1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

You can see any band/musician in history - who and why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Shamrock92, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Oct 31, 2021 at 4:32 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Yes - it’s a funny thing when a band member quits/passes - some groups can get away with it - some can’t.

I mean off top of my head, Stones obviously have done it and kept on rocking but bands like the Doors tried it and failed miserably.

It’s tougher when your an “established” band to me - but obviously the precedent is there. Van Halen anyone ?? Replacing Diamond Dave with Sammy who was replaced by a manequij I think for a couple of months only to be replaced by Dave again briefly wasn’t it.

Of course - there is one band who stands out far and away in replacing members - KISS. I mean they hired a guy from a tribute band to fill in and made him a member - that’s the stuff of bad movie plots right there…guitarist is making $350 a week playing bars in a cover band 6 nights a week and the band comes to see him and hires him to replace their lead guitarist on an upcoming tour !! Special mention to Lynyrd Skynyrd here too - again everyone in the band dies so you go out and start hiring relatives to keep the band name alive (and people keep coming to see them). Still - KISS shows how far some

2. Oct 31, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    Jackstraw

Jackstraw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD Off Road
    ‘zackly

3. Oct 31, 2021 at 6:24 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    I have a few guitar late guitar heroes or bands that I would love to see live: Hendrix, SRV, Django, Robert Johnson, Jeff Buckley, the original Led Zeppelin lineup. Never got to see Duane Allman or Glenn Campbell either. But at least we have records and some concert footage to enjoy.

More than any of the above, I would LOVE to see Niccolò Paganini perform his insane and nearly-superhuman compositions for violin and guitar. There have been so few people in the world even able to play his stuff. I imagine hearing the guy who wrote them perform them would be an incredible experience.

Sunnier and Cpl_Punishment like this.
  4. Oct 31, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I love Sabbath but Ozzy is just obnoxious live. I have no need to hear him scream "come on" every 3 seconds.

5. Oct 31, 2021 at 6:34 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    The one I find stupid is people raising their phones for slow songs where it used to be lighters. I get that far fewer people smoke now than in the 60s and 70s but it still makes me shake my head.

6. Oct 31, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Just so many…

Metallica would have been bad ass to see in the 80’s.

Motley Crue. They were nuts....and I liked it. LIVE wire!!

AC/DC. Back in the day….damn!

Van Halen. I can’t think of any reason someone shouldn’t listen to a song a day from them.

TOOL. I may still do this. Concerts now are so expensive and restrictions suck. I may have named my old dog after the lead singer. One of my favorite songs...

Stone Temple Pilots with Scott. I really like a lot of their music.

Pink Floyd with Rodger Waters. I’ve never done illegal drugs, but I like to think this would be a good concert to attend.

KISS would have been pretty bad ass to see 30 years ago.

Linkin Park….great band.

Dr Dre, Ice Cube would have been fun to see post NWA. Tupac would have been great anytime. I liked his All Eyes on Me and Machiavelli Albums.

Michael Jackson. What a performer and most likely will always be the King of Pop. He was a storyteller in his music.

Chris Brown in his younger years. He was a great performer that let it all go due to the pressure.

Rob Zombie. That’s one crazy MFer. Funny to me why he does music to fund his real passion.

Guns & Roses. I like a lot of their early stuff.

Foo Fighters. Great band and I like a lot of what they do on and off the stage.

Five Finger Death Punch. Same reason as the Foo.

Lady love up in here:

Ariana Grande. I like a lot of her songs and damn she is beautiful.

Billie Eilish. She is beautiful and amazingly talented, but what makes her stand out is her off stage actions. I would actually like to shake her hand and have a cup of coffee with her.

Lizzy Hale with Halestorm…because girls rock.

Lita Ford. She has been rocking out forever. Would have enjoyed seeing her in the 80’s.

Lady Gaga- This woman has so much talent she gives it away.

Adele. Another woman that has a voice that is amazing. She also inspired one of the best SNL skits of all time.

