1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2022 Tonneau covers

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by ak407, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Sep 4, 2022 at 7:39 AM
    Ringwraith

Ringwraith New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Offroad Army Green
    Agree with all your points, notice the same with mine. You can adjust the latch mechanisms out on each end so it catches better. I definitely notice this cover is too narrow though, I frequently have the rubber on one slide sliding under the the edge of the bed instead of covering it.
    I'll almost never need to have it fully open, but yeah I don't like how it rests against the rear light. I will just take it off if I really need the full bed, it's only two screws. Overall, happy with it for the cost, but it needs some tweaks to be great.

2. Sep 4, 2022 at 1:28 PM
    G19OD

G19OD Mall Crawler

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Hi Guys,

I bought a Diamondback HD tonneau for my upcoming Pro. What are y'all thoughts/experiences between going with the Diamondback cross bin for storage or the swing cases for storage?

Obviously utilization of the bed and what space is left if something to consider with these options. What I was looking at for reference:

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/accessories/products/cross-bin-13

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/accessories/products/cross-bin-8

https://diamondbackcovers.com/collections/accessories/products/cross-bin-4t

https://realtruck.com/p/undercover-swing-case-truck-bed-toolbox/v/toyota/tundra/2022/

3. Sep 4, 2022 at 10:06 PM
    cain0725

cain0725 New Member

Member:
    Swing cases not sturdy from my research

Smille, Donas and kilocharlie106 like this.
  4. Sep 6, 2022 at 6:50 PM
    Leif84

Leif84 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD PRO
    A few questions on the Retrax PowerTrax Pro XR (Power) versus XR (Manual)...

I live in the mountains of British Columbia, where it can get cold and snowy in winter and hot in summer any challenges with either? I'm concerned about freezing and being unable to open the cover. How easy/difficult is it to open the manual? In their promotional video, it seems like it glides quickly enough, but I'd like to hear from those that have had one. Lastly, if you had to do it all over again would you go with the manual or power?

Thanks!

5. Sep 6, 2022 at 8:39 PM
    GunnyTundy

GunnyTundy New Member

Member:
    North Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Tundra
    This question might be better answered by people that have owned previous year model trucks. I believe all the aftermarket tonneau covers for the 22 have just started to come to market. I'm sure the mechanism is the same for previous gen models and they would have far more experience with the covers.

6. Sep 6, 2022 at 9:32 PM
    2020Platinum

2020Platinum www.youtube.com/NitroZ18Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro (Lunar Rock)
    I have the PowerTraxOne on my 2022 TRD Pro, but this is actually the 4th electric cover on my 4th Tundra…had a 2014 SR5, 2017 SR5, and a 2020 Platinum, all had a Retrax PowerTrax cover…I live in northeast PA and the only time I had trouble is if I let ice build up on it, the tracks would freeze not allowing cover to open…as long as I kept brushing the snow/ice off, no issues at all…no problems in hot weather at all…would absolutely recommend the electric version, it’s extremely convenient to open/close with a push of a button (yea, I’m lazy…lol)…hope that helps!

Leif84[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Sep 7, 2022 at 8:48 AM
    Leif84

Leif84 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD PRO
    You did. Thanks so much for reaching out!

2020Platinum[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 7, 2022 at 9:44 AM
    GoTTi74

GoTTi74 New Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Ltd TRD OR CM LB
    Can you share where/how you run the wires? Also, I'm thinking about running it to a fuse box rather than directly to the battery as I don't like the idea of attaching things directly to the battery terminals.

Leif84 likes this.
  9. Sep 7, 2022 at 12:16 PM
    2020Platinum

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    Yea no prob, I actually have a video on my channel showing entire install…cover the wiring towards the end!…I’ll also be installing a block as I add more accessories, let me know if I can help!

Retrax PowertraxOne MX Install/Review 2022 Tundra TRD Pro...Electric Cover, Wiring Instructions
    https://youtu.be/zJyTClxgv94

Durtywrench and GoTTi74[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Sep 7, 2022 at 1:14 PM
    22TrdNoob

22TrdNoob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Looks like a bunch of retrax installs on here... Have you been having water issues? I am struggling with water on mine. Had it professionally installed onto my 22 trd pro at a premier local installer who has been great and has tried 3 times to address the issues. I'd be fine with some drips, but I'm talking streams of water pouring in the sides. Retrax suggests concentrating on making sure the rails have a minimum 2 degree rise, but given the brackets for the tundra tie down rails there is no reliable way to make that adjustment and the brackets just pull the siderails back to level or even dipped in to the bed.

I really want to like and keep this cover, and really wanted crossbars with a functional/opening bed cover. But given the effort put into this cover and the amount of water I think it is time to start looking for other solutions. I'm really disappointed. upload_2022-9-7_16-14-5.jpg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  11. Sep 7, 2022 at 3:16 PM
    Hike5

Hike5 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited Crewmax
    I have a couple questions for those with the Truxedo Sentry/Sentry CT.

