1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra vs 2022 F-150 opinion?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by john1062, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Sep 11, 2022 at 5:21 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Its honestly been a very solid truck. The only issues ive had with it was because I had it tuned and towed trailers around Utah, Wyoming and Idaho.

2. Sep 11, 2022 at 5:41 PM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    Been meaning to see what the “Getting storage in a Tundra hybrid” thread is all about. My powerboost has a flat load floor with folding underseat box. No tranny hump. Looks like you don’t get as much with the Tundra hybrid.

Again for me it came down to interior utility and packaging. It just baffles me how Toyota seems to have made a conscious decision to give up ground to its competitors in areas where they could have easily matched or beaten them. Like they took it for granted their customer base didn’t need or expect that and would pay for the name and new tech.

3. Sep 11, 2022 at 5:46 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Mike sweers actually took a poll of tundra owners. It turns out they didnt want a flat floor, storage options, a generator or 4Auto. They just wanted a truck for truck stuff

Acedude, borla123 and eharri3[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:09 PM
    Floridaman850

Floridaman850 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    '18 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro Tacoma
    Mobtown bolt-on sliders for tight parking spots
    The Tundra was not built for market share. It was built for Tundra/Tacoma owners. Mike Sweers' poll was Tundra owners which is a relatively small population to the big 3.

5. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:13 PM
    Abraham5G

Abraham5G New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 F-150 Platinum BAP FX4 EcoBoost
    My 2014 interior is also in great shape and doesn't rattle. Also garage kept.

6. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:15 PM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    I was a Tacoma owner for seven years, guess they missed the mark.

7. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    So, what, Taco and Tundra owners dont do anything with their trucks?

Actually, now that I think about it, most Taco owners dont.

8. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:48 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    I thought I wanted underseat storage and flat floor but doesn’t matter. At least not until the booster seats are gone.

jproy12, porterbc and eharri3 like this.
  9. Sep 11, 2022 at 7:20 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    For me under seat storage is not desirable since I have a cooler for work and my RR “grip” back there on the floor most of the time. A flat floor would be nice though. Strangely the battery compartment of the iForceMax offers a better spot to put those on than many other solutions.

10. Sep 11, 2022 at 8:36 PM
    Floridaman850

Floridaman850 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    First off, I was in the market for the Tundra. I do like a lot about it.

I have been driving Tacomas since '07. What I like about the Tacoma Pro is it is the most encompassing trim in the Tacoma line. It doesn't compromise (as far as Tacomas are concerned). I use to upgrade my own vehicles but I don't want to bother with it anymore so the Pro was right up my alley. Regardless, my family has outgrown it and I'd like some of those highly desired creature comforts.

I wanted to upgrade to a Tundra but I can't find the trim I want without dealer markups that put it in Raptor territory. Even the Trims I like are what I'd consider 'settling.' The Pro is a f***ing Limited with appearance and suspension (and a questionable cream upper interior), the 1794 has too much damned chrome, the Platinum doesn't offer the Off-Road package, and the Capstone has 22" wheels and a white interior. Say you buy the truck closest to desired spec and hope it 'grows on you.' This truck cost $70K+. Now, you are either happy with it or you spend $$$$ replacing the wheels/tires/suspension you already paid for and everything else to get it how you want. People all over this forum have painted chrome parts or outright replaced them, tires/wheels are switched out, and Westcott is doing pretty well right now. I'm not willing to put any more work into finding one for MSRP either, and that's a bit of a personal problem, I get it.

I've been a Toyota family and came from a Toyota family. In fact, part of me wants to keep the Tacoma but I'm gonna try the Raptor out. Put a deposit on the right deal with an accompanied allocation and I configured it exactly as I want. I'm gonna roll the dice with the Ford reliability I've heard such great things about and probably invest in the extended warranty for once. I work from home so having it in the shop isn't too bad. Toyota will always be dear to me so if this thing with Ford doesn't work out, I'll be back. Maybe the Tacoma will be in a great spot by the time I get back.