Normally, you will never hear country coming from any of my speakers, but there are a few that deserve a hat tip.

George Straight. I could definitely sit down and have a beer with this man. I do enjoy his music.

Toby Keith. His music has always been fun to me.

Garth Brooks. His music is easy to make fun of people with. Long story, and I got some mileage off his songs.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Taco-Spike, Trooper2 and TILLY like this.
  7. Oct 31, 2021 at 7:03 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    @Shamrock92

With regards to cell phones:

I was lucky enough to see The White Stripes during their final tour and made it to a couple of their intimate secret shows. During one of them, when Jack and Meg were playing for the hundred or so of in attendance outdoors on a bridge, he asked the fans to make it about us and them and put away all electronics.....and people actually did.

It was from this outting, they played about 5-6 songs for us lucky fans. It's actually show #2....show #1 was them on a city transit bus with me and about 30 or so others where they played Hotel Yorba and Wheels on the bus.

During Jack White's solo tour across Canada before Covid, his show was NO cell phones. We were searched and anyone who had a phone was made to put it in a provided security pouch and could only be opened in the venue hallways away from the show, by staff.

8. Oct 31, 2021 at 7:17 PM
    Jackstraw

Jackstraw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC TRD Off Road
    You’ve hit the nail on the head about some not being able to be replaced. Awhile back the former lead singer from Bad Company began fronting Queen and the music was surprisingly good…but not Freddy Mercury good. Like you said, Freddy was a one of a kind icon. In situations like that the band needs to be upfront with no pretense that they’re still the same band. If the band is honest with their fans and the fans know it going into the show then it’s possible to appreciate the fact that you’re going hear some seriously great musicians playing songs that you know and love and just appreciate it for what it is. I never saw the Dead, but I did see the Furthur Festival after Jerry had died and it was great time. Nobody believed it was still the Grateful Dead but it was a great show in its own right.

9. Oct 31, 2021 at 7:35 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Oh yeah, if a band wants to change their name when they change a key member, I'd be all for that.

1lowlife and Jackstraw[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Oct 31, 2021 at 9:21 PM
    ACDC2ZZTop

ACDC2ZZTop Rock n Roll!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Tundra double cab 5.7L V8
    All cosmetic so far see my posts in 2nd gen Black out chrome in progress….
    Put on a good concert last time he was in Portland
    Played some Cream and everything else up to date at that point.

11. Oct 31, 2021 at 9:25 PM
    ACDC2ZZTop

ACDC2ZZTop Rock n Roll!

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Tundra double cab 5.7L V8
    All cosmetic so far see my posts in 2nd gen Black out chrome in progress….
    Saw AIC when they opened for Van Halen ( Sammy Hagar era ) they put on a good set. At one point as a gag VH sent a bunch of live sheep onto stage while they were performing. Rock n roll rules!

nhw544[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 31, 2021 at 10:14 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    I've seen a lot of shows in the last 41 years..
    One band I wish I would have seen?

INXS.
    IMHO, Michael Hutchence was one of the best front men ever...

DLR is a close second, but I saw VH on the Diver Down tour..

Freddie Mercury and Queen would have been nice to see back in the day as well..

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    Jackstraw, 2mchfun and Jack McCarthy like this.
  13. Nov 1, 2021 at 3:11 AM
    Desert Dog

Desert Dog Nobody rides for free

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 AC 2WD 4.7l
    Bilstein 5100's, SPC UCA's, ATS HD leaves
    Ah, man, tough call. I actually pondered the question a few days before answering since it was a toss-up for me between Hendrix and Zeppelin and if I absolutely had to be forced to answer with just one it would be Zeppelin.

