1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask the Detailer

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by T-Rex266, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Oct 29, 2019 at 9:49 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot Clueless Carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Tundra TSS OffRoad CM 4wd
    15% front/5% rear tint. Aftermarket remote start from JRT w/ tech12volts.com. Swingcase. LED headlights, fogs, & switchbacks. 6" ReadyLift (bought, but pending install)
    Honestly, I'd swing by Dick's or Academy. It's kind of the end of their season, so they may have them on clearance. I went by Dick's once and got a 12x12 for around 40 or 50. I prefer my 10x10 because it's more rigid and a bit easier to set up solo, but it works well. Remember that 12x12's are usually set up with angled legs, so if getting close to your vehicle or wanting to tilt it, it will be something to consider.

2. Oct 29, 2019 at 1:55 PM
    phogallen

phogallen My Last Mid-Life Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black 1794 Fusion Edition
    TRD Pro Grill, front bumper end caps, mirror caps and door handles blacked out. ATC Cap, Cap Pack 6 Gun Drawer, LED lights in CAP, Rhino rails on top, 12 volt accessory plugs. Weathertech floor mats, after market antenae. 45 Ceramic tint film to driver and passenger door. Coachbuilder shims ,+2 shackles, steering kit, bumper shims, Bora 1.25 wheel spacers Bilstein 5100's on mid setting. BW flares with blacked out Route 66 screws. Gloss black powder coated OEM rims and Cooper 295/70/18 Cooper ST MAXX. Tech12Volt sound system upgrade...JL C2's doors and C1's on dash, 5 channel JL amp, 2 10inch subs in custom box and DSR1 sound processor...Soundskins in doors and back wall. Trunk and body badges removed. Powder coated tow hooks red. Linex bed lining front bra film and flares along with full ceramic coat. Ceramic Pro interior plus windshield treatment. Toyota running boards and TRD anti sway bars in front and rear along with blacked out exhaust tip. TRD door latch cover plates. Full VLED light upgrade puddle, license, interior added footwell plus rear tail light brake, reverse. Added ASM turn signal LED's in front. OPT 7 tailgate light in red. Baja Design amber squadrons wc in front and SR2 Pro's in amber on rear bumper. Filmed reverse light in back, added red shackle on tow hitch and new license plate in front. Custom painted badge on tailgate. 3M crystalline on windshield and sunroof. Ceramic window film on rear seat windows. Added dirty deeds 8 inch stainless and summit racing dual tip. Soundproofed floor with foam and mass loaded vinyl. Black Bedslide added to bed.
    I'm needing a recommendation for an air compressor for my garage...I don't need anything huge just occasional use. More portable would be nice but I guess I can buy an aux tank to fill and haul with if I need to take it somewhere.

3. Oct 30, 2019 at 4:31 AM
    War Machine

War Machine Super Secret Elite Member #5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Crewmax SR5 Blaaaack

I recently got this one, but have barely used it, so can’t speak to the quality.
    I can say it’s pretty portable for being a larger unit, and shouldn’t be too difficult to load in and out of the truck. I was easily able to load and unload it when I picked it up. I would have gone smaller, but needed to fit the requirements for my Tornador.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...6?MERCH=REC-_-PLP_Browse-_-NA-_-206189626-_-N

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  4. Nov 6, 2019 at 4:56 AM
    shhernandez74

shhernandez74 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Tundra 4x4 SR5
    FRAC Driver side handle TRD Sway Bar Pop Lock Led Lights Seat Warmers Katzkin Bumper Step
    Would there be an issue with doing a paint correction over several days? I work and go to school full time so I am having trouble finding time where I can just focus on working on my truck. I figured I could wash a panel each night for the next couple of days and polish it. This way I spread out the job over the next couple of days. Once it’s finished I will seal and wax. I figured the sealing and wax process doesn’t take all that long (except for the wait time for the power lock sealant) so I would do that Process on the same day.let me know your thoughts!

