1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official Banks Power 3rd Gen Tundra Discussion

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by ToyFan, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Sep 20, 2023 at 6:15 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Hey everyone! Jay from Banks Power here. I have some interesting information to share. But you may be scratching your head asking, "Why is a diesel performance parts manufacturer on a Tundra forum?" Long before Gale Banks turbocharged the first diesel pickup truck engine (GM 6.2L back in the early 80s), the company was a big deal in high-performance gasoline engines. In fact, our lobby walls are plastered with Bonneville land speed records, off-shore marine records, endurance road racing wins, and dozens of patents having to do with engine development. The 65-year-old company is no stranger to gasoline engines.

With that said, as the Brand Manager and a Toyota fan, I'm spearheading efforts to develop new products for the Tundra and its little brother, the Tacoma. I'm particularly proud of the first products launched for Tundra; the Banks PedalMonster, iDash, and iDash Stealth Pod (coming soon). I'll explain the iDash first.

You've all seen OBD diagnostic tools like Scan Gauge and a dozen others on Amazon. Many are clunky and only display a few parameters. The iDash is the smallest, most powerful, and easiest-to-use diagnostic monitor and data logger. It offers more features than devices 5X the price and 3X the size. As of this posting, the iDash displays these PIDs (Parameter IDs) and will display 2-8 parameters on each of its 5 customizable pages. We're working with our friends at RPM Garage and Stellar Built to develop even more PIDs specific to the Tundra. For example, we know 3rd Gen owners would like to see what gear they're in, rather than just park, neutral, drive/reverse. So, we're reverse engineering the Commanded Gear PID. If there are other PIDs you'd like to monitor and/or log, please let me know.

So, where do we mount this cool little device? In the iDash Stealth Pod. I've shared a photo of an early version (3-D printed prototype). The Stealth Pod bolts to the stock A-pillar, is solidly mounted and offers the perfect line-of-sight while not taking up any of your valuable windshield space. We expect to have them available in October (2023).

This brings me to the Banks PedalMonster. Most of us are familiar with the Pedal Commander or other throttle controllers that find their way into our Facebook feeds. We created PedalMonster in response to Pedal Commander's shortcomings. We have a long history of buying competitive products and engineering out their problems. I don't want this to sound like an advertisement so here's a link to an article that explains why Pedal Commander causes check engine lights and the Banks PedalMonster doesn't. And, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that it's the only OBD-connected throttle controller. Thanks to this data connection, PedalMonster knows your year, make, model, speed, gear, and transmission type. It knows when you're in reverse and returns the truck to stock throttle response when backing up. This is one of several patented features. Here's a quick video.

We're also developing a Monster-Exhaust and Ram-Air cold air intake. Stay tuned for details.

We welcome your questions, comments, and feedback.

Tundra-Pod-Proto-v2.jpg

2. Sep 20, 2023 at 7:13 PM
    Woocawachie

Woocawachie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dickens
    Shows oil temp for the transmission ? Hooks up to the OBD port ?

Taikowaza likes this.
  3. Sep 20, 2023 at 7:37 PM
    ArticTundra

ArticTundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Cold
    I think the biggest elephant in the room is: does the pedal monster leave a digital fingerprint on the ECU or anything else in truck that Toyota can see and thus deny our warranty?

4. Sep 20, 2023 at 7:41 PM
    Ringwraith

Ringwraith New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Offroad Army Green
    Also very interested if it will show transmission oil temp

Taikowaza likes this.
  5. Sep 20, 2023 at 7:58 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Yes, the iDash is a plug-and-play OBD diagnostic device that displays all basic pressures, temps, speeds, voltages, etc that you'd expect, please more than a dozen parameters that help evaluate your engine performance when installing aftermarket parts. REgarding trans temp, yes, it displays trans temp. I've listed the temps below that you can currently see in a 3rd Gen.

