1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 LED Headlight Highbeam Is Out.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by 619Tundra, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Aug 16, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    No aftermarket part failure at all, not sure where you’re getting that idea from. It was installation error that escaped detection on inital testing thanks to a “helper.” ;)

2. Aug 16, 2018 at 6:36 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Glad it's fixed! Thanks for updating us.
    Screenshot_20180816-213433.jpg

3. Aug 16, 2018 at 8:41 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    It wasn't the "AFTERMARKET" harness. It was an installation error.

NewImprovedRon and 619Tundra[OP] like this.
  4. Aug 16, 2018 at 8:46 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM CM Tundra
    Where did I say it failed? Not sure where you're getting that idea from? I said it was the AFTERMARKET part that was the source of the issue, not the OEM part failing.

5. Aug 16, 2018 at 8:54 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    You said it here...
    Neither part failed. It was an installation error

619Tundra[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 16, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM CM Tundra
    Fault and failure are NOT the same thing...

But it was for sure the installation of and aftermarket part that was the source...

7. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:04 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    It for sure was? How is it the harness the source? I'm just trying to understand your logic. Could it be that the 2018 OEM headlights going on a 17 that were the source? If the OP had plugged the harness in the correct way initially would the be any fault or failure? Or was it his "helpers" fault, who in my case would be my 6 year old daughter. I certainly wouldn't blame her. The OP isnt blaming anyone, nor was anyone else, other than you blaming the harness which isnt the issue at all. He just plugged it in wrong. a very simple mistake.

8. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM CM Tundra
    Harness was plugged in incorrectly (notice I didn't say the harness failed!) = source. Had nothing to do with the OEM LED headlight failing...which is what everyone was so quick to jump to or elude to ("I better buy an extra set", " halogen all day", "what a terrible design, no replacement LED bulb"...). I installed 18 headlights into my 17 with a harness I made myself. At first they didn't totally work correctly because I crossed 2 wires. What was at fault (not failed) there? The aftermarket harness I made. Had nothing to do with the headlights. Once I swapped the wires, everything was perfect.

Blame the harness or installation of the harness, NOT the headlight

9. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:20 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Or the headlight was plugged in incorrectly
    Nor the aftermarket harness failing

And Eric has an account of the OEM headlight failing.

There are ZERO accounts of any of @iHacker harnesses failing.

The fault here is .... well....you because you made it wrong. Once you did it the right way the harness was fine.

I don't get what you're trying to prove here.

OEM stuff does fail. @Erichudgins 18 light failed. It happens.

In the case of the OP's issue it was human error. If you are trying to say it's the fault of the harness, the only argument is that if the OP had not decided to upgrade the lights which require a harness, then this wouldn't have happened? I dont get it

Erichudgins and landphil like this.
  10. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:23 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    This is getting ridiculous. I’m out, as I have better things to waste my time on.

SR5SE and yosh2000 like this.
  11. Aug 16, 2018 at 9:25 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I want out too Phil. Just trying to figure out wtf the point is here. I dont understand.
    I think its trying to bash someone harness, maybe? Or maybe he is the CEO of Toyota and is butthurt someone said a Toyota part could fail? Not sure and doubt I'll ever understand

12. Aug 16, 2018 at 11:44 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Double Cab SR5
    Guys, guys, guys, it was my installation error. Not my helper's. I only had him notify me if all of the features on the new LED OEM lights worked while I turned them on. The harness is solid! The lights are the best you can buy. LEDs will outlast any bulb out there on the market. Again, I made a mistake plugging in the highbeam harness upside down.

landphil, Pudge and ldale like this.
  13. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    thomasbus337

thomasbus337 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    I've had a few occasions recently where I didn't have a "Hi DRL" and other times I didn't have a low beam, both issues were on the driver's side. Every time, I cycled the lights on and off a few times and it corrected itself. I'm still running the motocontrol relay harness setup, Would it be more likely an issue with the relay harness?

14. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:35 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    The high drl is coming from a different source. He low beam not coming on can be the Motocontrol. But since you are having two separate issues I would guess your problem maybe grounding issue or maybe the ground pin may be lose on the headlamp connector.

15. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    thomasbus337

thomasbus337 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    That’s my guess too, just hasn’t been happening enough to be able to take it apart to troubleshoot yet

16. Sep 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    619Tundra

619Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    San Diego, Caifornia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Tundra Double Cab SR5
    I don't know much about the wiring harness. You sir are the master engineer of my harness. My local dealer wanted to exchange the (bad) headlight and send it back to Toyota to research the problem.

17. Sep 2, 2018 at 6:56 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Swapping the headlight harness left to right also to see if the problem switches sides or stays on the same side. There’s also a slim chance the grounding wiring issue maybe internal inside the headlight. But you know what to check outside it first before condluding that.

If I were you I would make or buy the harness that doesn’t use the motocontrol for troubleshooting. That can isolate the problem.

18. Sep 2, 2018 at 10:19 PM
    iHacker

iHacker SW TRD PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO Super White CM
    2019 TRD PRO LED Headlights, 2019 TRD PRO Rigid LED Fog lights, All LED Interior, LED Cargo Lights, Bed LED Lights, Undercover Flex, Husky Weather beater floormats, FORTIN EVO ONE remote start, TDR Cold Air Intake, Tundra tail gate inserts, Pop & Lock...
    I heard about this same issue before, one guy who bought a harness from other source got one of the many I have seen without cavity plugs and even some had the plug but not the correct ones, water got in there and caused a short to the HI DRL same description as yours sometimes working sometimes not or flickering.

I know you made your own harness and is the initiator of this mod so you researched all the parts I doubt your harness is missing any of the cavity plugs but don’t hurt anyone to check that.

In the the harness mentioned before we found clear marks of smoke in terminals and connector so is clear there occurred a short, this was caused by water.

Is well known and If you ever checked any of the TRS harnesses (Motocontrol) they don’t use the seals correctly they don’t crimp the seals to the terminals they just slide the seals over the crimp and this can cause water intrusion over the time

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  19. Sep 8, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    thomasbus337

thomasbus337 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DC
    Found my problem, I had a bad seal on the 9006 female plug on the Morimoto end of the relay harness. It broke on me last night so I had no choice but to take it apart and find the problem. Unplugged the connector and it was full of moisture and corrosion was starting to set in causing a bad ground.

iHacker and Sas like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top