1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Detailer

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by T-Rex266, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Sep 21, 2020 at 5:24 AM
    ToyoMafia

ToyoMafia SSEM #15-3MW-RGBA#?-@toyomafiaworld Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Nice I’ll take ya up on that. Just a small tester would be cool. I know I’ll like it shine supply is top notch

Rica25 and War Machine[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Sep 21, 2020 at 6:08 AM
    bradleykd

bradleykd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited-BLACK
    Alright detailers.

Last time I asked a question in this thread I wasn't committed enough to break out the polisher, so I just Iron-x, clay bar, washed, and beadmaker'd my truck. This didn't help what I was trying to fix which was a light haze left from using an eraser wheel to remove my emblems. It isn't burnt clear coat, just scratching on the black truck. You can only see it at certain times of day.

I'm taking a couple of days off work soon with the goal of polishing the truck. Now I just need to figure out what I will use.

I have a Porter Cable DA polisher.

I was thinking of using CarPro Essence as the polish. I saw some youtube videos that said this may be a one pass solution to some light scratching/swirls. Do you agree?

I was thinking of using the Lake Country CCS Orange pad to apply the Essence. Do you agree?

I would love to do it in one pass, but if I am committing to this, I'll do two if I have to. Can I do spots of a heavier compound if the essence doesn't get the haze off of the bad spots, or do I have to do a full panel/side/truck?

Planning on finishing with BeadMaker, but I have a bottle of Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax that I could put on with a wax application pad if that is more reccommended.

HELP! :D

3. Sep 21, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    Limited experience with Essence, but my expectation is that combo will work fine. Both Beadmaker and Butter Wet Wax will last about the same amount of time......2-3 weeks if you're lucky. I'd be a lot more inclined to apply Griots Ceramic 3 in 1 rather than either of those two products. It will not give you the slickness or gloss of Beadmaker, but will definitely last a lot longer for the same level of effort. Once cured,you can always apply BM and get that slickness it's famous for.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  4. Sep 21, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Essense itself will give you great gloss and sickness. It also contains sio2 so its a legitimate sealant that will last months. I would top with a silica based sealant if you want to layer it

ToyoMafia likes this.
  5. Sep 21, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, 1Up Racks, Yakima Bars, Garbage Weston Steps
    I'd try some shine supply but shipping to Canada is just too much money.

Cerakote is on my list after my DLux runs out (that's what I replaced Pearl with for ourside plastic)

I have some time to figure out what I'll use next on interiors as I still have lots of pearl.

And as usual, all of the suggestions from you all are appreciated.

ToyoMafia and Fotnot like this.
  6. Sep 21, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    bradleykd

bradleykd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited-BLACK
    So you're saying that if I use Essense, I don't even have to use the Beadmaker, or anything else, after? Just buff it off with microfiber?

Pudge[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 21, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Hey Jason. How has the dlux done for you on the exterior. I have both cerakote and dlux and next full clean up on the truck I’m using one of them on the blacks. I’ve used dlux on wheels and cerakote on the fj steps so far. Just wondering the life span on dlux.

8. Sep 21, 2020 at 10:20 AM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, 1Up Racks, Yakima Bars, Garbage Weston Steps
    So far so good but we haven't had a lot of rain and my truck is now dusty. I'm planning on doing a good look after I have the chance to wash it. The last two washes it's been perfect but even a mediocre coating should last two washes...

It has a very nice dark mid-satin finish to it that is marginally shiny but not too glossy. It looks more clean and new than the old armour all look. Which is good.

ToyoMafia[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 21, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Thank u. Cerakote is really good on durability so I think I may go that route. I’m looking for a long tirm solution. Trim shield by Shine lasts a couple washes as well and it’s been my go to so far. I bought dlux for the wheels when I got them new and it has preformed well but if it fails anytime soon I’ll be disappointed because it’s a lot of work to coat wheels.

War Machine and jpod[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Sep 21, 2020 at 1:33 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    ToyoMafia likes this.
  11. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:53 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I’ve only done a few test spots with DLux, but my impression is that Cerakote will last longer.

12. Sep 23, 2020 at 8:33 AM
    itsmerh85

itsmerh85 New Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRDPro
    I'm wanting to do a decon and remove whatever waxes or substances are on the truck from a few drive-thru car washes. What's the best way to remove it? Wash with Purple Power?

13. Sep 23, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    Bust

Bust New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shean
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    Purple power will strip a lot of waxes and sealants, if you want a full decon and clear paint, ironx and clay will ensure there are no contaminants

14. Sep 23, 2020 at 1:25 PM
    itsmerh85

itsmerh85 New Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRDPro
    yeah I'll be doing those, as well. I assumed I needed to use purple power first, then iron x and clay. If i'm doing those two things can I just skip the purple power then?

15. Sep 23, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Those two will take everything off. No need for anything else. Wash it, use iron x and clay, wash again, then apply a sealant or wax.

