years got almost what I paid for it. Bought 17 4runner Pro did the same for 2 years and got almost what I paid for it. Now have a 2020 4runner Pro and doing the same. I believe after getting my new tundra pro when it comes in. It will be my last for a long time. I said this before new models are not always greater. I’m a Toyota and corvette guy. Have had a lot of Vettes. I bought my 19Z06 manual 2 years ago. Could have waited and got a C8. No thank you. GM is having issues with them. I bought the last front engine manual C7. Same as the Toyota the value is crazy on it. If I wanted to sell it I could sell it for more than I paid. But that’s not happening.

TelemarkTumalo likes this.
  12. Feb 24, 2021 at 8:55 PM
    Wgusler

Wgusler New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Never will understand the " first year model " thing. Bought a 2007 Tundra XSP , 280K and 14 years later driving it everyday was a flawless truck for me. 4k in total repairs and service over that time. I would buy a 22 on day one had I not just bought a pro. IMHO.

deptrai, BTBAKER and Suprafantx like this.
  13. Feb 24, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DCLB
    Round Tires
    I'd say get a 2016 or 2017 for a little less . . . transition to the truck . . . and wait for them to work out the kinks in the new model (all new models of all brands have a few things that still need to be worked out) and THEN pick up the new one once you know for sure what it's all about!

14. Feb 24, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    Doug2000

Doug2000 New Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR5 5.7L DC 4X4
    Second that

I just traded my 2019 4.6L SR5 DC for a 2017 5.7L SR5 DC. They actually gave me $3k more for the 19 than what I paid for it new. I got really good incentives. I bought the 2017 as its the last year of before TSS became standard. No sensors, no radar, I heard the new windshields are hard to get, they have that radar thing and are expensive and no one wants to stock them $$$$$. I was going to wait to see about the 2022 but the 2017 had 18,000 miles and was mint.

The TRD exhaust actually sounded better on the 4.6L.

15. Feb 25, 2021 at 12:06 AM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    I understand the hesitancy about first year models and pretty much agree with waiting one model year. Same as never buy a car built on a Monday or a Friday, look for a Wednesday build. (less important now that robots do most of the building).
    But this has me wondering what bugs or issues had to be worked out on the 2007 Tundras?
    Sure, the 2nd gen was/is a much simpler vehicle overall, and the new gen is likely to be much more "involved", but just curious if there were any model-wide issues with the first year 2nd gens?

16. Feb 25, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    jb04

jb04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well I’m going tomorrow put put my deposit down on my 21.I’m going between an SR5 Trd and a Pro if it’s available.Now that you all have helped me with deciding on waiting for a 22 or buying a 21 any thoughts on pros/cons on the Pro vs SR5 Trd?Thanks again for all the help.

TelemarkTumalo likes this.
  17. Feb 25, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    Keeping in mind that the drivetrain and 95% of the truck is the same throughout the line up, you don't gain or lose much in that area whichever model you choose. It then comes down to features and looks and what you want in a truck.
    If you wan't a complete, capable overall package without having to change much, if anything, then I'd go with the Pro. It looks great, has all the bells and whistles (except maybe heated seats, but not positive on that), and it is plenty capable of doing all the truck stuff a 1/2 ton can do, while also fairly off-road capable right off the lot, and it looks great.
    If you're planning to do any or a lot of mods, then its probably more cost effective to start with the lower model as a blank canvas, and then add what you want as you go along and make it exactly how you want it.
    If you just plan to drive it as Toyota made it and not mess with it, then in my opinion, the Limited trim strikes the best combo of features vs value. You can't go wrong with any of them, and it may come down to availability and price more than anything else, but I'm sure one will strike your fancy and you'll know it when you see it.
    Happy hunting and we want to see pics when you get her home.

Terndrerrr and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  18. Feb 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I purchased the SR5, but the Pro wasn't heard of. I said to myself my next Tundra will be a Pro. I loved modding my 08, but want something ready to roll with minimal mods. Congrats to your soon to be Pro:D

19. Feb 25, 2021 at 1:50 PM
    I_Am_Thee_Walrus

I_Am_Thee_Walrus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra TRD Off-Road

If you’re going to mod it anyway, get the SR5.

