1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bakflip MX-4 vs Revolver X4

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by ccheezy, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Aug 26, 2020 at 2:45 PM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794

Tell us more about why your ditching the Decked system?

2. Aug 26, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    ccheezy

ccheezy [OP] New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax Limited
    "What are you hauling there son?" "ass"
    To be totally honest I used it for my golf clubs (wanted something water tight) on one side and the other side was tools and occasionally rifles. I didn’t like that I gave up so much bed space. If I played more golf or went shooting more often and worked less I probably would have kept it. It is a water tight seal, very well made, and worth every penny... if you use it. I just didn’t. A tonneau would fit my needs much better for general tossing stuff back there with decent water protection (know none of them are perfect) and then easy to keep access to the full bed for when I need to use my truck for truck stuff.

3. Aug 28, 2020 at 9:19 AM
    Heath423

Heath423 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heath
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray CM SR5 4WD
    Console tray/dividers, Interior LED's
    I'm in the market for a cover as well. Been considering the Undercover Ultra Flex, BakFlip MX4 or the RevolverX4. Enjoyed reading the comments.

4. Sep 11, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    radon222

radon222 '21 CrewMax / '18 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax TRD OffRoad
    Stock for now
    I've had the Revolver X2 on my truck for 5 years. My truck lives outside and constant direct sunlight hasn't been kind to vinyl and some of plastic around the latches has chipped up. I have a good wear spot where the cover meets the bed. Small things like that.

I recently called BAK and explained that I knew I was 3 years out of warranty but wondered if there were repair parts that I could purchase without having to buy a whole new cover. Instead of pointing me to a parts department, the rep instead asked me to send some photos & proof of purchase with a description of the issues.

I got a reply last week that BAK was replacing the whole unit and I had a production date in October. I certainly wasn’t going to complain about being low man on the priority list, I was just happy they were stepping up!

I was even happier this morning when I got shipping notification. :yes:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Toyotoholic, RitcheyRch and Bob_Wiley like this.
  5. Sep 11, 2020 at 7:10 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    My X4 hasn't held up real well. I really liked it and the simplicity of it. It still functions but after a few years in the Houston area sun the Vinyl topping is peeling from the side exposing the Aluminum. Also there are two strips of felt about 8 inches wide that run the length on the under side (guessing for protection when rolling up) that has come unglued and was hanging down until I cut it out. The vendor verified its still under warranty, took pics and sent to MFG several weeks back. No response yet, maybe a covid thing.

6. Sep 11, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    DSTundra

DSTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Platinum
    I've had my MX4 for 3 1/2 years. Going through a car wash or after a heavy rain, I get maybe a teaspoon of water leaked at each of the the back corners near the tailgate and that's it. Everything else is completely dry.

7. Sep 23, 2021 at 8:43 AM
    FRSMichael

FRSMichael New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Gray Tundra Limited CrewMax
    Are you using the OE rail system or without it for your MX4?

8. Sep 23, 2021 at 3:40 PM
    Pmac

Pmac New Member

Member:
    South of Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax TRD Off-road
    Mine is an Extang Solid Fold 2.0. Probably 3+ years of use. Leaks a little, handles a car wash fine with few leaks. Works with the bed rail system. Does not fold up against cab, but comes out in 5 min with two spring loaded levers and two hand screws. Very secure. Spare parts are easily available and reasonably priced, but have not needed any. Am considering getting two of the spring loaded locking levers just cause.

Products Discussed in

To Top