Ambient Air Temp
    Ambient Air Temp Absolute
    CAC Temp Bank 1 Sensor 1
    Catalyst Temp Bank 1 Sensor 1
    Catalyst Temp Bank 1 Sensor 2
    Catalyst Temp Bank 2 Sensor 1
    Catalyst Temp Bank 2 Sensor 2
    Engine Coolant Temp
    Engine Oil Temp
    IAT Bank 1 Sensor 1
    IAT Bank 2 Sensor 1
    Manifold Air Temp
    Delta Temperature System
    Transmission Fluid Temp

bulldog93 and Taikowaza like this.
  6. Sep 20, 2023 at 8:05 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    There's no elephant. The PedalMonster is an inline device, meaning that it's in series with your accelerator pedal circuit. It intercepts the +5v pedal reference circuit, remaps the curves to your liking, and then forwards those manipulated signals to the truck's ECM. The ECM has no idea that it's not speaking directly to the pedal module. When you remove the PedalMonster, it's like it was never there. It doesn't leave any footprint in the ECM. The only way for the service technician to know you have the device is for them to actually see it with their own eyes. Removing it takes less than 5 minutes.

7. Sep 20, 2023 at 9:22 PM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    I’ve been using my pedal monster for a week. I also installed an idash (the OBDII monitoring screen/datalogger) for the past 3 days. I bought these after my experiments with the Burger BMS pedal tuner pulled a ton of codes.

I read that the pedal commander could pull too much power off the accelerator voltage and result in uncontrolled (or lost) acceleration. The Banks doesn’t do this. It updated its firmware including the Toyota specific settings via the app immediately upon my install.

I had the banks on order for about 6 months before it arrived. I installed it and shared my findings on this thread, created by @Tundra234: https://www.tundras.com/threads/banks-pedal-monster-review-its-a-win.125186/

Jay is a rarity in the industry, a third party vendor brand manager who is passionate about Toyotas and is working to promote R&D and development of products specifically for our trucks. The fact that he is hands on developing the pillar mounting systems for our 3rd gens as well as reverse engineering the PID for our commanded gear readouts is beyond expectations I’ve learned to anticipate in most forums.

He’s also gone above and beyond to help me on my order by letting me know that the 3D printed mounting modules for 3rd gen Tundras are incoming, and advised me not to buy the other pillar mounts as they wouldn’t fit (yet).

I’m not endorsed or supported by them in any way, but my pedal monster experience has made me a believer, I am enjoying TF out of this setup on sport mode 3 right now. It is power on tap and the pedal lag and throttle response are very close to the way I want them (or don’t want them re: lag).

I have the idash set up to adjust those pedal settings on the fly, along with three other parameters (tire-size adjusted MPH, turbo pressure, and pending commanded gear (currently just showing transmission selector but soon actual gear)).

These are high-quality professionally engineered products and the app for the pedal monster is solid. I definitely recommend the pedal monster and idash for our vehicles and look forward to the new Toyota-focused firmware update soon. Thanks Jay for supporting our trucks. If you DM Jay he will answer your questions.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  8. Sep 20, 2023 at 10:48 PM
    romanlegion

romanlegion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road Lunar Rock
    Looks like another good product from Banks Power. Glad to see you here, friend.

9. Sep 25, 2023 at 5:11 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Quick update regarding the Commanded Gear PID. For the past few days, our electrical engineers have been trying to locate Transmission Gear or Commanded Gear on the CAN Bus so Tundra owners can see what gear they're in while driving. It turns out that Toyota does not broadcast this data over OBD. In fact, it appears as though Toyota service techs don't even have access to that data. We have the Toyota OE scan tool and much to our surprise, commanded gear is not in the data stream. I'm curious if anyone is aware of a device, Toyota or aftermarket, that displays gear in the 2022+ Tundra. If someone else has cracked the data broadcast by the TCM, then we can use it to display Transmission Gear on the iDash.

2022-tundra-front-3-4.jpg

10. Sep 25, 2023 at 5:26 PM
    Xlocdnguyen

Xlocdnguyen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Loc
    Houston,TX
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Tundra SR5 Off-Road
    TRD Front Grille
    Also interested in this

11. Sep 25, 2023 at 10:39 PM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    Thank you Jay not only for your and your techs’ work on this but for sharing this with us in the Tundra community. I will look into this and share any findings, I think that Toyota techstream might be a great place to start. @ryanwgregg do you have any ideas about how we can go about finding the commanded gear in the data?

