1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tundra vs 2022 F-150 opinion?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by john1062, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Jan 28, 2022 at 5:36 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Why was he surprised? He should have known it would not run on electric when towing and the 3.31 gears were put in just for efficiency right?

OnThaLake likes this.
  2. Feb 18, 2022 at 1:43 PM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
  3. Feb 18, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    "if I can't hear the V8, I want to hear something"

Good Lord. Is that what trucks buyers have become with no V8 option avail? Stereo engine noise is ok?
    Well I hear now that Toyota is working with Yamaha on a 5.0 Liter V8. Hydrogen. Will it make it into the Tundra?

points that mattered to me.

Good Real World explanation on real payload.
    The Tundras payload (less options) is slightly higher but in reality with couple guys and gear both trucks can only tow 6000 lbs.

Tundra has the widest turning circle. this is known. and previous is Gen is tighter than both the Ford and 22 Tundra .

ALot and I mean alot of copper wiring running through these new trucks.
    The Ford has alot more (more features) and more chance of something going wrong with connections for all the hookups.

4Auto - if my wife drove my truck which she does not -- this would matter alot. Go with the truck with 4auto no question.
    He did point out a lot of people get into trouble putting into part time 4wd too late. - I agree with that.
    The Reason if either of these trucks is replacing i.e. family SUV - it has to have 4 auto for me.

bed entry - wont go there - known

back seat utility - wont go there - known

Pedals adjustable on the Ford. really good feature.

Good video thx for posting.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
    Acedude likes this.
  4. Feb 18, 2022 at 3:14 PM
    UATundra

UATundra New Member

Member:
    Once again he's comparing a higher trim level, hybrid to a lower trim level non-hybrid......he need a lesson on payload because he's comparing apples to oranges.

And, I just went on Ford's website and power folding mirrors are standard on King Ranch's and the lower level Lariat's so......

Mattedfred likes this.
  5. Feb 18, 2022 at 3:41 PM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Yeah I didn’t know what was up with the lack of power windows. Even my Tremor will have them (when it eventually is built)

6. Feb 18, 2022 at 3:42 PM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    any timeframe updates on this ?

7. Feb 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    I ordered and got confirmation from Ford on 12/21/21 but still no build date.

8. Feb 18, 2022 at 4:09 PM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    sorry to hear.
    Back in Jan. the Ford dealer matched the best Toyota price for my 2018 but could not take my order for a Tremor because he had no idea when it would come in.
    For every cant remember the exact number .......50? F150 Lariats he only gets a couple Tremors.
    And I am about to start using my truck again going to the cabin.
    So its looking like nothing happening till Fall again -if things change.
    He - Ford Sales Manager - seemed to think things will not have changed - in Canada anyway.

Bannerman[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 18, 2022 at 4:17 PM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Dealer is telling me probably May or June delivery. Fingers crossed.

10. Feb 19, 2022 at 2:38 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    So here's my hot take after owning both. And actually owning nearly the same trucks. 2022 Limited Tundra VS 2016 5.0 Platinum F150.

The Ford wins the feature contest on paper, hands down. I had one...a damn near top of the line one, too. The F-150 has more features that are honestly very useful and handy, but here's the catch: I have found that I can live without a few of them just fine and once you do, you'll realize that you don't actually need most of them anyway. And so once you're out in the real world actually owning the Tundra, it's really not the big sacrifice people make it out to be. In fact the ride of the Tundra is just so damn good (and I thought the Ford was good when I had it) that it makes up for it. Because most of the time what are you really doing? You're just driving it...probably alone and unloaded, too. The new Tundra is quiet, solid, planted, and the power is just so linear and smooth and there's plenty of it. It's a better drive than the Ford hands down. No question.

So at the end of the day...
    I don't have power pedals anymore (honestly forgot I had them on the Ford)
    I don't have power running boards (they kept seizing up every 6 months on the Ford. Was always waiting for the day that they would completely break. It got to the point that I would mentally prepare for it to get stuck every single time opened the door like "will this be the time?")
    I don't have a tailgate step (this was handy, but I'm 39 and I can get in the bed just fine)
    I don't have trailer backup assist (I guess I'll need to practice more, big deal, millions of people can back up big trailers just fine. I can do it too)
    I don't have 360 cameras (mirrors and sensors work absolutely just fine. The front sensors on the Tundra are great, F150 surprisingly had no front sensors)
    I don't have a flat floor (this does annoy me, but oh well. My dog will have to sit on a hump aw poor guy but he'll get over it. And if I really need to find a spot for my groceries like Tim, there is an entire truck bed out back that I could use)
    I don't have an auto 4x4 (I live in Canada and we get all sorts of mixed winter conditions. I don't miss it)

But that tape measure on the tailgate...I mean there's really no other alternative known to mankind, so I'll probably have to trade in my Tundra sooner than I think lol.