Terndrerrr and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  20. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:04 PM
    MEWaters

MEWaters New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    07 2UZFE TRD OR; previous 02 AC 323k
    Eibach pro suspension Nitro 4.88 with Auburn Pro LSD and PTFE diff bushings Level 8 MK6 18x9 SAIS bypass JBA cat back Scangauge 2 Diode dynamic fogs. LED heads Husky liners
    Turbos and cost of said turbos over the course of ownership? vs fluids, fluids, and fluids?

21. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    MrClortho

MrClortho New Member

Member:
    When I heard they were re-designing the Tundra ground up for '22, it made my decision to buy a '21 easy. The current platform is arguably the most dependable, longest lasting vehicle anywhere. It depends on what you want to use it for. For me, I plan on driving the thing for 300k+ miles basically outfitted for mild overlanding. If you want the newest tech, tow ratings, payload, etc...then wait because it sounds like the new one will be awesome. If you want a truck proven to last two decades, get the '21, and sacrifice the "improvements".

Remember when Toyota totally redesigned the Tacoma? I almost bought one the first year (maybe '14 ish?) but decided to wait to see how they were shaking out. The first few years basically ruined their reliability ratings that were set in stone before. I ended up with the last year of the JK Wrangler before its redesign, and it has been completely problem free.

22. Feb 25, 2021 at 2:56 PM
    ScenicRoute

ScenicRoute New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CM Nightshade
    Eibach stage 2, SmartCap, Ride Rite, Bora spacers, 35” rugged ridge tires.
    Where did you hear that?

23. Feb 25, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    So, Toyota’s turbo driven vehicles have been unreliable with turbos going out all the time? I’ll have to check that out.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  24. Feb 25, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    Tyman

Tyman Isaiah 41:10

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4wd MGM
    I would recommend the TRD Sport.
    Hood scoop is nice looking.
    No chrome to delete.
    Sway bars are on it.
    Mod it your way from there.

25. Feb 25, 2021 at 3:36 PM
    Taco

Taco New Member

Member:
    What will $4.00+ at the pump do to 5.7 resale ?

LennyFL, batman900 and BTBAKER like this.
  26. Feb 25, 2021 at 4:47 PM
    MEWaters

MEWaters New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    07 2UZFE TRD OR; previous 02 AC 323k
    Eibach pro suspension Nitro 4.88 with Auburn Pro LSD and PTFE diff bushings Level 8 MK6 18x9 SAIS bypass JBA cat back Scangauge 2 Diode dynamic fogs. LED heads Husky liners
    Lol you should, since that was nowhere in my post

27. Feb 25, 2021 at 5:41 PM
    jb04

jb04 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bummer just found out that the 1000.00 rebate doesn’t apply to the Pro but at least the veterans rebate does.On the fuel price question I think gas prices will come down once the economy stalls and along with it demand for gas will go down but who knows.

28. Feb 25, 2021 at 5:51 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DCLB
    Round Tires

Why do you think some of us have been waiting to buy one haha.

Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Feb 25, 2021 at 5:57 PM
    Alex261

Alex261 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Boston, Ma
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum
    I’m sure the 22 will be very nice and has a lot of the things that everyone has been asking for, but I’m sure it’s going to cost a lot more. Toyota seems to take little things away (grab handles/ backlit buttons/ to even pockets behind the front seat) in order to keep the cost as low as possible and to a certain extent I’ve always appreciated the price of their trucks compared to other brands. My platinum last year stickered for $55k. My brother has a Ram limited that was $70 and my buddy has a 70k F150. I bet the top of the line Tundras will get pretty close to that. I’m glad I bought my Tundra when I did. Absolutely no regrets!!!

30. Feb 25, 2021 at 6:07 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DCLB
    Round Tires

I’ll pick up a 2022-2024 ish...

Right around 2035-2040 when they’re a reasonable price finally haha

Lots of predicting there, I know!

Products Discussed in

To Top