1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Banks Pedal Monster review...it's a win!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Tundra234, May 24, 2023.

1. May 24, 2023 at 6:51 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    I wanted to create this thread to comment on my experiences with the Banks Pedal Monster. I have replaced both of my Pedal Commanders in the Tundra and the 4Runner with the Banks Pedal Monster. I am extremely pleased with this purchase.

Now to the good part. I have ran my oldest PC for almost 5 years on two Tundras. It was jumpy on both during acceleration from a dead stop, and would also “gear hunt” quite often. I immediately noticed a driveability improvement after installing the Banks. Both the Tundra and 4R ease into acceleration without the jumpiness or lunging, and no more gear hunt in the Tundra. The whole throttle curve is smooth and feels more controlled. The app is really easy to use as well, and even has a Stock setting if you want to tone it down while towing. I currently run mine on “Sport with 5 bars” which is perfect in Fl traffic. Also having the benefit of the ActiveSafety and Reverse safety is a win and piece of mind. I also run mine using the Banks splitter with my ScanGauge3 with absolutely no issues. :thumbsup:

nasher75, wmsvol88, Y0TA PR0 and 11 others like this.
  2. May 24, 2023 at 6:51 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
  3. May 24, 2023 at 7:26 AM
    flyfisher

flyfisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4
  4. May 24, 2023 at 7:28 AM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    Glad the Banks is working for you. Curious if the jumping of the PC was just an issue with yours or if its common to more of their controllers. I know my other brand of control sounds to work more like your Banks, besides having a more responsive throttle I have no indications that I've added something.

Again, good review and I'm glad its working for you :thumbsup:

5. May 24, 2023 at 7:41 AM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Thanks for the feedback, George. I'm looking at installing the Bully Dog and it can tweak throttle response so I'll be pulling the PC out once I install it. I don't think I'll need either the PC or Banks.

Y0TA PR0, 2mchfun, Nbab23 and 2 others like this.
  6. May 24, 2023 at 9:32 AM
    Nbab23

Nbab23 2020 SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 crewmax
    Stillen CAI, DD 8” exhaust, Toytec Aluma coilovers, Icon leaf springs, SCS SR8 18x9 wheels, Cooper Rugged Trek 275/70/18 A/T Tires, Ecoological bumper shellz and grill surround, AJT interior black out kit, AJT shift knob. TRD pro style grill, VLED aqua blue footwell lights, MESO custom dome and map LED lights, swing case, Rough country bed mat, TRD pro headlights and fog lights, Morimoto XB tail lights and 3rd brake light.
    Yep real happy with mine as well, very refined compared to the PC. I also had the jumpiness on acceleration as well that has since been resolved with the Banks.

Dragracer_Art and Tundra234[OP] like this.
  7. May 24, 2023 at 9:40 AM
    Ginsterkev

Ginsterkev Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra Trd pro supercharged
    Tvs1900 magnuson blower Team rxp catch can Wescott designs collar lift on fox factory suspension Front and rear TRD sway bars
    I'll jump in, I could not agree more with the op as I use the same settings level 5 in sport and no jumpiness at all and very smooth love the reverse feature as well, I'm very happy with my purchase and love that I paired it with there I dash super gauge wich can control the pedal monster and monitor all types of things ....

bulldog93, Nbab23 and Tundra234[OP] like this.
  8. May 24, 2023 at 11:20 AM
    ToyFan

ToyFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    @Tundra234 @RobertD Glad you're enjoying the PedalMonster. We have months of engineering time invested in the throttle curves, not to mention all the safety features. One of the reasons Pedal Commander owners experience "jerkiness" is the throttle curve. We measured Pedal Commander's output in every power level. It "knees" over, which you can feel. And, the ECM sees this "knee" or hard edge. @texasrho83 The Bully Dog may serve you well. However, something you may find useful is PedalMonster's on-the-fly adjustability. You can adjust pedal response as you drive. Simply take your foot off the throttle for a moment, make the change, and keep driving. Flash tuners are typically set, then forgotten. Just an option...

alMonster!

chugs, bulldog93, GAknight and 4 others like this.
  9. May 24, 2023 at 11:27 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    Just bought one. I liked the pedal commander on my Challenger R/T but had similar issues as other people.

