1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Your thoughts on the lack of workers- Great Dave Ramsey with Mike Row video

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by trucksareforgirls2, May 5, 2023.

1. May 18, 2023 at 1:02 PM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    A wife and two daughters taught me that the differences between men and women are far from just cultural. It's a long video, but you might benefit from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=814eR5K7KD8

2. May 18, 2023 at 2:00 PM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    A lot to address here. But let's start with this: we're just going to gloss over the notion that the media is portraying a hispanic man as a white- supremacist? Damn, they are good.

But I agree with the rest of this, as long as we acknowledge the silliness of a P.O.C. acting as a white-sup. But that's the narrative that sustains the "link" (as you clarified below).

Semantics really, but I guess if we had to focus it, let's use their term: "Assault rifles". Also, give them an inch??? Maybe I naturally avoid certain corners of the internet, but I don't see the fear mongering. They actually will not stop at AR's. e.g. Canada.

LOL. I'd help you load the gun.

One only needs to record & review their actions and words. They've been pretty bold about it as of late.

Pew Pew, brutha. :thumbsup::cheers:

3. May 18, 2023 at 2:05 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    Re. sources...

Everyone is going to lean one way or another on every topic. I try to make an effort to read between the lines. I don't take anything from either side at face value–especially a headline. If I see one from, say Fox, that looks fairly inflammatory, I try to treat it the same as when I see inflammatory headlines at CNN because they both depend on clicks for their income. Headlines are designed to trigger outrage, incredulity, and/or an amygdala response in their viewership. They make the headlines intentionally inflammatory to get more clicks.

When forming my own opinion on some news story, I try the following:

1. Consider the source.
    2. READ THE ACTUAL ARTICLE. Do not spread headlines as if they are the story. Often, the body of the story contradicts the impression the headline suggests.
    3. Consider how a source that leans the other way views the same story.
    4. Do not allow "journalists" to tell you how you ought to think about a topic. Obtain only the facts, as difficult as this may be.
    5. Form your own opinion, having gathered info from both sides and having attempted to see through the bias.

You will still lean one way or another, but maybe you won't view people who think differently than you as replete with moral failure. :notsure:

4. May 18, 2023 at 2:18 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    OK, back on topic. Does this AI thing want to work or is it a lazy slacker?

PomDad and rruff like this.
  5. May 18, 2023 at 2:27 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    My dad always told me something: If you want to know the truth on something, go to 3 seemingly dissimilar sources. Read the article in full. The places where each source overlaps are the truths. The places where they don't are either lies or opinions. And if little to nothing lines up, the story's purpose is likely to evoke an emotional response out of you and thus should be ignored, and that's probably not a valid news source. This is also a good way of determining whether your news source is full of shit or not. If we all evaluated our news sources in this way, I think some of us would find that our preferred news outlets and/or news personalities are peddling nothing more than garbage.

It does what you tell it, and produces results that are not always true, but in a way that can be easily construed as truth. You just have no way to know whether it's actually the truth or not unless you do legwork.

I've seen it kick out code that's got some pretty horrendous bugs, but it does so 50x faster than any CS intern we've ever used, and to better quality. It cannot, however, beat a senior developer in quality, only in speed. So what we find is really effective at work is to aim for multiple example outputs, and the senior/expert level person can choose which is most logical and review for errors. However, we've also found AI to be exceptional at finding bugs that several senior people were unable to track down, like, stupidly well. It's also great at reviewing firewall policies for errors and finding small typos in configurations and code.

It never bitches. It won't talk about its food/eating lifestyle choices. It doesn't expect cordials, nor expect any specific addressing of name or otherwise. I'd say given the knowledge sets the versions thus far have put out, it's right at least 2/3 of the time.

6. May 18, 2023 at 3:15 PM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Have you not watched the Terminator movies?

7. May 18, 2023 at 3:27 PM
    Melikeymy beer

Melikeymy beer No cooler for you!

Member:
    Muscogee Nation
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platypus Tundra
    In the next sequel the Terminator just sits in the basement playing Call of Duty. It's pretty lame.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    SnrDisregardo and shifty` like this.
  8. May 18, 2023 at 3:32 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    Liked your post!... just pointing out that this ^ does not necessarily have to be the case.

I don't think that's a bad strategy, but an aggregate average of lies, absolutely positively does not = truth.

For both of you, reading diverse sources is way, way better than the rampant addiction people have to getting outraged over the same BS lies on a daily basis.

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. May 18, 2023 at 3:41 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    "people to try their damnedest with wild feats of Olympic-level mental gymanstics to paint up non-cisgender people as homicidal AR wielding maniacs"

First of all, you'll be able to find someone of any demographic you can think of, saying and doing absolutely anything you can imagine! A good survey is required before you can call it a universal quality or belief of the group.

Realistically, I think that demographic is pretty low on the scale of violent force threats. They are anti gun for the most part... and are also lacking the male rage hormones. Lots of yelling and screaming, shaming and canceling... that's about it. They use the press and government to get their way.

ATV25 and CTundraForMe like this.
  10. May 18, 2023 at 3:45 PM
    CTundraForMe

CTundraForMe New Member

Member:
    It's not so much WHAT is said by the talking heads of the world, but WHY are they saying it.

I've got a great quote from Hitler about how great having complete gun registration was for his country.

ATV25 and rruff like this.
  11. May 18, 2023 at 6:37 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Ah, two invocations of Godwin's law in one thread.

12. May 18, 2023 at 6:42 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    I used to have guns and carried a .357 for awhile when I lived in my truck. Then I realized I didn't need or want one. It was the right decision... and it still is.

