1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2UZ-FE Power loss at 4000rpm

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by Krazie Sj, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Mar 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj [OP] Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mall Crawler Extordinare
    All Pro Long Travel with Walker Evan Coil Overs, All Pro Expedition Leaves with Walker Evan Resi Shocks, All Pro IFS, transmission and E-Locker skid plates/guards, ARB Bumper with Kragen LED flood lights, 10,000lb SuperWinch, All Pro Rear Bumper, All Pro Sliders, Custom RTT Rack with Roto Pack, ARB Simpson RTT, Bed Tray. 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs and 285x75R16 Yokohama Geolander it g072. Airaid Short ram intake, Intake manifold spacer, Borla Cat back Exhaust.
    My thoughts too. However at this point I'm open to witchcraft being the cause.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  2. Mar 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
  3. Mar 19, 2016 at 2:38 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    All Pro Long Travel with Walker Evan Coil Overs, All Pro Expedition Leaves with Walker Evan Resi Shocks, All Pro IFS, transmission and E-Locker skid plates/guards, ARB Bumper with Kragen LED flood lights, 10,000lb SuperWinch, All Pro Rear Bumper, All Pro Sliders, Custom RTT Rack with Roto Pack, ARB Simpson RTT, Bed Tray. 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs and 285x75R16 Yokohama Geolander it g072. Airaid Short ram intake, Intake manifold spacer, Borla Cat back Exhaust.

And after I drained this much it was just sitting at the cold mark on the dipstick of the transmission.

Hopefully none of the springs are permanently damaged.

Do a few road tests and get back to you gents.

Bob likes this.
  4. Mar 19, 2016 at 4:43 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    What did the filter look like ?

Krazie Sj[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 19, 2016 at 8:00 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    So it was over filled?

6. Mar 19, 2016 at 10:23 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    By about 2 to 2-1/2litres.

Haven't dropped the pan yet to see the filter. However that's next on my list. I think it helped a little, but it wasn't the silver bullet to my problem. Unless it's going to take the transmission and engine 100+kms to figure everything out.

I went with the 3040C. I have the 3030G but it doesn't do live data.

7. Mar 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:

So this hose was half ripped, melted, degraded through. Cut the broken part off and attached it again.
    Also noticed the air box hose wasn't tightened. My fault.

I think it found some more power between those two vacuum leaks. Currently getting cylinder misfires now.
    The problem just keeps moving. :p

8. Mar 20, 2016 at 11:20 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    And the plot thickens.

9. Mar 20, 2016 at 2:52 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    However the misfires are only at idle. I can burn around town hard and no problem. It's just when it idles That it start misfiring.

Edit, I lie. The scanner now shows it misfiring during acceleration too.

Also not sure if it does this with all vehicles, when I have it in park and Rev it, it revs goes down to say 750 rpms for a second or two, then settles at 500-600.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  10. Mar 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Good lord this truck is confused... has it had plugs? Forget if u said that... need to know what cylinder(s) are missing

11. Mar 20, 2016 at 7:13 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Swap coil packs with the cylinder that's shows the misfire. If the misfire follows the coil pack you have a bad coil.

I think it's getting time to do a compression test to the engine before we get too too deep here.

12. Mar 20, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    If I leave it long enough every cylinder will show a misfire.
    Currently 245678 have gone off before I rest the code.

Plugs were done by me 500-1000 kms ago. Toyota plugs. Used a thin line of anti seize on the threads and placed a ring of dielectric grease on the mating surface of the coil where it touches the plug.
    Did I fuck up and put grease somewhere I shouldn't have? Or should there be grease some where I didn't put any?

13. Mar 20, 2016 at 7:31 PM
    swede78

swede78 Not so new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    westminster co
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra platinum mgm crew max
    Nothing yet
    MY 2000 TUNDRA HAD A CYLINDER 1 AND 2 MISS FIRE A FEW YEARS AGO I DONT REMEMBER THE CODE, BUT RAN LIKE SHIT NO POWER ON ACCELERATION, CHANGED OUT 1 AND 2 CYLINDER COIL PACKS AND ITS RAN FINE SINCE.

14. Mar 20, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    You did everything right. I'm going to sound retarded here but did you recheck the gap on the plugs before putting them in? I have had so many pregap come undone during transit.

Krazie Sj[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Mar 20, 2016 at 8:20 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    I didn't but eyeballing them they looked pretty damn good. And like the picture on page one shows, they were totally shit before. Like 0.6-0.8. Massive gap before I changed them.

