1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2019 5.7 trans cooler location

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jcop1, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Oct 7, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I was talking to a friend and he said the cooler being used looks like like a counterflow chiller. Tubing inside of tubing flowing in opposite direction. The hottest of the transmission fluid first meeting the coolest of the radiator coolant.

I thought that was interesting. Thought I would share.

I think you might could put something in between this cooler and the transmission and redirect the output of the ATF to an air cooler and back.

2. Oct 7, 2019 at 7:39 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    Yeah, if the trans is missing the plugs for the ATF to run to the previous style cooler, thus you can’t retrofit it, then maybe 19s could add a separate dedicated radiator for the coolant that runs to the trans. Has anyone traced the lines to see if that coolant comes from the engine or radiator to see if it’s cool or already hot by the time it gets to the trans?

I’d rather have the actual ATF running through a cooler though.

3. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I agree with you here. I would think it would be better to run the fluid itself to the radiator instead of just relying the small cooler/coil they are using alone. You would have more surface area for heat dissipation.

The coolant should remain a constant temperature. There just isn't enough of surface area to remove enough of the heat.

4. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:10 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I think I was wrong about retrofitting. I went back and looked at all of it again and the part missing does fit between the oil cooler and transmission. In previous models, if the transmission didn't have the external air cooler it had a spacer. I bet if you could put in the old part and it would let you run the ATF fluid to an external air cooler. I believe the part needed already has a thermostat. Would just need to retrofit an aftermarket cooler.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

Here is the part # needed.

https://parts.toyotaofcoolsprings.c...9dHVuZHJhJnk9MjAxOSZ0PXNyNSZlPTUtN2wtdjgtZ2Fz

Thermostat Unit - Toyota (32970-34030)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Rica25 likes this.
  5. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:22 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
  6. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:29 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
  7. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    DirtE30

DirtE30 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 TRD PRO CM Midnight Black
    Under seat storage, MaxLiners, 295/70-18 G2’s, swing out tool box, Toyota tri fold, tailgate pop lock, remote start, bed lights, Intake Mod, TRD filter.
    Guys, you can pretend that’s a cooler all you want, but even Toyota’s own manual says otherwise... clearly stated in the AB60F tech manual to be a “warmer”. The fact is the 19 runs much hotter than the previous 12 years of the same drivetrain! Period. Detrimentally so. See attached pic.

C44B825F-25FD-4842-855F-722B8F6B77F1.jpg

ryanwgregg likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I have the 2015 Toyota service manual and it calls it an oil cooler. All the parts catalogs call it an oil cooler. Believe whatever you want. It's not a warmer. It is made to disapate heat.

It may warm the fluid on a cold morning but I doubt it does much of that. The heat is coming from the operation of the transmission.

From your own video you show the coolant cooler than than the ATF reading. Just how does it warm the ATF then?

What does the part number say it is?

sask3m likes this.
  9. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:43 AM
    DirtE30

DirtE30 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 TRD PRO CM Midnight Black
    Under seat storage, MaxLiners, 295/70-18 G2’s, swing out tool box, Toyota tri fold, tailgate pop lock, remote start, bed lights, Intake Mod, TRD filter.
    It’s called a warmer in their literature. I didn’t make that up.

It warms the trans fluid on cold starts much quicker that the trans itself can generate heat. That’s not rocket science. It’s no longer “warming” anything once the temps are up obviously.

Simple evidence in my video supports everything I’m saying. I’m not sure why you guys are being defensive. I simply want an actual explanation from Toyota engineering. The warmer has always been there in conjunction with a cooler. Plain and simple. It’s not “integrated” with anything else. It’s simply gone. The temps run higher because of it. Not complicated. I’m just calling a spade a spade.

Alex38 and Y0TA PR0 like this.
  10. Oct 7, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    You're selectively choosing literature. I don't know if your manual came from Toyota or not. I know what I have did. What I have..... calls it a cooler. It doesn't call it a warmer at ALL. All the parts catalogs call it a COOLER..... You refuse to admit this because you have an agenda. I don't have an agenda. I just like the raw truth.

I'm not a professional mechanic but I could be if I wanted to be. I gave it close to 30 years ago for something else. I know how vehicles operate.

