1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) Recall

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Wvmoonshiner, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Feb 23, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    71_340

71_340 The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    Had the first service done today and both recalls were addressed via software updates.

2. Feb 24, 2018 at 6:42 AM
    GoCboys

GoCboys New Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrewMax
    I too have recall according to the app (with my specific VIN). Called dealer to see if they were doing the software upgrade. Was told that they need to have my vehicle present to determine if upgrade is needed. What?! Recall is needed according to Toyota but dealership gets to decide whether or not I have it? Appointment scheduled for next week. Will let you know.

Wvmoonshiner[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 24, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    ChucklesToy

ChucklesToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Round Rock, TX
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Limited 4X4 Nightshade Blueprint
    BAK MX4, window tint, TRD skid plate
    When my '16 Platinum was on the list for the rear bumper recall, my dealer told me that they had to "verify" that it was needed and which one because there were two variants; luckily, they had ordered the hardware kit that I needed for another customer, but it was not used (they were in an accident, so their update would be handed as part of the repair). From what my dealer told me, the dealer doesn't "decide" whether it needs it, but they have to "verify" and to do that, they need to connect to the truck.

Another example: The first indicator of my truck being eligible for the IBC software update was my VIN and date of manufacture. Then, they needed the truck to verify which version of IBC software I had to determine if, in fact, the update was needed. My experience is that there seems to be some variability when software of parts versions are involved.

I hope this helps...my dealer is very good at taking care of these things...

4. Feb 24, 2018 at 12:41 PM
    T500

T500 # The Dark Side

Member:
    First Name:
    Alfie
    Neptune, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black
    Clean thus far. No recall

5. Feb 24, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    wigsplitter

wigsplitter New Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TSS Crew Max
    I got a letter over a week ago about this recall. I will take mine in when I get 5000 mile service done.

Wvmoonshiner[OP] and T500 like this.
  6. Feb 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    I saw the seat bolts recall as well. There are two distinct recalls going on. I'll dig up the other PDF later today and attach it to the first post of the thread.

Wvmoonshiner[OP] and Watt maker like this.
  7. Feb 24, 2018 at 2:34 PM
    Nike21

Nike21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CrewMax TSS 4X4 Black Beast
    Interesting. I don't see it either under Toyota owners on Toyota.com

8. Feb 24, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    I hope that appointment's with a different dealer.

9. Feb 26, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    DMG85

DMG85 New Member

Member:
    SW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 CM MGM Tundra TRD Sport
    UnderCover Elite, TRD Exhaust, N-Fab Podium Steps, XPEL PPF, RCI Skid Plate, VLEDS, Krown Rust Protection, SDHQ ABS Guards, POP N’Lock, Front Window Tint, Air Flow Accelerator, Stubby Antenna, A-Pillar Handle, LED Side Step Lights
    Took the truck in this morning for the recall. They said my truck did need the update. Took just over an hour.

10. Feb 26, 2018 at 11:23 AM
    Wvmoonshiner

Wvmoonshiner [OP] 2020 T4R Venture SE

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2020 T4R Venture Midnight black
    Had the software update done for the recall this morning. Now have to wait and see if it took care of the problem.

757TUNDRA and GoCboys like this.
  11. Feb 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    poheller

poheller 2018 Platinum

Member:
    First Name:
    Scot
    The great state Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 platinum
    So, if I used my Bully Dog to program my computer will I have to go in and change it back to stock before I go in and get a software update? On my Chevy I would go in and restore to factory and after the update copy new update and reprogram computer.

12. Feb 26, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    SmokeyTT

SmokeyTT Smokey The Tundra

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Off-Road 4x4 Crewmax
    Just took mine in for this sensor recall. Took longer than expected and managed to get a nice courtesy corolla loaner with the Toyota logo and serial code stamped allover the body. Felt official... #carswag:notsure:

Wvmoonshiner[OP] and 757TUNDRA like this.
  13. Feb 27, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    February 20, 2018
    PLANO, Texas (Feb. 20, 2018) – Toyota Motor North America, Inc. today announced that it is conducting separate safety recalls in the U.S. of approximately 8,800 Model Year 2017 Tundra and approximately 65,000 Model Year 2018 Sequoia and Tundra vehicles.

Model Year 2017 Tundra
    In the involved vehicles with second row seats, there is a possibility that one or more of the bolts attaching the left rear seat to the floor may not have been properly fastened. A seat with improperly fastened bolts may lead to an increased risk of injury in the event of a crash.

For all involved vehicles, Toyota dealers will properly tighten the bolts at no cost to customers. All known owners will receive a notification by first-class mail starting in the middle of March.

Model Year 2018 Sequoia and Tundra
    In the involved vehicles, there is a possibility that a vehicle diagnostic function may unnecessarily turn off the Vehicle Stability Control System and affect other systems. If this occurs, warning lights and messages will be displayed, and a warning chime will sound. Turning off Vehicle Stability Control could increase the risk of a crash.

For all involved vehicles, Toyota dealers will update the software in an electronic control unit at no cost to customers. All known owners will receive a notification by first-class mail starting in the middle of March.

Information about automotive recalls, including but not limited to the list of involved vehicles, is subject to change over time. For the most up-to-date Safety Recall information on Toyota, Lexus or Scion vehicles, customers should check their vehicle’s status by visiting toyota.com/recall and enter the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Safety Recall inquiry by individual VIN is also available at the NHTSA site: nhtsa.gov/recalls.

