1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad Engine Bearing

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by zorro, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Apr 14, 2023 at 3:34 PM
    zorro

zorro [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    Well at about 19,000 miles , engine got bad noise. Stopped truck immediately. Mechanic said metal shavings in oil. Bad bearing. It is under warranty , parts ordered by dealership. This sounds like a bad engine, and i dont trust it. Should i trade it away after fixed?

2. Apr 14, 2023 at 3:37 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
  3. Apr 14, 2023 at 4:18 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    I would hope they would get a new short block from Toyota rather than repair the original. Toyota does supply new short blocks (no long blocks) for many of their engines, hopefully they will have these available for yours.

Dan

4. Apr 14, 2023 at 4:36 PM
    Mr Badwrench

Mr Badwrench New Member

Member:
    I hate to be negative here, but I've had a bad experience with a new engine being rebuilt by a dealership "mechanic".

I had a vehicle that was producing light smoke and it would not pass emissions. The piston ring gaps were aligned on at least one cylinder and the engine had to be torn apart. The experience got bad from there. I got the vehicle back and shortly after, it spun a rod bearing causing the engine to sound like a jack hammer. It went back again to be torn apart. I got the vehicle back and the engine leaked oil everywhere and at that point, I was done with it. I basically had to give the vehicle away after that because I could not sell it with a clear conscience telling the buyer it was reliable.

I would trade it back to them and strong arm them on trade in value. Or, take it to another dealership and tell them nothing about what happened and let it become their problem.

zorro[OP] and AZBoatHauler like this.
  5. Apr 14, 2023 at 5:29 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Get rid of it, buy something else.

Gen 3 Tundra doesn’t seem to live up to the reputation of a Toyota for far too many buyers.

6. Apr 14, 2023 at 6:55 PM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    I’m wondering if and when Toyota will address this publicly. I think Facebook generally has a lot more users of tundra owners on the various pages and I’ve got screenshots of somewhere approaching 20 failed engines on the various pages. It’s odd because so many make it to 20-40k miles before the issue pops up. Many newer trucks don’t have anywhere near that many miles yet.

zorro[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 14, 2023 at 9:11 PM
    PERRY1060

PERRY1060 Hammer Down

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Blk on Blk 22 Ltd 4x4
    TRD wheels, skid plate, black fender flares, mud flaps and running boards. Pirelli Scorpion 275/70/20 Allterrain Plus tires
    I wish we knew the accurate number of failures. I don’t know how many Tundras have been produced since 2022 but It would be helpful to know the percent failure of total units built. Then compare it to Ford’s cam phaser failures and GM’s engine and trans failure percentage. It just sucks to have any failures at all but that is not reality.

I know Toyota will stand behind these failures but I really wish they put complete new long block motors in them. Metal shaving circulating through a motor increases the risk of future failures. Im sure they do their best to clean all the oil passages during rebuild but it doesn’t take long for the metal shavings to damage other bearings prior to the total failure and eventual short block rebuild. Hope you are reading this Toyota.

KClav and zorro[OP] like this.
  8. Apr 14, 2023 at 9:33 PM
    iiawah808

iiawah808 New Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2022 iForce Tundra Limited TRD Offroad
    Currently Searching....
    Thank you

zorro[OP] and 1lowlife like this.
  9. Apr 14, 2023 at 9:46 PM
    Tundrafarm

Tundrafarm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 hybrid limited 4x4
    Here is another one on Instagram a guy who works on a Toyota dealership and is working on a 2023 tundra with a bad main bearing.

3C1FDC1C-F0FB-4684-A5F9-6CFF329A7554.jpg

zorro[OP], mayan and ryanwgregg like this.
  10. Apr 14, 2023 at 9:46 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    Every day there is another thread about a Gen 3 issue/problem.
    I plan to keep my 2014 for several more years, but unless Toyota gets its shit together, I'll be looking elsewhere for my next pickup....

