1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4hi/lo blinking, ABS and traction control solid multiple warning messages

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by iaff284, May 3, 2024.

1. May 3, 2024 at 6:54 AM
    iaff284

iaff284 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited Crew Cab 4x4 5.7
    2/3 lift
    Hey all, I have a 2019 Tundra crew cab 4x4 limited with a 3/2 lift and have the above lights/messages showing. The 3/2 lift was put on a year ago with no issues. I drove a couple hundred miles the other day and everything was fine. Stopped for gas and started the truck and everything lit up and beeped. I was in the middle of nowhere so I had to drive it and it drove normal except for the loss of cruise control due to the errors. I stopped at an Oreillys and they pulled the codes and it showed a battery code, hi/low charging code, battery ground code, and a code for the left rear speed sensor. I had the battery die due to a light being left on a couple months ago and had to boost start it. The battery has been fine since and when I got home yesterday I pulled the terminals off, cleaned them, and checked the battery with my electronic tester. It showed 95% capacity and 3.48ohms internal resistance. I am assuming those codes are from the battery dying. I checked both rear wheel sensors and the front left for reference and they all ohmed the same. I have battery voltage to the plug at the rear harness for both sensors and the voltages are the same. I tried to spin the tire with the meter set to AC just to see if the sensor is reading the tone ring and none of the three sensors would make the meter read at all. I pulled the left rear sensor and it was covered in grease. I cleaned it and put it back but the lights are all still on. I left the battery cables off and bled the voltage down before I restarted the truck. As soon as it started the lights came on and a single start up error message came on. When I started driving, that's when the rest of the messages came in. I have installed Techstream and ordered a cable but it won't be here until next week to see if I can read live data coming from the sensors. Anyone have any other thoughts on what the issue is or how to diagnose a bad tone ring? TIA

2. May 3, 2024 at 8:03 AM
    OldGuy03

OldGuy03 Still new here, but working on it

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    CO
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM DC RW
    Last edited: May 3, 2024
  3. May 3, 2024 at 9:28 AM
    iaff284

iaff284 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2/3 lift
    There was grease and oil on the sensor. I checked the wiring harness with no damage. I would think that with the sensor ohming out the same as the other two and voltage to the plug that the wiring harness is good?

4. May 3, 2024 at 2:02 PM
    OldGuy03

OldGuy03 Still new here, but working on it

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    CO
    Vehicle:
    12 MGM DC RW
    It's likely to still work if you clean up the gear oil. But the gear oil on your sensor is a sign that your seals have failed and possibly your bearing hub assembly.

5. May 3, 2024 at 3:56 PM
    Fergie

Fergie New Member

Member:
    Check the table in this link:
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/fla...tart-stuck-starter-issue.137888/#post-3486165

Mine ended up being the front right; even though the original error code I pulled on my cheap OBD reader said rear. A good bi-directional scanner is needed to get it figured. Wheel speed sensors are the same front to back, but different left to right, if that helps. I pulled a spare at the pick and pull that last time I went.

OldGuy03 likes this.
  6. May 3, 2024 at 6:18 PM
    Ponderosa_Pine

Ponderosa_Pine

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Cement DC
    Magnuson Supercharged, Dobinson Lift, 315/70r17 on Rockwarriors, Heftyfab bumper, Dirty Deeds 3” race exhaust
    Those are also the flashing lights you get if your ECM is having trouble too, possible if the vehicle was battery jumped in a weird way.

OldGuy03 likes this.
  7. May 14, 2024 at 9:08 AM
    iaff284

iaff284 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2/3 lift
    Found the issue.....The ABS sensor was ground down by the tone ring. Looks like its time for a new wheel hub....

Fergie likes this.
  8. May 14, 2024 at 9:35 AM
    Fergie

Fergie New Member

Member:
    Glad ya got it figured out. Be wary of the inner dust seal on the hub...it goes on the inboard side of the knuckle. If it isnt a tight fit, it gives massive issues when the CV turns the seal in the housing itself. I had to go w an OEM Toyota one as the Napa one was too small and fell out.

OldGuy03 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top