1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2020 Tundra Excessive tick/knock

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by agenaille, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Mar 9, 2020 at 5:58 PM
    rt_tundra_co

rt_tundra_co I'll get tired of tweaking this truck...never

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '15 SR5 CM TRD
    Magnaflow cat-back exhaust Leer Topper, color matched to truck Thule Aeroblade roof rack on topper FABTECH 4” Suspension Lift Decked Storage, 2 drawer SPYDER LED headlights and taillights kits Hertz HDP5 5 Channel Class D Amplifier 2 x 10” subwoofer boxed behind rear seat Door speaker upgrades by Elite Auto Sound Colorado Springs Lock’er Down EXxtreme Console Safe LD2043EX Lock’er Down rear seat 3 x safes Lock’er Down gun magnet 80 LED in-grill light bar Baja Designs LED ditch lights TRD Pro grill Rotiform SIX-OR 20x9 wheels 35x12.5R20 Toyota Open Country R/T tires TheSource sPOD power control hub with in-cab installed accessory switches Firestone Ride Rite air suspension system with Air Command remote, on board compressor and rear bumper air port SDHQ rock sliders
    There is your bottom line. You'll probably have to put a bunch of time into getting them to wade in and deal with this issue. Good luck and I hope you end up in the right spot for your investment!

2. Mar 9, 2020 at 6:15 PM
    agenaille

agenaille [OP] New Member

Member:
    That’s kind of offensive man. This is a brand new truck which I paid $50k for. Do I not deserve excellence? I suppose I should just roll over and let them give it to me. I’m not anal, I expect excellence out of the most reliable truck on the market, and I didn’t get that.

MaxMB and Uhhhh.... like this.
  3. Mar 9, 2020 at 6:19 PM
    agenaille

Member:
    For the record everyone, I love this truck! I even slapped on a $2k bed cover, an under the bumper bed step, a rhino liner, and a rear sway bar on it after I bought it. The truck is great, and because I plan to keep the truck a long time, I want it to run great. That’s all I’m seeking, a good running, long lasting vehicle. And for the record, common sense should tell all of us, a clunking sound in your engine is metal on metal colliding. That isn’t good, and it will never get better.

4. Mar 9, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    Preach. I've never found sticking my head in the sand to be a very good method of keeping things running well. "If you ignore it, it will go away" isn't a good mantra to live by, esp for your $50k truck.

MaxMB and agenaille[OP] like this.
  5. Mar 10, 2020 at 12:26 AM
    Flightmech65

Flightmech65 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bucks County, PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Crew 1794 & 2016 SR5
    TRD duals and cold air
    Mine has been doing the same on and off for about 2 months. Changed the oil and it quieted but came back. Just hit 75k on my 2015 and I don’t tow or dog the crap outta it. It’s my fancy truck 1794 and it never sounded like this off the lot CPO from Toyota.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/KNWDURcAjsDL2w737

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  6. Mar 10, 2020 at 1:53 AM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    I talked to a Toyota master mechanic about ticking sound ... He said it's a big engine with lots of moving parts and it's normal ... When I bought my new '16 it sounded like a diesel truck. One neighbor asked if I had bought a diesel. lol
    I think over the years either it got smoother or I got used to it :D but I think it sounds more refined now.

7. Mar 10, 2020 at 6:29 AM
    agenaille

Member:
    my thing with that is, Chevy and Dodge make just as large and/or larger engines with lots of large moving parts and I hear these vehicles start up in parking lots and such. They don’t have lifter tick like mine. I think everyone really needs to hold Toyota’s feet to the fire on this one.

8. Mar 10, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    Sorry, but a ticking sound isn't "normal." Proof enough is Toyota fixing my ticking sound under warranty by replacing all lifters and cam gears on driver's side. If it was normal, they'd say "oh, that's normal." They wouldn't approve a warranty repair. As OP said, this is metal contacting metal in a way that it shouldn't.

9. Mar 10, 2020 at 7:45 AM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    If I felt like it was an abnormal engine sound I would document it with the dealer, and if I felt I couldn’t live with it I would get an independent mechanic opinion it. Once that was done I would contact the corporate office.

