1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AMP Powersteps on FGT Double Cab

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Tohopko, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Jan 20, 2022 at 7:15 AM
    Needward

Needward New Member

Member:
    I could be interested in helping you with the fab up costs. Whats their price for a single vs a 20 piece run?

2. Jan 20, 2022 at 5:15 PM
    Rampage7

Rampage7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra double-cab SR5 4WD V8
    1/3 of the way to swapping out interior bits to make him an SR5+ (Swapped out radio bezel, inner door panels and center cup holder insert… just need to find NM power leather seats… likely never living the full dream of a power sunroof, but alas
    I’ve already authorized the single-set order

$675 for the single order… they are estimating about $600-ish each on a run of 20 or more.

I'm pretty sure that’s an absurd price, but I’m already invested on the steps themselves for retail, and those are useless without the adaptor brackets

I know it’s a pain for a fabrication place to stop everything for a 1-off order, and this was never going to be a quick job since they have to input everything just right and then do some of the other build by hand.

my plan is to get my order, then get all the schematics so I can make them available here.

worst case is that people have them to take to their own local option for fabrication. Best case is that people can use the schematics and make something similar enough on their own

even if I can’t secure the blueprints as it were, I will have the physical items and can take detailed measurements to provide (after I ensure that they fit and line up properly)

flyfisher and dinosaur like this.
  3. Jan 21, 2022 at 2:17 PM
    03tundrasr5

03tundrasr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Thank you for sharing all the information. I’m hoping to use your information and modify it for use on my 2003 Tundra SR5 Access Cab.

4. Jan 21, 2022 at 10:44 PM
    Rampage7

Rampage7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    1/3 of the way to swapping out interior bits to make him an SR5+ (Swapped out radio bezel, inner door panels and center cup holder insert… just need to find NM power leather seats… likely never living the full dream of a power sunroof, but alas
    So for the steps themselves, you’re likely still looking at the same ‘07 and beyond set that the rest of us are looking at/have. There is a “Plug’n’Play version and a standard wiring version

OP went with the standard wiring, but since I’m just the worst when it comes to looking at anything electrical, I went with the Plug’n’Play

Beyond that the steps will have to be cut to length what with you having an access cab; the instructions give a breakdown of how to figure out the measurement. All I’ll say is measure, measure again, and then measure again. Best to be an inch or 2 longer than the instructions dictate than to be missing that extra bit later on

HOWEVER, the instructions, if one needs to cut the steps shorter, mentions unscrewing a screw/bolt at the end of each step that holds the end cap on… I didn’t see such a screw/bolt on my set. My set looks to have the caps likely clipped on

Either way, I’m sure that something can be figured out

The mounting system should be the same I’d imagine, but the distances would surely be noticeably different

When I get mine, I’ll try and take a bunch of crisp pics and add applicable notes

In the meantime, I’ll try and get a good/better look at my steps on Monday as I am off that day. I very likely just missed something when I looked at them the first time regarding those endcaps (they are still in their box in the living room until the brackets I commissioned are done)

5. Jan 22, 2022 at 3:56 AM
    03tundrasr5

03tundrasr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Thanks for the information. Looking forward to learning more.

6. Jan 22, 2022 at 8:18 PM
    Understr

Understr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04' DC
    Yes
    So I took the drawing on page one and sent it to a friend. He put it in cad and wrote an estimate for us. $550 per set but he's not sure he wants to mess with it unless he can fab more than just a couple sets. If we can get a group together he could get if down a few bucks. Quick question though. Are the wedges the same distance from each end of the part? I saw that the rear wedge is 6in from the end of the part at the rear, is the front dimension the same? Thanks!

IMG_6039.jpg

7. Jan 24, 2022 at 8:05 AM
    Needward

Needward New Member

Member:

Oooof Yeah that is definitely an absurd cost imo. Have you talked to a local fab shop about having one welded up? Seems like a $200 job if you exclude the milling.

8. Jan 27, 2022 at 10:31 AM
    Understr

Understr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04' DC
    Yes
    Can you take the drawing to your local fab shop and get us hooked up at $200?

9. Feb 2, 2022 at 9:21 PM
    06 1st gen dc

06 1st gen dc New Member

Member:
    20210702_221851.jpg Hi Everyone. As a coincidence, I came across this post. And like many of you, I had no guides to follow even after looking on the internet for information or videos. At that point I decided to move forward and find a solution. After a few unsuccessful attempts, I came up with something very similar to what the OP had come up with and others have elaborated upon.
    I'll try to find pictures and add on here.