Jay I looked through the forum some more and found this thread https://www.tundras.com/threads/obd-thread-pids-apps-dashboards.60459/page-10#post-2867266

I still don't see or have that. Whether scrolling or search function. "Shift status" under engine/ect seems to do the trick for me though. TC lock up status appears above the gear indicator when it's active.
    On my 2021 I don't have the "Status of shift status..." either but I do have the "Shift Status" as well and that works for me also.”

@Gaston thanks for your post about finding this PID for the 2nd gen, can you share more about your OBDII reader and the Toyota add-ons for Fusion? I’m wondering if the shift status under engine/ect PID exists for the third gen, Jay at Banks is trying to find the shift status (he refers to it as commanded gear PID for 3rd gen to display in the datamonster system, thanks!

@ToyFan the app that is being discussed for finding the PID is https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    ToyFan[OP] likes this.
  12. Sep 26, 2023 at 3:24 PM
    rlc177

rlc177 Data Logger

Member:
    Northeast PA
    There is a pid available that indicates the shift status, In techstream its called "Shift Status" However the default pid list when you are in Engine live data called "Primary" will not have the pid you have to add it via a custom list or select "all data" or "AT" presets. This is part of the pid's sent to the Engine ECU from the Transmission TCU. The same pid is available when selected Transmission Live, and Live data from that list.

upload_2023-9-26_18-24-15.png

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    Taikowaza likes this.
  13. Sep 26, 2023 at 3:49 PM
    rlc177

rlc177 Data Logger

Member:
    Northeast PA
    Also if its possible I've been doing a lot of logging in regards to the POST TSB 2022-2023 dead pedal issue. I'm pretty sure there a logic issue with a specific low speed situation where the Accelerator input will be ignored by the ECU for 350ms - 600ms. I don't believe any manipulation of the accelerator input can resolve this.

I'd look for these conditions withing the first 10 minutes of a drive cycle, getting to 2nd or higher gear and slowing down to about 4 mph. A downshift from 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 is observed and if at the time the accelerator pedal is pressed if the output axis speed is reading 50rpm and in NT Speed Sensor is reading 150RPM or above the Throttle will be left at idle or briefly open for 125ms and re-close and after 300ms to 600ms respond in tune with requested input as if nothing happened.

flyfisher and Taikowaza like this.
  14. Sep 26, 2023 at 4:45 PM
    Fxclm5

Fxclm5 New Member

Member:
    The new scangauge 2 or II does show transmission gear.

Finding the pids I have had no luck, but scangauge got it working

Taikowaza likes this.
  15. Sep 26, 2023 at 6:01 PM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    Thank you @rlc177! Is techstream required to display the shift status in engine live data? Do you think that this data could be received without techstream via OBDII? Much appreciated!

Awesome news @Fxclm5 , if ScanguageII is able to display transmission gear, I’m confident that other displays like the idash will also be able to @ToyFan (Fxclm5 can you confirm that this is the actual gear number being displayed in ScanguageII, and not just Drive, Reverse, Neutral, etc)? Thanks!

16. Sep 26, 2023 at 6:18 PM
    rlc177

rlc177 Data Logger

Member:
    Northeast PA

17. Sep 26, 2023 at 6:40 PM
    Fxclm5

Fxclm5 New Member

Member:
    its actually scangauge3, i thought 2 was their newest edition, 3 is touchscreen, saw it on this forum i believe, saw a screen where it showed transmission gear # and possibly if torque converter was locked or engaged or activated or something like that as well

SC4333 likes this.
  18. Sep 26, 2023 at 7:59 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited TRD OR 4x4
    Not the greatest photo. Here are the PIDs I typically monitor when towing. The current gear is shown in addition to the torque converter lock up status and transmission temperature. This is with the ScanGaugeIII.

Great product, although I am considering the iDash w/ Stealth Pod due to the low profile design.

upload_2023-9-26_20-55-11.png

Taikowaza likes this.
  19. Sep 26, 2023 at 8:22 PM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    If you can get the gear #1 with scanguage3, I am confident we can get it with the idash. I’m also enjoying mine and look forward to the pillar integration. I like the pedal monster a lot so far after a week, and hope to see my current gear as a PID on the data monster. I’m confident they will figure it out! Great products and with Jay on the forum here we get instant feedback and support, pretty nice opportunity TBH

20. Sep 26, 2023 at 8:49 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited TRD OR 4x4
    Yep, it’s most definitely there, just have to figure out a way to find it.