1. Looks like there are two versions, one for trucks “with” deck rails (like ours) and one for trucks without. When selecting “with deck rails” it says that it does not come with quick release. Does this make it a pain to completely remove?

2. Are the bed rails still useable with the OEM plastic tie down points?

3. When paired with the Elevate TS rails, can you still use the Rails with OEM plastic tie down points? I don’t see why not, but have got conflicting info. Thanks!

12. Sep 7, 2022 at 5:31 PM
    2020Platinum

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    That’s insane!…I get zero water other than a minimal amount at tailgate seams…and it’s not much at all…do you have pics of your clamps?…I’ve installed all 4 of mine with no issues like that at all, that “2 degree rise” can be hard to achieve but it’s doable…I basically push down on rails on top of bed sides as hard as I can while positioning clamps and kinda pushing up to tighten em down, if that makes sense…hard to explain in txt, post a couple pics of your clamps and I’ll see if I can help ya!

13. Sep 7, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    Point Man

Point Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Racecity USA Mooresville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 MGM
    Tonneau Cover, Cat Shield, Power Boards, Bed Mat, Rear Light Bar
    Did you ever get any answers on the Weathertech? I have watched a few videos including non-sponsored real users and it looks pretty good. Trying to figure out all this stuff before I take delivery of my new truck.

14. Sep 8, 2022 at 6:07 AM
    22TrdNoob

22TrdNoob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Here's a picture of the clamp in the worst performing corner (rear passenger side). Many things have been tried, pushing down on the edge while pulling up, shims behind the nylon adjustment screws, makings sure the canister is supported while mounting the rails. These were all done by professional installers with the guidance of the manufacturer.
    upload_2022-9-8_8-47-25.jpg

I'm of the opinion that it is a design issue, not install issue. If the channels the bearings roll in needs a rise, it should be built into the rail. Or, where the side rail attaches to the canister it should attach with the rise built in there instead of attaching square. Or, the brackets that hold the rail should attach securely to both side of the rail and have an adjustment bolt/screw in how it is mounted to the utility rails that provides controlled adjustment of the angle.

You can also see the c-clamp should have more clearance over the small ridge below the nylon screws, because if the side rail is appropriately far from the side of the truck the clamp hit that part of the side rail and pulls the side rail down (eliminating the rise). In order to avoid that contact the side rail would be need to moved out farther, but then the rails would not be parallel and the problem whack-a-mole out in other ways.

upload_2022-9-8_9-8-27.jpg

As a result of all of this the channel (where the water collects) is basically level. Then the bottom of the aluminum rail of the cover is right on the small lip, breaks the surface tension in that spot, and the water just starts to pour in. This happen when the truck is just parked level (most parking spots) with static water on the cover (not high pressure water at the rails or anything like that).

I don't want to be too negative about it, but I do think I've given it a solid chance and it just doesn't seem to fit my truck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
  15. Sep 8, 2022 at 7:02 AM
    2020Platinum

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    Yea absolutely, I can definitely see why you’re ready to throw in the towel!…only thing I’m noticing is the clamp, I would try one more thing…I have my clamps up against underside of the rails, literally push them up and tighten them down while holding them up against underside…I can see a little gap (looks like it anyway, a little hard to tell in pic)…just trying to think of anything to help ya, I’ve installed 4 of these covers on 4 different trucks of mine and never had that issue…but totally get why you’d be ready to trash it!…I can post a pic of my clamps if ya want, but I included the “small gap” that I’m referring to on your clamp…you can even call me if ya want, I’m happy to try to help (and no, I have no affiliation with Retrax….lol)…it’s kinda hard to explain in txt, but let me know if I can help in any other way, good luck man!

102EC6BB-2DE9-45B6-8EC2-8A9528E5F6F3.jpg

ryanwgregg likes this.
  16. Sep 8, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    22TrdNoob

22TrdNoob New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Thanks for the suggestion! I re-installed making sure those mounting brackets are right at the top of the channel in the side rail, while again pushing & "twisting". It is actually surprisingly better than I have seen so far (almost to the point of what I originally expected). Thanks!

I actually crawled into the bed and had my wife close me in while doing a water test and noticed a couple things. Most of what is left is water streaming in at the back corner. I can probably manage that, despite it being worse than I expect.
    upload_2022-9-8_20-55-22.jpg

The more surprising thing to me that I realized while in there are that there are a handful of panels (maybe 4 or 5) that have little screws in them and one of them in particular is leaking a steady drip from the screw (this is towards the end, but before the side rail). I've also noticed a few scrapes on the underside of a couple of the panels that I wouldn't expect in a brand new cover. Sorry for the quality of these screenshots... the videos are far more compelling, but don't share to the forum well.
    upload_2022-9-8_20-59-54.jpg

Now I'm kind of wondering if I just got a lemon in addition to the design challenges.

17. Sep 8, 2022 at 7:30 PM
    2020Platinum

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    No prob, glad it helped ya!…I agree, looking at those pics it definitely looks like something isn’t right from the factory…I would send them those, especially the pic of the screw leaking!…I’ve never seen that before, and that’s clearly not anyones fault…that looks like poor quality control on their end…hopefully they’ll realize something isn’t right and take care of ya!