I'm not much of a poster but I plan on lurking until the Raptor miraculously materializes or starts making me regret my decision so don't call me out (I mean you can though...).;)

Acedude, DFS and Spakylpm like this.
  11. Sep 12, 2022 at 4:57 AM
    flattie

flattie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Dbl Cab Long Bed Off Road
    Former Tacoma owner. I looked really hard at the Tundra. Spoke to a few dealers and universally they were all at least 10k over MSRP. I'm now driving a 2022 GMC Sierra with the 3.0L inline 6 duramax diesel. I'm seeing 28mpg on the highway and the engine isn't even broken in yet. I will have to wait and see if the reliability is there. I ended up right at $60k for the Sierra - pretty much what dealers were charging for optioned out SR5's with their mark up. Honestly in certain respects the new Tundra seems like a step backwards - the Gen 2 double cab's had plenty of second row seating - the Gen 3's had same or less room than my Tacoma in the second row. If I could have found a new gen 2 Tundra double cab I would probably be driving that now but they were pretty much all gone by the time I started looking to replace the Tacoma.

in_the_mud and Acedude like this.
  12. Sep 12, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    Kung

Kung Dead sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    In my 2013 F150 it was just the media system.

Well, and the rear window. (3 times)

Well, and the rear driver's side door latch.

Well, and the valve body separator plate.

Well, and the emergency brake.

Well, and a few other things as well.

But other than that it was great!

;)

13. Sep 12, 2022 at 5:39 AM
    porterbc

porterbc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD OFF-ROAD
    I do like that the under seat storage comes with a factory gun rack.. smooth Toyota smooth :thumbsup:

14. Sep 12, 2022 at 5:59 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Which trim level is your Sierra?

15. Sep 12, 2022 at 7:16 AM
    flattie

flattie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SLT, crewcab short bed. So leather seats, heated/cooled front seats, wireless carplay, front/rear park assist/cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitor. I did not get the 360 HD vision cameras or the digital rear view. Base model stereo which I prefer since it is easier to upgrade than the bose system. The other thing I liked about the Sierra is the short bed is 5'10 but quite wide. So longer items can still usually fit on a diagonal. I had the 6' bed in my tacoma and going to a 5'5 bed was not appealing to me. Disclaimer - I took delivery missing heated/cooled seats, front/rear park assist - those will be retrofitted once the chips come in.

16. Sep 12, 2022 at 7:21 AM
    flattie

flattie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
  17. Sep 12, 2022 at 8:03 AM
    Floridaman850

Floridaman850 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    Sierras are sharp, I do like them as well. Before the Tacomas I had a 2001 SL Regular cab step side and a 2004 SLT extended cab, both 2wd. I went through a short phase of 20” wheels and rubber bands, haha. 20” was big back in the day.

I guess at this point I like all of the full-size trucks in their own ways. For midsize though, Tacomas all the way. The 2023 Colorado/Canyons do look good to me but only because I see Tacoma in them.

Acedude likes this.
  18. Sep 12, 2022 at 8:12 AM
    DFS

DFS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Capstone Tundra
    Since when is having more floor space available in the back seat not "truck stuff"? Is that just what Tundra old timers say because they've never had anything other than a massive hump under the rear seats? These arguments are just laughable, and as usual come from people that don't even own a 2022, but had a "2013 F-150 with ALL the problems". F-150 is the best selling truck on the planet for a reason. My 22 Tundra has grown on me, but for goodness sake, there's a lot of flaws. More than my 22 F-150 had or my Raptor. It's like blindly defending Toyota is some people's purpose for existing. Neither truck is perfect

Acedude, Abraham5G, akmerle and 2 others like this.
  19. Sep 12, 2022 at 8:19 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    I’d like to see how the surveys were phrased as I have trouble believing people willingly gave up interior utility features available in other trucks when asked in a clear way.

Was it “list your highest priority features in order of importance?” (So we can quietly figure out where we are can short change you to pinch pennies)

Or “Yes or no, do you want less rear legroom than the previous generation and a transmission hump and no under seat storage in the hybrid?”