Arguing with people about whether it’s acceptable or not is pointless. It’s your truck, your money. Was this noise not there when you test drove it?

TTund16, Cpl_Punishment and Jaypown like this.
  10. Mar 10, 2020 at 7:51 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    Apples and oranges.

Chevy and Dodge v8s are single cam with hydraulic roller lifters... sixteen, to be exact.

Your engine is a quad cam with 32 roller cam followers with hot lash adjusters. Twice as many moving parts in the valve train.

TTund16 and Dirt Dawg like this.
  11. Mar 10, 2020 at 7:52 AM
    d4ivg3i2j

d4ivg3i2j New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    All I've got to add is dang man, 5600 miles already?!

TTund16 likes this.
  12. Mar 10, 2020 at 9:01 AM
    Hostage81

Hostage81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SMJ
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Off Road
    Stock
    So let me get this logic straight :monocle::monocle::monocle:

Let’s open up a brand new engine from the factory with a WHOPPING 5600 miles because “I” think it doesn’t sound right (Tik) when I am not a mechanic and a Toyota master mechanic told me that everything was tip top !!

To make matters worse, I’ll assume that the noise will go away after it’s rebuilt or that I won’t have other issues resulting from engine being taken apart :monocle::monocle::monocle:

You’re playing with fire man when your truck just sounds like an honest truck. No pun intended.

Can someone please explain to me what “Excellence” means with respect to this truck. To my peasant understanding, I thought perfection is a subjective notion that’s unattainable;however, in the pursuit of it, one can develop and progress.

First world problems I tell you

13. Mar 10, 2020 at 9:11 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    How bout if a Toyota master mechanic says it doesn't sound right, and the Toyota master mechanic says it needs to be opened up, and the Toyota master mechanic is the one who opens it up and does a repair.

Nobody here but you is saying to go against the advice or diagnosis of Toyota. A Toyota mechanic told you it's normal. Congratulations. A Toyota master mechanic told me that it wasn't normal in my case. Congratulations to me. In both cases, follow their advice or get another opinion.

Nobody is saying taking it apart won't cause more issues. Of course there is risk. There is also risk not getting it repaired. Does that sound logical?

You should probably get a dictionary and look up the difference between excellence and perfection. Different words usually have different meanings.

Get over yourself. If you're just going to bitch and moan and complain about the opinion of others, when no one else here is bitching or moaning but only asking advice, then just move on. No one needs your pissy attitude.

MaxMB, Ruggybuggy and agenaille[OP] like this.
  14. Mar 10, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    Hostage81

Hostage81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SMJ
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Off Road
    Stock
    What wonderful entertainment :)

“If” is a small part of your reasoning, yet it yields an infinite amount of outcomes hence producing confusion amongst all things. All I’m saying is going based on evidence is best course of action. There is no evidence here. Not anecdotal or empirical.

Secondly, OP did the right thing and raised his concern and documented it with the dealer. He has warranty, it is documented and mind you it’s new. Should anything arise even after warranty, you have legal standing as you documented the matter long ago.

What adverse risk is there by following what the dealer suggested after the matter was documented. There is still roughly 30k mileage remaining from factory warranty where he can drive it and see if anything happens. And should something happen, document it at dealer again. You’re shopping for answers my friend and looking for someone to agree with you. You as in Uhhh not OP.

So explain to me what excellence means in relation to this exercise ? How does one go about asking for excellence when interacting with a dealership. Is your version of excellence same as mine ? Because if it’s not , then the word can mean multiple things which is my point and adding to this confusion. Again this is for Mr Uggg not OP

look for the record, I’ll be first to admit I don’t know shit about shit. I have nothing against anyone and I commend this open dialogue and OP for bringing up his legitimate concern. But this is planet earth my friend. And part of being an adult is learning to hear what you don’t want to hear and what others have to say. Learn to let small things slide. Believe me it works. Again this is for Mr Uggg not OP

