1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Detailer

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by T-Rex266, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Dec 26, 2019 at 6:45 PM
    robz

robz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum 2WD
    Full interior LED lights. Bed cover. OEM LED Headlights and Fog lights
    It kind of resembles the same functionality and purpose of products like Gyeon CanCoat, Carpro Cquartz Lite and TAC systems Moonlight

2. Dec 27, 2019 at 4:54 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    Wow...three more.

I have some of the Zaino Z-CS left. If you guys think Optimum Opti-seal is best or Gyeon CanCoat, Carpro Cquartz Lite and TAC systems Moonlight let me know. Pick ONE.

What I can do is order a bottle. The in April (or May if the weather is too cool) wax my car and boat. Then spray half with Zaino Z-CS and half with one of the above. The boat is a MUCH harsher environment and the car may take months to show how long they last. I can follow up with results.

3. Dec 27, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    BTW: This is my Corolla XRS prep before the sealant. I wax the car with Z-AIO All-in-One. This is a cleaner wax and does not layer. So only one coat is applied. Then, as per Zaino, Z-5 PRO Show Car Polish (the XRS is 2005 and has swirls and scratches) and I add ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator. After this, I seal. For the boat I use Z-AIO All-in-One and after its clean, Collinite fleet paste wax 885 wax, then seal. Either way, when you split the project in half, it should be a fair test.

4. Dec 27, 2019 at 5:19 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I don't know of any sealant that is designed to or supposed to go over a wax. You want clean paint under a sealant so it can bond to the surface. I don't think a sealant would bond well to a wax

5. Dec 27, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    I'll call Zaino and ask if it matters.

6. Dec 27, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    From the website. There was nobody to take a call today. However I found this:

https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-CS.html

I am a dedicated Zaino user. How will I incorporate Z-CS into my current vehicle protectant maintenance using my other Zaino products? You can:
    Use Z-CS by itself, without any other product or
    Use Z-CS to top and extend the durability of a single coat of Z-2 or Z-5 PRO or
    Use Z-CS as a base for Z-2 or Z-5 PRO, then follow up with a final application of Z-CS or
    Use Z-CS to top multiple layers of ZFX enabled Z-2 or Z-5 PRO or
    Use Z-CS to top layers of Z-2 or Z-5 PRO (without ZFX, curing can take 8 hours between coats).

So it can be used as Pudge mentioned or with wax / Polishes.

And there was this:

Can Z-CS be used over another manufacturer's product?

Sure. While results may vary, we are aware that some beta testers used Z-CS over fully cured wax products with excellent results. Z-CS did increase gloss and durability over other manufacturer products. If you'd like to experiment yourself, make sure the product that you're applying Z-CS to has fully cured. As a general rule however, you should not apply Z-CS while any other manufacturer's product is not fully cured. We cannot offer other manufacturer specific cure times, but generally it can take 8-12 hours after application. Z-CS was designed and engineered for use with Zaino Show Car Polish Products.

7. Jan 1, 2020 at 6:11 PM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR5
    Trying to figure out if I should get a 5" backing plate and go with 5.5" pads or just stick with 6". I'm guessing the 5" allows for following contours better than a 6".

What do most here go with 5 or 6? Is there really a need for both?

8. Jan 1, 2020 at 6:44 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I would go with one or the other. Pads get expensive. The 5 tends to correct a little better and put less stress on the machine. I have used both 5 and 6 and honestly couldn't feel a difference at all but to me the 5 worked better and was faster because if it.

9. Jan 2, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR5
    I'll likely get a 5" plate then and 5.5" pads as they are cheaper.:thumbsup: I'll only be doing my truck so speed isn't a big deal to me either.

Brownsfanhere and Pudge like this.
  10. Jan 6, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    5" backing plate and 5.5" pads.....I'm a big fan of the Griots BOSS pads

sask3m likes this.
  11. Jan 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    sask3m

sask3m New Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR5
    I might get a couple 6.5" pads as well to practice with. :eek:

12. Jan 9, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    phogallen

phogallen My Last Mid-Life Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 Fusion Edition
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed. Thew the OPT 7 tailgate light in the trash and replaced with Putco Blade
    OK folks...not sure if this is detailing question but thought I would give it shot. As some of you know I removed my 1794 badges and had them custom painted. I only returned one to the tailgate. When I went in for an oil change this morning it looked crooked so i checked and it pretty much came right off. Really glad I didn't donate this to the interstate gods. My question is the tape the guy used who painted them is inadequate so I'm looking for something that is closer to original holding power. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3630.jpg

13. Jan 9, 2020 at 10:54 AM
    jason.bird

jason.bird New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Idaho Falls, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota Tundra SR5 Sport
    I would use and have used 3M double sided tape. Shit is strong.

https://www.hillas.com/Categories/I...OuCiwzdNZJZzlzO_xe9Vgwje9i2qXfUBoCF-0QAvD_BwE

Brownsfanhere and Fotnot like this.
  14. Jan 9, 2020 at 12:57 PM
    phogallen

phogallen My Last Mid-Life Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 Fusion Edition
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed. Thew the OPT 7 tailgate light in the trash and replaced with Putco Blade
    Thanks much

15. Jan 9, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
  16. Jan 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    Glockmeister

Glockmeister New Member

Member:
    In the summer hell
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Crewmax SR5 4X4 TRD
    Do I have to keep Iron-X off the trim or no big deal?