(Also I left out reliability. The Ford had so many problems, much more than average I'd say, and I even ended up replacing the engine. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me go back to Toyota. I know the new Tundra is unproven, so I left the reliability part out. Time will tell).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  11. Feb 19, 2022 at 4:32 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    What problems? This is the thread to discuss this.

Because most of the time what are you really doing? You're just driving it...probably alone and unloaded, too.

Different horses for courses.

My truck is always loaded and used for going between properties. All important tools remain behind back seat drivers side. dog bed on the other side. Leaky tools like the Husqvarna remain in the back under the hard tonneau cover.

i am not a big features person for my truck as its a tool - but 4Auto on dicey steep two lane Haliburton Highlands roads 1400 ft above sea level early spring and late fall....I will take it. Only feature I miss from my old Jeep Cherokees.

I would never put running boards on a pickup - they get hung up, but in winter they are a magnet for caked snow mixed with dirt slush. And for guys with auto folding ones - do they not power fold in if covered in three inches of snow/ice ?

I don't have a flat floor (this does annoy me, but oh well. My dog will have to sit on a hump aw poor guy but he'll get over it. And if I really need to find a spot for my groceries like Tim, there is an entire truck bed out back that I could use)

You see that is a biggie and I can tell it is big for you too. Its a truck its supposed to have utility. Also No one that I know of, with a pickup truck puts groceries in the bed, unless they are carrying passengers for a trip. Groceries are important. Important stuff rides in the cab behind the front seat. Especially with that slick Toyota bed now.... Just sayin...

The 360 camera would be a very nice to have for hooking up to the trailers and checking for trees and stumps in the middle of a forest.
    As far as tech., I get it. I am an IT guy from way back. While I am waiting for this auto world to catch up. Just might treat myself to a Kenwood dmx1057xr with front and side cameras.

Bannerman likes this.
  12. Feb 19, 2022 at 4:43 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Agree with all above. Especially the 4A. That Raptor transfer case alone made me chose my Tremor.

I also think that while historically Toyota has been more reliable, I don’t think the newer designs are any more reliable than other offerings on the market.

13. Feb 19, 2022 at 4:54 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    Problems (in no particular order)
    Windshield wiper motor broke
    Front 4x4 engagement had pneumatic issues. Paid to have it fixed once, broke again not long after. Never bothered again fter that.
    Running boards seized up. I think this probably more of a maintenance thing, but it is important to note.
    Massaging seats/lumbar button would work intermittently. Seemed to fix itself the last year or two of ownership
    Low oil pressure alarm at 150,000km eventually lead me to pulling the engine to change an oil pump and hope that was the fix or just replacing it with a used engine...i did the latter
    Lots of recalls. LOTS. I stopped going in.
    Head unit like to freeze up occasionally and needed a hard reset.
    Rear passenger door started filling up with rain water last summer.
    Probably some other glitchy stuff but those are the main ones that come to mind.

I spent half my life growing up in Minden. I get the terrain and roads. 4Auto would be nice, but you still have 4X4 at the hit of a switch to rely on when getting down Blairhampton road or up to Drag Lake any time of year.

The power running boards will stop and come back out if there's snow build up or anything blocking them.

The lack of a flat floor is a blatant miss by Toyota and the one I miss the most and used the most. I saw that and was like WTF man...you had a decade to figure it out you idiots. Oh well...ill have to live with the hump. This would be more annoying if you rely on the back for pure cargo with the seats always up.

The 360 Camera is a great feature for these big vehicles. The TRD off road models come with it I believe. Mine is a "base" Limited and only has the rear backup camera, albeit on a giant 14 inch display. I'm going to guess you've never had major issues hooking up a trailer before and can probably navigate the woods without the cameras. But they are nice.

borla123[QUOTED] and Mattedfred like this.
  14. Feb 19, 2022 at 5:08 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    My ‘21 has a transmission tunnel hump and the floor is higher under the rear seat. Seemed like a huge miss to me for a long time. Why??? I have my rear seat up and the back area full of gear much of the time.

And the more I use it that way, the more I realize there is ZERO missing utility. The problem is that it just doesn’t look right. But it still holds everything I put back there like a flat tub floor would. There is literally nothing I can’t carry that someone with a flat tub floor can. If anything, it has more utility because the tunnel and the shelf under the seat keep smaller items separated and keep them from rolling or sliding all over the place and smacking into each other.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  15. Feb 19, 2022 at 5:22 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Flat floor is obviously preferable. This isn’t a question.

Acedude likes this.
  16. Feb 19, 2022 at 5:30 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    I used to think the same thing. But the only difference is actually beneficial when I have tools, gallon water bottles, and smaller supplies on the floor. They don't slide around on my Husky mats as much due to the tunnel and the shelf under the seat.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  17. Feb 19, 2022 at 5:34 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    The open area under the seat is what I miss even more than the flat floor. I wish Toyota would have made the organization tray an option. I like being able to stuff things under the seat without lifting them. And our dog cpuld lay on the floor and stretch his legs under the rear seat while the kids are up top. However this is more of a personal issue for me because I have 2 kids seats back there and cant easily lift the seat bottom. Other owners wont have the same issue

18. Feb 19, 2022 at 5:48 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Yeah my back seats have never been down. I was originally considering the DC for the longer bed, but the DC is no longer a double cab. IMO. They should just put in some jumper seats I told the dealer and make the space at least useful. Someone told me the Tacoma has more leg room back there now than the Tundra DC?