20210703_021852.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  10. Feb 13, 2022 at 12:54 AM
    Rampage7

Rampage7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    yeah, I believe the distance of the wedges is the same from the front as from the back in the set I ordered. My place just didn’t want to have the wedges ultra close to where the main plate connects to the body

now the distance from the front connection to the middle connection is LESS than the distance from the middle connection to the REAR… which is why my place opted to do the middle connection opening as 2 slots so that they can make the part universal

I see that your friend also did short slots for the middle connection point, though I may have already alluded to that in earlier posts ‍♂️

yeah, I won’t lie, I had hoped for closer to $300/set, but the more I think about it I was prolly being unrealistic. I don’t have any awareness for how much the raw materials cost, the time involved in putting the design into the program isn’t free, and the labor cost for the crafting itself isn’t cheap along with the machines used

Am I being overcharged? Maybe? I dunno…

Is it a lot of time and effort for them to do a single order of 2 total pieces? Yeah, probably.

that rendition that your friend whipped up is fantastic by the way. The only thing that we don’t know for sure is the exact angle that the wedges need to be at, though OP’s washer stack photo is so perfectly head on, that you can likely measure the angle with a compass and be super close

My physical set should hopefully be done in a week or so. I just hope they look as professional as I’m thinking they will, and MORE importantly that they fit cleanly and are really close to the correct angle. I cannot stress enough how good your friends CAD turned out. That’s exactly what my mind saw them as when I was doodling stuff for my submission (except for the middle slots because that was an idea by the fabrication place)

As long as they are really close, then I can just add a washer to either edge and that should get me there, but regardless, when I have my set and confirm the fit, I can pass on the specific measurements

The steps themselves are connected with “T-Nuts” that run in a track, so within reason the wedges don’t have to have the exact same placement that mine will.

I went with OP’s logic that being about 6” in front of the rear connection point for the rear wedge would be good, but that was also based on 2 independent wedges, where as now this has evolved to a single plate connected to all 3 points for stability with wedges welded on

If someone took the design and wanted their wedges 4” from the front and rear connection points instead, then that should be fine I’d imagine. You just don’t want to have them too far away from where a person would be stepping. (Like having the wedges 12” from each other, knowing that people would be stepping several feet away from either point toward the ends of the steps is begging for something to bend or snap)

But I just love that there have been some additional idea’s and solutions offered here so far.

I’m hoping that my take on OP’s idea and their friends design works as well as I think it will, but yeah, it’s a lot of money even at $500 for 2 plates of steel with 2 wedges welded to them… but the steps themselves are expensive, so i just accepted that if I had the $$$ to drop on steps that move, that what’s another chunk of dollars to have them (hopefully) fit properly

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  11. Mar 30, 2022 at 5:05 PM
    flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    Update on how your project went?

12. Jul 15, 2022 at 4:53 PM
    flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Purchased PowerStep Xtreme wireless model (Part# 78137-01A) for a 2007 Tundra CrewMax for my 2005 Tundra DC. The size is perfect—no cutting.

Built brackets as per the plan above (a couple of the dimensions were different for my truck), then had them powder coated, and mounted the brackets and motors. They are going to work perfectly.

HOWEVER, the motors will not synch with the OBDII port. Spent 4 hours this morning with a master electrical mechanic retracing every step, fuse, wire, and connection. Have power, but only one motor will respond. Other motors are functional, but no juice getting to them. Conclusion: Incompatible wiring loom with the OBDII port.

Any ideas from those of you who have done this?

Thanks for your help!

13. Jul 15, 2022 at 7:11 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    I'm not sure what all comes from the OBD port to run these steps but could you power the steps off the battery (maybe it's already like this) but get your trigger to raise/lower the steps off the dome light circuit or a circuit that says a door is open (like the one that make the door open indicator pop up on the dash)

14. Jul 15, 2022 at 7:58 PM
    flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'm thinking I may just need to buy the harness for the wired version which is triggered by the door opening (I think).

A few guys on here say they have done the wireless version with the '07 Tundra harness on the same truck as mine, so I wonder if they had to switch around a couple of wires or something.

Thanks for your response!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  15. Jul 15, 2022 at 8:20 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    The non-PnP harness just has you tap into the door switches for each door so that power is supplied to the step motors once the door is opened.

16. Jul 15, 2022 at 9:58 PM
    flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Unless I find a workaround, that's the way I will need to go. Thanks for that clarification.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    texasrho83 likes this.
  17. Jul 22, 2022 at 10:41 AM
    flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Heads up! The AMP Plug-n-Play XTreme steps (dual motor) for an '07+ Tundra DO NOT work on previous models because of the OBD2 interface.

The AMP technician told me that no alternative hardwire harness is available. Looks like I need to bundle them up and sell them at a discount.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Dolfimus_prime likes this.
  18. Oct 25, 2022 at 1:57 PM
    flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Did the plug-n-play version work on your 1st Gen?

Dolfimus_prime likes this.
  19. Sep 15, 2023 at 11:30 AM
    Gtendow

Gtendow New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 tundra double cab
    4 inch lift
    What happened with the amp running boards for the 2004 tundra?

Products Discussed in

To Top