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
    Acedude, akmerle and DFS[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Sep 12, 2022 at 8:23 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    The survey was an internal memo to the engineering and cost team.

akmerle, DFS and eharri3 like this.
  21. Sep 12, 2022 at 8:24 AM
    porterbc

porterbc New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Crewmax Limited TRD OFF-ROAD
    beautiful truck man! Wish they had more towing / payload! Hope the next LZ0 has more to offer in that area

eharri3 likes this.
  22. Sep 12, 2022 at 8:32 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    A GMC or Silverado was on my list. But my Powerboost suddenly popped up on a lot with 99% of what I wanted and no chip related feature IOUs attached to it. And then finding the top Propower on Board system on it hooked me fully before GM managed to get the new interiors out. I was drooling profusely over the GM 6.2 for a very, very long time and it took an adjustment to come around to the idea of more power, faster acceleration and better mileage but giving up V8 sound. I still feel some kind of way when I hear a 6.2 start up around me even if I can edge a 6.2 powered truck out all the way through the 1/4 mile and get 20 mpg all day in normal driving. It’s completely irrational.

23. Sep 12, 2022 at 9:12 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I hate the rear hump under my backseat. I wish I had that little storage box that the Fords have that peeks out from under a folded up rear seat. But when my seats are up, and I'm hauling gear (everything from guitars, amps, rifles, ammo cans, hunting bows, gallons of paint and sealer, a complete 2nd gen Tundra front bumper, tools and supplies for projects, etc), the shape of the floor doesn't matter. At all. The idea that I would switch to a less reliable truck for more features like that is completely laughable to me.

I'd far rather drive something that I trust to last however long I want to keep it. I don't swap vehicles the way people upgrade to the next iPhone. And I'm just completely surrounded by Fords with stupid problems and frustrated friends and family members to ever care to drive one. At least an F150. If my needs change and I run out of payload, I'll look very hard at the gasser F250, assuming I can't get my grandpa's 2000 F350 from him. But even the new Ford HDs aren't immune to drivetrain issues that the dealer just sort of shrugs at, as @Backslider has experienced.

Clunky I-swear-something-just-broke-in-half-under-the-truck shifting, cam phaser issues (even after being "repaired" at the dealer), electronic glitches, dash going black in the middle of driving, doors flying open on the highway, exhaust leak from broken bolts due to turbos being mounted to the exhaust manifolds, rust under a brand new truck, etc etc etc. These are the experiences I hear about from friends and family on a fairly regular basis. Call it all anecdotal all you want, but these align perfectly with the one massive long term drivetrain reliability study in existence. There's a reason your average Ford is worth less than your average Toyota after the warranties on both vehicles are up. I don't "blindly" shit on Ford or praise Toyota. I'm going by aggregated data and close friends' and family members' experiences. I also think the track records of both companies are very much worth considering, even when cross-shopping brand new trucks.
    This is a truly amazing thing to say about a ~$80k truck.

24. Sep 12, 2022 at 9:19 AM
    DFS

DFS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Capstone Tundra
    What data has been aggregated on the 2022 Tundra reliability? That is the name of this thread. Same with 2022 F-150. Cam Phasers haven't been an issue since August of 2019 when engineering addressed and resolved the issue for all new models. As well as a TSB for vehicles produced prior to that date. I have zero interest in what a 2007 Tundra did vs a 2013 F-150. The question at hand is 22 v 22. Toyota has made drastic changes to the power plant, transmission, technology with a total revamp. There will be many problems, just like when Ford introduced the Eco-boost originally. I only have anecdotal evidence as well, my '21 Ford Raptor is flawless, as was my '22 F-150 Platinum Powerboost. My '22 Tundra has been flawless as well besides needed the center stack screen replaced, but I expect more problems as miles accumulate just as I would with a first gen of any new vehicle.