Looking forward to trying it!

Nbab23 likes this.
  10. May 24, 2023 at 12:28 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    I'm anxious to see how you like it. In addition to Reverse Safety, be sure to try out Low-Speed Trim. You'll find it in the menu on the app. Menu > Settings > Speed Trim. The higher you set the trim, the less sensitivity PedalMonster will add below 10mph. This is really handy when towing or driving on slick surfaces. You can leave it in an aggressive mode like Sport or Track without lurching off the line at a green light. As you exceed 10 mph, it rolls in its added sensitivity until it reaches your preset level. Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm at jtilles at bankspower dot com.

texasrho83, bulldog93 and Ginsterkev like this.
  11. May 25, 2023 at 7:51 AM
    Dragracer_Art

Dragracer_Art New Member

Member:
    Dawsonville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Crewmax 4x4
    5100's/+2.5" Eibachs, 18x9 +25 Methods,37x12.5 BFG KM3's
    I have 37" tires on my truck and stock 4.30 gearing.
    I'm 'gonna need to try one of these. I've had the pedal commander in the past and didn't care much for the jumpy throttle at low speeds... and when you adjust for that it cripples the feel at higher speeds.
    Sounds like this Banks gizmo is just what is needed.

Nbab23 likes this.
  12. May 25, 2023 at 8:00 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    You will be much happier with this compared to the PC.

flyfisher, Ginsterkev, Jarrow and 2 others like this.
  13. May 25, 2023 at 10:36 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    Mine arrives Friday. That’s quick shipping! I’m really looking forward to installing this since that initial lag when hitting the pedal is beyond irritating LOL.

I wish Banks had a CAI for the 3rd gen! Are there any plans to make one?

Ginsterkev and Nbab23 like this.
  14. May 26, 2023 at 2:53 AM
    dpast88

dpast88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Furlong, PA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tree
    This looks real promising and I am considering this over a HP tuners remote tune. What happens in the event I need the OBD plug for something else (or even a dealer or mechanic needs it). Do you need to completely remove the unit? I wasn’t sure how long the install and removal takes.

Dennis

ToyFan[QUOTED] and Jarrow like this.
  15. May 26, 2023 at 5:14 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    You can unplug it from the OBD port, and you do not have to remove the unit. When you unplug it to use the port, it returns the truck to stock pedal.

bulldog93 likes this.
  16. May 26, 2023 at 5:16 AM
    Doxiedad

Doxiedad Distinguished Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road Cavalry Blue
    So with the Pedal monster I won't be able to use another OBD2 device at same time. If I unplug it and then plug it back in will it have the settings saved or will I have to re do them? The only other OBD thing I use sometimes is OBD Fusion with a wireless transmitter to monitor Trans temps when towing heavy (rare)

17. May 26, 2023 at 5:36 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    So you can use another device at the same time. You would need the OBD splitter that Banks has on their site. To use another device with the splitter, you run the Pedal Monster in No OBD mode found in the settings. I run my ScanGauge 3 full time with mine. The only thing that you lose with running in No OBD mode is the reverse safety feature.

bulldog93, ToyFan, texasrho83 and 2 others like this.
  18. May 26, 2023 at 11:51 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    Ok, what’s the secret to removing the connector at the top of the accelerator pedal?

IMG_2800.jpg

19. May 26, 2023 at 12:07 PM
    ToyFan

ToyFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Black Rhino Wheels
    bulldog93 likes this.
  20. May 26, 2023 at 12:54 PM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    Thanks. Got it installed and took it for a quick test drive.

Two things - it would be nice if each setting kept its own “power” levels. The power setting stays whether its city or track. So high setting on city means high setting on track, which is crazy LOL. It would be nice to have each mode set at different levels for quick transition.

