1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2018 JBL Premium Sound Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 71_340, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Mar 1, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    JoeJob

JoeJob Drummer for Booty and the Hoe Fish

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited CM Silver Sky
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    True that... That's actually how I got into car audio. My first car didn't have AC! I usually opt for AC anyway, but we'll see. I don't listen that loud anymore since the wife doesn't like loud music and I don't want to hurt the kid's ears, but there's that 5% of the time when you're feeling good and one of your top 10s comes on and you want to crank it.

Kwikfish likes this.
  2. Mar 1, 2018 at 9:30 AM
    Kwikfish

Kwikfish Get your poop in a group!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Tri cities,WA
    Vehicle:
    16 CM SSM
    Ive been looking into uograding my stock system,check out *********.ive heard nothing but good things about them from when i was on tacomaworld all the time

3. Mar 1, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    71_340

71_340 [OP] The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    You surely must have a different JBL Premium system in your truck then the rest of us. At any rate, congratulations on your new truck and a great sounding stereo.

Toyotoholic and smooosh like this.
  4. Mar 1, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    JoeJob

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    TRD rear sway bar, console organizer, stubby antenna, LEDs for cabin, cargo, license plate, and reverse lights, power-fold mirrors, Westin nerf bars, full stereo upgrade. Future - color-match grill surround/bulge, mirror caps, handles, plasti-dip badges.
    Thanks. I wouldn't call it a great sounding stereo, definitely not up to par with a solid aftermarket, but it's much better than I was expecting. I will probably be able to deal with it for a good while. I just have to figure out what I want to do when the time comes. Either purchase the OEM Audio + for $1200, or purchase a JL Fix and TWK and add that to my existing hybrid audio/JL equipment, or ditch the factory radio and put the 4000NEX back in.

Good news is I think I can deal with it and use some $$$ for Line X, remote start, and color-matched grill surround/bulge first.

71_340[QUOTED][OP] and NCinCO like this.
  5. Mar 4, 2018 at 10:23 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    :rofl:

Exactly what I was thinking!

The only solution to the Factory Premium Entune JBL, is the Garbage.

I'm pulling the HU, every speaker, every wire, and any label in the truck that is associated with the JBL junk!

Going in will be:
    Alpine HU/processor, Audison amps, Morel 3-way fronts, ADS (old school) 2-way rears, and JL Audio subs....

That should do the trick.:headbang:

Will post pics when done, just need time to install.

6. Mar 5, 2018 at 8:56 AM
    JoeJob

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    I have started to notice that when you crank the JBL on the highway, the bass gets louder and the mids/highs just start to get muddy. In fact, I don't even hear a difference when I adjust the mid EQ up or down.

I'm still torn on what to do. I like the look of the factory radio, but $1200 for the OEM Audio Plus is hard to swallow when I already have $1000s of dollars in equipment. I could put my 4000NEX in the dash and use my JL amp/sub and Hybrid Audio Unity speakers and only have to purchase an amp kit and an iDataLink Maestro. Or I could put the Unity speakers in the back and get a set of Clarus speakers for the front. Might still get a JL TWK so I can adjust the EQ on all four corners independently.

I think I need to Line X and de-chrome first. I just got the rear sway bar installed over the weekend. Haven't driven much to give it a real test, but it feels better already. Still waiting for National Grid to restore power to my street. Been feeding the generator since Friday night.

smooosh likes this.
  7. Mar 5, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    smooosh

smooosh This place costs me too much $

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Offroad Limited Crewmax.
    Ongoing project
    If you already have the aftermarket equipment use that. I cant see the OEM plus will come nowhere near the level of your aftermarket equipment. Its for a quick fix for those just happy with better then stock. (I have not heard the OEM but i can not see how it can make it better then your aftermarket.)

I really would like to hear the OEM and taco tunes systems. It sucks you have to order it without hearing it. I already changed out my system but it would have been good to have before so i could see if i could have spent less.

8. Mar 5, 2018 at 9:19 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    Just my 2 cents, it seems to me that the signal coming from the stock JBL HU in fm was very weak but sounded bettor playing Pandora, CD, or music from my phone. Now that i have installed the Phoenix HU i cant believe the sound from the stock speakers. With that said something is definitely FU with the foctory HU.

9. Mar 19, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Wifiwizard

Wifiwizard New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gibo
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Tundra Limited
    I too am quite dissappointed with the JBL system in my 2018. I am quite a music enthusiast and when I really want to crank it....blah, this system has no cajones!! I keep looking at the ********* setup but that too has a hefty price tag. Whatever I decide to do I am planning on having it done professionally by people that do this for a living and have all the proper tools (AND GUARANTEE their work). Would appreciate any suggestions. I have to believe there are others out there. I certainly don't want to just slap some add-on onto the JBL (GIGO).

10. Mar 19, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Yank everything out and start from scratch. Thats what your gonna need to do.

Toyotoholic likes this.
  11. Mar 19, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Like ive said B4 im satisfied with just adding the Phoenix Tesla head unit, it will get me by till 4th gen.

12. Mar 19, 2018 at 9:15 PM
    hguartundra

hguartundra New Member

Member:
    California
    hi, thinking about the audio plus with a new HU like the phoenix. any thoughts from ya'll? oh, new 2018 1794 tundra and new to this group...lots of good stuff. thanks all...