5. Nov 6, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Sap Wizard

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob
    I have done a few projects spread over a few days. It makes it a little more difficult and you have to duplicate some steps, especially depending on weather and how much you drive but sure, it's fine to do that.

shhernandez74 likes this.
  6. Nov 6, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Shouldn’t be an issue. If it goes for too many days I’d consider applying sealant on each panel as you finish it.

shhernandez74 and Pudge like this.
  7. Nov 8, 2019 at 11:40 AM
    lsutiger9904

lsutiger9904 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White Tundra CrewMax 1794 Edition 4x4
    What do you use for cleaning and polishing the chrome on your truck?

8. Nov 8, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    Bust

Bust New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shean
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    Carpro just announced a new chrome polish sealant I believe? I love all carpro products, definitely get what you pay for

Pudge likes this.
  9. Nov 8, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I have only used this a little, since the grill on my wife’s old Sequoia was the only chrome I had on anything, but it seemed to work well. Got it at Walmart.

Eagle One Nevr-Dull Wadding Metal Polish, Chrome Restoration, for Wheels and More, 5 Ounce Jar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CNBI1A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_mJCXDb77SN49W

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  10. Nov 11, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Pudge likes this.
  11. Nov 11, 2019 at 8:38 PM
    Bust

Bust New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shean
    Vehicle:
    2013 Black Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    Part of me thinks these numbers are going to be skewed based on the fact that 97% of people, including myself before I joined the forums, doesn't know of brands and products other than Meg's, turtle wax, mother's. Stuff you find at large box stores and auto parts stores

12. Nov 12, 2019 at 4:09 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Someone made a similar comment on there. For instance, Meg’s Gold Class was the top soap, but pro detailers don’t use it. It’s a decent soap, but nowhere in the league of Reset.

13. Nov 12, 2019 at 4:53 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot Clueless Carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    15% front/5% rear tint. Aftermarket remote start from JRT w/ tech12volts.com. Swingcase. LED headlights, fogs, & switchbacks. 6" ReadyLift (bought, but pending install)
    So I'm kind of curious how well this will work. I have been using their Hybrid Ceramic Wax in the blue spray bottle and have been pretty happy with it. This is more of a coating, and doesn't enhance paint like the waxes do. But I may try this at some point. Even considered their new Ceramic coating they introduced. SEMA 2019 they released these 2020 items. I believe hit stores in early 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5rNobaGduY

14. Nov 12, 2019 at 6:13 AM
    jpod

jpod North London Toyota is Garbage

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey (soon!)
    Diamondback HD
    I love the idea of a glass coating which lasts for years rather than weeks. Has anyone had any experience with https://www.glassparency.com/ and can comment? It's expensive, but if it lasts as long as a pro-ceramic coating (3+ years) it would be worth the money to me. Having trust issues, I don't want to go in blind... lol

15. Nov 12, 2019 at 6:49 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I started to post a thread with all the new products everyone showed at Sema, but there were a ton.

16. Nov 12, 2019 at 7:10 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot Clueless Carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    Yea I figured you have been watching what they're introducing this coming year. lol. I haven't had a chance to look at it all yet. Like you said...it's a lot! haha

17. Nov 12, 2019 at 10:37 AM
    AzureNightmare

AzureNightmare F.N.G. (F*cks Not Given)

Member:
    First Name:
    No One
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue SR5 TRD Crewmax
    RCI Offroad Engine, Transmissionn and Tank Skids RCI Offroad Rock Sliders DirtyDeeds 10" SS BAMuffler System -Fumoto Valve Install Pending
    Honestly, I did not read through all 55 pages of this thread, so I apologize if this has been covered.

I just have some questions about how you go about detailing the exterior when things like vinyl or plastidip have been added to it. I ask because I am considering the plastidip solution to black out my Tundra, SR5, and 4x4 badges, and I want to get a Yodagan vinyl from @boardude along with the black TUNDRA letters for the tailgate. Just don't want to put effort into those, and then fubar it.