Other issue is that when you hit the top of the power level for city it switches to sport low, and so on. I probably understand some logic there that if you want to go that high on city, then sport is your next level.

Other issue is that I can’t get reverse safety to turn green. I calibrated it twice but it says it can’t detect the reverse gear.

On the positive side, track mode is freaking crazy fun, that setting might scare a weaker man. City is nice to have that pedal delay removed. I bet this is really useful on the highway, or in my case, when passing slowpokes on country roads.

This is just my initial experience, take it with a grain of salt from a guy who couldn’t figure out how to remove a connector! :rofl:

Ginsterkev and bulldog93 like this.
  21. May 26, 2023 at 1:37 PM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    I just realized I did the test drive in Normal, not Sport mode. Holy smokes.

That was pretty fun, now I gotta try it in Sport mode! Now where’s my helmet…
    :burnrubber:

22. May 26, 2023 at 2:06 PM
    bosscib

bosscib New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Pro
    I've had a Pedal Monster on my 2020 for about two years. I meant to do a review and forgot. I love it, and it was one of my favorite things I bought for my truck. I have it set pretty aggressive and it's still so damn smooth. Once I found the setting I like I hardly ever touch it. When I take it into the dealer or let anyone else drive my truck I just change it to stock - takes 10 seconds on my phone app. I have the splitter from Banks so I can run my dash cam at the same time and I never had any issues.

I have a 2023 coming soon, so I'll be selling the Pedal Monster/splitter from my 2020 and looking to order a new one.

bulldog93 likes this.
  23. May 27, 2023 at 8:10 AM
    SpyderRC

SpyderRC New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Limited Nightshade
    My biggest gripe about my PC is when accelerating on a bumpy road, it’s like I’m riding a bucking Bronco. I’ve always pinned it to the fact of the sensitivity I have it at and also the E rated Nittos I’m running. They’re like rocks so on bumpy roads my foot bounces off and on the accelerator. I know I could turn down the sensitivity, think I’m only at city +2 but I like where it’s at on smooth roads.
    Is this the jumpiness on acceleration with the PC you guys are talking about? And the banks would solve this?

24. May 27, 2023 at 8:15 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    The Banks is alot smoother. Sent you a PM.

SpyderRC[QUOTED] likes this.
  25. May 27, 2023 at 8:38 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    I’m still waiting on answers from Banks about the reverse safety not turning on or this thing is getting returned.

26. May 27, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    Not all vehicles have it. I believe their site says perform a firmware update. Also check to see what mode you are on in the "vehicle setting" in the app. You could also set your speed trim. Did you send Jay an email? @ToyFan

27. May 27, 2023 at 9:20 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    Thanks. I did do the firmware update when it was installed. Says its firmware version 13. I will check for firmware updates again the next time I go for a drive.

I guess it doesn’t have reverse safety. I set vehicle mode to “auto-detect” and it says it can’t detect reverse gear. I guess I can set it to city or stock before I go into reverse.

I still think they need to keep the power levels for each setting separate and not have the power levels carry over to each mode unless they have a good reason to do that.

It makes more sense for each mode to have separate settings so the user can keep it on their custom settings they like instead of having to constantly adjust it everytime they switch modes.

Sorry I’m being a little picky about this, just giving feedback about the things that I think should be changed. The rest of it works perfectly, I don’t want it to seem like its not a good product.

I’m curious if anyone else feels the same way I do regarding my (minor) complaints.

28. May 27, 2023 at 9:30 AM
    Tundra234

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Alot of them
    I am running mine in "NO OBD" and Sport 5 with the speed trim set to high and no issues with reverse. Jay will reply once he sees the post.

29. May 27, 2023 at 9:42 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    Oh. I didn’t try “No OBD”. Do I unplug the OBD if I use that setting?

30. May 27, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    I wish i had bought one
    I have the bullydog as well. I love the sport trans shift, but the sport throttle is very choppy, im considering a banks unit for the pedal

texasrho83[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top