13. Mar 20, 2018 at 3:40 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    You know, if someone would like to make a good chunk of change they would take apart one of the stock head units and find out the reason why it's power is hamperd from the get go. From what i have heard up till the 2013 Tundra the sound system was alot bettor.
    If you read though this thread https://www.tundras.com/threads/android-headunit.16037/#post-341178
    I found that in the Phoenix head unit Amp Info adjustments that the Cur Vol from factory was set at 30. Being curious i started to increase it till it maxed out @ 64 . With it set at 64 the system really came alive. 20171208_035604.jpg

14. Mar 20, 2018 at 3:55 AM
    71_340

71_340 [OP] The German

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    FLW, MO
    I don't know anything about the head unit you are considering. I went the OEM Audio+ route because I do like the OEM head unit and for ease of installation; it was relatively expensive but I like the results. My understanding is that it is hard to improve the system while still keeping the OEM head unit that is why a lot of members go all out and start from scratch. It all depends what you are looking for, if you want really loud and extreme bass you probably have to start from scratch if you just want a good sounding system OEM Audio+ will work for you.

15. Mar 20, 2018 at 4:09 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
  16. Mar 20, 2018 at 4:22 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    And on another note, i have no problem mirroring my phone to the Phoenix Tesla.

17. Mar 20, 2018 at 4:54 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    What he said ^^^^^^^

18. Mar 20, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    hguartundra

hguartundra New Member

Member:
    California
    zpman, did you loose any oem functions from the factory to the phoenix head unit?

19. Mar 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    SiriusXM not with Phoenix and you won't have a CD player.

20. Mar 31, 2018 at 4:59 AM
    ardnutoz

ardnutoz

Member:
    First Name:
    OZ
    SE-PA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black TRD OR CM Limited
    These are my observations with the stock system.
    The JBL Premium sound is a bit weak and agree with what everybody mentions. I have this system in our Sienna and our Highlander and now the Tundra (Sienna is now the Tundra). Same issue 3 different cars. All 17s and 18 year model.

This is how ive been able to cope and get better sound out if the system.
    1.For each source (cd, bluetooth, fm, xm etc) you have to adjust the treble and bass as well as the fader, each car seems to have its own sweet spot to cope with it.

2. When your phone is the source it has to be cranked all the way up. For iphones do it before switching to bluetooth or plugging in the aux cable.

3. I recently started using the Amazon music app. This makes a huge difference. The other day we were on a long drive and had the fader almost full forward and were still getting bass from the woofer. Yesterday i tried it again but slid the fader like a bump and change towards the rear. I found on amazon music a song by chain smokers and coldplay called "something just like this" and it can drive the subwoofer nicely. Also you can try and find on that app michael jacksons "best of", some of the songs have been remastered and also drive the speakers very well i also had acceptable success with "todays hits" and grammy country and a hip hop channel. Mind you the volume will be in mid range while driving. I will try it with the engine off later and see what that sounds like.

21. Mar 31, 2018 at 6:10 AM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    the factory gain setting on the JBL amp is something like 60 or 70% - I changed it to 100% on mine via aftermarket headunit/iDatalink Maestro and the volume level is fine

22. Mar 31, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    smooosh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ongoing project
    Gain is not a volume knob. It is the level that distortion happens. If you turned it all the way up you could have distortion that is going to blow your speakers. You should run a distortion detector when adjusting the gain on an amp.

23. Mar 31, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    so since I'm not planning to spend $150+ on a distortion detector I would use one time, any recommendation on what to set gain to with factory amp/speakers?

24. Mar 31, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    Set them as high as it goes before distortion.

25. Mar 31, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    smooosh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ongoing project
    You can have distortion and not hear it.

I think you can test with a volt meter.

26. Mar 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    Look at the manual for your amp and there will be a target voltage you should hit. .

27. Mar 31, 2018 at 12:07 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways
    You need an ocilloscope to see the distortion. Disconnect the speakers and use a sine wave generator with the scope on the outputs. When it is not smooth, it is distortion. Back gains down until smooth. Done. Or use a good set of ears and a clean recording to do the same. I can hear distortion and phase cancellation throughout the entire range of the JBL system.... Especially the phase issues. Which is why it sucks and need be replaced anyway. Oh well. You can use a volt meter but you need a specific reference as to the max voltage available, and work back from there.

smooosh[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. May 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM
    gamester5

gamester5 New Member

Member:
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2020 Barcelona Red 1794 CrewMax 4X4
    Predator Tube Step in Black, Line X Bedliner, Full front 3M Clear Bra
    Like the rest of you I was very disappointed in the Premium JBL audio system in my 18' CM Limited. I came from a 2014 4Runner with the same JBL premium system and this one is about 40% less power, maybe even 50%. There has to be something wrong with software is all I can think of.

That being said day one I noticed a buzz in one of the speakers, like a "tear" in the paper. They said they found the tweeter on the drivers side to be not working correctly. Went to pick it up and noticed right away it was another speaker (or could have been both) was buzzing, it was the drivers door speaker. It would buzz on any kind of base. It was replaced and the buzz did go away.

Maybe Toyota cheaped out and went with lower quality speakers and had to "tone down" the stereo system to work with the crappier speakers?

Either way I'm still going to complain to corporate.

29. May 19, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    Colin71

Colin71 New Member

Member:
    I have a 18 crewmax and was horrified by the sound. If you are playing music through your iphone, take the following steps and you WILL be blown away:

Settings
    Music

Scroll to the bottom to the section called Playback and move Sound Check to off...that alone will make a world of difference-easily doubled my volume. Then, go to EQ and either turn it off or to bass booster...you WILL hear the bass then...

Not saying folks should not upgrade their stereo but WOW, these simple changes helped a ton... I have an 08 Vette with the premium Bose...well, the Tundra is now nearly on par...

Pudge likes this.
  30. Jun 29, 2018 at 10:29 AM
    bigD

bigD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustyn
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    I just purchased a 2018 crewmax limited with said JBL system. My wife has a 2016 limited 4runner and her JBL system rocks!!!!!

Any new news on this? Is there a fix? I turn to max volume and can carry on a conversation in the cab :(

Products Discussed in

To Top