1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen. Lunch Table - General Discussion

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by NUDRAT, Jan 18, 2020.

1. May 25, 2022 at 10:45 PM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4, 2005 RC 5MT Prerunner, 2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT
    The '05 Taco is a prerunner, the '02 Tundra is 4wd.

2. May 25, 2022 at 10:55 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I believe there is a 2lo for 2nd gen but not sure on how available it is. Needless to say, it won't do much on a prerunner (at least a stock one) :)

I do enjoy 2 low once in a while with the 3rd gen, but don't have many good reasons to use it. Wish I had more play time.

3. May 26, 2022 at 5:43 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
  4. May 26, 2022 at 5:45 AM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    So is your ‘17 your daily? How modified is it?

5. May 26, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yes… except I have a take-home for a couple of years, so I mostly drive the ‘17 once a week to an appointment. 34,100 odo.

Almost stock. I put on SDHQ sliders when I was wheeling it, and I ran the heck out of the OEM Michelins in the first 12k, playing aired down off-road, so I need to replace them but will probably go with same. I’ve got a bunch of stuff in the garage to put on… painted grill; corner covers; under-armour; but nothings made it onto the truck. Free time goes to Hulk. Aside from the crazy chrome front, I think it looks and drives great, and I like it as is.

FrenchToasty[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. May 26, 2022 at 6:52 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Lol! I love my ‘17 and wanted to convert it, but had no roadmap, and still have far fewer mechanical know-how and skills than you apparently do(!), so after numerous others on here told me I couldn’t get it done reasonably, I just bought a second truck. I’m working my way through your build thread now— super great contribution to the forum!

Sirfive and FrenchToasty like this.
  7. May 26, 2022 at 8:30 AM
    shifty`

shifty` The Second Shortcoming of Christ

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Ditto! That's impressive. Not sure how I missed it previously. Just reminds me, I need to get my damn reverse camera wired up already.

8. May 26, 2022 at 8:34 AM
    Sirfive

Sirfive Master Procrastinator

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    I’ve thought about hanging an olds bravada or chevy astro awd tcase under my 2wd s10 blazer and running a beefy starter/generator like those wanna be hybrids use for stop/start, off the front output. Theres no front diff or shaft or anything, but kick the pbrake disconnect rear driveshaft, put it in 3rd, and charge a stack of rebuilt prius batteries at just above idle. Be able to run unnessisaries for days, and could charge on the road. With beefy enough wires, it could probably throw a little weight for holding onto od lockup…but we’re quickly out of my wheelhouse by then.

charge the batteries while the radio song finishes, and charge while warming up. Have a charging port and cable hanging off the side, and charge the ev’s Parked next to you to charge their powerwheels.

5N0W808 likes this.
  9. May 26, 2022 at 9:11 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    :yes:
    :rofl:
    There’s a lot to unpack here.

5N0W808, KNABORES and Sirfive[QUOTED] like this.
  10. May 26, 2022 at 9:34 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Hah, you definitely do. It’s a large gain. I am stoked on mine. Big time.

11. May 26, 2022 at 9:38 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I'm going to make a point of knocking it out after upcoming travel that'll take me out of commission here. I've got the loom, Tesa tape, your DIR harness already installed ... and it's about to start getting hot af outside, and mosquito season just kicked off about 2 weeks ago. I need to get off my ass and get my amp and subs installed too. Have everything here and ready to go, except maybe a connector or two on the audio side. Nothing scAmazon can't get here in 24-48 hours.

Too bad I'm out of PTO right now. Maybe I can get it done while the kids are away for a couple weeks this summer.

12. May 26, 2022 at 9:41 AM
    Sirfive

Sirfive Master Procrastinator

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    not the first time ive heard that.

Sunnier[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 26, 2022 at 9:51 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Backup camera I think trumps audio. Heck, I've had rear only speakers in the Tacoma for a month now, despite 3-4 amps in boxes in the garage and all sorts of supplies. Having great tunes is sweet but having a backup camera is just super awesome sauce.

