1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ball joint!! Happy Friggen New Year to me!! Ugh

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Adventundra, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Jan 20, 2023 at 4:05 PM
    w666

w666 D. None of the above

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    Kinda like the Lunch Table.

2. Jan 20, 2023 at 7:15 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    It could cause issues with toe. The hole for the tie rod might not be in the exact same place. I needed an allignment after my ball joints anyway so I couldn't tell you how much of a difference it made. Probably minor though.

HBTundra likes this.
  3. Jan 20, 2023 at 7:17 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    That’s incredibly small and really wouldn’t justify a $100 alignment.

I could drive to 5 different shops around here and each one would find a need to do a toe alignment even if it was in spec. after getting it done previously at another shop.

4. Jan 21, 2023 at 1:13 AM
    RUSTYNUTS

RUSTYNUTS Diagnosed: incurable

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    sOCal
    Vehicle:
    The oldest 1st Gen
    to be continued...
    That's why I do my own alignment:anonymous:

Jack McCarthy[QUOTED] and txagg like this.
  5. Jan 21, 2023 at 6:16 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    I do down and dirty “shop alignments” after front end work. Think I’m within 25% of spec :rofl:. I use the string method from the back tires forward and Jack stands to hold it level. I take the weight off the front tires to adjust then, lower and check again. I keep the steering wheel locked at center. Works OK I guess. What’s your method?

edit: this is usually a placeholder until I can get a pro alignment done. Or maybe my 2000 that doesn’t get driven much has this as its primary alignment :anonymous:

HBTundra, RUSTYNUTS[QUOTED] and txagg like this.
  6. Jan 21, 2023 at 7:06 AM
    txagg

txagg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 TRD Tundra access cab
    Stone cold stock
    The 2000 has been driving on a grown mans alignment for about 5k miles. No vibrations at 80+, or unusual tire wear. Want to get the rear suspension fixed and am hunting a couple of sounds on the front end before I pay a "pro".

7. Jan 21, 2023 at 11:33 AM
    RUSTYNUTS

RUSTYNUTS Diagnosed: incurable

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    sOCal
    Vehicle:
    The oldest 1st Gen
    to be continued...
    I get a reference line from each wheel (not tire) and mark the ground 6 feet fore and aft of each. Then measure the distance between the two front marks, and then between the two rear marks. If you were to have the exact same measurement, that would be toe zero. This is done of course with the steering dead center
    The method I use to get said reference lines, is to source a block of some type that fits inside the outer lip of the wheel-face, and thick enough that the outer side is out past the rubber, so I can then put a straightedge pressed against it (80" Stabila) and get a true plane of the wheel itself, and transfer as a mark on the ground
    Alternatively, you can use a laser but that's next level stuff. Same concept tho. Kinda but not really.
    I've only adjusted toe, but I always check the camber because it's too simple not to.
    FWIW, the only component in the front suspension that I have not replaced is the LCA's, so I have not had to remove the cambolts. Even with aftermarket coilovers, UCA's with uniballs, LBJ's, sway links, etc. I've only had to adjust toe, and truck drives great with even tire wear.

:threadjacked:. :boink:

Products Discussed in

To Top