Also, as somebody who has never done any of this, I am a total noob. I have no supplies for any of it. I live out in the county, so I have hard water. Also on a dirt road with no access to shade or shelter from wind for cleaning. What would the gurus recommend as a good starter set up (Affordable if possible) so I can properly go about detailing to protect my truck? A starting bit that I can use to test the waters and grow if I get better at it. I'm terrified I'm going to try this stuff and wreck my paint.

18. Nov 12, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Sap Wizard

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob
    There are so many options out there for washing and detailing, you'll get tons of good advice here. One thing I would say is that if you know you have hard water, and a water treatment system isnt an option, find a good way to dry your truck after washing. Whether that be some good drying towels or some kind of blower, you'll save a lot of time and energy investing in an effective way to dry. I know it sounds trivial with all this detailing info, but to me it's very important.

Leo's first likes this.
  19. Nov 12, 2019 at 1:13 PM
    AzureNightmare

Member:
    First Name:
    No One
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    RCI Offroad Engine, Transmissionn and Tank Skids RCI Offroad Rock Sliders DirtyDeeds 10" SS BAMuffler System -Fumoto Valve Install Pending
    I've read enough and seen it stressed that drying the truck properly is a huge thing, so I get that part. It's not really feasible to do a water treatment system for me, at least I don't think it is. I have no garage, and the pump building is a joke. This spring I need to gut it and redo insulation. My handyman skills are non-existant lol. This might be rectified in a few years, if I can pull off getting a house built, but who knows. I just want to try and protect the paint and clearcoat.

For the starting stuff, I just want to know what your personal recommendation for an absolute beginner would be. The lower the maintenance the better, because wind is an issue about 363 days of the year. Basically, if your neighbor came up and said "I have a max budget of $200-$300 to get exterior detailing equipment" what would that list look like? Would you recommend a youtube guide for a new guy?

20. Nov 12, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Sap Wizard

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Okay well I will recommend to you what was recommended to me a few years back by wareagleSteve and it led me down the path of wanting to detail more and do better.

2 or 3 buckets with grit guards (this could be replaced by one bucket and about a dozen+ wash mits, the idea is not using a dirty mit on your paint)
    2 or 3, really should be, 5 or 6 good wash mitts. No wands or brushes or old sponges.
    A Good car wash soap (carpro reset is king, but megs gold class, chemical guys maxisuds2 is also good)
    A good versatile "quick detailer" like carpro ech2o or optimum no rinse aka ONR. This is really really important as it gets used for many different purposes mixed at various concentrations.
    At least a dozen quality microfiber towels and always wash them separately in warm water and dry on low to no heat.
    A clay bar, synthetic clay is easier and faster. Tons of companies make them. nanoskin is highly regarded in this category.
    Some kind of sealant or wax. I like carpro reload and hydro2, but you can explore many options, like jescar powerlock or optimum opti-seal or any long lasting sealant.
    Drying towels. Griots pfm drying towels are unreal and I wouldnt use anything else
    Now the detailing stuff like tire shine, tire cleaner, trim shine and protection, I like carpro perl for interior, exterior and tires. Aerospace 303 is commonly used and works but it doesnt last as long or look as good.
    I like stoner glass cleaner for glass, and tarminator for cleaning tough grime. Diluted all purpose cleaner is helpful for lots of stuff, even simple green works and is cheap.
    I am sure I missed a lot, but it's a start.

21. Nov 12, 2019 at 1:46 PM
    AzureNightmare

Member:
    First Name:
    No One
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! Thank you. I'll start my shopping soon, and this list will be of great help. I appreciate all the effort your guys put into your vehicles, and that you go the extra mile to teach the slackers like me about it too!

Pudge likes this.
  22. Nov 12, 2019 at 1:54 PM
    jpod

jpod North London Toyota is Garbage

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    London Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Cement Grey (soon!)
    Diamondback HD
    lol. Max budget $200-300 with that list?