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 26, 2022 at 10:44 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Is anyone else having major issues getting scAmazon orders to arrive on time?

Had to order stuff for an oak in my yard with chlorosis, order same-day delivery.
    36 hours goes by, "sorry for delay" and it's been stuck at "at warehouse, waiting delivery" since 90min after order.

I've had this happen before, I usually get lucky on re-order, so I cancel and re-order for next-day delivery instead.
    Get to the next day, at 10am the order changes from 7am-11am today out to 5pm tomorrow, then tomorrow at 'before 11pm'.
    So I cancel it and drive to Ace Hardware and a local nursery to get the stuff I needed.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I'm working a small LV job and it's 95% done. I need a few odds and ends, some cat6, surface-mount keystone box, some cord concealer, 1-gang box extension. Order it on Amazon. I preferred same-day or next AM delivery, but 1 item is 2-day only. So I say "screw it, give it all to me 2-day" and proceed with the order, as long as it's here Friday morning I'm good.

That was 24 hours ago, right after lunch on Wednesday. I see nothing has shipped still, and they quietly changed the delivery from '7am-11am tomorrow' to "some time before 11pm". Anything after 1-2pm prevents me from completing the job and getting paid. So here I am canceling another order to hit two diff't stores and buy stuff.

At this rate, I'm going to be cancelling my Prime membership, Amazon is killing me, death by a thousand cuts. Sorta defeats the purpose if I can't pay extra to get things within the timeframe they promise. 2x in one week is garbage.

15. May 26, 2022 at 11:01 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    :rolleyes:

16. May 26, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    Sunnier

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yup, the scAmazon we all fell for is no more. Having completely changed the market, put many small-business competitors out of business, and routinely ripping off designs and undercutting the merchants that sell on the platform, they no longer have to offer same or next day. And because of the current shipping woes worldwide, what can we even expect…?

17. May 26, 2022 at 2:02 PM
    sflips

sflips New Member

Member:
    Middle Tn.
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC XSP
    I ordered a part from Serra Toyota of Decatur almost 3 weeks ago. Ordering was smooth and easy. One week went by and no update so I sent an e-mail, no response another week went by so I sent another e-mail. No response, I called today was told how busy and swamped they were from the sale in March and was told to send an e-mail.

I understand being swamped, slow and busy, But I don't understand no communication at all.

I'm going back to Toyota of Cool Springs. Roman's customer service is 2nd to none!

18. May 26, 2022 at 2:19 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I recently got 1 of my Serra packages and another should arrive today. I'm in no rush and don't mind the wait.

19. May 26, 2022 at 3:24 PM
    sflips

sflips New Member

Member:
    Middle Tn.
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC XSP
    I don't mind the wait, It's the lack of communication that drives me crazy

FirstGenVol and FrenchToasty like this.
  20. May 26, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    I'm guessing Serra is the closest online Toyota parts retailer for your area? I was fortunate that I could pick up the parts I ordered in person. There are two retailers in my area and I opted to pick up the items in person. I explained to the online parts manager that I was restoring my truck and he appreciated that and I believe I received special attention. He told me he has a 2005 DC and was amazed that every part I ordered/wanted was still available. He said there are many parts he wants to replace on his truck that are no longer available. I forgot to select local pickup on one order and found the wait time was longer. I was told that the process of receiving and then shipping the items out is laborious. I was also told that parts are sourced from all over the US, Canada and Japan. I wonder how much of an impact the trucker strike in Canada had.