This is a forum where people can mix comedy, sarcasm, knowledge and what have you to make the site entertaining. If you want to be part of the Borg, watch reruns of Star Trek.
    Again this is for Mr Uggg not OP

tttrdpro and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  15. Mar 10, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    All I can say is we spend a lot of money on new trucks today and if mine sounded like I’d have it back into the dealer as soon as I could to have it checked

16. Mar 10, 2020 at 9:54 AM
    YsoSeRiouS!

YsoSeRiouS! A good day...for a good day

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    2019 White Platinum CM
    I noticed mine once I got my first oil change at the dealer. In the beginning I notice it more when parked in the garage but It has quieted down from the first few days after the first oil change and it drove me nuts when I first noticed it because it wasn’t there before the oil change at the dealership.( I assumed it was heat shield at first too). I have 9k miles now but my oil change was around 7k

17. Mar 10, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    Dude, I don't have a prob with differing opinions. I don't need anyone go agree with me. I frankly don't care if no one agrees with me.

My first post on page one, I said I didn't read every previous post, before saying I had a similar ticking sound. I went back & read OP's other posts and saw where he took it to Toyota. Good for him. They said it's normal. That's good, too. But he's still not convinced, and that's ok as well, so he should take it to a different dealer for a second opinion. I stand corrected, and think your point is legit that he heard from Toyota mechanic. But he can still think otherwise & go for another opinion...which is what I'd do. I think most would agree that manufacturers will often try to get out of warrantied repair.

"Secondly, OP did the right thing and raised his concern and documented it with the dealer. He has warranty, it is documented and mind you it’s new. Should anything arise even after warranty, you have legal standing as you documented the matter long ago." Agreed.

"What adverse risk is there by following what the dealer suggested after the matter was documented. There is still roughly 30k mileage remaining from factory warranty where he can drive it and see if anything happens. And should something happen, document it at dealer again." The risk is that something could be made worse than if it were fixed upfront. Regardless of whether Toyota has to fix it. Of course they do. But...the prob can still be made worse. Why would anyone want to risk additional complications / potential failure just because Toyota will have to fix it? He'll be out of a vehicle while it's in for repair. Maybe it won't ever be quite right again. It's $50k. Not $5k.

Regarding excellence & perfection. OP says he expects excellence. That's not the same thing as perfection. Yes, excellence is subjective. Case in point is this thread & disagreement between you & OP. You deem his problem fits within your parameters of excellence. That's fine. So if this was your vehicle you'd live with it & you're free to. But it doesn't fit into his parameters of excellence. So be it. He doesn't have to agree with you. Are you sure I'm the one looking for someone to agree me?

My main gripe isn't your opinion, or that you don't agree. Yes, my main gripe is your pissy sarcasm. Your post that I replied to was condescending. It's just unnecessary. If you don't like what other's think, just move on. Why get like that? Nothing is accomplished. Can you say those sort of things? Obviously. Should you though?

Are you sure I'm the one that wants to be part of the Borg? You're also pushing back on me for not agreeing with you. Sounds a little hypocritical. You have no idea what I do or don't "let go." I'll confront what I want to confront. Don't confuse my confrontation here with a lifestyle of not letting things go.

And I'm done. Bless you, my friend. No ill will towards you at all.

MaxMB likes this.
  18. Mar 10, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    TundraLaw

TundraLaw New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    24 limited hybrid offroad
    I've had two tundras, and both made that noise. You're dreaming if you think Toyota is going to take the truck back, or do anything about the noise. Sounds like a good truck engine. No easy way out bud.

Hostage81 likes this.
  19. Mar 10, 2020 at 10:31 AM
    Hostage81

Hostage81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SMJ
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Off Road
    Stock

God bless you too. I don’t wish ill towards you either. I would invite you for a beer if you were closer.

Forgive me for coming across wrong. I come from a big family and played sports all my life. So we are always chirping at each other kind of like locker room talk because we all love each other. It’s not personal or to hurt anyone.

Not my intention to offend you or anyone.