Watch out. This gets expensive fast. That said -->> black Friday. figure it out before then and a good $300 kit is possible. maybe. Look at swapping Beadmaker for the Reload to save money (but you need to use it a lot more often so long-term is iffy for value.) Hydro2 is ruinously expensive but apparently lasts a long time (I bought it, haven't yet used it.) Put Beadmaker on top of that.

Myself, I'm hoping Shine Supply has a decent sale on which will cover the cost of shipping to Canada at least. Got a list... Also want a power sprayer and foam canon. May as well go all-in. Clearly I've gone insane.

Pinay and AzureNightmare like this.
  23. Nov 12, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    AzureNightmare

Member:
    First Name:
    No One
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    The budget isn't carved in stone. I want to save as much as I can, so that was just a basic guideline. I need to save $$$ for the whole house building dream. Between that and paying off the truck, I want to be as frugal as I can.

24. Nov 12, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    Fotnot

Fotnot Clueless Carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    aaaaand he's broke! lol

Pudge likes this.
  25. Nov 12, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    robz

robz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum 2WD
    Full interior LED lights. Bed cover. OEM LED Headlights and Fog lights
    He is just barely scratching the surface with that list though :D

Pudge and Fotnot like this.
  26. Nov 12, 2019 at 2:27 PM
    AzureNightmare

Member:
    First Name:
    No One
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I prefer a gentle and considerate lover. ;) He's treating me right.

Pudge likes this.
  27. Nov 12, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    robz

robz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum 2WD
    Full interior LED lights. Bed cover. OEM LED Headlights and Fog lights
    Just watch out for the dinner with candles stage, cuz that's when it gets serious :bananadance:

:rofl:

AzureNightmare likes this.
  28. Nov 13, 2019 at 4:57 AM
    War Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:

First of all, I have the issue with hard water also. The CR Spotless system is the absolute cure for that, but it’s both expensive up front, and expensive to own. Resin has to be replaced pretty regularly, and it’s not cheap. Keep it in mind though. If you get the opportunity to add it, it will absolutely change the game. I don’t have to dry my truck at all, and only do so if I’m adding a wax or sealant afterwards.

So, onto my recommendations.

Soap:

1) Optimum No Rinse. Fastest and easiest way to wash your truck, and eliminates the problem with hard water drying on the paint. You can use this for most every wash, as long as there isn’t caked on dirt or mud. I can wash my Tundra in about 20 minutes with it. Carpro Ech20 is preferred by some, and it is an outstanding product, but more likely to streak. I also don’t like protection being added by soap.

Optimum (NR2010Q) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8DR0AO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2k.YDb8CWP745

2) Carpro Reset. When your truck is too dirty for ONR, and you have to do a conventional wash. This soap is expensive, but light years better than anything else on the market in my opinion. It does go a long way also. You need to use very little of it in your bucket.

CarPro Reset - Intensive Car Shampoo 1 Liter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MLG4CX2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Lm.YDbT2V6JH3

Towels:

1) The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless. Best all around towel. Great for washing (both conventional and rinseless), and applying sealants or removing wax. (Providing Amazon link, but watch for sales at their website or Autogeek.)

The Rag Company (4-Pack 16 in. x 16 in. Eagle EDGELESS 500 Professional Korean 70/30 Super Plush 500gsm Microfiber Detailing Towels (16x16, Orange) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXRG4L8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Ds.YDb9ETFJ5H

2) Chemical Guys MIC-506. An alternate option for the Eagle Edgeless. Outstanding value, great all around towel. Has the benefit of being a dual pile. Only issue is they degrade faster than TRC’s offerings, but the price is so good that it makes up for it. If you’re only going to buy one type, I’d likely recommend this for the value.

Chemical Guys MIC_506_12 Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towels, Gold (16 in. x 16 in.) (Pack of 12) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8MZ7IA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Ft.YDb0VN6PGQ

3) Griots PFM. Expensive, but hands down the best drying towel on the market. Just one of these will dry your entire truck no problem. (Providing Amazon link, but check Autogeek for sales.)

