1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto start/stop, do you leave it on or disable it?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by SnowRunnerTundra, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Jan 11, 2022 at 6:56 AM
    Toyota1234

Toyota1234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    None of those turn over an engine. They just Engage.

2. Jan 12, 2022 at 7:16 AM
    RoddersLV

RoddersLV New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra DOA
    Here’s my “one man’s opinion” of this feature as it relates to the Tundra. Due to the necessity of depressing the brake deeper into its travel to actuate the SS feature, I didn’t even realize it existed for several days. I apparently soft brake at stops and the first time it did it was when I was stopped at a light and was reaching back into the back seat area to grab something and did my normal “crush that brake pedal you idiot” before contorting myself into a 6’3” pretzel. I thought I’d somehow turned the truck off.
    Took a moment to realize what it was/I did. I’ve since realized, for me, it’s an unnatural act to depress that brake peddle deeper (that’s what she said) and I’ve essentially ignored it. In addition, and many have pointed it out, it probably won’t even engage during the summer months here in the desert southwest due to cabin temperature demands on the AC.
    Lastly, there’s always someone in this group who will figure out how to permanently disengage it.

Dagwood likes this.
  3. Jan 12, 2022 at 8:04 AM
    wired

wired New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Black SR5
    I had it on my 2018 Rubicon and it was annoying, shutting off the engine at every stop. Seems everyone got a Tazer or some other plug in to defeat it. Apparently on the Jeep it wouldn't engage if the hood was up so a lot of people used that sensor to keep it off. I have found the one on this 2022 Tundra (I have SR5) to be much less sensitive. I can come to a stop at lights or stop signs without engaging the system. You really have to apply 'extra' pressure on the brake at a stop to engage it. Only time I engaged is was in a drive-thru when I was pushing down on the brake as I was straightening my leg to get my wallet out of my pocket. I do wonder if some are more sensitive than others and if it is adjustable.

Dagwood likes this.
  4. Jan 12, 2022 at 9:19 AM
    tacomaniac

tacomaniac New Member

Member:
    Does anyone know if the Tundra implementation has a secondary auxiliary battery to support the feature? I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee which I disabled every time I started the car and I encountered battery fault messages every few months. Each time, the auxiliary battery (stupidly located underneath the passenger seat) had went bad or had a charging issue. The last time it occurred, the dealer blamed it on me for not utilizing the start stop feature lol. I'm hoping there is no aux battery to worry about on the trucks.

5. Jan 12, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Member:
    I have had a message pop up on the small display saying the engine stop is disabled because of "battery charging". That was in -20 (-5F) weather. I think it's only the one 12v Battery on the non-hybrid.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  6. Jan 12, 2022 at 11:48 AM
    raylo

raylo New Member

Member:
    Frederik, MD
    That actually sounds fairly useful and user friendly. Around here there are some horrible intersections with absurd wait times if you catch the cycle wrong. That would be a good time to shut 'er down.

Products Discussed in

To Top