Good luck to you @zorro and welcome to the forum.
    I'd buy a used 2021 before buying a new Gen 3..:(

11. Apr 14, 2023 at 9:48 PM
    Tundrafarm

Tundrafarm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 hybrid limited 4x4
    Closer screenshot

F0A872F6-5680-46DE-BA60-217FEABAF79F.jpg

zorro[OP], mayan and Mr Badwrench like this.
  12. Apr 14, 2023 at 9:53 PM
    Tundrafarm

Tundrafarm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 hybrid limited 4x4
    The other side

6AC3A2E6-B93D-42BD-8989-57BC69A6D96F.jpg

Tundrastruck91, zorro[OP] and mayan like this.
  13. Apr 15, 2023 at 2:43 AM
    TopTierToyo

TopTierToyo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Tundra 4x4 Limited
    Sorry to hear that OP. Seems like we made it through turbo failures, and now onto total engine and transmission failures.

Do you mind sharing your build date? The ones posted here seemed to happen on similar build dates. I can't speak for the instagram and facebook posts though

zorro[OP] likes this.
  14. Apr 15, 2023 at 4:14 AM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    At mileages this low a 10K OCI vs a 5K OCI shouldn’t be making a difference. That kind of service interval difference should show results for long term owners past say 150K miles, maybe sooner on a turbo engine but not in under 50K miles. Plus a difference in OCI shouldn’t manifest in spun main bearings as the first sign of trouble. An engine that is neglected with overly long OCI’s will probably start consuming oil before anything else as the oil control ring and other piston rings coke up and no longer make a good seal.

Same for 0W-20 vs 5W-20, or 0W-30 etc. A look at oil film shear strength between those weights as well as viscosity at operating temps, they’re not as drastically different as we all might think. Maybe past 100K miles you would see a difference, probably with indifferent maintenance, but not under 50K.

If those assumptions are wrong, and the engine is on the bleeding edge of reliability vs catastrophic failure due to oil breakdown due to 5K vs 10K OCI, or a slight difference in oil film shear strength or viscosity; then the engine has no place in a mass production vehicle.

Being a truck engine, and not a high strung race engine I have to assume there is plenty of safety margin built in to allow for somewhat varied oil viscosity, and additive package breakdown over a 10K OCI.

Spun main bearings are usually either bad bearings that are materially out of spec, or an oiling issue where oil is not reaching the bearing surface. There is a slim possibility that the engine is so unbalanced that the crankshaft at one end is flexing and hammering the dog piss out of the bearing (usually the very front or rear most bearing). If it’s that out of balance though I can’t imagine the driver wouldn’t notice it, but maybe the motor mounts soak up vibrations so well a guy might not.

I still suspect a bad batch of main bearings, or flawed block castings with obstructed oil passages.

Either way some pretty unacceptable QC/QA these days.

texasrho83, j-utah, KClav and 14 others like this.
  15. Apr 15, 2023 at 4:38 AM
    TheBrit

TheBrit Wrinkly member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Tundra 2WD stuckinthemud
    I have in my time opened quite a few engines - mostly machines built pre-85 thanks to ever improving techniques meaning it's not something that one usually has to concern oneself with nowadays, motorcycles being the most common due to the much higher stress factors involved.

The thing I find crazy about that pic isn't so much the damaged shell but the fact that the other three look as one would expect for a low mileage engine. Usually when you open up an engine if you are going to see one wrecked shell you'll be seeing all wrecked shells. Oil starvation across the board wasn't too uncommon back then but to my eye that looks suspiciously like you have a tolerance issue. Either way, with the way stuff is machined today if you have either oil or tolerance issues then it's almost certain that so do x number of other blocks or cranks that were produced in that same run

KClav, Sumo91, in_the_mud and 2 others like this.
  16. Apr 15, 2023 at 4:42 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 DC 6.5 bed Lunar Rock, TRD OR +Options
    None
    Yes, repeatability is both the beauty and the curse of modern manufacturing. Also, why these forums are valuable.

ChucklesToy, Sumo91 and Mattedfred like this.
  17. Apr 15, 2023 at 5:41 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    On a 2023? Crap. I was hoping this was an early batch of bad bearings.

Mitch09, BTBAKER and hagrid like this.
  18. Apr 15, 2023 at 6:57 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    Maybe get CarShield! ;-) Or better yet one of those discounted 10-year Toyota plans here on the forum.

