1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any way to upgrade just the JBL subs?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 2015Crewmax, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Dec 24, 2018 at 11:21 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I may have to get this set up.
    Anyone wanna buy it kicker comp 8 dual 1 ohm sub? Its pretty much brand new. Would best be powered by an amp but fits nicely in the OEM sub box. Sounds a little better than the stock sub but and amp would be ideal

2. Dec 24, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    KnuckleHD

KnuckleHD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM Limited- Cement
    I’m hoping someone will do a write up on the electrical connections... not my strong suit. Does the kit include all the hardware and connectors or do you need to buy all that separately?

3. Dec 24, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    Pit_goral

Pit_goral New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Piotr
    Greeley, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Limited TRD OFF ROAD
    20181224_092030.jpgoem wire green + , black -

SKMooseHunter, Mountun Goat and Pudge like this.
  4. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    F it, ordered the tech12volts JBL replacement sub... :spending:

DjSamthrax, AKJ78, drapex and 2 others like this.
  5. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax Barcelona Red
    TRD Pro Exhaust, TRD Skidplate, TRD Faux-Pro wheels, Ridge Grapplers
    Me too. figured for 200 bucks it's worth a shot.

KnuckleHD likes this.
  6. Dec 26, 2018 at 9:53 AM
    Okie1

Okie1 New Member

Member:
    SW Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 1794 Crew
    Following Thread... Sounds like i am with everyone else... Disappointed in the JBL premium sound. My biggest complaint is the lack of EQ adjustments. High/Mid/Bass... That's It? Seriously?? I would simply like to adjust bass down in my doors and bass up from the sub? Should be simple. Like others on this thread, I am not looking for earth shaking bass, i just like full distortion free, clean sound at all volumes. Both front doors now have a slight rattles and i am sure it's becuase of the amount of bass the 6x9's are trying to produce. I am considering adding simple bass blockers to the door woofers. Anybody try that? physical bass blocker at each woofer and then use the pitiful EQ to adjust bass up which in theory would give it more sub??? And yes i need to add dynamat or equivalent behind all 4 door panels to help with the rattle and overall sound. the $200 sub replacement mentioned above isn't a bad option... although we would still be stuck with lack of EQ control.

Pudge likes this.
  7. Dec 26, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    ninjajay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    I replaced my HU within a month of buying my truck, and had plans to as part of deciding on Tundra vs F150. I think the entune deck is a big limiting component

8. Dec 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    I debated this, but for the cost, I wanted to try something else first. I got quoted about 1k installed for a Pioneeer 4400 NEX, which would be sweet, but idk if that sweet....

9. Dec 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    ninjajay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    I did 4200NEX (purchased when the 4201 was current about 2 years ago), all in with Maestro and harnesses was about $550-600. DIY install with the JBL system is pretty easy if you know how to build a harness. I'd say $1k installed is a little high but if it comes with Maestro and all accessories to keep steering wheel controls and cluster display it's worth it. There's a $150 rebate from pioneer going on that might sweeten the deal for you.

AKJ78 likes this.
  10. Dec 26, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    drapex

drapex Floridian by birth

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    RTP, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM Platinum - Barcelona Red Metallic
    Let me know how you get on replacing the head unit. I'm curious what you'd lose. Back up camera? Entune?

11. Dec 27, 2018 at 1:46 AM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    So all you did was put the wires in the terminal blocks as shown or did you need to crimp?

12. Dec 27, 2018 at 4:24 AM
    Pit_goral

Pit_goral New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Piotr
    Greeley, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Limited TRD OFF ROAD
    No crimps, just put the wires in the terminals, same like home theater speakers

13. Dec 27, 2018 at 6:59 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    Looks like a good investment for $200 , the Phoenix HU really woke my sound system up but this looks like it would be the icing on the cake.

14. Dec 29, 2018 at 9:57 PM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Platinum-SOLD 2022 Sequoia, Celestial Silver Metallic
    I wish you would have been able to make the Auburn Brewery meet earlier this year. I wanted to check out your ride and hear your exhaust. You could have checked out my system also. After most people left, a few people listened to mine and complimented it. They got a kick out of my sub box as well. It's not something one sees everyday.

BlueBottle[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Dec 30, 2018 at 6:51 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I like the idea of adding bass blockers to the doors. Nice and easy and kinda old school but it should work I may pick up this sub and box from tech12volts and grab some bass blockers to try.

Okie1[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 30, 2018 at 6:53 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Actually I wonder if I can just buy the box from tech12volts and use the kicker 8" dual 1 ohm sub I recently purchased ?