But... though someone could make a pretty good case for restricting gun ownership and use, the evidence it's strong enough to actually do it. Like I said earlier, whatever improvement we might realize in the violent death stats it would be a pittance compared to the total violent deaths from plain old accidents. So get over it and find something more important to worry about.

13. May 18, 2023 at 6:45 PM
    rruff

rruff New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR DC Long
    The talking heads say what they are told to say. The general public mostly means well, and are misled by half-truths and simplistic logic. This is true of both sides of the debate.

Randy Morton likes this.
  14. May 18, 2023 at 7:52 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    What is this cleaning you speak of? That's what those fuck trophies are for. :D

PermaFrostTRD likes this.
  15. May 18, 2023 at 7:56 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    :rofl:

Always enjoy when Jason comes out of the woodwork and drops a sentence or two.

16. May 18, 2023 at 9:01 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Man I’ve tried and tried to get my son to show some damn initiative and help with house chores, yard work, and even finding a job so his ass can pay rent. If he doesn’t shape the fuck up I’m kicking his ass out.

I don’t know what the hell is wrong with his generation, but he and all of his friends are seemingly incapable of functioning as adults and being productive. At this rate I will be damn near retired by the time he’s going to move out if he’s left to his own devices.

Starting tomorrow I’m going to lay down the law. Until he finds a job there will be no more cartoons, no more bedtime stories, no more movie nights, no more swimming, and no more t-ball or soccer! Play time is fucking over! You’re going to be 6 years old soon bud, time to start pulling your weight and planning for your future!

17. May 19, 2023 at 6:02 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I know this was a joke but...

My kids had chores at 5, they have animals to care for twice daily, yard work, etc. This year it's probably time to start them on the tractor and mowing/driving. They get paid and required to save a certain amount of weekly allowance for the "rainy days."

Never too early for starting good habits. I'm raising a Gen Z and Alpha. We are responsible for what the future generations become.

18. May 19, 2023 at 7:51 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    100%. My kids have jobs and responsibilities that fit their ages. We don't give an allowance without them working for it. We will give them bonuses for helping out on bigger jobs that eat up most of the day (cleaning out the garage or one of the sheds, tilling the garden, cleaning and laying new straw in the chicken coop, etc).

My oldest is mowing our lawn and offering his services to our neighbors for a discounted rate. He is very motivated by things he wants to purchase. There's a $300 drone that one of his buddies has that he really wants. He's most of the way there and only needs to mow a few more yards.

It is absolutely imperative to instill this kind of delayed gratification through working toward a goal. One of the big problems with the despair we see in younger people is that they don't understand how much can be achieved over a longer time frame.

19. May 19, 2023 at 9:23 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    *adjusts tinfoil hat*

imo, that is/was precisely the goal (or at least one of the goals) of these social media programs with instant gratifications and "likes"
    Zuckerberg may have started the idea, but the implementation and propagation of "social media" offsprings have "See eye Hay" written all over it. Fear of the lack of likes or dislikes -> control.

*removes tinfoil hat*

20. May 19, 2023 at 10:18 AM
    Warreng

Warreng New Member

Member:
    my ol man lent me $1000 when I was 12 to buy my first dirtbike and he made sure i paid every cent back. There was no timeline on the loan but it had to be paid.
    32 years later I am still riding dirt bikes.

21. May 19, 2023 at 10:33 AM
    Jernik

Jernik New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Tundra Crewmax
    I thought you were going to say "32 years later I'm still making payments on that damn bike!" :rofl:

22. May 19, 2023 at 10:41 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    I have told my kids this is the best years of their lives (up to around 25 or so). Life will kick you in the balls, careers, cars, responsibilities, homes, relationships, etc...

Not long ago I had a discussion with my oldest about debt and what college can/cannot do for her. We did some simple napkin math and I actually learned something. I had no idea student loans were not 1-2%...but in reality much higher. It really opened her eyes to the effects of having/not having college debt and having the right degree vs a BS one.

23. May 19, 2023 at 4:20 PM
    CTundraForMe

CTundraForMe New Member

Member:
    Being able to have an intelligent conversation with your children is huge. Not everything, but huge.

Kudos.

24. May 19, 2023 at 5:22 PM
    Tundra Dude 45

Tundra Dude 45 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR 4.6L DC 4X4
    8” BAMuffler, TRD airflow accelerator, front window tint/windshield sun stripe, debadged tailgate 4x4 emblem, trimmed mud flaps, antenna removed stainless screw added, TRD rear sway bar, AFE high flow air filter.
    No tinfoil hat this is the goal so we can be enslaved in the future.

shifty` and PermaFrostTRD like this.
  25. May 19, 2023 at 5:29 PM
    PomDad

PomDad we having snacks?

Member:
    First Name:
    Conrad
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Limited
    "And that's how I taught my kid about the dangers of 16% interest rates"

shifty` and Jernik[QUOTED] like this.
  26. May 20, 2023 at 8:28 AM
    Solid Snake

Solid Snake New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC 4x4 V8
    When I was about 20 or 21, I had a 1990 Bronco II. It developed some serious engine issues (surprise surprise). It was going to cost a couple thousand to fix it. Being young and dumb, and the fact that I really liked this vehicle, I wanted to fix it. My grandfather was fairly wealthy, self-made from being a miser his entire life. He lived poor but had money. I called him up asking for a loan. He loaned me the money, plus interest. We agreed on a bi-weekly payment amount. Every two weeks on payday, I would mail him a check. Once the principal was paid, he returned my check with "pain in full" stamped on it. It was basically a test. Since held up my end and never missed a payment, he refused to accept the interest. If I had started missing payments, making excuses, or saying things like "Eh, I'm short this week, can I just pay extra next time?" he would have definitely collected and kept every cent of the interest. This was a valuable learning experience for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top