Page and Jones were already accomplished studio musicians since the mid-60's, they had an incredibly talented rhythm section in Jones and Bonham, crossed genres nearly flawlessly, always highly admired their incorporating their ethnicity and influences into their music so well, particularly the Celtic/folky stuff, they had the showmanship down pat, they had spectacle and they were the biggest, at the time at least, and they weren't afraid of anyone else. Even the Stones didn't dare go on stage immediately after Skynyrd set the tone at Knebworth one year. Lol!

Hendrix would have been my 2nd choice and the Beatles my 3rd. Life has been and was good "back in the day" and I've been fortunate to see just about everyone I wanted to at some point in one incarnation or another.

Re: the loss of a member. One band that nobody has mentioned that pulled it off and had more success after the loss was AC/DC. It's virtually unheard of to lose your singer and succeed but they did it and were more successful than before. Saw them twice in the very early 80's. They were very good.

Misc: Although I don't really listen to them I caught 3 bands decades ago on weird double-bills worth mentioning.

1st was Queensryche at a small theater that I believe has long since been torn down in Pittsburgh, Pa. Nobody knew who they were or had heard their material and they had just enough to get through about a 30-40 minute set, tops, but you could tell even back then those guys were "going places".

2nd was Yngwie Malmsteen, again in Pittsburgh but a different small venue. He was maybe 19 or 20(?). He had just come to America not long before but that kid could play and people just sat there silently watching him. I prefer Blackmore myself but the kid could play guitar.

3rd was Pantera at a really tiny bar in Dallas, Tx. Not even sure it's there anymore. Phil and Rex weren't even in the band yet so that oughtta tell ya how long ago this was. Lol. Darrell was a skinny, baby-faced kid but, man, he could play, I'll give him that. They didn't look or sound anything like what they eventually did. Didn't think they would get as big as they did but life can be unpredictable.

So many bands/musicians across multiple genres, some multiple times, but for me it would be Led Zeppelin.

Edit: the bar in Dallas was Matley's on Skillman St.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  14. Nov 1, 2021 at 3:58 AM
    maxdriver

maxdriver New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘23 GRolla, sans ‘19 Tundra
    Tom Petty. Saw him 3 times and regret not seeing him more. So many great songs...a rock radio jukebox.

John Prine. Never saw him live and have listened to his music for many years. What a songwriter.

15. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:11 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    The Beatles, without a doubt. Greatest band in history by far.

My son and I saw Alice Cooper a couple of weeks ago. I wasn’t expecting much, since he’s 74. Holy shit it was the best show I’ve been to in my life, no exaggeration. I highly recommend going to see him if you get the opportunity.

ezdog and 2mchfun like this.
  16. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:11 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Yeah, Queen would have been amazing. Best front man of all time?

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  17. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:19 AM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 TSS Onroad, 24 Camaro 2SS 6.2 L
    To much to list:)
    I would have loved to see Motley Crue in their prime and would have loved being in my prime when I saw them:)

steved0xTD likes this.
  18. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:35 AM
    Desert Dog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 AC 2WD 4.7l
    I'm thinking apples to apples that title would arguably go to Elvis Presley but I could be incorrect.

19. Nov 1, 2021 at 4:46 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Though I’m not a huge fan of his music, I can’t argue with his greatness. Didn’t really think of him as a “front man” since he was a solo act though.

20. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    Desert Dog

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 AC 2WD 4.7l
    I understand and don't necessarily disagree but if we allow distinctions like this to have a categorical place then would this not disqualify John and Paul also? If not, why not? Lol.

War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:16 AM
    ezdog

ezdog New Member

Member:
    Gateway To The West
    Vehicle:
    2001 RCLB V8,4WD 2015 RCLB 5.7,4WD
    They are known Today at least as "Dead & Company" and "Dead and Friends "for the record too.

Though clearly everyone knows what you mean if just saying the Dead or any combination ever implied probably.

They were also originally named "The Warlocks" but I digress!