Griot's Garage 55590 1 Pack PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BD5F19A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1x.YDb4C41W24

4) The Rag Company Double Twistress. Runner up for best drying towel. Works very well, and is cheaper, but smaller. You’ll need at least two to dry your truck. (Providing Amazon link but watch TRC or Autogeek for sales.)

The Rag Company (2-Pack 20 in. x 24 in. Double TWISTRESS Professional Korean 70/30 Blend 850gsm Twist Loop Microfiber Drying Towels https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q6PLX4V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_uz.YDbM2FT310

Paint Protection:

Several routes you can go, so I’ll list a few options.

1) Carpro Hydro2. Expensive, but super easy to apply, and a bottle goes very far. Should get 3-6 months of protection. Provides good protection, but no gloss.

CarPro Hydro2 Touchless Silica Sealant 500 ml. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQN556A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3C.YDb12YD4K1

2) P&S Beadmaker. Super cheap, best results of all the options, but low durability. Really best if used with Hydro2.

P&S Detailing Products C2501 - Bead Maker Paint Protectant (1 Gallon) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0779LMP2C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_7G.YDbHMEZ6F5

3) Carpro Reload. Great all around sealant. Excels in all categories, but not the absolute best in any of them. Highly recommend this if you want one product that’s easy to apply.

CarPro Reload Spray Sealant 500 milliter with Sprayer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L9A0AC8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_PJ.YDbBJEQFSQ

4) Jescar Powerlock. Best durability out of everything I’ve tried. Provides great gloss, and looks really good on the paint. It’s the most labor intensive to apply though. (Providing link to 16 oz, but a much better value for the 32 oz.)

Jescar Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant 16 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZWMD2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_cM.YDbN6SXV7D

Wheels and Tires:

1) Shine Supply Wise Guy. This is the only tire cleaner I’ll recommend. No better option, by light years. No reason to even try anything else.

https://shinesupply.com/collections/wheel-tire-care/products/wise-guy-gallon

2) P&S Brake Buster. Not the strongest wheel cleaner, but works well, and doesn’t cost much.

P&S Detailing Products N26 - Brake Buster Non-Acid Total Wheel Cleaner (1 Gallon) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RTZBGWX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_NP.YDbX06EQ0G

3) Tuga Devil. Strongest wheel cleaner I’ve used. Excellent product, but expensive.

https://www.carpro-us.com/wheels-trim/tuga-devil-special-wheel-cleaner-1l-34oz/

4) Optimum Tire Protection and Coating. Labor intensive, but worth it. See @Pudge thread for details.

https://www.theragcompany.com/optimum-tire-protection-coating-tpc/

5) Waxaddict Tyre Feeder. Best all around tire dressing, but not easy to acquire.

https://www.waxaddict.co.uk/shop/Feeder-Tyre-Conditioner-Original-Base-p151600904

Other than those two tire dressing products, the rest are pretty interchangeable. Nothing else really stands out.

Paint Decontamination (do this before your first real wash, and probably once a year afterwards.)

1) Carpro IronX. Best chemical decontamination product.

CarPro Iron X Iron Remover 1 Liter with Sprayer, Cherry Scent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UMB7WY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_3U.YDbQ7ZTPKR

2) Nanoskin clay mitt. Much easier and works just as well as traditional clay in my opinion.

Nanoskin AUTOSCRUB Fine Grade Wash Mitt (AS-016) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOS0LH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GW.YDbCATQ7PZ

That covers washing the truck, I believe. It’s early, so I may have missed some things.

29. Nov 13, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    purplenova

purplenova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Ionic 41 Boards Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i
  30. Nov 13, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    Fotnot

Fotnot Clueless Carl

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Vehicle:
    thanks man! can't wait for the changes I'm doing coming early this coming year!

Products Discussed in

To Top