ToyoMafia and itsmerh85[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Sep 23, 2020 at 1:40 PM
    itsmerh85

itsmerh85 New Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black TRDPro
    perfect, saves me a couple bucks to 'justify' another purchase

:spending:

War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Sep 27, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    YotaFan05

YotaFan05 New Member

Member:
    NE OH
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax
    What's a good spray on and rinse wheel cleaner? Something that'll loosen the brake dust up. I've used Sonax wheel cleaner and really like it, but it's a bit pricey.

18. Sep 27, 2020 at 9:20 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Sonax is great. Brake buster is what I typically use it’s just about as good and a lot less expensive by the gallon which you can always get on sale through one of the top detail suppliers we always recommend here.

YotaFan05[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Sep 27, 2020 at 7:33 PM
    YotaFan05

YotaFan05 New Member

Member:
    NE OH
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax
    Before winter, I want to do one last detail on the truck. I've been a big fan of the blackfire aio after a claybar, so I will do that. What can I top it with that will give me good winter protection for a good 4-5 months. Would Griot's 3-1 work? I have wolfgang deep gloss sealant on hand, but contemplating trying something new.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  20. Sep 28, 2020 at 4:45 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    3-in-1 will definitely work. I got 5 months through the Texas summer, so it should make it through the winter no problem. Other than that, the only long lasting sealant I have enough experience to recommend is Jescar Powerlock. I believe @Pudge used that before the winter last year, so he can give you first hand experience. He’s in the northeast so he definitely knows what the best practices are for that type of environment.

21. Sep 28, 2020 at 6:00 AM
    YotaFan05

YotaFan05 New Member

Member:
    NE OH
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tundra Crewmax
    Thanks! I am anxious to try the 3-1.

I've got a bottle of the turtle wax hybrid ceramic wet wax. You use it as you're drying your car after washing. That's different than the 3-1 right? I take it that it's more of a spray ceramic maintainer after washes....like you would use a spray wax. Not really for a long term protection vs the 3-1 that adds the sealant protection.

Rica25 and ToyoMafia like this.
  22. Sep 28, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Powerlock definitely is amazing and worked through winter for a rarely driven but stored outside truck. It's one of the best sealants I have used for sure. I assume 3 in 1 will do just as well from what i have read but can't make a claim based off experience

23. Sep 28, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    Rica25

Rica25 Got Bam? IG ......@TNDRA08

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White Tundra/14 Cement FJ
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
    I handed down my mom a 2005 Camry SE V6 we bought since it had 12 miles. Has been a great vehicle. No issues since day one. Now the paint seem to have absolutely no shine to it. How can I revive it. For the past few months on weekends or when I feel like it I've been doing some detailing jobs so I have certain products. But I really need some help for this one. Paint looks very bad.

ToyoMafia likes this.
  24. Sep 28, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Let's see some pictures of the paint if you can. I'd try an all in ine first, something with fillers maybe. Carpro Essense may be a good choice, it'll polish, fill, and leave several months of Sio2 protection

25. Sep 28, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    Rica25

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    TRD sway bar...addictive audio sub woofer.....Volant intake.....Black Rhino Glamis wheels....Billstein adjustable shocks
  26. Sep 28, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    I see a little shine on that paint still you should have no issues getting this back in shape with a good aio and the right pads. I’ve been using 3d one with great results. Just make sure you do it in a garage early or late in the day.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Rica25[QUOTED] and War Machine like this.
  27. Sep 28, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    @Pudge and @Swfltoyomafia are on the right track here. Only thing I’d add is to try a paint decontamination with IronX and a clay bar / mitt first. You’ll probably see a good bit of improvement from that alone. It’s a good idea to do that before polishing anyway.

Pudge, Rica25[QUOTED] and ToyoMafia like this.
  28. Sep 28, 2020 at 8:42 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    It’s a different approach to the same goal. I haven’t used the Turtle Wax, but have used a similar product by Meguair’s. It worked well, but didn’t last long enough to be noteworthy, so your comment is spot on.
    3-in-1 does go on like a spray wax. Definitely a much longer lasting product than a spray wax though.

29. Sep 28, 2020 at 8:58 AM
    ToyoMafia

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magic carpet.
    Cool slaps and plastiDip
    Ricardo let us know what you have on the shelf. No need to buy a bunch of stuff if you already have something similar. I know you have gotten into detailing rides for the family. I absolutely agree with @War Machine a good decon is the way to a great finish. When we cut out steps it effects the end results. I will say nothing beats ironX when it comes to decon. I like using griots synthetic clay and speed for that process and both are available at autozone.

Rica25[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Sep 28, 2020 at 9:32 AM
    Rica25

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricardo
    Tulare
    Vehicle:
    I have the clay mit and clay bars. Also have 3m compound and VSS from chemical guys. Griots compounds as well as sealants. Then recently purchased Beadmaker

Products Discussed in

To Top