22. Nov 1, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    They’re mostly known for being part of a band. As far as I know, Elvis was a solo act exclusively. While they’re all still fronting a band, I was really just talking about groups.
    That said, while The Beatles are the best ever in my opinion, and John and Paul were brilliant, I don’t think I’d put them up there with Freddie Mercury, Robert Plant, or others as “front men”. They didn’t have the vocal ability or stage presence those guys did. Just a completely different animal.
    None of The Beatles were phenomenal singers like Elvis, but I don’t think he could approach their creative ability.
    This is what I immediately think of when talking about great front men:

https://youtu.be/OVzvoPP6M50

Cpl_Punishment and 1lowlife like this.
  23. Nov 1, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    Uhhhh....

Uhhhh.... New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Limited DC
    7” BDS, 37s
    Wow that was fantastic. I never was a big Queen fan - they were before my time (not that that matters). Just never got into their music. But man....seems Freddie was amazing in concert. Always knew he had a great voice...but his stage presence is masterful in that video.

24. Nov 1, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Maybe not a fair comparison because I haven't seen Queen live but I would nominate Bruce Dickinson for that honour too.

25. Nov 1, 2021 at 7:29 AM
    TommyTundra

TommyTundra Oh God the anger’s changing me

Member:
    Long Island NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 PRO
    If I have to choose only one it would be Lynyrd Skynyrd prior to Ronnie Van Zant,Steve Gaines and Cassie Gaines passing away.
    Saw them a few times with Johnnie Van Zant as front and Ed King too at Roseland but just not the same.
    One of the greatest American bands.

26. Nov 1, 2021 at 7:35 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Hendrix for sure

Grateful Dead early lineup but only with Pigpen singing. For such a young guy he had soul and talent. I know a lot of people hate the Dead, go listen to them with Pigpen and they're completely different.

I saw the Stones at Oldchella but would love to see them again.

Pink Floyd would be amazing

Nirvana would be rad to see live

Black Sabbath early lineup

I could probably think of more but I've gotta get back to work.

27. Nov 1, 2021 at 8:28 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    As a "head" I get this. As a guitarist, I could not disagree any further.

Trey is amazing. But when he did the fare thee well stuff in 15, he was Trey playing some of Jerrys riffs. He still sounded like Trey. Ross compressor and all.

Mayer has become a student of JG's tone and playing style, essentially changing his own sound and teaching himself how to play banjo, but on a guitar (because that was JG's subconscious approach). He gets the percussiveness from the guitar on tracks that need it (Althea comes to mind) but also can get melodic and far out when necessary (Fire, Begonias, Terrapin... ).

I get that most dont like Mayer's personality. I get it and would agree as he kind of rubs me the wrong way. The dude can flat out rip on guitar to begin with, and to set aside his own style, and embrace a history for the sake of the music is something I have a ton of respect for.

28. Nov 1, 2021 at 9:59 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    I felt the same way, until I saw Dead and Co play Dodger stadium a few years ago. I don't like Mayer, but when I saw and heard him play it all changed for me. He's undeniably a great guitar player and he meshed well with the band.

Jackstraw[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Nov 1, 2021 at 10:18 AM
    Bappa

Bappa Off the grid

Member:
    First Name:
    Bo
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CrewMax
    Coil overs (3”) and 295 tires, ESP storage, grab bar; RCI skids; tinted windows; rear air bags
    The Beatles were the best band (IMHO) but not really a live performance show band. Live shows were just starting to get refined when the Beatles quit giving them. Their sound equipment was subpar and really it was just a popularity gig. I’m glad I saw them but it really didn’t sound all that good.
    Even though I went to a lot of concerts in the 60’s and 70’s, I really didn’t care for “live” albums. I preferred quality recordings over screaming fans.

30. Nov 1, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    steved0xTD

steved0xTD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 4x4 TRD Off-road
    I would have liked to have seen Gov't Mule with Allen Woody. I liked Andy and I like Jorgen, and I love the new direction ("new"... since it has been quite some time now) with Danny Louis, but it would have been really cool to see some of the early shows.

Toyotoholic and Shamrock92[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top