ChucklesToy and Tundrastruck91 like this.
  19. Apr 15, 2023 at 6:59 AM
    Sr5yota

Sr5yota New Member

Member:
    Word in the field from my source is that the failures stem from debris from manufacturing. Lodged debris frees up and then restricts the oil passage. If debris is lodged, it can free up at any time, essentially creating a ticking time bomb. The bright side, if there have been 500 failures (probably not) it’s still only a half of a percent. But who knows the actual statistics.

Henry1jg and zorro[OP] like this.
  20. Apr 15, 2023 at 7:08 AM
    raylo

raylo not so new member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    None
    And, hopefully, in most cases it should get filtered out before it can plug anything up.

Jamesausman and zorro[OP] like this.
  21. Apr 15, 2023 at 8:14 AM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    Toyota recalled the first run of 5.7 engines with the bad camshaft castings after 20 failures which I think mostly failed out of the gate. I’m curious how the handling of this scenario would relate. An engine no matter how it failed, or at what mileage it fails is still a safety concern while driving. How many is recall worthy I guess is my question.

zorro[OP] likes this.
  22. Apr 15, 2023 at 8:21 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    problem is, the others one are not better . I thought the same thing when the gen 3 first came out and the turbo thing was going . So I said the same thing, ok time to look elsewhere.

the ford didn’t even make it through the test drive without breaking down.

grass isn’t always greener. It came down to i trust Toyota to fix shit and stand behind things way more than the others

woods, Ruggybuggy, in_the_mud and 5 others like this.
  23. Apr 15, 2023 at 10:01 AM
    Sr5yota

Sr5yota New Member

Member:
    Agreed. Our dodge/jeep/ram shop is always full of major repairs, whereas at Toyota, it’s mostly maintenance at 3x the capacity. Our techs that came from chevy were amazed how many fewer problems Toyotas have. But they still have their issues.

24. Apr 15, 2023 at 12:58 PM
    4mm

4mm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sequoia
    Would you consider buying another 3rd gen. Tundra?

Tundrastruck91 likes this.
  25. Apr 15, 2023 at 1:28 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I noticed that too. The other bearings look totally normal. Not what you would see if all the oil was breaking down, or all the bearings were defective or parts were dimensionally incorrect.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  26. Apr 15, 2023 at 1:33 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I am guessing Toyota would step up on this for you should it occur. There are enough of these reports that it is concerning to me, but I’ve developed an admitted bias against the 3rd Gen and how Toyota has handled early problems when trucks have been sidelined.

As pointed out by others if this were considered as a percentage of trucks in service, it’s not a huge problem for the vast majority of owners.

27. Apr 15, 2023 at 5:19 PM
    NickyF25

NickyF25 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum 4x4 Silver Sky-Sold
    Know owners well of our local Toyota dealership and trust me, Toyota isn’t much better with their current trucks. We can all cherry pick bad stories of every brand.

BTBAKER likes this.
  28. Apr 15, 2023 at 5:43 PM
    SWB Tundra

SWB Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    Cenral Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited 4x4 CM Hybrid
    Might have had trash on that bearing if rest were good.

29. Apr 15, 2023 at 6:04 PM
    TheBrit

TheBrit Wrinkly member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Tundra 2WD stuckinthemud
    Would anyone be surprised if the reason for so much shoddy product could be as simple as the manufacturers no longer giving a monkeys about ICE vehicles? They know their days are numbered, tooling up for electric will make a huge dent in their bottom line, from their point of view better to get the electric running properly and hope to lean on the glory days past for repeat business than put valuable R&D into a vehicle that will be obsolete in ten years (if hype is to be believed). Obviously you have to put enough in to keep up with the hordes baying for more electronic whizz-bangs but do you really want to go all in, after all if you want to be number 1 you don't need to be perfect you just need to be slightly better than the competition.
    People tend to forget fairly quickly short term hiccups, you only have to look at the Datsun example - a reasonable looking stable, for the time, reliable, for the time, but you only had to sneeze on them and the blasted things would rust through. Sort out the rust issues, brush the Datsun name under the carpet and call yourself Nissan and hey presto...

30. Apr 15, 2023 at 6:20 PM
    mlive

mlive New Member

Member:
    South Central, PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra DC 6.5
    So this goes back to the wonderful debate of how soon should one change the oil for the first time...500 miles? 1k? 2k? Etc?
    Would this even help is the next question...

Raging Iron Thunder likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top