During that big discount sale in March, I ordered upwards of 75-90 different part numbers which cost me in excess of $7k. Most of these parts were exterior and body related and I provided them to the paint shop to install after the world class paint job. I figured the parts won't be available forever so WTF...get 'em while you can! If I would have had to pay list price, which is what the paint shop would have charged me, I definitely would not have replaced as many items as I did. Grateful the paint shop let me provide the parts. I had the paint shop put the smaller old parts in the new parts packaging so I have (used) spares in the p/n packaging (if needed later). The larger parts are obvious. If nothing else, maybe I'll post on Fleabay at some point in my retirement years to pay for beer.

daveeasa likes this.
  21. May 26, 2022 at 5:00 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    Forgot to say that the online parts manager I dealt with said he's never seen a sale or order volume like this last one.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  22. May 26, 2022 at 5:11 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I almost wish I had bought more stuff. It was a solid discount.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  23. May 26, 2022 at 5:17 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I use them because they don't charge tax and you can usually get free shipping, and the percentage of discount they offer is higher than most other stores. But I think we may be overloading the one in Decatur AL, and may need to switch up to their Birmingham AL dealership at this rate - same discount, no tax, so hopefully similar deal. I literally think we're choking their asses out with orders and they may be too small to handle it. I dunno.
    This is true. I know @FirstGenVol got the tail-end of one part that was discontinued, he got one, they couldn't source a second.

Likewise, a couple of interior trim pieces I dug up parts numbers for from the exploded diagrams Toyota provides which were totally available a year or two when I posted the part number are discontinued.

I suspect some things, like the black window trim, are going soon, so I went ahead and ordered myself replacements of that. Seems like the little bits and baubles, adapters, connectors, crap like that tends to stay around, but others don't.

I suspect the 'roof wire harness' used in the DC to do the overhead console with temp gauge and compass is on its way out, they've been slowly dropping the price on it, it was like $250-300 when I got my truck a few years ago and now it's like $130.

Tough part is trying to gauge which is going away next and proactively order.

FrenchToasty likes this.
  24. May 26, 2022 at 5:23 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    it also makes me want to hold onto rebuild able parts; I saved my Alt and my steering rack, along with tie rods for spares I guess hahah the boarding begins

NUDRAT[OP] likes this.
  25. May 26, 2022 at 5:40 PM
    Fleawalker

Fleawalker New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    None (yet)
    The passenger side rear door moulding took the longest to come in. This part is in very short supply. The original one I ordered (black) never arrived. I asked the parts manager to get one for me in "any color" since it was going to be painted anyway. It arrived just in time. :yay: The paint shop wasn't able to find one.

One other note: except for the driver side, OEM outside door handles are no longer available. Fortunately mine are still in good shape. I bought some aftermarket handles in case the old seals needed replaced but they were good, so while I was at it I had the paint shop paint them too (for later use??)

shifty` likes this.
  26. May 26, 2022 at 5:50 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Yup. I've still got these two alts. I'm offloading some stuff, occasionally post over in 1st gen marketplace. I don't throw much of my OEM take-offs nor rebuildables away. Still got my low-mile OEM speakers. Gave my old OEM amp and OEM head unit to one of our members in CA who wanted a return to stock.

Aftermarket also, actually. I still have the bug deflector that came on my truck, meant to ask @Tundra2 if he wanted it when he passed through town, no hardware, but I'm guessing that'd be cheaper than a new bug deflector. All my

FrenchToasty[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. May 26, 2022 at 6:11 PM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    Fuck yeah I wanted that bastard. Didn't feel right to ask though... can I get dibs? I have a feeling ill be passing through again sometime in the next year or so...

FrenchToasty likes this.
  28. May 26, 2022 at 6:20 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Damn wish you'd asked, it would've been yours --- but consider it held. I meant to toss it in my bed with your doors and completely spaced. I haven't been sleeping worth a damn since like October and it's starting to fog my brain after too many months.

I'll check with my friends next door, they may have a sleeve from their barbells I can ship it safely in. Maybe I can get it to you quicker. I don't mind covering the ride.

alb1k likes this.
  29. May 26, 2022 at 7:52 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I basically did the same. 50% to cash before November 2020 in anticipation of disaster. Bought back in 4 months later when it was clear I was wrong. Oops.

30. May 26, 2022 at 7:55 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    Well you wen't really wrong. 2021 to early 2022 killed it in growth.

Products Discussed in

To Top