Heat is generated by the transmission regardless of what you call a "warmer". The device is made to cool the transmission. All the other transmissions and trucks that were made without the tow package have a COOLER as well.

The ONLY THING THAT IS GONE is the AIR COOLER.

I agree that Toyota should make this clearer to previous owners expecting an external air cooler.

The same thing also happened back in 2010 when they integrated the air cooler with the AC Condenser. People complained back them too. I think this is probably worse but it happened then too. Heck I didn't realize when I bought my 14 that if the front coil gets a hole in it......... it would cost me close to $1000 for just the part because they made the change in 2010. I owned a 07 as well.

If Toyota answers......I'm betting that Toyota is going to say the transmission is operating within normal operating temperatures. I don't know whether to agree or not. I don't know what Toyota WS can handle. I've never tested it nor seen any heat tests conducted.

11. Oct 7, 2019 at 11:38 AM
    MSU Tundra

MSU Tundra Numerous rodeos experienced

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra and 2013 LC200
    S5 and would downshift to 4th at times.

TTund16[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 7, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    MSU Tundra

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:

I'm sure mine would pass that test. It took an hour and a half for my temp warning to come on.

Consequently, I'll be changing my transmission (and diffs) fluids at 50k miles.

TTund16 likes this.
  13. Oct 7, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    MSU Tundra

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    Well that's not acceptable. I should be able to go the speed limit while towing only 60% of the trucks towing capacity without the transmission overheating.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  14. Oct 7, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Newbie here: could you please elaborate on why you wouldn't expect the transmission to heat up in 4th or 5th but you would in 6th?

15. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    My comments were more geared towards towing. However in general:
    In 6th gear, the torque converter may unlock frequently if speed is changing (e.g. accelerating) or going a little uphill and that's what heats up the fluid. In 4th it will stay locked (no fluid coupling) more often and doesn't produce as much heat. iirc, the om recommends towing in S4 as well. S5 is inbetween and if you are on flats the torque converter typically stays locked. The higher the gear, the more unlocking and then locking to generate more power if accelerating or going uphill, etc. That happens even more frequently if towing.
    Google torque converter lock/unlock for better explanation.

16. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:37 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    Some of the aftermarket tunes help to gearlock in higher gears. I know Bulldog does.

TTund16[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I'd be pissed if it came on at all. I can't remember..... what did the dealer say? They should be able to pull the warning from the ECU.

18. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    dont all auto trans have coolers built into the radiator, and we had an auxiliary one mounted in front of the radiator?

19. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    One thing regarding "atf cooler" or "atf warmer" depending on which manual ... maybe semantics ... I call it heat exchanger and it transfers heat both ways. The floor will be the coolant temperature ... but I'm not an expert. :D

However, heat exchanger is not as effective or can never be as effective as air cooler (atf radiator).

Eric32444 and sundance like this.
  20. Oct 7, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    sundance

sundance New Member

Member:
    I can agree to a degree.... ;)

It spends the vast majority of its time cooling. I just believe it is wrong to make the argument no cooling is taking place.

I believe it could be just as effective or more ........if it were larger. You should effective make it so the ATF would never be hotter coming out of the cooler than the coolant itself. This unit is rather small in comparison to the actual volume of ATF being cooled.

21. Oct 7, 2019 at 2:19 PM
    MSU Tundra

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    It was only on for a few miles and then went off. Never came back on again. Haven't taken it to the dealer because it would be a waste of my time. I'll try to pull it up on my tech stream.

sundance[QUOTED] likes this.
  22. Oct 7, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    I see your pointe. Consider this: liquid to liquid exchangers are more efficienter than liquid to vapor. Hence, you can maintain the thermal transfer rate with a unit that is physically smaller.

23. Oct 7, 2019 at 5:00 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:
    i don't think Toyota is going to compromise the transmission system to save a few hundred dollars by removing the "cooler". No one is that stupid. lol

Tundras are well known for their powertrain!
    you would think they have probably tested it and know that the trans can handle the additional heat considering the improved syn fluids … let's not talk about a tiny mpg gain if any. ;)

Having said that, I know some may like a cooler running atf … change the fluid more often (like @50K) if worried and/or towing. what does the OM recommend? 100K? beyond that i wouldn't stress out … enjoy your new cars!

24. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:16 PM
    msbaugh440

msbaugh440 2019 limited, TRD package, cement

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra limited, TRD off road, Cement
    I disagree with a couple of the more recent comments and feel like people are talking without a full understanding of how this system works.

yes, liquid to liquid heat exchangers are more efficient than air to liquid, but not when the cooling medium is only 5 degrees F less than the ATF fluid, my 2019 transmission temps are 200-215F running empty with stock tires. This is just too hot and it was 50F outside all week. The cooler isn’t doing shit when the coolant coming into the transmission is 200F (0-10 F less than transmission temps). I live in Utah and have to tow a trailer up very steep grades at high altitude. I’m scared at what my transmission temps will climb to doing this, even in S4. It seems retarded to remove the air cooler that was on previous models. Just look at the temperatures and tell me why you still think this is fine. A previous post already mentioned that a high trans temp light came on in similar conditions to what I will need to be in.

Say whatever you want, but I will figure out a way to install the old thermostat with a big ass stacked plate air cooler in front of the radiator. We’ll see in a couple of years when these things start having issues who was right.

Tell me another thing. Has the transmission changed since earlier years? Why has this air cooler been necessary on all tow package models previously and all of a sudden it’s been removed on newer models when nothing else has changed? Some speculate cost cutting... seems like a valid thought considering Toyota is phasing out this truck and building a new one in 2021. Also we got a lot of new features so the money had to go somewhere, right?

I don’t think anyone here can answer my questions. Did the ATF fluid change for these year models? Is an ABF60 transmission rated for these higher temps all of a sudden? or is longevity not affected anymore? I don’t think anything has changed in the past 10 years with temp ratings on these transmissions so maybe a Toyota engineer with a real explanation, not a Toyota legal statement can help me understand

25. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    Dodger46

Dodger46 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Metallic SR5 Crewmax
    I would be satisfied if Toyota let me put the cooler on and not void the warranty. The air cooler or whatever you want to call it should have been there in the first place. Honestly I feel a little cheated. I think trusting Toyota is good up to a point. We all know what heat does to Transmissions.

I bought a truck specifically because it was proven. They should have left it alone. I don’t care about keyless entry, but I do care about longevity.

26. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:24 PM
    msbaugh440

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    x2

sask3m likes this.
  27. Oct 7, 2019 at 8:30 PM
    msbaugh440

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    CreekDweller, RPKEAN and TTund16 like this.
  28. Oct 7, 2019 at 10:34 PM
    pickeledpigsfeet

pickeledpigsfeet New Member

Member:
    Sierra Foothills, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra/14 FJ/ 90 SASed xcab
    Kings & Icons
    TIS shows WS fluid for 2019, but it has been wrong before. I have the 2018 external cooler plate in my shop and it looks to be a perfect fit on my 19. I wont actually do the whole swap till my warranty runs out as my dealer said it will void my warranty.

https://www.oempartstoyou.com/oem-p...9dHVuZHJhJnk9MjAxOSZ0PXNyNSZlPTUtN2wtdjgtZ2Fz

29. Oct 8, 2019 at 2:53 AM
    RPKEAN

RPKEAN New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    I’m following this thread as I too am curious why this was removed for 2019 and what the impacts are.

I bought a 2019 dinosaur since it’s proven to work for thousands of miles and my guess is this was removed due to a cost offset.

Not sure if I read the statement above correctly but did the fluid spec change to align with the hotter trans temperatures? If not, then some engineer must have justified that the air cooler was not making a significant impact (which does not seem to be correct based on actual experiences in this thread).

if several members are getting a trans temp warning while towing within limits Toyota may eventually do a TSB. Last thing Toyota wants to do is follow suit with the big 3 (as in cut costs sacrificing longevity).

this all said, if you trust yourself how to install a pre2019 cooler and are using genuine Toyota parts, what real risk is there to warranty? Looks like it’s a swap of a thermostat, hoses and the air cooler?

if anyone knows an actual Toyota power train engineer, now is the time to tag them in the thread.

30. Oct 8, 2019 at 5:24 AM
    blaserdude

blaserdude New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited Double Cab
    none
    The integrated cooler/condenser from pre 19 models will not work due to the change in Freon for the 19 year. This may have been a factor in not using an air cooler. One would need to install a separate cooler ala older models (B&M, etc.). The thermostat addition would be easy.
    bc

To Top