I ran a banks setup on a 1997 F-350 w/ the 7.3 diesel many years ago. Great setup. On the tuning side of things, back then you installed a literal chip (piggyback) to the ECM

Different era, but they have always been at the forefront of innovation if not improving upon existing products.

Taikowaza[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Sep 26, 2023 at 10:04 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Is the Scan Gauge 3 in your truck? Are you able to see all gears or just first gear?

Taikowaza likes this.
  22. Sep 26, 2023 at 10:30 PM
    bulldog93

bulldog93 Usually tired...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Santa Rosa, California
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    Will the Stealth Pods be offered in colors to match the factory A-pillars?

Taikowaza likes this.
  23. Sep 26, 2023 at 10:48 PM
    flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    Don’t forget Stealth Pods for us 1st Gens! Been running Pedal Monster for about two years. My favorite mod.

24. Sep 27, 2023 at 5:22 AM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    It does for me with the Banks Pedal Monster. I have it on sport 4 right now and the turbos are basically on tap so much faster response. When I need the power it’s there far more immediately and intuitively to my driving style. I don’t have to jam the accelerator as before. In conjunction with the Toyota drive modes sport and tow/tow+ there are now so many new possibilities for my pedal response. The idash gives immediate control over the pedal monster’s settings without needing to open the app (app which works very well however on its own). There is still some pedal lag from full stop which I feel is a design flaw by Toyota. That said I have dialed in the pedal monster to improve that (but not entirely eliminate it). The PM makes my truck feel like power and torque on tap raring to get free lol, my only problem now is that I want to open her up and hate slow drivers in front of me ;) have to watch my speed! If you’re interested I suggest you DM Jay @ToyFan re details. I waited 6+ months for my PM from a dealer and Jay can help you get what you need way faster.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023
    bulldog93 likes this.
  25. Sep 27, 2023 at 5:27 AM
    pursuit2550

pursuit2550 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Maggie 1900
    LOL. Nothing but that. I just bought a OBD Link MX dongle and called it a day. When I do what to see any of my preset pids, I just turn on my phone and there it is. The Samsung S23 Ultra has a very nice display. Also the MX can read and erase certain codes.

WHOOSH-Bigger turbos and more gasss

Eurodriver[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Sep 27, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    Right, it adjusts the accelerator w/curves so it feels natural and doesn’t suddenly kick in.

Eurodriver[QUOTED] and bulldog93 like this.
  27. Sep 27, 2023 at 10:03 AM
    ToyFan

ToyFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    When the iDash Stealth Pod is available on bankspower.com, you'll be able to purchase color-matched SEM brand aerosol paint. We've chosen SEM because it's considered the gold standard for plastic painting by car audio installation experts. Here's the latest iteration of the dual iDash Stealth Pod. This carbon fiber 3-D print is too rough to paint so we left it natural color. However, as soon as I get a production unit, I'll color-match it and post a photo.

tundra-dual-3d-printed.jpg

28. Sep 27, 2023 at 10:11 AM
    ToyFan

ToyFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    The PedalMonster does not add power or boost. It allows you to remap the pedal. Contrary to popular belief, most accelerator pedals are not mapped linearly. They are often softened in the middle of the pedal's range of motion. This is done for emissions or fuel economy. You'll see an example of a stock map below. PedalMonster allows you to not only make its response curve linear but actually compensate for the "mushy" part in the middle. Unlike Pedal Commander and others who have harsh maps that feel like a light switch, our engineers spent months getting the curves as smooth as possible. What we hear, almost universally, "This is how the truck should have felt from the factory."

Thottle Curves Screen Shot.png

29. Sep 27, 2023 at 10:12 AM
    ToyFan

ToyFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    Stealth Pods are on the our to-do list for 1st and 2nd gen Tundras!

ryanwgregg and flyfisher[QUOTED] like this.
  30. Sep 27, 2023 at 10:53 AM
    Taikowaza

Taikowaza New Member

Member:
    Jay, is this a prototype of the dual stealth pod for our 3rd gen Tundras? It looks like you all decided to move forward with the concept!! Great news!

Products Discussed in

To Top