1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bakflip MX-4 vs Revolver X4

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by ccheezy, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Jul 17, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    ccheezy

ccheezy [OP] New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax Limited
    "What are you hauling there son?" "ass"
    Sell me on one, both, or neither. Just ditched the Decked and am going back to tonneau land.

Want full bed access occasionally (hence no retrax), watertightness is nice but I understand it wont be ever be perfect unless you just buy a Sequioa, would love one to work with the rail system, occasionally keep my golf clubs and/or rifles back there (neither for extended periods of time) so the hard shell is a necessity and something that would take a little more effort than snatch and grab to get into, other suggestions welcome but these two are the main ones in the crosshairs.

Also who got them deals?

2. Jul 17, 2020 at 1:59 PM
    RitcheyRch

RitcheyRch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Lowered & Supercharged Crewmax
    TRD Lowered and Supercharged
    I'd go the Revolver roll up cover to avoid having the MX-4 block my back window when the full bed is in use.

3. Jul 17, 2020 at 3:27 PM
    00PS

00PS New Member

Member:
    ::1
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red Limited Crewmax TRD 4x4
    There are enough bad reviews of the BAK revolver to keep me away. The product design and concept is awesome but the quality and lack of warranty/support is what has prevented me from pulling the trigger. Lots of info on the web but the felt will fall off, the vinyl will crack, or the paint/powdercoat on the rails will chip off. I have almost purchased this cover multiple times but just cannot commit given these issues. Their is enough hard evidence on this form and many others that I’ll keep my $900 and search for an alternative.

Skew12 likes this.
  4. Jul 17, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    TundraDrew

TundraDrew New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Hahira, GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Tundra 1794 4x4
    Bakflip Revolver X4, Nitto Ridge Grappler 275-60R20
    I have a revolver and it’s been great, great customer support too. My only issue is that the rubber seals don’t sit completely flush on the rails, but it’s not that big of a deal for me. Not sure if I would get another bakflip with their prices climbing higher in the last few years, but I don’t know what else I would go with. My buddy has a retrax and it seems well built.

5. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:17 PM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    I had a revolver. It’s cool to look at it. But doesn’t last and it sucks if you use your bed often.

Went back to a tri fold MX4 and it never will go back to a cover with the design the revolver had.

6. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:19 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Icon Rebound ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    I’ve had a revolver X2 and no issues with the company and warranty

7. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    X2, i have this also , its been fine for me.

porkitt[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:26 PM
    T-bone Tundra 63

T-bone Tundra 63 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra limited
    Backflip tri-fold bed cover Go rhino running boards
    I have the bakflip mx4. Love it. Works great with bed rail system also.

ccheezy[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:27 PM
    Jota21

Jota21 New Member

Member:
    love my mx4, but it is a little annoying that the rear window is blocked when bed is in full use. I got mine for a steal off CL, so i can't complain...

ccheezy[OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 17, 2020 at 5:40 PM
    TheTripleLindy

TheTripleLindy New Member

Member:
    I have had several of the revolvers with no issue. It's like anything else, if you just ignore it, it is not going to last as long. I wipe mine down with formula 303 every couple of washings pending my laziness and look of the cover. they are not waterproof, but i keep my golf clubs in back of truck year round without issue.

11. Jul 17, 2020 at 6:47 PM
    Cfincke

Cfincke Mall Crawler but capable

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 CM 5.7 4x4 sunset bronze
    5.29s, Auburn LSD, 37x12.50R18, Icon coilovers and shocks, SPC UCA's, Tech 12 Volts sound system, Enve Grill
    I debated on the MX4, but went with the Undercover ArmorFlex since it does not lean against the cab. I ordered thru TonneauCovered, they beat everyones price by a lot and they offer Bakflip products too

12. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    A few days late to the party but here goes: I have the MX4 and it’s terrible...

1.) It leaks very badly no matter how much I adjust. All the seams including the ones on the panel leak.

2.) A couple of pieces fell off already.

3.) Well installing the bed rail it attaches to slightly bent when tightening. This is most likely my fault but it took a significant amount of modification to get the clamps on correctly. I had three buddies holding the side rail in place. Bakflip recommends one...

4.) Bakflips customer service is nothing short of horrendous.