Getting ready to go over the wife’s X-Terra (which is trashed so, good practice). Her faded plastic and rubber won’t be affected anymore than it already is but more concerned about the Tundra trim.

17. Jan 14, 2020 at 10:11 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    No worries with getting it on trim or glass that I know of

18. Jan 14, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    War Machine

War Machine Super Secret Elite Member #5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Crewmax SR5 Blaaaack
    I haven’t had any issues, and I don’t take any precautions to keep it off of the plastic.

19. Jan 14, 2020 at 10:40 AM
    jpod

jpod its Finally here

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey
    Diamondback HD, Weston HDX Steps
    How about brake calipers? The site I ordered from said avoid that. Anything to it?

20. Jan 14, 2020 at 1:22 PM
    Glockmeister

Glockmeister New Member

Member:
    In the summer hell
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Crewmax SR5 4X4 TRD
    Thx Sean & Jason.
    I figured it wouldn’t be an issue otherwise there would have been plenty said earlier. Just making sure.

War Machine and Pudge like this.
  21. Jan 15, 2020 at 4:46 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I’ve seen the same warning, but I know a lot of people use it to clean their wheels. I don’t know how that can be avoided if people are doing that. I’ve used it a few times on wheels, and have seen no I’ll effects. A lot of dedicated wheel cleaners have the same chemicals in them. As a matter of fact, a lot of people use wheel cleaner in place of iron x to decontaminate their paint.

I don’t want to go so far as to say that the warning should be ignored, but I personally haven’t seen it cause any harm, nor have I heard of anyone else who has. The only problem I’ve ever had with Iron X is from me not rinsing it off quickly enough when it was hot outside. It left some streaks, that wouldn’t wipe off. Since I was claying anyway, it took them right off.

jpod likes this.
  22. Jan 15, 2020 at 4:48 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    No problem. Like I said in the previous post, if it dries on there it will will take a clay bar to get off. Other than that I’ve experienced no issues with the product at all. That’s not to say it’s not possible, I just haven’t had a problem.
    Honestly there’s really no way to keep it from getting on the plastic. Even if you taped it off it would soak through.

jpod likes this.
  23. Jan 16, 2020 at 3:35 PM
    ryanryan34

ryanryan34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    El Paso TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Tundra SR5 TSS
    Carven Cat-Back, Rough Country Heavy Duty Front and Rear Bumpers with grill insert, K&N Air Filter
    Need some help getting my wheels clean, this is the worst of the 4. I don't know what caused it ( I do not use tire shine on my tires and the wheels are smooth to the touch, can't feel any build up). I have attempted to get them clean with Chemical Guys wheel cleaner and saw no change. Really appreciate any help.

IMG_20200116_163054.jpg

24. Jan 16, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    throughitalldude

throughitalldude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    3.5" Maxtrac Spindle | 1" Shackle Lift | 34 Toyo AT2 | 20" Black Rhino Sindewinder
    I had this happen to my wheels. Saw it after someone sprayed them down with degreaser and it etched the finish could never get it off.

truefunk likes this.
  25. Jan 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    ryanryan34

ryanryan34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    El Paso TX
    Vehicle:
    Carven Cat-Back, Rough Country Heavy Duty Front and Rear Bumpers with grill insert, K&N Air Filter
    Thanks for the info, can't recall them ever getting sprayed with degreaser. Hope there is some way to get them clean again.

26. Jan 16, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    How long have they been like that? Looks like a chemical dried on them.

Pudge likes this.
  27. Jan 16, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    ryanryan34

ryanryan34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    El Paso TX
    Vehicle:
    Best guess is around a week or so now, this past weekend was when I tried to clean them with Chemical guy wheel cleaner. Any suggestions on how it get it off ?

28. Jan 16, 2020 at 5:01 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    CG wheel cleaner isn’t very strong, but it should’ve done something. Did you use a spray wax or sealant that may have gotten on them?

29. Jan 16, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    ryanryan34

ryanryan34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    El Paso TX
    Vehicle:
    Not to my knowledge, I did take the truck on a long road trip and saw a load of snow and rain, my first thought was salt from the roads or maybe even paint

30. Jan 17, 2020 at 2:31 AM
    Adam

Adam And poof! All my patience is gone. TA-DAA!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Eyeowah
    Vehicle:
    2014 Raaaaadiant Red Tundra
    try a mild stripping soap like dawn to see if it cuts it off. If it doesn't, I would think a clay bar may be your next step.

Brownsfanhere likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top