1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by LastCanadianExit, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Jun 30, 2017 at 11:01 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I'm expecting this to be the last truck I own. I don't think you're being obsessive but it would be a rough day if you were to get additional damage after the repair!
    In my case, at least, the damage was done by myself and when I was out quail hunting with my older son. It would be worse in a situation like yours.

2. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM
    LastCanadianExit

LastCanadianExit [OP] The dude abides...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum
    ReadyLift 8" Lift Fuel Trophy Wheels Yokohama 37s
    So I did a bunch of research and found this guy that had like all 5 star reviews for his touch up work. He gives me 4 options from repaint the door at the top end to touch up at the bottom end. The bottom end touch up was $100 as he would take his time throughout the day and add later by layer. He would also make sure my OE touch up paint matched better than it did. He has me sold to go out of my way to see him versus a guy my dealer uses. I am convinced this guy cares about vehicles and customer service. Long story short I leave the truck with him for 2 days and when I go pick it up he is doing paintless dent removal on my door when there were no dents before? I look closer and he has clearly burned through the clear coat a little and left deep scratches around the area. Oh and the paint matches less than when I did it.

So I tell him I am very upset because he promised me it would look way better than it did, but never once told me there was a chance it would look worse! He went on the defensive right away and basically said it was "experimental" and these things can happen. After a pointless back and forth for 5 minutes, he yells "Just sue me and see where that takes you!" and walks away.

Thankfully my wife and one of my daughters was waiting for me or I wouldn't have been done the discussion.

I got it home, put some M105 on it, some polishing liquid and then wax. It doesn't look as bad as it did at his shop now, but is NOT as good as the job I did myself. I am now stuck in the leave it or repaint the door scenario, so I will leave it and see if I can live with it. I will wait a couple days to calm down and then post a review on every site out there as this guy got stellar reviews from everyone but one guy who sounds like he had the exact same issue I had with this moron.

I understand that is wouldn't be perfect and hey, if it was no better than I did, okay we tried, but for it to be worse than when I left it? I just don't understand.

3. Dec 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    geno0506

geno0506 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4, S/W, B-6112/5160

I am thinking of that kit or the Dr ColorChip kit, how was yours!

4. Dec 1, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    how does the damage look now? i have a semi-local wheel repair guy that also expanded his business to small body work. he used to repair volks, rays, high end japanese wheels and would color match his own custom paints. he fixed up a few paint chips on our cars used clear coat and blended it fairly well.. i cant tell without shining a detailing light on it. try looking for a reputable wheel repair/body guy on enthusiast forums or facebook groups

Products Discussed in

To Top