16. Mar 21, 2016 at 8:18 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    So what I might do this weekend is switch the coil packs from my wife's 2004 Tundra onto the Sequoia and see if that makes the misfires go away. Otherwise anything else that might make the truck misfire? Battery is showing 16 volts on the dash. (I know that's not the best gauge of the volts, but better than anything else I have to test it with. Tinfoil across the terminals and lick it?)

17. Mar 21, 2016 at 4:02 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Check the compression. If the compression is low say in one cylinder some ecms have a hard time figuring out which cylinder is bad.

If coil packs check out ok and compression is good in all 8. Its time too look at grounds no rust around them, still have not ruled out a ecm going bad. If you can get a hold of the ecm with the engine running tap on the top of it and see if the engine just stumbles when tapping it.

18. Mar 21, 2016 at 4:52 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Might be rust. Which ground, and where would I look for it? The underside of this truck is abysmal. Wicked bad rust underneath.

19. Mar 21, 2016 at 6:04 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Ground strap on the engine. And you have many points of ground on the chassis. Two if it where me looking at one is on the engine and other the ground going to the ecm. Confirm you have 0.00 on the ohms from negative battery post ( disconnected of course from the battery) to ground point on the engine and where the ecm and other components are grounded.

If you have ALOT of rust on the frame and live where salt is applied to the roads check grounds carefully. If they have rust unbolt and clean with wire brush and reassemble.

It looks like we are working with alot of problems at once here. Why I'm going thru a check list when I post.

I will assume the battery posted are clean...

20. Mar 21, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    I would focus on the misfires though. All of them can't be missing like that, it wouldnt run... I bet it's like Mike saod, one or 2 cylinders are actually missing, setting the computer on a shit show

21. Mar 21, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    swede78

swede78 Not so new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lars
    westminster co
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra platinum mgm crew max
    Nothing yet
    if the coil packs are good the next thing i would check are the fuel injectors, when i had the cylinder miss fire code and looked it up i remember it stating something about fuel injectors

22. Mar 21, 2016 at 9:03 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Battery posts are pristine.

23. Mar 23, 2016 at 12:28 PM
    garnaz

garnaz New Member

Member:
    Unlikely but gaskets?
    Spray intake and plenum while watching short term fuel trim.

24. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Swapped the coil packs. Noticed pack 2 and 6 were cracked down the length of the pack. After swap engine is smooth as silk.
    However, still no real umph on the highway when you hump on it. So now I think we've settled on it being a transmission issue. Still have to change the filter so I'll do that this week.
    Should I be chucking in a bottle of seafoam transmission cleaner or ARX/lube guard before I swap it and the fluid out?

25. Mar 27, 2016 at 8:40 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    When that oil came out of the tranny did it smelled burned or anything other than oil?

At this point with everything going on it might be best to have the transmission flushed at this point. Only thing left would be a solenoid maybe sticking. After that its clutch packs have failed.

26. Mar 27, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    Oil looked brand new. However, due to the massive overfilling I can't be sure they didn't drain just the pan. Would chucking a cleaner do anything? I don't mind wasting $10 even if it only maybe helps.
    Tranny still feels like it's hanging a little on gearchanges going up.
    I got my problem doing a flush. I've done that in my tacoma with the A750F. (I believe it's the same tranny in the sequoia. Minus the dipstick.)

27. Mar 27, 2016 at 5:04 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Best thing at this point is drop the pan and see what holds.

28. Mar 27, 2016 at 5:04 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    No the sequoia takes T4 trans fluid? I think, way different trans and fluid than your tacoma.

29. Mar 27, 2016 at 7:30 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    This brings up a more serious question is the correct type of transmission oil used?

Dextron 4 or 3 we use? My manual is not near me.

30. Mar 27, 2016 at 9:40 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    If I recall you can used IV where you'd use III. But not vice versa. (I think this is correct.)
    As for the tranny, did some research and its the A340F in mine. Three solenoids in it. Could it be one of those is going?

Also I did put I'm full synthetic tranny fluid that I used for my A750F. Presuming that should be fine. It says it's compatible with toyota W transmission fluid.

Edit - ATF type T IV

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old...6toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/02600110.pdf

Edit 2 - this one says Dex II...
    http://web.archive.org/web/20111125...athan-buchanan/93fsm/autotrans/41descript.pdf

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top