17. Jan 3, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I spoke with James at tech12volts and he said that he could build me a similar box for my kicker 8" but it would not come close to this setup with the JBL 10". Price would be about the same anyway. So pending one more review, I'll be getting this setup. I'm so glad these guys stepped up and found a solution for us JBL guys that doesn't involve spending a fortune and ripping apart my truck.

cantle and KnuckleHD like this.
  18. Jan 3, 2019 at 8:05 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    Alright guys, update on my end on this thing. I decided that for 200 bucks the tech12volt system was worth a shot. They shipped it fast, and while the website could use some updating, they answered my emails fast.

Product/Install
    The box seems well built. The packaging was good, but it got a bit of a beating in shipping. The carpet is applied well, and everything seems professional, as far as I can tell.

As far as install, I did it in about 30 minutes at night. The hardest part is wrangling around with the big seat. Steps:
    1. unbolt seat (4x bolts, one has a unique thread).
    2. tilt the seat forward, exposing the sub behind it.
    3. 3x 10mm screws to remove the stock sub, and unplug.
    4. Place new sub in place, use wire connectors into the terminal on the sub (just like home speakers).
    5. Wrangle seat back in place.
    6. Bolts back in and torque.

Note that in 5, shit is tight. Like someone else here mentioned, you can get the seat right in, but there is a hairline gap in the back. I threaded everything hand tight, then torqued in a star pattern, and she pulled down flat and flush. At this point, the sub is not going anywhere.

@Pudge I didn't trim any of the back insulation at this point. If you have extra deadening material back there, it might be a bit tight. However, you could easily trim that stuck insulation blanket (I almost did anyway), and then I don't think you would have any issues.

Sound Review
    For reference, I am *not* an insane audiophile. That being said, I used to be an engineer at a well-known speaker company, and so I like to think I have a decent ear. I always felt like the stock JBL system kinda sucked, but not enough to really bug me. Specifically, it felt like it had nothing under the hood. Very twangy, with no kick. Hence my interest in the sub.

After verifying the functionality of the driver and getting everything back together. I began to test. First, just for fun, I put on some super shitty mumble rap with a ridiculous baseline (streaming Spotify through my phone). VERY noticeable improvement in raw low-end power. I wouldn't crank it like this, as it just sounds way too bass heavy, but I wanted to see what it could do. Honestly, it shook pretty hard, and I was impressed.

After that, I played through some various rock, grunge, country, etc. All sounded way better. The system doesn't feel totally new, but it feels like it *should* from the factory, in my opinion. It woke it up quite a bit, and just feels a lot more full.

Again, I'm not a musician or anything like that. Rather, I'm an average joe that likes to listen to music a bit too loud.

Summary
    Worth the effort to install and the 200? Without a doubt! Seriously, install was like 30 minutes, and the improvement is very noticeable to me. I think a lot of that comes from the improved driver, but also the big heavy wooden box. The stock one is pathetic, just a little piece of plastic.

If you're considering doing it, I would say do it. It's a very nice improvement in sound and experience. If the cost was 500, I would probably say think it over. But for 200, easy sell.

Hope that helps some people interested!

ATV25, rv740, rcjh0891 and 9 others like this.
  19. Jan 3, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    glad to hear there's some hope for you JBL guys! great write-up

cantle[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:00 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Thanks @cantle
    I think I'll order it and give it a go. I will need to modify my sound deadening back there but I'll get it done. Appreciate the time you took for this review!

21. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:02 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    A couple pics of mine:
    You're welcome man. I don't want to oversell it, as it's still the same amp, but I found it to be a noticeable improvement and worth my dollar.

IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg

22. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Thanks for your review @cantle I’m leaning closer to pulling the trigger.

Pudge likes this.
  23. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I totally get what you're saying. I think its exactly what I want from what you describe.

cantle[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Group buy? I can talk to James and see what he says...

KnuckleHD and BlueBottle[QUOTED] like this.
  25. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:20 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I’m so down if you can save us some $$$

26. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Email has been sent to James :thumbsup::fingerscrossed::spending::headbang:

Rica25 and BlueBottle[QUOTED] like this.
  27. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:29 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Keep me updated. I’m ready to pay if he says yeah. Thanks!

Pudge[QUOTED] and Rica25 like this.
  28. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:34 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Will do. I hope to be able to start a thread tomorrow for a group buy. Fingers crossed.

BlueBottle[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:36 PM
    cantle

cantle New Member

Member:
    Durango, CO
    Vehicle:
    Good luck guys! It's totally worth 200. Any cheaper, and it's a no-brainer.

BlueBottle and Pudge like this.
  30. Jan 3, 2019 at 9:59 PM
    KnuckleHD

KnuckleHD New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM Limited- Cement
    I'd jump on a group buy as well!

Rica25 and BlueBottle like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top