1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/T options for a M/T kinda guy

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by McTundra12, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Feb 27, 2016 at 2:43 PM
    McTundra12

McTundra12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '12 CrewMax TRD
    Notta
    So I'm just another guy with a tire choice to make. I've ran many different M/T's, Mickey MTZs are the best true mud rippin' tires I've owned and Duratrac's are my favorite snow tire. But I have evolved and began to look for a solid A/T to help the road noise and ride quality of my new to me Tundra.

My attention draws to the BF KO2 A/T because they look the part, but I've never been impressed with their off road performance. I realize that fact that I've been running M/T's for over a decade, my opinion is bias. So I ask for options that people have positive real world experience running. My needs are a good to great snow tire, that can handle some Ohio clay when needed. It must also be great on the road.

I'm going to be leveling the truck and might want to go from a 275/65r18 to a 285/65r18ish option. Money is always a factor also.... Thanks for any opinions.

2. Feb 27, 2016 at 3:03 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    At my last job, we had KO2's on all of the new GMCs and Fords. Had great luck with 'em, especially in the muddy fields we grew spuds on. Handled very well on-road, and pulling heavy (12,000-30,000 lb) loads on a daily basis. They performed much better than the KO's on my Duramax. When I upgrade tires here in the next year, it's likely gonna come down to KO2s or Duratracs.

3. Feb 27, 2016 at 3:31 PM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    I don't think you can go wrong with KO2s. From what I read, KO2s improved especially in mud performance over the previous KOs.

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  4. Feb 27, 2016 at 5:28 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Its not in your list, but I am looking at Cooper STT Pro's. My buddies have no issues with them!

5. Feb 27, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    mdavis

mdavis I need a beer.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    I like my Toyo Open Country AT/2's.

6. Feb 27, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Very happy with the Duratracs

7. Feb 27, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
  8. Feb 27, 2016 at 7:45 PM
    Virgils12

Virgils12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Camburg Fox factory 2.5" lift Xd monsters with 295/70/18 nitto terra graplerrs Corsa cat back Weather tech liners Wet okole covers
    Only had my ko2's 2 weeks but am very pleased with them. Ride is good very smooth. Better than my nitto terra grapplers. Did great in the snow and noise is no more than my Nittos. They look great also!

9. Feb 27, 2016 at 8:32 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Love my KO2s. I'm not a serious off-roader, but the few times I've driven on muddy dirt roads they got me there and back with no drama. Relatively quiet on the highway as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top