The 360 camera would save a lot of "get out and in's" to check and make sure you are not going to hit anything when maneuvering in tight forested areas. I'd still probably do at least one get out and in, but still it is a luxury.
    The best way IMO to learn how to back up with a trailer is when you are on a tight logging road - single lane - carrying a trailer or boat and someone comes at you from the other direction. The rule is the person with the "best exit" moves...and if they can't do it you go out and do it for them.

But Covid has made this very difficult to go into the other persons vehicle 8^0

19. Feb 19, 2022 at 6:08 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Is it possible to do this in any pickup?

I'm with @Terndrerrr that the space in the back seat of the 2.5 gen is plenty useful but I wouldn't mind not having the shelf under the seats so I could store things under them while people are sitting there.

Terndrerrr likes this.
  20. Feb 19, 2022 at 6:13 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    My F150 was open underneath the seats. There was a slim storage bin that ran lengthwise under the back of the seat, but it did not take up much room.

f1515_highlight_lg_underseatstorage_90f73114de9bf910e336b848435fda72d91b50f7.jpg

Acedude, Henry1jg and rebmo like this.
  21. Feb 19, 2022 at 6:18 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    If that is something that you really want with your 2.5 gen it is very doable. The issues come when design changes lead to "dead ends".
    The Toyota previous gen designers and 3.0 gen designers were two very different mindsets - different priorities.

2 5 gen under seat storage 2.jpg

2 5 gen under seat storage1.jpg

22. Feb 19, 2022 at 6:21 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Those seats are up. What does it look like with them down?

The other picture of an F150 I saw had a little piece that dropped down when you lower the seats to close off the storage.

23. Feb 19, 2022 at 7:31 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    There is nothing under the seats. No supports, no brackets, nothing. It's a fully open void space. The seat bottom is 'floating' if that makes sense. Which makes the floor one continuous, flat area for basically the entire rear of the cab. Its a very useful design if you need max interior cargo space.

This was on a 2016, which I will assume is the same from 2015-2020. They may have updated it a bit on the 2021+ but it should be similar.

24. Feb 20, 2022 at 7:33 PM
    GaryC

GaryC New Member

Member:
    I've been putting groceries in the bed for the last 30 years or so, I wish someone had told me before that I was breaking protocol.

25. Feb 21, 2022 at 4:08 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    A tundra forum member's first trip after pickup up his 2022. Great truck utility huh ?
    I personally like my marble rye dry, not damp, and I like my Shreddies crispy not soggy, at least right before milk gets poured on them.
    Did you guys know that in Ontario the milk comes in funny little bags ?

first trip.jpg

OnThaLake, Acedude and Bannerman like this.
  26. Feb 21, 2022 at 4:22 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    Is this meant to be some sort of complaint by the person? I don't get it.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  27. Feb 21, 2022 at 4:27 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    No complaint I was illustrating with an example, that if given a choice, I use the dry not humid cab for groceries.
    Unless my dog is in there already. He like Shreddies too.
    Anyone ever taken a case of beer out of the bed, after it has rained and that trickle of water that all tonneaus let in, made the bed wet under the case?

OnThaLake likes this.
  28. Feb 21, 2022 at 5:11 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    Yeah storage when the seat is down is definitely lacking. I use it more with the seats up, which is why I haven’t done the storage bin mod that is super popular. It would be in the way when I’m carrying 8 guitars and a couple amps.

I keep ratchet straps, recovery strap, tire repair kit, cheap compressor, gloves, tools etc in a Plano trunk that is tied tight to a Total Chaos bed stiffener under my locked TCUSA bed cover. Like a bigger DIY swingcase.

I do really like the pic of the F150 that @Baldwin posted with the small under seat storage bin that is tucked in under the seat when it’s up. That would be very usable for me.

29. Feb 21, 2022 at 5:32 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    I wonder if this thread has changed any minds at all, in either direction. Or if it's just served as confirmation bias? I feel like for me it solidified my decision to order the F-150, but probably had the same effect if you already prefer the Tundra.

upload_2022-2-21_8-30-29.jpg

GODZILLA and Nightshade Tundra like this.
  30. Feb 21, 2022 at 5:40 AM
    Baldwin

Baldwin New Member

Member:
    My F150 had a Ford (looked just like a bakflip) bedcover that never leaked. At least never anything I noticed...im sure a some drips got in there at some point, but I would consider it a dry space. I used the OEM Ford fold away bed extender to make a little fence for anything I didnt want sliding around. Worked great. It would let in dust around the tailgate if going down a dirt road, though.

Products Discussed in

To Top