Clearly I am very bitter and I apologize for bringing the buzz down but I got screwed. And Bakflip has been of very little use or help...

ccheezy[OP] and twin_boys_tundra like this.
  13. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    palehorse

palehorse @grey_ghost_trdpro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD PRO
    I have a 2020 with a MX4.

It leaks. Not horrendously, but too much for a $900 cover. Both sides. If I have to have something stay dry, I would not put it in my bed.

Had a small issue, warranty rep took 32 days to respond to me and say sorry, nothing we can do. 32 days.

14. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:15 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    Agreed! I owned a G2 in the past and there was always a little water along the side rails. But this one leaks everywhere.

15. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:28 PM
    gman31

gman31 New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    MX-4=garbage. Mine leaks bad and to top it off, a screw fell out of it the other day. Upon further inspection, the threads were stripped. been having the cover approx. 2 years. Truck is garage kept, hardly driven, and never used as a work truck. Rarely carry light light objects in the bed.

16. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    porkitt

porkitt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Pro Cement
    DAP Tune ESP Storage RCI Skids Icon Rebound ABS Guards AVS Vent Visor FRAC Harness 50 Cal/Antenna X BFG KO2 HID Extra Light Bar White Knuckle Off Road Sliders BAK Industries Revolver X2 Oh Shit Handles Pop and Lock LED Internal and Reverse Lights LED Footwell lights Tuffy Storage Console organizers Viper Alarm and Remote Start
    Warranty experience with BAK is definitely a mixed bag.

I had minor issue with BAK and I contacted them directly and they asked for a Serial Number. I couldn’t provide it but, I was able to provide a receipt and that was acceptable to them. I also cc’d myself on all correspondence with them. I provided the requested images/videos once I destroyed the cover for them to give me a full NIB replacement at no cost to me.

17. Jul 29, 2020 at 10:26 AM
    13igtymer

13igtymer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 toyota tundra crewmax limited
    Ive had my x2 for 4 years now. When its time for me to get a new one i wouldnt buy another revolver. The vinly covering is cracking and the felt that is underneath the cover keeps coming off during the summer. The glue just melts off and i have to reglue it a few times a year. Ive taken care of it just like the instruction says. I spray it with vinyl cleaner and conditioner twice a month and i mostly park under the shade at home.

I have a friend that purchased the x2 the same time as i did and his is completely unusable. The 1/4 of the vinyl peeled off from the corners and the slats warped. he was unable to roll it to access the whole bed.

18. Jul 29, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    RitcheyRch

RitcheyRch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Lowered & Supercharged Crewmax
    TRD Lowered and Supercharged
    Depressing to read. I had high hopes for this cover. Makes me glad that my Truxedo Lo-Pro is still working fine.

19. Jul 29, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    TRDBro

TRDBro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro (Cement)
    @ccheezy Currently looking for a tonneau as well and have been running into a lot of terrible review for the models you're inquiring about. Not sure if you've looked into the Peragon but that might be a decent choice. The more I read reviews and different threads about tonneaus the more I lean to going with that one.

20. Jul 29, 2020 at 3:52 PM
    jalam321

jalam321 New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra CM Platinum 4x4 and Sequoia Platinum 4x4
    I've been happy with my bakflip folding cover, had it for over 5 years now.

TRDBro likes this.
  21. Jul 29, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    ZETA’S_TUNDRA

ZETA’S_TUNDRA New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 Midnight Black 4X4 TDR Sport
    Center console organizer. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K6GZRP9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share GenY Hitch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EV17J44?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Magnum Steps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010JIIRXE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Pop & Lock Tailgate lock https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LST3022?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share K&N Cold Air Intake https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZE8VRC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Plastidipped the chrome cup holder surround BAKFlip MX4 Folding tonneau cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G585GQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Mini antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NALK2FC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Replaced all non LED lights https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L45QV88?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share Added some ‘Merica valve caps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SFM8S4Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share 20% window tint all around and clear UV on the front (Formula One Stratos, UV blocking and infrared absorbing) https://northamerica.llumar.com/automotive-film/types-of-automotive-film/infrared-rejecting-window-tint/formulaone-stratos-window-tint Ceramic paint protection https://usa.gtechniq.com/products/auto/crystal-serum-ultra#content Debadged! KMC 544 Mesa Black Satin wheels - 18x9, +25 offset Nitto Ridge Grapplers - 295/70/R18 Icon Stage 2 lift kit
    I’ve got the MX4 on my 2019 CM without bed rails system and have had zero issues. When I pressure wash the truck, it is basically completely dry in the bed after. I don’t think the occasional blocking of the back window is that big of a deal, there are trade offs with any of the cover systems.

