1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

After Claying

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by josef, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Oct 2, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    josef

josef [OP] Babe Magnet

Member:
    First Name:
    Josef
    Victoria TX 77904
    Vehicle:
    2002 tundra which I recently sold for $5,500 and bought 2019 limited.
    I have clay bared my new 2019 Tundra limited twice. Do I need to do anything now??

2. Oct 2, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Now‘s the time to correct any imperfections that may bother you and get the paint as nice as you can. Then a good coat of wax or two. Even better would be a ceramic coating or sealant. Claybar takes the wax off as well as all the contaminants. I’ve been thinking of trying the Maguires do it yourself ceramic coating. Plenty of other companies but I trust Maguires as my go to. Plus the price is right.

Check out our detailing threads.

3. Oct 2, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
  4. Oct 2, 2019 at 1:10 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    After claying you have several options of what you can do, if you want to work on the paint more. But there is one thing that you HAVE to do now and that is seal the paint somehow with wax, a sealant, or ceramic coat. The clay process should pretty much remove any paint protection that you have on your truck so you need to replace that. It's up to you what you want to use. Personally I use synthetic polymer or sio2 sealants, one day will use ceramic. Some use wax but I don't because it doesn't last long.
    Now as far as what you might WANT to do, if you have any scratches, swirls, or imperfections, you may want to polish those out leaving smooth and defect free paint to seal. You could use compound and polish by hand, but a DA polisher makes it go much faster and will likely yield better results.
    You can decide if you wanna buff and polish, it's a big undertaking, but one thing is for sure and that is you have to get a layer of paint protection down soon.

NUDRAT, 15whtrd and Trooper2 like this.
  5. Oct 9, 2019 at 3:29 AM
    josef

josef [OP] Babe Magnet

Member:
    First Name:
    Josef
    Victoria TX 77904
    Vehicle:
    After much wringing of my hands I finally purchased Mothers 01024 CMX Ceramic spray coating. Applying it was very easy and it does look very sharp. After taking a long trip I decided to clean the bugs off the front using bug off following the directions and rinsing with a lot of water. As a test I did not dry my truck. What a mess, water stains everywhere.

6. Oct 9, 2019 at 6:06 AM
    MAGDADDY

MAGDADDY TTC #280

Member:
    First Name:
    JON
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Platinum CM MGM
    Leer 100XL, Bedrug, Go Rhino running boards, LED int/ext lighting, Bilstein 6112/5100 1/2”shims up front, Coachbuilder +3 shackles, CB drop, TRD front/rear sway bar, 275/65/20 Michelin LTX M/S 2, sequoia painted mirror cap/door handles, Rago Fab low pro ditch brackets, Baja Designs S2 sports ditch lights. Baja Designs S2 sport rear flush mount pod
    Uncle Joe!!!! What’s up! You know I ended up buying an air dryer for my truck. It’s got a high power blower and heater all in one that blows hot air to dry. Makes it a lot easier than by hand. I had mine ceramic coated a year ago and it was the best investment I could have made. Here’s mine after a quick wash and blow dry. What’s your new sled look like?
    53695EB1-0F60-41C4-B4FA-2F426A157D8D.jpg

7. Oct 9, 2019 at 6:09 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

Yeah, unless you have deionized water, it’s gonna do that. You use Shine Supply Bug Off? What did you think?

MAGDADDY likes this.
  8. Oct 9, 2019 at 2:40 PM
    josef

josef [OP] Babe Magnet

Member:
    First Name:
    Josef
    Victoria TX 77904
    Vehicle:
    I am very pleased with it, i have used it on my other vehicles, both Toyotas and just sprayed it off and never had all these water stains, even my bumper and grill stained big time and never has before. These stains are on my 2019 tundra, same water.

IMG_2757.jpg

Tchase likes this.
  9. Oct 9, 2019 at 2:49 PM
    josef

josef [OP] Babe Magnet

Member:
    First Name:
    Josef
    Victoria TX 77904
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tundra limited. Had to find something that would do most of the driving for me Now that my wife has died and I don't have anyone to clutch the dash with varying pitches of screaming. I'll get you a better picture soon. What's the name of the dryer??

2019.jpg

10. Oct 9, 2019 at 2:54 PM
    blizz86

blizz86 New Member

Member:
    o_O Definitely use some sort of synthetic wax, meguiars ultimate liquid wax is super easy to apply and it gives a great shine. Only downside is it lasts maybe 3 months, but its so easy to apply you should every other month to build it up.

11. Oct 9, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    Tchase

Tchase MostlyLurk

Member:
    Buckley WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Tundra Limited
    In work
    I use the turtle wax version it works great

12. Oct 9, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    MAGDADDY

MAGDADDY TTC #280

Member:
    First Name:
    JON
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Platinum CM MGM
    Leer 100XL, Bedrug, Go Rhino running boards, LED int/ext lighting, Bilstein 6112/5100 1/2”shims up front, Coachbuilder +3 shackles, CB drop, TRD front/rear sway bar, 275/65/20 Michelin LTX M/S 2, sequoia painted mirror cap/door handles, Rago Fab low pro ditch brackets, Baja Designs S2 sports ditch lights. Baja Designs S2 sport rear flush mount pod
    The dryer is called Masterblaster by metrovac. It’s a touch pricey but I like it a lot. I really like your truck, and you got the perfect color, I’ve got the same. Glad to see you on the forum, there’s loads of information here. Need to come down with James hang out. Good luck on getting it all sealed up, that’s a big job.

Ps its Jon, Fays son, Amy’s brother, sorry I didn’t put this in the first message.

Pudge likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top