CaptainGrumpus and YsoSeRiouS! like this.
  20. Mar 10, 2020 at 10:36 AM
    unclebeejo808

unclebeejo808 New Member

Member:
    Oahu
    The problem is that op is asking for input, but then he disagrees with everyone that doesn’t see it the same way as him. Why even post it if you’re not open to what other have to say? I think he was hoping everyone would agree that he got a lemon, then he would go back to the dealer and show them this thread and they would immediately take back the truck.

21. Mar 10, 2020 at 10:36 AM
    Hostage81

Hostage81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SMJ
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Off Road
    Stock

I’m kidding

22. Mar 10, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    And I would happily accept that brewski. *Hugs* lol We're good brother. :cheers:

YsoSeRiouS! likes this.
  23. Mar 10, 2020 at 10:43 AM
    Hostage81

Hostage81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SMJ
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Off Road
    Stock
    Thanks for accepting :))

Sending you a virtual beer :cheers:

24. Mar 10, 2020 at 10:46 AM
    Cavalrysr5

Cavalrysr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra cavalry blue sr5
    I bet they do too.... LOL chevy's are notorious for lifter tick and piston slap.

25. Mar 10, 2020 at 11:30 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I think the Hemi Dodges have lots of problems with lifter tick too.

TTund16 likes this.
  26. Mar 10, 2020 at 12:05 PM
    Tundra_power

Tundra_power New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maybe put 5w20 instead of 0w20. Both are reccommend to me anyway i have an 08 5.7 and when i put in 0w20 its alittle louder than 5w20 synthetic. Your engine will quiet down over time. If there was something wrong like lifter tick or metal on metal contact, something would of happen already. Everything is mechanical which means everything is in rhythm and therefore if there was a metal-on-metal contact your engine would be toast. But that rarely happens, drive it with confidence you have a warranty to back anything up if something happens which i doubt.

27. Mar 10, 2020 at 1:15 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    btw, the master mechanic I talked to was retired if it matters ... I was also going to mention to use a different oil like Red Line one time but didn't want to go there for obvious reasons. lol

It would be nice if op can get a much longer video from different angles e.g. top of engine with the hood open, left, right, inside the front wheel left/right, etc.
    Preferably somewhere more open with no echo and 2 videos with cold & warm engines.

when I first bought my car, I went to all corners listening to the engine because of the ticking sound and out of curiosity ... I also compared with co-workers ... As I mentioned mine got more refined or less pronounced ticking after a while. iirc after 7-8 months ... break-in period maybe?!

Longer video should help.

agenaille[OP] likes this.
  28. Mar 10, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    agenaille

Member:
    Thanks everyone for your replies and opinions. The sound does bother me, and it seems to have gotten worse in the 5,600 miles since I drove it off the lot.

One thing I’ll say is, I figured this community would be more supportive. If we know some of these trucks make this noise and some don’t, we as consumers should stick together and hold Toyota accountable. There really is nothing to gain by protecting the Toyota brand. After all they aren’t struggling to make billions in revenue each year. In that regard, a “deal with it” attitude is quite submissive and frankly, embarrassing.

At any rate, I’m going to take some steps to see if they will fix it.

First, I’m switching back to stock exhaust. Why? I’m entertaining the idea it could be an exhaust leak. The dealer installed a TRD performance exhaust on this truck, and it was on it when I test drove it. The truck is EXTREMELY loud, way louder than my friend’s truck which has the Borla aftermarket exhaust. Yes, different exhaust, but again mine is at least 10 times louder than his cat back. Because it is so loud, perhaps it does have an exhaust leak, which may cause the clunking noise too. Putting the stock exhaust back on, we will be able to tell if there is an exhaust leak, if the truck is still significantly louder than other stock trucks.

Will let ya know how it goes.

MaxMB and CaptainGrumpus like this.
  29. Mar 10, 2020 at 1:34 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    We’re supposed to hold Toyota accountable for an issue with your truck, for a noise it was making prior to you buying it?

Got it.

Guess I’m submissive.

30. Mar 10, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    agenaille

Member:
    How do you know it was making it prior to me buying it, and since when does someone buying a brand new vehicle with a defect make it their fault? Nice logic.

MaxMB likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top