22. Jul 31, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    treetreego

treetreego New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Crewmax TSS 4x4
    295/65/20 Nitto Trail Grappler MT on Fuel Mavericks, Leveled
    Jumping in on this one. Just got my newest Tundra Monday and I'm looking at covers as well. Anyone have thoughts/opinions on the AgriCover LoMax? My two biggest wants are easy bed access when needed and security. Well as much as you can have security that is. We all know a lock is just to keep an honest man honest right? The LoMax seems like a good fit but I want to make the best decision possible when dropping around 1K on something.

Sidenote: I'll be selling my 2020 TSS wheels with tires if anybody is interested shoot me a message. I'm in MS and would drive a couple hours if need be. Thanks guys.

23. Jul 31, 2020 at 8:13 AM
    Jota21

Jota21 New Member

Member:
    has anyone been following this closely enough to determine if those who have problems are result of the bed-rails vs. non bed rails??

24. Jul 31, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    Bob_Wiley

Bob_Wiley I feel good, I feel great, I feel wonderful...

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black SR5 Crewmax 5.7 FFV
    I’ve had my MX4 for a few months now, so far so good. No deck rail system. Does it leak? Yes, not a ton but enough that I’m cognizant of what I have in the bed. Overall I like it. It does block the back window when fully open. That said, if you’re constantly hauling stuff such that you need it all the way open on a consistent basis, you may want to reconsider getting a cover at all.

I’m surprised to hear some folks have had problems with BAK customer support, mine was very positive. The cover arrived with two damaged parts (one very minor, another more serious). BAK was very quick to respond and didn’t give me crap about it. I had the necessary replacement parts within a few days.

25. Aug 1, 2020 at 8:30 PM
    gman31

gman31 New Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Good observation. I have the bed rail MX 4 and it leaks bad.

26. Aug 22, 2020 at 9:21 AM
    ccheezy

ccheezy [OP] New Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax Limited
    "What are you hauling there son?" "ass"
    Still haven’t pulled the trigger but this has been helpful. I am leaning bakflip. The paragon looks like an option as well but I’m 90% on the bakflip. Now just need to find the right deal.

27. Aug 22, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    Tundra Wookie

Tundra Wookie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 TRD Sport
    My MX4 has been flawless, I don’t have the rail system. I purchased it at a canopy store and they installed it. Mine doesn’t leak and I live where it rains all the time. I like the security of it over a soft cover.

28. Aug 22, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    Djone27

Djone27 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Crewmax TSS 4x4
    HID Headlights, full LEDs, TRD front and rear sway bars, CB +2s, Eibach Stage 2s, SABM w/ pro intake tube
    I have a 2017 no rails. Installed the MX4 almost immediately. While I do get a little water in the bed occasionally, I don't think it's bad. Only issue I've had is the adhesive for the foam bumpers needs to be replaced. That's probably due to the Texas heat though. Like another poster said, just be conscious of what you put in the bed. We take road trips all over (Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana, Colorado, etc.). Duffel bags and sensitive items go in the middle or cab part of the bed. Items that can get wet go to the outside or by tailgate. Never had more than a couple drops on anything.

29. Aug 22, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    BuilderBee

BuilderBee New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Double Cab TRD SR5
    BakFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover Stubby Antenna Husky Floor Liners
    I have a MX4 and have no issues with the exception of a small leak near the tail gate but I resolved that by putting weatherstrip between the tail gate walls, I have ran my truck through several car washes and no issues, I also armor all all the exposed seals to protect from the weather.

30. Aug 22, 2020 at 11:08 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    I haven’t used weather stripping but I also use 303 on all my seals which is similar to Armorall. I would not dream of going through a car wash. A light steady rain with drench the back of my bed. If it were just the corners I could deal with it. All the seals leak between the panels. If I were to put a paper bag in the dead center of the bed during rain, it would fall apart when I pick it up. That’s how wet it gets.

**All this is when the truck sits in the driveway**

Products Discussed in

To Top