Terndrerrr[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. Sep 12, 2022 at 9:31 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I don't only have anecdotal evidence. I said my anecdotal evidence matches the massive aggregate study that shows definitive long-term trends for both automakers. I will concede that I don't know anyone with a 2020+ EB with cam phaser issues. But my buddy with a 2019 Expy just had his "fixed" a few months ago, and they still make the same damn noise that Ford first said "yep that needs fixed" but now after their repair says "oh that's normal" o_O.

Almost none of the systems in the 22 Tundra are brand new, including MTS/crawl control and the non-hybrid version of the TTv6. The frame and platform and overall design are new, sure. Seems that the GUI for the screen is new as well. But Toyota uses parts and systems from pre-existing vehicles (mostly parts and systems that have been in Lexus vehicles for ~5 years). They have done this for decades. It has worked out better for them for decades. Surely, this must be considered. But instead I read things in this thread like "I have crossed the '22 Tundra off my list because the rear floor isn't flat." Lololol

I'm not claiming my truck is perfect. I'm not claiming the '22 is perfect. But some of y'all in this thread are acting like Toyota's entire method of manufacturing that has led to their excelling in dependability is just completely wiped off the table because we've got a new generation of Tundra that has had some release issues exacerbated by some supply chain issues. To me, that's irrational.

26. Sep 12, 2022 at 9:36 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I would love the ability to store stuff under my rear seats and put the seats down like my brother has in his 2019 Sierra. However, like you say, it's not important enough to switch to another truck for.

Terndrerrr[QUOTED] and DFS like this.
  27. Sep 12, 2022 at 9:39 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    Hopefully I came across like this. The underseat storage is a great feature it's just not a dealbreaker feature for me. Especially when I have booster seats I have to remove to get to it. I didn't use it in my F150 for that purpose. BUT the F150 did have more aux storage than the tundra does, which is great. I love the 2nd glove box. The fact Toyota couldnt' do that is annoying.

28. Sep 12, 2022 at 9:44 AM
    DFS

DFS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Capstone Tundra
    And I'm not here to blindly "shit on" Toyota either, I wouldn't have just spent $76K + TT for a '22 Capstone if I didn't believe in them. We don't need to go into the nuance of reliability and it's relationship with not developing any major changes to the platform for 12+ years because I don't care about that either. I will say, as someone who utilizes the flat rear seat storage a ton, it may not be a big deal if you've never had it. But after owning several Fords with it, it has been more of a nuisance that I care to admit losing that. I carry work equipment that is large in cases, a doberman/belgian ride together in back seat, hunting/fishing gear. All stored problem free until now, and now I have have to adapt which I will. It's just born out of necessity rather than by choice. So a very small problem albeit, but a luxury I miss nonetheless. As I've stated I hope the '22 Tundra platform lives up to it's reputation, and I am somewhat betting on it should I keep the truck. But I wouldn't have spent the money if I didn't have a fundamental belief in the brand to begin with. And my original comment was in no way directed at you, there have been other posters who lack any and all objectivity. So I appreciate your feedback and discussion.

Acedude and Terndrerrr[QUOTED] like this.
  29. Sep 12, 2022 at 9:55 AM
    Gene5253

Gene5253 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Boise ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Limited
    It's no wonder why Toyota is the 2nd most valuable car company (Tesla is #1) in the world. Toyota's value is over 4 times that of #10 FMC. Toyota is #11 on the car manufacturer with the most recalls and Ford is #7. Toyota simply does a better job overall and am confident that once the 22 Tundra gets thru these teething issues it will be once again the #1 most reliable full size truck. (fingers crossed lol)

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  30. Sep 12, 2022 at 10:13 AM
    flattie

flattie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    you can get the NHT max tow package now that bumps capacity from 9200 to just over 13,000. I think they use stiffer springs/shocks and gear ratio changes from 3.23 to 3.5 something. This engine is 470lb ft torque at 1500 rpm and 270ish hp at like 3500 rpm. The new model diesel for 2023 will bump that up a little. Current engine has plenty of power for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top