18. Sep 8, 2022 at 8:41 PM
    Donas

Donas New Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra Platinum
    I'm thinking you got a defective cover. From what I have seen several places online, I am surprised Retrax isn't shipping you a new cover; that is a ridiculous amount of leaking! I have the same cover on my truck and agree with you, I think the rail design definitely needs a redesign. I can run my truck through a car wash and get only a few drips on the sides from high pressure water. The only thing that puzzles me is I often get 5-6 drips in the middle of the bed. I assume these are running across the bottom of the cover from the tracks. Nevertheless, nothing compared to what you are experiencing.

My patience would be well past done if I was you. Retrax would have a cover on the way to me or someone would be getting that one back! The Retrax is the fourth cover I've had on my truck, LOL. I guess I'm hard to satisfy. Good Luck!

19. Sep 9, 2022 at 1:41 PM
    JohnnieBoy

JohnnieBoy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Army DC 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 Method 316's on 275/70/18 Ko2's NYTOP bumper w recovery's Leer 100XR
    Hey all,
    As stated in my previous reply, I installed the tonneau temporarily whilst waiting for my Leer to arrive. Welp, it has arrived, which means I have a gently used tonneau cover for sale. I'm in San Diego and would entertain a meet anywhere between San Diego and Los Angeles, off of the 405 freeway... If in LA, let me know where. Cheapest it can be had for new is $325, shipped with tax (I paid $400). How about $250. Sorry, I wont ship it.20220615_100000.jpg

=JSG= likes this.
  20. Sep 10, 2022 at 4:53 PM
    Point Man

Point Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 MGM
    Guys: I will freely admit that I have not read ALL 30 pages in this thread but have read a bunch of posts. I have also looked online and I think have boiled it down to 3-4 options for a Tonneau Cover and wanted to ask y'alls opinion. I think any of the these would be a good option but y'all have more experience with this than me. The ones I am considering are:

BakFlip G2 Aluminum
    BakFlip F1 Reinforced Composite
    BakFlip MX4 Aluminum I see a lot of these mentioned
    Weathertech Aluminum

This will be 2022 1794 MGM with Crew Cab and 5.5' bed.

Thanks guys.

21. Sep 10, 2022 at 7:30 PM
    Donas

Donas New Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra Platinum
    All I can add is I tried a F1 and it leaked really bad across all the seams. Bak customer service was great and sent me a second one; unfortunately, it leaked just as bad. I fully understand tonneau covers aren't water tight, but any cargo in the back would be soaked since they both leaked all the way across.

22. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:12 AM
    Point Man

Point Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 MGM
    Thanks for the input. Was it across the seals front and back or all the way around? Do you think it was bad seals or maybe just a bad design? Was it a difficult install?

23. Sep 11, 2022 at 3:57 PM
    kilocharlie106

kilocharlie106 mmmm Bourbon

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in LR
    Waiting on weathertech to come in. I’ll update once installed

Unitdosed likes this.
  24. Sep 11, 2022 at 4:58 PM
    Point Man

Point Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 MGM
    10-4

Unitdosed likes this.
  25. Sep 13, 2022 at 6:16 AM
    SantanaRealtruck

SantanaRealtruck New Member Vendor

Member:
    For anyone interested in seeing how a soft tri fold is installed with the deck rail, our media team did a video showing the Extang Trifecta 2.0 being installed on the 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sWaACjDUpM

26. Sep 14, 2022 at 4:49 PM
    kilocharlie106

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in LR
    Ok got the @Weathertech cover today. Install was pretty straightforward. I like it but the real test is when it rains, but the no water drains keeping water out of bed seems beneficial. I wish it didn’t have raw aluminum edges. Seems well built.

ADF7F15A-0904-49BE-8ABF-C78A4F2882D1.jpg
    DCA8F328-9113-4B2E-9807-E77C14C5FC18.jpg
    45735770-9597-4BE3-9638-8B910019CAA8.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  27. Sep 14, 2022 at 5:38 PM
    Point Man

Point Man New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 MGM
    Looks good. Did you have to remove the bed rails? Pics of the rails and clamps please?
    Do you think a careful paint of the raw edge with black would work?

28. Sep 14, 2022 at 5:48 PM
    kilocharlie106

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in LR
    I’ll take pictures tomorrow of the bed rails. You pick option with or without. You can still use them with cover installed. Mounting clamps use the rail for installation.

Point Man likes this.
  29. Sep 16, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    Unitdosed

Unitdosed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 Celestial Silver SR5, CREW CAB TRD OR 4X4
    None, yet
    Would you be willing to take one for the team and use the hose instead of waiting for rain?
    Looks great.

30. Sep 16, 2022 at 4:46 PM
    Unitdosed

Unitdosed New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 Celestial Silver SR5, CREW CAB TRD OR 4X4
    None, yet
    How does this holdup against rain?

To Top