For any additional questions, customer support is also available by calling the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1.800.331.4331 or the Lexus Guest Experience Center at 1.800.255.3987.

http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyo...a+recalls+certain+sequoia+tundra+vehicles.htm

14. Feb 27, 2018 at 3:40 PM
    Wvmoonshiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Well had the update done Monday and it didn’t fix the issue. Going back in the morning. This pic was taken this evening.
    F180364D-442E-4947-8846-9B260233F7E2.jpg

15. Feb 27, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    GoCboys

GoCboys New Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrewMax
    Appointment for mine on Thursday (sigh)

16. Mar 3, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    FSUTundra

FSUTundra Misplaced Texan

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 4x4 CM TRD
    Had recall JOH done today.

A few hours later I had the PCS go off to brake with nothing immediately in front of me. I do have the sensitivity to the highest as I have only ever seen it go off one other time. The dynamic cruise had worked fine on the way back from the dealer and LDA seems normal.

Hoping it was just a coincidental, situational fluke as I haven’t had any other TSS issues.

17. Mar 3, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    ShreveportTSS

ShreveportTSS Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2018 5.7 4x4 Crewmax TSS
    I got that warning while traveling back from Jonesboro, AR Thursday evening. Had to use my foot to maintain speed like a goddamn caveman. Went away after about 10 minutes and didn't happen again.

18. Mar 3, 2018 at 8:06 PM
    GoCboys

GoCboys New Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrewMax
    I had update done and all is good so far.

Btw (Austin people probably know this), Central Texas folks need to check out Toyota of Cedar Park. I was treated like royalty there even though I did not purchase my Tundra there and was just passing through town. Neal is the one who took care of me. Outstanding customer service!

Wvmoonshiner[OP] and Watt maker like this.
  19. Mar 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM
    bowhun2r

bowhun2r New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Steeler Nation
    You know... I've still NOT got delivery of my truck! I am running out of room to place my mods and hide from wife... but really.. I put a down payment in January and it will be two months today. My dealer tells me it's still in FI (freight inspection) and it's first come...first serve. Even if the truck is sold, they can't expedite it. I have the VIN and work order so I know it's completed...just sitting and waiting. A little aggravating. I have all these cool mods throughout my home and it would be very cool if I could actually put in some time and install them.

20. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:46 PM
    PNW_Husky

PNW_Husky New Member

Member:
    Great Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM Platinum
    My PCS troubles are still in full swing. Today the dealer called to tell me that the truck was ready and that they had realigned and recalibrated the radar sensor, and that the PCS light was no longer coming on. This is now my third visit to the dealer for this issue. I picked it up, and less than 500 feet after exiting the dealer, the light was back on. Immediately made a U-turn and returned to the dealer. They told me they will have to call Toyota Tech Services on Monday to see if they "can" order a new sensor, but that they need approval from Toyota first. I use my truck for work, and this is becoming quite the inconvenience. This is my first Toyota, paid over 50K for this truck, and I'm already losing faith in Toyota.

21. Mar 23, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    Have you tried not being a Husky fan to see if that fixes it??

I kid, I kid. :cheers:

Seriously, though, that sucks. Not sure how it is in WA, but 3 unsuccessful attempts at repair for an issue like this would be grounds for lemon law in OR.

22. Mar 24, 2018 at 4:12 AM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    I got a notice in the mail but I am not sure I want it "fixed". I havent had any problems so far and I dont want them to break it.

Spitfire and BuckWallace like this.
  23. Mar 24, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    Spitfire

Spitfire New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Limited Trd off road
    Debating same

BuckWallace likes this.
  24. Mar 24, 2018 at 9:30 AM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    I didn't have any problems before I had the software update performed from the recall and haven't had any problems after they did it a couple of weeks ago.

DMG85, Spitfire and BuckWallace like this.
  25. Mar 24, 2018 at 10:01 AM
    BuckWallace

BuckWallace Ball don't lie.

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Sierra 3500 AT4 Gasser
    I'm guessing it's more of a hardware issue than a software issue. I've heard of people having the entire sensor replaced and that fixing the problem, but who knows...

26. Mar 24, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    Wvmoonshiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    They ordered the sensor for mine 2 weeks ago. They are on back order but from what I’ve heard this fixes the problem.

27. Mar 24, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    757TUNDRA

757TUNDRA Not a New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Red Metallic Platinum 4x4
    OEM Bed Cover, OEM Bed Rail System, OEM Bedmat, OEM Doorsill Protectors, OEM TRD Rear Sway Bar, OEM Color Matched Door Handles, OEM Color Matched Mirror Caps, OEM Bed Net, OEM Driver Side Grab Handle, BFG K02 LT275/60/20, WeatherTech Digifit FloorLiners, Salex OCD Console Organizer, Salex Console Tray
    I think you're right. I asked my service mgr if they have had any come in with the issue and he said they had one (back in January) prior to the recall being released, and they had to replace the ECU and a couple of sensors. He said the customer hasn't been back or complained about it since then so they're assuming it took care of the issue. I read something a while back about Toyota receiving a bad batch of sensors at the factory and that may have caused the issue but I can't find the article anywhere now. Who knows. I just hope they figure it out soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top